What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
This morning I had 6.0 or 5.9 as I took 2 readings, down from yesterday's 7.0 so I am quite pleased about that. I hope that tomorrow's will be firmly back in the 5s where I usually am. I have discovered through doing this that what I ate the night before doesn't seem to bear any relation to my fasting reading. The amount of stress I am under does though :?

As I do this test I like to imagine us all sat at one large table doing our tests and discussing them and then all having coffee together (I would have loved to have said croissant but thought better of it :wink: I certainly haven't eaten one for years ). Even though we all do our tests at very different times it's a nice picture.

Wendywu

Dislikes
Track running. Drunks. Bigots and intolerance in any form. Bullying.
This morning it was 5.6 which puzzles me because at bedtime it was 5.9 and I have never known it go down overnight before.

Mind you, I dropped 4 mmols in 40 mins of exercise yesterday which is a lot for me in that short time given that the exercise was a lot less than I usually do. It was the same sort of exercise, at the same time of day, in the same place and using the same rowing machine as normal. The weather was exceptionally warm - maybe that had some sort of effect.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Khaleb's was 8.0 but he got a correction dose at 2am an he was 16mmol (He'd also had a correction at 11pm). He's got some pretty funky stuff coming out his nose this morning.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Mine was 6.9 this morning, i also had to have a 2am correction this morning, so i expected it to be a little bit higher.

It's quite interesting seeing what everyones readings are and that everyone is pleased or dis-pleased with different results.

What i feel is good for me others think is a little higher, there's been some morning readings for some people that i would consider a bit low, just shows everyone is different and it really is based on individuals not so much guidelines.

I spoke with a woman once when i was getting my pump when we were asked what our BG targets were, i said ideally i like to be between 5-6mmol (high hopes i know haha) and she said she felt better between 7-9, she wasn't chastised for this at all, it was her own choice and she was happy with it :)

Anyone else finding the drastic change in heat affecting their readings? (UK peeps)

louiseb

mine was 8.9 this morning :shock: thats very high for me im usually in the 4 or 5 range occassionally a 6. I think its becuase I have been feeling unwell since yesterday.

Spearmint

My daughter was 15.8 this morning :(

I don't know if this is just a side effect from the weekend or yet another new pattern emerging, guess i will find out tomorrow morning!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
4.8 at 08:00. This is exactly the same as my bed-time reading last night, which is the first time that has ever happened!

I'm still having trouble with my back, referred pain in my leg, which makes cooking difficult 'cos I can't stand. A combination of that and the heat meant I didn't eat a great deal yesterday - granola for breakfast, strawberries and cream, cheese omelette for lunch, and a one-slice cheese sandwich at bedtime just in case 4.8 was loo low to go to bed on. Also 2 squares of Lindt 90% chocolate. Probably still less than 60g carb all day.

Possibly the Metformin is kicking in as well?

Viv 8)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi My BS this morn was 9.8 down a bit from yesterday, so better! :)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Now here's a little puzzle for ya.

I went out with family yesterday to celebrate daughter's 21st birthday. Both she and I are diabetic and she has other issues (see previous posts).
I had chicken curry and pilau rice and saag aloo (spinach and potato) and she had chicken biriyani.

My bs this morning was 9.2, exactly the same as it was yesterday and daughter's was 10.3 (big reduction on the 13's and 14's she has had recently!).

Nope, I can't figure it out!

Just wanted to add that I can fully understand the moderator's concern that this thread stays friendly. I have noted posts to newbies that have more or less been hijacked by individuals who want to get their point across and don't seem to care how (or where) they do it. It's good to remember just how confusing and frightening all this can be for someone newly diagnosed..I'm just starting to feel less nervous now and I have been diagnosed for a month!

I think this thread has a feel good factor about it, nobody passing judgement on anyone else no matter what the figures are so I doubt very much if the mods need have concerns.

Look forward to checking in tomorrow. :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
ladybird64 said:
It's good to remember just how confusing and frightening all this can be for someone newly diagnosed..I'm just starting to feel less nervous now and I have been diagnosed for a month!

How right you are ladybird64, I can still remember how scared and confused I was after diagnosis, the last thing anyone wants at that time is ridicule or aggressive posts telling them what they should be doing. Far better to offer empathy and encouragement IMHO.

Reactions: 2 people

ebony321

Dislikes
I think it maybe could have gone the other way, but i think it's been a good thread, lots of people have posted and there's a wide range of results, which can be encouraging to newbies that as well as people can get good results, there's people still working towards what they want their results to be so not to be embarrassed or feel bad if they get a higher result.

I think thats why the signatures at the bottom are good too, a bit of background so people know how experienced somebody is or if there are any other illnesses or factors in control.

I think thats why the OP said to also post if you were happy with it, which encourages a little explanation as to why your happy or unhappy, for example i had some good 5's but last night i had to correct at 2am so even though my reading wasnt horribly high i though it was going to be higher.

Now i've said this i bet i'll have a high reading tomorrow morning, i'll post it anyway though!! :)

Pneu

Although I can understand concern that newbies may read the thread and think 'gah I am never going to achieve those numbers!' may it also not be taken as a positive that once you have control of your diabetes and you have learnt what works for you that 'those numbers' aren't so unachievable or scary at all?

I don't think we should be portraying that good control is easy because if it was then everyone would be happy and none of us would be on this forum! But at the same time promoting that it is possible has to be a positive to those who are trying..

I read this forum for a long time before I posted and took a lot of encouragement from other peoples positive results and experiences... I think all to often people take a negative view and we should be promoting a positive outlook

NewdestinyX

ebony321 said:
I think it maybe could have gone the other way, but i think it's been a good thread, lots of people have posted and there's a wide range of results, which can be encouraging to newbies that as well as people can get good results, there's people still working towards what they want their results to be so not to be embarrassed or feel bad if they get a higher result.
Yep! That was my intent in creating it and how it's worked at a couple other forums I frequent. The issue is for people to stop in in the am - say hi and report a number and 'share' their thoughts ABOUT their ''personal" goals and how the number is meeting their goals or NOT and 'why' they think that's so. I know when I was a newbie I found it very helpful for to see the veteran's struggles OR being 'ok' with their numbers. And it can show the wide array of 'approaches' different ones of us take with 'the numbers game'.

I don't mind also adding that for a newbie to 'wrestle' with what it means to get a 'healthy' fasting number (whatever that means for each person) and being a 'little scared' IS all apart of this new life we all have to live. As long as there is a lot of encouragement coming their way too. So many of us battle with Dawn Effect/Phenomenon with our am number maybe a good 'partner' thread to this one would be a thread about 'pre-lunch' or 'pre-dinner' numbers which for most of us are our best fasting numbers of the day.. We'll see.

This am for me was 6.7 -- my highest am in a while. I did splurge on a little pizza last night for dinner -not much of the crust -- I mostly eat only the toppings.. But it's also been the end of a 3 week long bout with bronchitis and I think my body's still fighting.. The antibiotic I took 'lasts' 3 weeks in the body even though you take it for only 5 days (azythromycin). And that can throw everything off. My am's have been off for several weeks. I'm normally squarely between 4.8-5.5 every day.

Keep those cards and letters comin', mates.. I'm getting to know the regulars here via this thread. :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hiya all, yep living with diabetes is a journey, takes time n the right meds to bring down the blood sugar levels, first starting out as a newbie IS confusing, over whelming, and a minefield of information n facts to take in initially. Its brilliant that we ARE newbie aware also. Not to bamboozle them with heavy advice and do's and dont's. Just let them feel welcome and supported, let them freely ask the questions they feel and need to. This thread is 'ace' as we can accept everyone regardless of what their BS reading may be. Anna.x :)

Reactions: SOPHIE2006

ebony321

Dislikes
NewdestinyX said:
I don't mind also adding that for a newbie to 'wrestle' with what it means to get a 'healthy' fasting number (whatever that means for each person) and being a 'little scared' IS all apart of this new life we all have to live. As long as there is a lot of encouragement coming their way too. So many of us battle with Dawn Effect/Phenomenon with our am number maybe a good 'partner' thread to this one would be a thread about 'pre-lunch' or 'pre-dinner' numbers which for most of us are our best fasting numbers of the day.. We'll see.

The dawn phenomenon is a very good point!!

It's surprising how many of us experience it!

The numbers i've been posting between 5-7mmol are a result of ALOT of tweaking with the pump, before when i was on MDI it would range from 5mmol (if i was lucky) up to the 20's.. most of the time i would wake around 8-9mmol and two hours later i'd be in the 20's.

It's taken alot of hard work for me to get a good morning reading, and to maintain that reading until breakfast as i don't really eat until about 2 hours after waking.

It's good for everyone to see a wide range of results, it's nice when someone is really happy with their result, it's also nice to see people with post higher numbers and say they are getting there and working on it, everyone is in different stages of diabetes, newly diagnosed or many years, type 1's type 2's, LADA's and MODY's, gestational and those who aren't quite sure which type, there's also a few people who have reactive hypoglycaemia i believe, so it would be interesting if one of those peeps would post too :)

I hope people keep posting anyway, i think it's a good thread. Interesting to see where people are and what affects everyone, like late suppers or feeling stressed, warm weather or exercise.

I had a particularly carby tea, last time i tested i was 8.4 but that was 2 hours later so not too bad. But i've also been sat on my bum sketching and reading so i haven't been too active either, i didn't walk my pooches either as they were all asleep lazy buggers!!! :lol:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Good morning everyone :)
I was pleased this morning with 5.4
Since my stress has subsided my numbers have gently come down to where they used to be in the morning. I didn't usually test every day - being a T2 with limited strips, and knowing now which foods are OK for me and sticking to them, I cut down on the testing but thanks to this thread I have been doing the fasting test every morning now. This is the only reason that I found out how stress affects my levels. I have also been desperately tired but having seen my levels come back down again (and the tiredness remaining) I can see that it has had no effect on my levels. Something new to learn every day :)

Wendywu

Dislikes
Track running. Drunks. Bigots and intolerance in any form. Bullying.
5.7 this morning which I'm happy with.

My husband has taken to baking home made bread. It's lovely but for some reason it sends my blood much higher than shop bought bread does. I wonder why? Ah well, I don't eat much of it - one slice a day. I guess I can cut that down to half a slice...

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hiya, 10.2 this morn , was too warm/hot yesterday tho... I always struggle with the heat. Anna.x :)