What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod I can’t get past cooked avocado. It’s just wrong lol! But the concept and presentation appear brilliant! HOWever... the avocado is peeled or not? Can you imagine trying to make bacon stick to a teeny tiny greased pig?
@Goonergal sometimes I’m paying attention! Isn’t what you just described a scotch egg?
@BibaBee oh lordy I have a perfect(ly bad) record with cats any color but white or black. Teeth and claws. One now, 15 soon, is morbidly obese and has horribly painful arthritis. I’ve had to make him a custom carrier out of two rectangular laundry baskets sewn together with rope at the “hinge”. He still can spread-eagle his legs so that he won’t fit in.... and forget towels. They are just too fast for us, and Mr ZF is rarely there to help. He got blood all over his dress Oxford shirt this morning and it was one of the newer ones! Oxyclean will rescue us. Once in the car they mostly go stiller. Mr B’s lunch looks very elegant!! All those choices. Like I imagine tapas to be.
What kinda person thinks cooked avocado is wrong but like cats - sheesh. Pull yourself together

Reactions: zauberflote

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hmmmm I'd eat them all separately - raw sliced avo, cold (or warm) sausages and a slightly soft yolk cool boiled egg.

My Mum, who was an absolutely dreadful cook, used to make a sausage flan/pie/tart thing that was lovely either hot or cold. Skin a pound of your favourite sausages, finely chop a small onion and cut up eight rashers of streaky. Fry it altogether until done then tip in to a pie dish and press down. Then, using a tablespoon, make four dips in the sausage mixture and crack an egg in to each one. Then bake or put under a low grill until the eggs are done to your liking. OMG I haven't had this for years - must put on menu for next month.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or maybe pre-cook the sausage meat?

Not quite sure how that would hold together with cooked sausage meat, but if you otherwise fancy it, it's worth a go. It could always be served as "deconstructed......... "

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
LOL - Mr C is away until tomorrow evening and is phoning me after every meal to make sure I'm not sneaking in a fast while he's not here.

Breakfast: 100g Brie
Lunch: 30g mixed nuts - almonds, walnuts, pecans, brazil nuts
Dinner: Baked chicken with chorizo, red pepper, black olives and a bit of red onion with a green side salad
Drinks: black flavoured coffee, black decaff coffee, still spring water and a glass or two of red wine

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh, just remembered, my first ever experience of avocado was in a restaurant 40 odd years ago. It was stuffed with a crab and (I think) mayo mixture, topped with cheese then baked. I can't say I was impressed and it was 15 years before I tried it again.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmmm I'd eat them all separately - raw sliced avo, cold (or warm) sausages and a slightly soft yolk cool boiled egg.

Yes!
I’m afraid my Phaffometer was registering off the scale with all the complicated recipes mentioned above.

And goodness, your Mum’s recipe sounds delish.

Reactions: dunelm

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes!
I’m afraid my Phaffometer was registering off the scale with all the complicated recipes mentioned above.

And goodness, your Mum’s recipe sounds delish.

Weirdly (for my Mum's cooking) it REALLY was delish. Does anyone remember a 1970s TV sitcom called Butterflies with (I think) Wendy Craig? The main character cooked slightly better than my Mum. I was the kid who thought school dinners were lush.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Has anyone made their own kefir and/or kimchi?

After reading about the health benefits of having a diverse gut biome (and promising Mr C to increase my carbs a little bit) I've ordered some kefir grains and some kimchi spice mix - and I'm hoping that someone here will have nice (but very simple) recipes for them that doesn't include daikon radish. I'm also wondering how the finished products affects BG?

Also (sorry, lots of questions) does adding any flavour to the kefir reduce/stop it being good for the gut biome? And... how do you keep the grains when they aren't in use (and for how long maximum)?

Last edited:
Reactions: dunelm

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone made their own kefir and/or kimchi?

After reading about the health benefits of having a diverse gut biome (and promising Mr C to increase my carbs a little bit) I've ordered some kefir grains and some kimchi spice mix - and I'm hoping that someone here will have nice (but very simple) recipes for them that doesn't include daikon radish. I'm also wondering how the finished products affects BG?

Also (sorry, lots of questions) does adding any flavour to the kefir reduce/stop it being good for the gut biome? And... how do you keep the grains when they aren't in use (and for how long maximum)?

Yes, I make both kefir and kimchi.
I have milk kefir grains sat in milk in the fridge while I am away so will need to warm them up on my return and get them back into production.
I recently bought water kefir grains but they are for when I return from holiday.
A good place to start is this website: https://happykombucha.co.uk/collections/live-kefir
Lots of information and you can buy grains from them.

For kimchi, I just use a quick recipe:
https://www.copymethat.com/r/gGKa6sQ/quick-kimchi/

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Listlad piccolo is also called “flauto piccolo”, little flute, but in Italian the instrument is an ottavina, as it sounds an octave higher than the C flute. I’m glad the small gelato cone isn’t called “grande”, as they seem to do at Starbux!
@ianpspurs I can always count on you to perk up my morning with a good laugh! Thanks!!!
My mom used to serve raw, nicely ripe, avocado slices as a treat salad. We didn’t like them and she never made us eat them, unlike Any Other vegetable. “All the more for me!”, she’d say. I don’t remember when I came to love them.
@Chook I know @ianpspurs makes kefir. Hope he’ll give a tutorial! Speaking to flavoring of probiotics in general, what I know is from personal experience. I have to take a giant one-time dose of antibx before teeth cleaning or other dental procedures. I eat it with yogurt, having loaded up on yogurt the day before as well. It can be sugar and flavor loaded or plain - they all have the same effect of keeping the drug from trying to drill its way out of my stomach. Ditto if on a longer course for infection.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think @Brunneria has been known to knit kefir too. :)

Yup

Have some kefir grains in cryogenic suspension in the freezer depths, as we type.
There are some fantastically detailed kefir sites out there, and some excellent kefir you tube vids.

We got a bit kefired out, and the wee grains just got bigger and bigger and more muscular, and I couldn’t give them away to compensate for the humungous population growth. And they all needed feeding with more milk. And Tesco’s ran out of organic full fat milk, and I didn’t want to hurt them with non-.org milk. And I felt like a murderer when I put any in the bin. And Mr B went on kefir strike, the wimp. Some nonsense about 2 glasses a day being enough, but he didn’t want to live on the ******* stuff.

It all got a bit stressful.

So I put them into hibernation to ease my guilt.

And now you have reminded me of it all...

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, I make both kefir and kimchi.
I have milk kefir grains sat in milk in the fridge while I am away so will need to warm them up on my return and get them back into production.
I recently bought water kefir grains but they are for when I return from holiday.
A good place to start is this website: https://happykombucha.co.uk/collections/live-kefir
Lots of information and you can buy grains from them.

For kimchi, I just use a quick recipe:
https://www.copymethat.com/r/gGKa6sQ/quick-kimchi/

Thank you for the kimchi recipe - it looks perfect for me to try out.

I think i have a lot to learn about the kefir grains. :) I've ordered some that have been grown (if thats the right word) in organic milk but was wondering if other types of milk can be used, which milks are preferable and any that definitely mustn't be used.

How does the kimchi and kefir affect your BG?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yup

Have some kefir grains in cryogenic suspension in the freezer depths, as we type.
There are some fantastically detailed kefir sites out there, and some excellent kefir you tube vids.

We got a bit kefired out, and the wee grains just got bigger and bigger and more muscular, and I couldn’t give them away to compensate for the humungous population growth. And they all needed feeding with more milk. And Tesco’s ran out of organic full fat milk, and I didn’t want to hurt them with non-.org milk. And I felt like a murderer when I put any in the bin. And Mr B went on kefir strike, the wimp. Some nonsense about 2 glasses a day being enough, but he didn’t want to live on the stuff.

It all got a bit stressful.

So I put them into hibernation to ease my guilt.

And now you have reminded me of it all...

Just so long as you didn't give them names...

So, they need organic full fat milk. I don't mind organic - its the full fat bit I have problems with. So what does kefir taste like?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just so long as you didn't give them names...

So, they need organic full fat milk. I don't mind organic - its the full fat bit I have problems with. So what does kefir taste like?

You can get different strains of the grains. Some have been ‘brought up’ on sugar water, kombucha tea, herb teas, organic or non-org milk, full fat, skimmed or semi.

It is just best to keep them on the same thing they were started off on.

My kefir was like a runny yog (drinking yog texture) with a flavour like slightly fizzy acid yog. You can adjust the flavour significantly by brewing for diff lengths of time, at diff temperatures. And the flavour softens/matures if you let it chill for a while after removing the grains.

While chilling, you can add other flavours by dropping orange or lemon peel or herbs or berries into it.

Mr B (may he be forgiven for his crimes) used to stir Ribena into his.

Kefir making is a bit of a subculture (pun intended).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad piccolo is also called “flauto piccolo”, little flute, but in Italian the instrument is an ottavina, as it sounds an octave higher than the C flute. I’m glad the small gelato cone isn’t called “grande”, as they seem to do at Starbux!
@ianpspurs I can always count on you to perk up my morning with a good laugh! Thanks!!!
My mom used to serve raw, nicely ripe, avocado slices as a treat salad. We didn’t like them and she never made us eat them, unlike Any Other vegetable. “All the more for me!”, she’d say. I don’t remember when I came to love them.
@Chook I know @ianpspurs makes kefir. Hope he’ll give a tutorial! Speaking to flavoring of probiotics in general, what I know is from personal experience. I have to take a giant one-time dose of antibx before teeth cleaning or other dental procedures. I eat it with yogurt, having loaded up on yogurt the day before as well. It can be sugar and flavor loaded or plain - they all have the same effect of keeping the drug from trying to drill its way out of my stomach. Ditto if on a longer course for infection.
No kefir as yet. Did make a lacto fermented version of kimchi using up vegetables from our garden. Dill and garlic flavour suited me best. I really like vinegar of almost any kind but Julie is an oddity she no likey vinegar.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just whilst it crossed my mind a moment ago, an interesting recipe video cropped up on my Facebook feed the other day.

Soft/medium boil and egg and pop into a bowl of iced water to cool quickly. Whilst the egg is cooling, halve an avocado, lengthwise, and remove the stone. Enlarge the stone "dent" a bit, to make it egg shaped.

Carefully peel the boiled egg and put the peeled egg into the avocado indentation. Close the two avo halves together again.

Wrap avo in streaky bacon, to hold it together and cover the avo flesh.

Fry the bacon until it is to your preferred level of crisp.

According to the vid, when the avo is cut again, the egg should ooze it's yolk.

It'd be rather too much avo for me, and it wouldn't be a preferred option for MrB, but I thought it might suit somebody on here.
I've seen that too. You can also egg dip and crumb it although it's more difficult to keep the avocado halves together.

Reactions: Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm way, way behind again but it has been a seriously busy week even if it has been 1st week of Easter hols here. Last posted Sunday's grub.
Monday
Bed 5.1 FBG 5.7
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Couple of rollitos, 2 falafels and a Tesco cream cheese ball with the powdery tomato coat.
D. Finally had the spicy ribs with veggie chips and a sour cream and chive dip. The last bit of cinnamon cake with raspberries.
Managed to get to Aqua today but dont know about next week as they changed the booking system again.
Tuesday
Bed
6.9 FBG 6.7 - creeping up again. Taking boys, SIL, niece and great niece to Dynamic Earth today. Boys been loads of times but they love the place. Great niece had a sensory overload judging by her face. She was really taken with it.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Had lunch at Dynamic Earth. One of their small salad bowls of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, tuna and grated cheese. Black coffee.
After Dynamic Earth took everyone to the beach park as it was a lovely afternoon.
D. Picked up a deli cooked chicken and had a breast with veggie chips, 2 rollitos and a boiled egg. 25g Montezuma black forest chocolate.
Wednesday
Bed 7.8 FBG 7.9 - got a surge to 9.8 pre bed. No idea why.
B. TAG with ADOC and 2 rollitos
L. 2 falafels, 2 rollitos and a bit pate.
D. Intended to have salmon but with the boys staying for the York trip kind of went by the wayside so settled for a boiled egg and 25g Montezuma. Early bed as very early rise for an early train. Despite eating very little I had 2 huge surges during the day to 11.3. Again no obvious reason.
Thursday
Bed 7.9 (coming down from a surge) FBG 6.6. Off to York.
B. On the early morning train. Like @shelley262 I'd got an excellent buy on 1st class for us all with a split fare, advance purchase and a disabled railcard. £15.70 for the boys £31.80 for us. Boys were really taken with 1st class getting fed at their seat. First time on a longer train journey too.
B. Train breakfast- sausage, fried egg, black pudding, 1 rasher bacon, mushroom and I did have 1/2 slice toast with a lot of butter on it. Coffee.
L. Ate the plum tomatoes off No 2's al fresco pasta. Lovely weather in York so boys loved sitting outside to eat. Stall knocked him up rigatoni with a tomato sauce and parmesan. By this time we'd already been to Jorvik centre, Clifford's Tower , hop on off bus and were heading to the chocolate story. Went in search of stone cats, they got Mum & Dad a York glass cat each, made them chocolate lollies and a visit to the Harry Potter shop in the Shambles. Add to that their fascination with Street performers it was a very busy day.
D. A well deserved coffee at the station. Dinner on our train again. Chicken chasseur which was not bad. I passed on the potatoes. 2 diet cokes (Hubby was on gin - I was driving ). Boys were kept supplied by the train staff although they were very tired boys by this time.
Absolutely shattered today.