Sudden unexplained weight loss

dragongirl

Ten years on, after ten years of hba1c on the 5% bench since a few weeks after diagnosis, and excellent cho ratios, and a stable weight of 8st 7lbs (I was always one of the "not overweight people" with diabetes T2), I find in the last two weeks I have lost 5lbs and am permanently hungry. I eat the same meals, I have checked I get all my nutrients from what I eat, and I have no symptoms of pancreatic anything (cancer, -itis, or exocrine something or other!) yet I still lose weight. Well, that's a symptom of course. I eat between 50 and 100 carbs a day I think, unless I'm out travelling and eat a chocolate brownie :) That's always been enough carbs to be fine.

Clearly I will have to visit the doctor if this continues but I just wondered in the meantime if anyone knows anything relevant that I don't. Which is likely, of course! I feel as if I must be digesting my flesh and muscle if I'm losing weight. And my BMI today registers at 17.2 instead of 18.5 :( I am mostly full of energy unless I've had a day travelling and dealing with grandkids. I'm 70. Any suggestions please?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your current blood sugar levels like when you do finger prick tests, assuming you do finger prick tests. Are they increasing?

dragongirl

What are your current blood sugar levels like when you do finger prick tests, assuming you do finger prick tests. Are they increasing?
I did two days of thorough testing earlier in the week (And I often do spot tests for various reasons). These showed all 5.3 or 5.4 except one hour after meals when it was 6.2. Two hours afterwards it was all normal again. I did three hours too, just to be sure!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @dragongirl I would be checking this out with your GP, it would be difficult for anyone here to know what's going on and particularly so if you've not changed your diet or exercise levels, always best to review with a professional :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I would see your GP. It could be any number of reasons, especially as your blood sugars are excellent.

dragongirl

Hello @dragongirl I would be checking this out with your GP, it would be difficult for anyone here to know what's going on and particularly so if you've not changed your diet or exercise levels, always best to review with a professional :)
OK, looks like that's what will have to happen. Trouble is getting an appointment before I get so thin they can't see me!!

dragongirl

OK, thanks, will do. Am also doing less exercise really as toe damaged! Probably have to wait over a week to get one and it's Easter coming up...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ten years on, after ten years of hba1c on the 5% bench since a few weeks after diagnosis, and excellent cho ratios, and a stable weight of 8st 7lbs (I was always one of the "not overweight people" with diabetes T2), I find in the last two weeks I have lost 5lbs and am permanently hungry. I eat the same meals, I have checked I get all my nutrients from what I eat, and I have no symptoms of pancreatic anything (cancer, -itis, or exocrine something or other!) yet I still lose weight. Well, that's a symptom of course. I eat between 50 and 100 carbs a day I think, unless I'm out travelling and eat a chocolate brownie :) That's always been enough carbs to be fine.

Clearly I will have to visit the doctor if this continues but I just wondered in the meantime if anyone knows anything relevant that I don't. Which is likely, of course! I feel as if I must be digesting my flesh and muscle if I'm losing weight. And my BMI today registers at 17.2 instead of 18.5 :( I am mostly full of energy unless I've had a day travelling and dealing with grandkids. I'm 70. Any suggestions please?

Any enexpected and unexplained weight loss should be investigated by suitably qualified folks, so best to get an appointment with the Doc booked.

There are load of reasons why weightloss can occur, including not eating enough, exercising more, thyroid going a bit hyper, and upset tummy and stress, to name just a very few.

On here, we could speculate, but that's all we'd be doing.

I hope it sorts itself out soon.

p.s. a drop of 5lbs wouldn't drop my BMI by 1.3, and I'm a shorty, skinny old girl. Could that be a bit adrift?

dragongirl

Any enexpected and unexplained weight loss should be investigated by suitably qualified folks, so best to get an appointment with the Doc booked.

There are load of reasons why weightloss can occur, including not eating enough, exercising more, thyroid going a bit hyper, and upset tummy and stress, to name just a very few.

On here, we could speculate, but that's all we'd be doing.

I hope it sorts itself out soon.

p.s. a drop of 5lbs wouldn't drop my BMI by 1.3, and I'm a shorty, skinny old girl. Could that be a bit adrift?
Sorry - the BMI was just to say how far under the underweight limit it now is. Re the others, only thyroid is in question as the others all are accounted for and fine. I know it's only opinion on here but getting an appointment isn't easy so I thought I'd ask first. Seems the GP is the way to go though! I learnt all I knew on here so direct line to here seemed in order! Funnily enough, I don't mind what is wrong except if I have to calculate insulin haha. My maths wouldn't be up to it!