What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

louiseb

11.8 :shock: and I thought yesterdays 8.9 was bad normally im nver really above 6!
however I have been unwell for the last few days.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
5.1 at 07:30.

Next door's cockerel woke me by standing on my fence, almost under my bedroom window, and crowing his head off at 04:45! I'm going out to buy a high-powered water pistol. If that doesn't work, it's chicken-and-mushroom pie!

Viv 8)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Viv - cockerel? Wish I had a cockerel rather than a cat that sounds like a child - aka CatChild!

ClaireG 06

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I used to keep chickens but never a cockeral. I didn't fancy the backlash from the neighbours :lol:

Spearmint

Well she was 15.8 again this morning :(

I even gave her some novorapid when i went to bed last night but still woke up at this level
I had her down to waking at 9 last week so looks like i need to change something else :?

ClaireG 06

Spearmint said:

I even gave her some novorapid when i went to bed last night but still woke up at this level
I had her down to waking at 9 last week so looks like i need to change something else :?

Can you ring your daughters DN for advice?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
viviennem said:

Next door's cockerel woke me by standing on my fence, almost under my bedroom window, and crowing his head off at 04:45! I'm going out to buy a high-powered water pistol. If that doesn't work, it's chicken-and-mushroom pie!

Viv 8)

:shock: :shock: Easy on the pie crust eh Viv :wink:

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Spearmint said:

It could be possible that she is going low in the night? but not waking up so the body is 'dumping' glucose making her hight in the morning.

Sometimes it's hard to spot as it can seem like she's going high, so you give more insulin which just feeds the cycle.

Do you do spot checks through the night?

Would be a sleepless night for you but it could be useful to test her in the early hours to see whats going on.

May not be the case but worth looking into?

Spearmint

Claire, i just spoke to her and we are going to try bigger needles with her dinnertime novorapid, then try novorapid after she eats, then try a different ratio, if none of that works then change the levemir!

ebony321 said:
Spearmint said:

It could be possible that she is going low in the night? but not waking up so the body is 'dumping' glucose making her hight in the morning.

Sometimes it's hard to spot as it can seem like she's going high, so you give more insulin which just feeds the cycle.

Do you do spot checks through the night?

Would be a sleepless night for you but it could be useful to test her in the early hours to see whats going on.

May not be the case but worth looking into?

Well last night she was 17.0 at 9:30pm, sunday night she was 19.6 at 10pm
She was 10.8 at 7:30pm before bed both nights
I was doing 3am tests when she first started this 4 weeks ago but i've not done one since last monday as her levels hardly changed but i will do one tonight at 3am just to check

ebony321

Dislikes
oh, so there is quite a climb between 7.30pm and 10pm!

It might be that the correction your giving her is either not enough to bring her down, or that it's making her go low in the night and shes bouncing back up high. if you give her a correction near bed time, best to check her 3-4 hours later to see how it's going, novorapid has a life of 2-5 hours, so around 3-4 hours later it should have taken most effects by then.

By any chance does she take her levemir in one dose and at night?

Spearmint

ebony321 said:
oh, so there is quite a climb between 7.30pm and 10pm!

It might be that the correction your giving her is either not enough to bring her down, or that it's making her go low in the night and shes bouncing back up high. if you give her a correction near bed time, best to check her 3-4 hours later to see how it's going, novorapid has a life of 2-5 hours, so around 3-4 hours later it should have taken most effects by then.

By any chance does she take her levemir in one dose and at night?

Yes it is a big jump up!
I had the same problem appear last weekend, so i changed her Levemir from bedtime at 7:30pm to dinnertime at 5pm so that it had started working as the Novorapid stopped, i also increased it by 2 units at night. Last night i only gave her 1 unit of Novorapid at 9:30pm which is supposed to bring her down 4 because she'd dropped by 4 the previous night with nothing.
She has 11units Levemir at 7am and 14units at 5pm, Novorapid is currently 1:10 for breakfast and 1:20 for lunch and dinner which usually works out at roughly 3units, 3units, 5units depending on what she eats.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I had a rough day yesterday, felt hungry all the time and felt worn out. A lot of stress on the home fromt meant that hubby was dealing with lunch and dinner.
Lunch was meat and potato wrap type thingies from the Indian restaurant (kept in fridge from day before), dinner was lasagne and a few oven chips, no salad. So, basically, carb overload, even by my standards.

My number this morning was 8.3..which is lower than it has been for the past few days.

I guess I should be happy it is going down but I'm just rather confused!

ebony321

Dislikes
Spearmint - i replied to you but lost my reply (was a bit long) :( i shall re-type and post later on today.

Ladybird - seems common to think you know diabetes then it does something very odd and confuses you all over again doesn't it! still, glad it's going down though, hope you feel better soon!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
re the cockerel - I don't mind him normally, but 5ft away was a bit much! I thought he was in the bedroom! And his wife has taken to sitting on my tomato plants. I wouldn't mind so much if she'd pay me in eggs for all the trouble she causes! :lol:

Viv 8)

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat deserts :)
What a good idea, except mine looks way out of line with most of the posters, mine is nearer 9-10 each morning before a light breakfast. Had better results when I was having a couple of Hob Nobs each night just before bed, which were around 7-8. Am advised I do suffer from the dawn phenomenen. Drops by mid morning to 6-7. Sometimes slightly lower.
On soluble Metformin 1g morning 1g night and 40mg gliclazide each morning. I haven't read all the posts but is some one going to try charting these to see how people compare?
Regards
Jeremy

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
viviennem said:

Viv 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant viv , made me smile. :) Anna.x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
viviennem said:
re the cockerel - I don't mind him normally, but 5ft away was a bit much! I thought he was in the bedroom! And his wife has taken to sitting on my tomato plants. I wouldn't mind so much if she'd pay me in eggs for all the trouble she causes! :lol:

Viv 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ace, and he has a missuss creating havoc too! gets better eh? Anna.x :)

Pneu

I love my four chickens fresh eggs taste so much better than shop brought... when we first got them we had a cockerel as well but after a week of being woken up before 5am he was re-homed. So I can understand your annoyance Viv especially if you don't even benefit from the eggs!!