What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a very teff heavy day today. In my excitement at discovering this grain, I must remember that it is still a carb (albeit one that doesn't seem to affect my BG levels too much) and must resist from eating too much!
B - teff pancakes with greek yoghurt / peanut butter / coconut milk pouring topping
L - teff crackers with pate (think I have found the culprit for my alarming post-meal rise the other day. Not sure what they have added to the pate...!)
D - teff bread with egg mayo and avocado; hot coconut milk / milk drink with cinnamon and tumeric

I have just discovered Addis's equivalent of Ocado. Well, the range isn't quite as extensive (to say the least) but I have just taken delivery of cauliflower, leeks, avocado, spinach, strawberries and mushrooms. You can only buy things by the kilo. I have a kilo of oyster mushrooms and just me to eat them. Recipe suggestions please!!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of tea, a mug of coffee with cream and water to drink. Lunch was avocado and mackerel fillet salad - swapped lettuce for pea shoots and lambs lettuce and usual lots of chia seeds. Evening was Dr Almond's seeded wonder bread and cold pork with W1 Greek yogurt with 8 raspberries. Really liked the bread and yogurt and always enjoy the salad.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have had a very teff heavy day today. In my excitement at discovering this grain, I must remember that it is still a carb (albeit one that doesn't seem to affect my BG levels too much) and must resist from eating too much!
B - teff pancakes with greek yoghurt / peanut butter / coconut milk pouring topping
L - teff crackers with pate (think I have found the culprit for my alarming post-meal rise the other day. Not sure what they have added to the pate...!)
D - teff bread with egg mayo and avocado; hot coconut milk / milk drink with cinnamon and tumeric

I have just discovered Addis's equivalent of Ocado. Well, the range isn't quite as extensive (to say the least) but I have just taken delivery of cauliflower, leeks, avocado, spinach, strawberries and mushrooms. You can only buy things by the kilo. I have a kilo of oyster mushrooms and just me to eat them. Recipe suggestions please!!

OMG - a kilo of mushrooms!!! Soup? You could freeze it in portions. Fry them in butter and open freeze for later use.

What are you going to do with a kilo of strawberries?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook bored of brie? Awww pass it over, I'll finish it for you!
@Hungry19 alcohol has the Complete Opposite effect on me. It doesn't make me sleepy to begin with (but I haven't had a full glass of anything in so long that a full glass would put me under the table probably) but any amount near bedtime keeps me up should I wake up (and I alllways do).
@ianpspurs I don't care that it's not ripple! That is a gorgeous color, and now I'm yearning for sweltering 100F so I might make raspberry popsicles!

Hungry19

Are you going to swallow it, or rub it on? Allegedly, magnesium is best taken up via the skin. My colleague, @Brunneria explained it to me, and as she's incredibly thorough in her reseaching, I followed her lead.

Just a few sprays on my legs or tummy as I get ready for bed, and I'm off.

As I say, I have never had trouble sleeping. I'm just trying to be transparent.

Think I’m going to use it as magnesium chloride in a bath before bed - trying to keep a sleep hygiene routine going.
But, I am aware I take hardest option, and a spray would be better.
Bought magnesium supplements after so much research into organic free from ingredients choice - but when it arrived it had lied on the listing - so I could not use it.
It all a big fuss - normally I’d just choose the hot chocoalte option (that’s what my son has)

Reactions: Chook

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A windy day here in DC. There were storms last night and electric scooters, litter bins and tree debris litter the streets as well as the detritus from several vagrants sleeping materials.
Arlington Cemetery today. We took the metro rail, a very utilitarian, concrete, underground - was it built under instruction from George Orwell? The one in Moscow is divine, this is at the other end of the spectrum - think bomb shelters interlinked with trains.

Anyhow;
Breakfast; just tea.
Lunch; went to Pret A Manger; small portion of tomato and gruyer soup and a couple of boiled eggs with spinach. Koffy.
Dinner; we are out tonight at an Irish pub because Mrs Miggins fancies Fish and Chips - I am having to 10oz flatiron steak with green beans - I just might have the spicy wings beforehand but will peruse portion sizes before ordering.

Just heard the news about the fire at Notre Dame. Very sad.

Attachments

• 1BE3927F-34E4-4468-90C6-6378352B3A6F.jpeg
    1BE3927F-34E4-4468-90C6-6378352B3A6F.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A fishy day :D

B: none
L: prawns in brinjal pickle cream
D: baked salmon with a parmesan and garlic crust. Oh, and two slices of sunflower seed Dr A bread. With quite a lot of butter.

Tomorrow will be lamb burglars. Looking forward to them already!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Home made mushroom soup?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Think I’m going to use it as magnesium chloride in a bath before bed - trying to keep a sleep hygiene routine going.
But, I am aware I take hardest option, and a spray would be better.
Bought magnesium supplements after so much research into organic free from ingredients choice - but when it arrived it had lied on the listing - so I could not use it.
It all a big fuss - normally I’d just choose the hot chocoalte option (that’s what my son has)

Hungry19, I don't know if they ship overseas, but Kirkmangroup.com has my unending gratitude for their products. They cater to the needs of autistic kids, but the supplements can be used by anyone. They do independent and very rigorous testing for purity of ingredients. (And from my pathetic high school background I seem to remember that magnesium is inorganic, so that removes that source of irritation!). I've been taking their Buffered Magnesium Oxide capsules for decades, and magnesium is the one thing I'm not deficient in. I don't get any money from them, far from it, but I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Reactions: Hungry19

Hungry19

@Chook bored of brie? Awww pass it over, I'll finish it for you!
@Hungry19 alcohol has the Complete Opposite effect on me. It doesn't make me sleepy to begin with (but I haven't had a full glass of anything in so long that a full glass would put me under the table probably) but any amount near bedtime keeps me up should I wake up (and I alllways do).
@ianpspurs I don't care that it's not ripple! That is a gorgeous color, and now I'm yearning for sweltering 100F so I might make raspberry popsicles!

Your right - but Mother’s Day I was awake for three hours in my phone (Fitbit called it restless) but I clocked up full deep sleep quota, but followed by a lots of wake up calls - but I felt ok in the morning. Bought a bottle to try and repeat this - now I think 6.30pm is ideal time for a glass of Pinot Noir. So all can have few hours of happiness before a deep sleep.
(That’s if you don’t crash out on a recliner and make it to bed. personally I have a huge jug of water and a bottle of red next to my bed (so my daughter doesn’t find it)
A bottle lasts over a week - but it has helped calm my sleeping patterns

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : Camembert cheese with a slice of toasted hovis low carb bread.
Lunch : Chicken strips dunked in sour cream.
Dinner : Baked whitefish in butter, with fried cauliflower rice and peas. Keto raspberry no-ripple ice cream and raspberries, with heavy cream.

Snack : sliced cheese and walnuts.

Tea.

Last edited:

Hungry19

Hungry19, I don't know if they ship overseas, but Kirkmangroup.com has my unending gratitude for their products. They cater to the needs of autistic kids, but the supplements can be used by anyone. They do independent and very rigorous testing for purity of ingredients. (And from my pathetic high school background I seem to remember that magnesium is inorganic, so that removes that source of irritation!). I've been taking their Buffered Magnesium Oxide capsules for decades, and magnesium is the one thing I'm not deficient in. I don't get any money from them, far from it, but I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Thank you shipping was $9. That’s good.

Well, I just bought 25kg of magnesium chloride (£20) - in my huge attempt to sleep more (my 12yr old son is a budding athlete and already has garbunkles from magnesium deficiency)

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.8 FBG 8 but still with a surge to 9.9. Best today so far has been 6.9 but mostly sitting at 7.1. Still not feeling great. Didnt achieve much today. Discovered I had forgotten to add my washing machine to my home appliance contract and the warranty had expired. Typical! Spent a while on the phone arranging a one off repair followed by an addition to the contract. Got to wait until 24 April though. Ho hum. At least niece is next door.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. 3 97% sausages, fried egg and a slice of ayrshire middle. TAG with ADOC.
D. Chicken breast in a cream and mustard sauce with mushroom, peas and diced carrot, celery and onion. Broccoli rice.
Scoop of Graham's goodness and raspberries.
@DJC3 - a Lakeland visit probably is a bit like my kitchen and I find the same thing, it's easy to spend a small fortune in the place.
@Goonergal hope you're settled back home.
@shelley262 - safe trip to York. We enjoyed our trip last week.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch Yesterday: Whiting fillets, salad.
Dinner: Pork chops (love pork chops), veggies, brown onion gravy.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

On the final stretch to give Metformin the flick in another six weeks, my ninety day bgl average is at 5.43 mmol/L so that's boding well for a decent hba1c. My weight has gone up by 300 grams since stopping 1 x 500 Metformin daily over the last six weeks. :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the final stretch to give Metformin the flick in another six weeks, my ninety day bgl average is at 5.43 mmol/L so that's boding well for a decent hba1c. My weight has gone up by 300 grams since stopping 1 x 500 Metformin daily over the last six weeks. :D

Good luck with that.

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yesterday I had a cheese stick for lunch, and sauteed kale and spinach with sausage and a sauce made from a dollop of heavy cream and spoon of garlic and chilli paste for dinner.

Nil for lunch today, and tonight I'll be making Chrissy Teigen's stuffed cucumber soup (halve a cucumber and hollow the two pieces out out, stuff with pork mince seasoned with ginger, soy and garlic, simmer in chicken stock until the cucumber is tender) but adding a spoon of laksa paste and upping the fat content by using half a can of coconut milk in the broth.

I'm only in my second week since diagnosis and really pleasantly surprised at the range of foods that you can eat on a lower carb/higher fat diet.