Phobia of needles

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya,
Just wondering of there were any tips put there on how to deal with the insulin injections when you have a phobia of needles. I know it will take time and I'll get used to it eventually, but in need of a little encouragement.
And if you were in the same position as me, how long did it take you to get used to the injections?
At the moment I've been surprisingly ok (accept for once when I had to get my mum to do it for me when we were in public). I'm only on my second day since diagnosis, and not looking for a miracle cure, but any advice would be amazing.

Thank you

Reactions: Freema

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also recently diagnosed so by no means an expert... However, I have found the more I have injected the easier it gets. I always pinch the skin on my stomach before I inject as I found this least painful. I have tried to do it in my arms without success and I sometimes do it in my thighs but as I have very skinny legs this can also be difficult!

Best of luck!

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also recently diagnosed so by no means an expert... However, I have found the more I have injected the easier it gets. I always pinch the skin on my stomach before I inject as I found this least painful. I have tried to do it in my arms without success and I sometimes do it in my thighs but as I have very skinny legs this can also be difficult!

Best of luck!
I'm having the same problem with the lack of fat from all the weight loss. I've only done it in my thighs so far as I dont think there is actually any fat in my stomach to pinch. And honestly the thought of injecting into my stomach for some reason sounds horrible and makes me feel slightly nauseous.
Good luck to you as well!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I, too by no means an expert, my mum use to buy small sugar free boiled sweets and would pop on in my mouth and quickly inject me. Nowadays I just watch a youtube video and quickly jab myself, a sort of a distraction. Of course in the fatty areas it is much less painful.

Reactions: Freema and Jazz97

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having the same problem with the lack of fat from all the weight loss. I've only done it in my thighs so far as I dont think there is actually any fat in my stomach to pinch. And honestly the thought of injecting into my stomach for some reason sounds horrible and makes me feel slightly nauseous.
Good luck to you as well!
The weight loss should start to settle. After my diagnosis I lost a stone in 3 weeks. Since the insulin I put back on the weight plus a couple of extra pounds but it seems to have settled now. But this has taken about 5 months - so hopefully you will start to stabilise weight soon :)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Jazz97 , maybe worth having a sketch at this, TickleFlex, only £15:

https://www.tickleflex.com

If you type tickleflex in the search box on this site, there's been a few threads mentioning it for easing needle phobia, there's a few people said it made it easier for them.

I suppose the fact that it hides the needle might help.

Good luck!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I can totally empathise! I lost most of my body fat (was down to 49kg) and was put on daily insulin a month ago. It took me a day or so to learn how to pinch up enough skin to inject, and it was with some trepidation at first, but I soon got the hang of it. To be honest I find injecting via the pen to be less uncomfortable than pricking my finger - it doesn't hurt at all, in fact I don't really feel it.

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scott-C
This looks like it might help! Just ordered one, thank you!
I think part of the problem is seeing the needle. Usually when I get any injections I look away (or pass out lol), so having the needle covered up should help

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I started with the stomach and now use both that and the outer thighs. I find no need to pinch. You will find the areas where you inject will become less sensitive over time reducing the occasional pain still further. For the stomach, keep two or three centimetres away from the navel. Google the web for loads of diagrams of where to inject

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I think companies like medtronic sell pods that inject into the skin and last a few days link pumps and then you just need to put the needle of pens in THAT for that length of time. Might help by lowering exposure a bit

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
You will get used to injections very quickly. I found that giving injections like throwing a dart 1 move the pen (I assume) close back off, 2 move it a bit closer, 3 jab. They hurt less than blood tests, you will eventually realise this, it's pointless anyone telling you as you have to work it out for yourself. A few weeks and you should be over your phobia.

Reactions: porl69

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Phobia=IRRATIONAL fear

therefore ...!!t's not a phobia but a rational and justified fear of putting a foreign object in your skin.......don't worry you'll get used to it.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope the TickleFlex is successful In helping. One comment though, you are not supposed to pinch these days. You may find not pinching is much quicker. Plus there is no need to look and be quite so exact. Pinching will require more accuracy to hit that spot. If I inject in fat free areas I find no difference to more padded ones.

Reactions: porl69

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope the TickleFlex is successful In helping. One comment though, you are not supposed to pinch these days. You may find not pinching is much quicker. Plus there is no need to look and be quite so exact. Pinching will require more accuracy to hit that spot. If I inject in fat free areas I find no difference to more padded ones.
The nurse told me to pinch. Perhaps because she knew how nervous I was. Unfortunately because of all the weight loss over the past few months, there isn't actually a lot of fat on me. Hopefully that will change over the next few months and I'll be able to find more places to inject and wont have to pinch so much

Reactions: Knikki

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I don't inject insulin, but have been doing my own allergy injections for decades, and did my kids' too. Mine are in thigh. I have a high tolerance for anticipated pain, as my life had a lot of pain in it starting age 11 with really painful monthlies. Also have low level of squeamishness that I guess I was born with. I hope the tickle think works for you!
PS I pinch because the nurse who taught me lo those many years ago said to. Pinched my skinny little kids' skinny muscled arms too.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was another who had no fat when I was diagnosed. My bottom was a good place (obviously not in public!).

The needles are tiny luckily and I've used bigger sewing needles to extract splinters. You will get used to it and find the best way for you.

MS6502

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya,
Just wondering of there were any tips put there on how to deal with the insulin injections when you have a phobia of needles. I know it will take time and I'll get used to it eventually, but in need of a little encouragement.
And if you were in the same position as me, how long did it take you to get used to the injections?
At the moment I've been surprisingly ok (accept for once when I had to get my mum to do it for me when we were in public). I'm only on my second day since diagnosis, and not looking for a miracle cure, but any advice would be amazing.

Thank you
I start injections of insulin in January, still learning every day. Out for meals is the worst. I got one of these and it has helped. It does take a lot of time to get use to doing it

Attachments

• 8EC57F60-FD35-4CA0-BB1A-843819106ED5.png
    8EC57F60-FD35-4CA0-BB1A-843819106ED5.png
    593.1 KB · Views: 282

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I start injections of insulin in January, still learning every day. Out for meals is the worst. I got one of these and it has helped. It does take a lot of time to get use to doing it
I tried one of these for a couple of days. Started out well, but then I started having some insulin leaks. As I'm only newly diagnosed and still trying to get my levels down, and not knowing how much insulin I'd lost, I decided it wasnt worth it for now. I'm managing to deal with the needles on their own for now without too much hesitation. I'm down to around 5 mins hesitation at the longest down from an hour last week! (For a 10 second injection, I know. I was mad at myself).
Thankfully I've been prescribed even smaller needles than I'm currently using (didn't know they existed!) So hopefully that will make things even easier! I cant wait to start using them!

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Exercise machines and Gyms. Avoid like the plague.
Hiya,

Thank you
I too had a phobia regarding needles but took the plunge when realising that the medication that I was on was no longer working (about 18 mths after diagnosis). I spoke to my consultant and showed him that I was perfectly capable of drawing up the Insulin into a syringe from the vial, without it containing any air bubbles. I also pointed out my fears about the syringe. I asked him what would happen if I didn't inject? His response was "Do you want the medical version" or the street version of the answer?" I said, "The street version". He said, "You'll die slowly and bits of you will fall off as well". I said "Where to I stick this thing?". He pointed at my thigh and I've been doing it ever since, almost 30 years.
My current philosophy about injections (now on pens) is that I still hate them but it's a better alternative to be looking out at the World from the inside of a silk lined box, under 6 feet of dirt.

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too had a phobia regarding needles but took the plunge when realising that the medication that I was on was no longer working (about 18 mths after diagnosis). I spoke to my consultant and showed him that I was perfectly capable of drawing up the Insulin into a syringe from the vial, without it containing any air bubbles. I also pointed out my fears about the syringe. I asked him what would happen if I didn't inject? His response was "Do you want the medical version" or the street version of the answer?" I said, "The street version". He said, "You'll die slowly and bits of you will fall off as well". I said "Where to I stick this thing?". He pointed at my thigh and I've been doing it ever since, almost 30 years.
My current philosophy about injections (now on pens) is that I still hate them but it's a better alternative to be looking out at the World from the inside of a silk lined box, under 6 feet of dirt.
This has been my thinking!
Well done to you though! I'm not sure how I would have coped with an actual syringe!
Definitely better to live and have to stab ourselves than the alternative