1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sudden unexplained weight loss

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by dragongirl, Apr 13, 2019.

1. dragongirl

dragongirl · Well-Known Member

Ten years on, after ten years of hba1c on the 5% bench since a few weeks after diagnosis, and excellent cho ratios, and a stable weight of 8st 7lbs (I was always one of the "not overweight people" with diabetes T2), I find in the last two weeks I have lost 5lbs and am permanently hungry. I eat the same meals, I have checked I get all my nutrients from what I eat, and I have no symptoms of pancreatic anything (cancer, -itis, or exocrine something or other!) yet I still lose weight. Well, that's a symptom of course. I eat between 50 and 100 carbs a day I think, unless I'm out travelling and eat a chocolate brownie :) That's always been enough carbs to be fine.

Clearly I will have to visit the doctor if this continues but I just wondered in the meantime if anyone knows anything relevant that I don't. Which is likely, of course! I feel as if I must be digesting my flesh and muscle if I'm losing weight. And my BMI today registers at 17.2 instead of 18.5 :( I am mostly full of energy unless I've had a day travelling and dealing with grandkids. I'm 70. Any suggestions please?

2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

What are your current blood sugar levels like when you do finger prick tests, assuming you do finger prick tests. Are they increasing?

3. dragongirl

I did two days of thorough testing earlier in the week (And I often do spot tests for various reasons). These showed all 5.3 or 5.4 except one hour after meals when it was 6.2. Two hours afterwards it was all normal again. I did three hours too, just to be sure!

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @dragongirl I would be checking this out with your GP, it would be difficult for anyone here to know what's going on and particularly so if you've not changed your diet or exercise levels, always best to review with a professional :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Yes, I would see your GP. It could be any number of reasons, especially as your blood sugars are excellent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dragongirl

OK, looks like that's what will have to happen. Trouble is getting an appointment before I get so thin they can't see me!!

7. dragongirl

OK, thanks, will do. Am also doing less exercise really as toe damaged! Probably have to wait over a week to get one and it's Easter coming up...

8. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Any enexpected and unexplained weight loss should be investigated by suitably qualified folks, so best to get an appointment with the Doc booked.

There are load of reasons why weightloss can occur, including not eating enough, exercising more, thyroid going a bit hyper, and upset tummy and stress, to name just a very few.

On here, we could speculate, but that's all we'd be doing.

I hope it sorts itself out soon.

p.s. a drop of 5lbs wouldn't drop my BMI by 1.3, and I'm a shorty, skinny old girl. Could that be a bit adrift?

9. dragongirl

I did answer but it went to the wrong person instead! Thanks! And sorry I'm not good at targeting replies :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. dragongirl

Sorry - the BMI was just to say how far under the underweight limit it now is. Re the others, only thyroid is in question as the others all are accounted for and fine. I know it's only opinion on here but getting an appointment isn't easy so I thought I'd ask first. Seems the GP is the way to go though! I learnt all I knew on here so direct line to here seemed in order! Funnily enough, I don't mind what is wrong except if I have to calculate insulin haha. My maths wouldn't be up to it!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook