What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Goid to see you back and in good form @shelley262 and @Goonergal
@Viv19 I use the Hemsley&Hemsley recipe for flaxseed buns which @ianpspurs originally put me on to. I think they are great. Not at all eggy - like a dense, rustic, artisan roll.
www.hemsleyandhemsley.com/recipe/flaxseed-buns/ they contain 1/2 tbsp maple syrup. I use sugar free but Ive no idea how essential it is.
B: scrambled egg with a buttered marmited flaxseed bun.
L: lasagne made with a spoonful of leftover mince and ‘pasta’ sheets made of roast celeriac sliced thin. @Chook I think it was you who posted this idea a few days ago - roasting it whole with skin on first. Worked well but I found the celeriac sweetness got a bit much by the end of the meal.
D: IP butter chicken with cabbage poriyal ( cooked in coconut oil with fresh ginger, chilli and turmeric)
@Rachox I have no idea what to do with octopus, but having a good local butcher is heaven. Can’t believe you hadn’t spotted him after all this time.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
...@djc3 and @Viv19 1/2 tbsp maple syrple sounds like it was added to work around a copyright issue. We have Nestlé's chocolate chips with a Tollhouse Cookie recipe on the back. In the 1940's or earlier, the Betty Crocker cookbook (I have my mom's!!!!) has a recipe for chocolate chip cookies which is identical but for 1/4 tsp of water and the name! Kalmus editions of orchestral music are identical to Breitkopf except for intentional wrong notes and the price. Probably happens all over in every field.

Reactions: Viv19 and maglil55

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Yesterday, 16th April,
Breakfast, 30g miniwheat ceral, with milk. ( We are run out of alternatives)
Lunch, umm.... can't remember, maybe wasn't any.
After doc appt and scan result went a bit mad. Had cake at my parents house with coffee. Then we went out for dinner. Celebrating. All dietary restrictions ignored.
So, starter was a dressed crab dish, garnished with rolls of carrot, radish slices, a few tiny fresh herbs, with the tiniest pickled mushrooms I have ever seen. All surrounded by a pastry swirl. Pastry, I can almost hear the cry of beware Carbs, but this was paperthin and crispy too. Have tried to upload photos, but won't work from phone. Laptop is packed, off to Normandy tomorrow.
Main, seed encrusted chicken, red wine and marmite sauce, wild mushrooms and spinach. Came with a crispy potato terrine, kale and carrots. I passed on the new potatoes.
Chocolate delice with honeycomb and vanilla icecream. Oh it was so good. We laughed and held hands.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Today, 17 April
Mini wheats, milk and peanut butter
Wholemeal roll with eggs and cress. Roll was huge 100g, had two eggs and lashings of butter, handful of dress, tested before 4.8 after an hour was 8.9, hour later, the magic two hours it was 6.8. Am amazed.
My parents insist i eat, so Hot cross bun, sadly a bit stale and no spices that I could detect. Lashings of butter again though.
Dinner cassolet and broccoli. Didnt Check BG

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Have a safe trip @SlimLizzy! I don't have to tell you enjoyable

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Liquid lunch at the bowls club, a couple of pots of Gold, some decent cheese nibbly bits this week not that Aldi stuff they have been getting. Some other leftover savoury stuff the lady bowlers gave me, also got a chocolate rose.

Dinner: Seafood marinara, small portion of reheated pasta.
Breakfast: Cheesey mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato.

B0mKy0l.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve lived in my house for 25 years and have today discovered this butchers within 5 mins of my house. It immediately made me think of the carnivores amongst us! Anyone know the carb count for octopus?!
Or indeed how to cook it! :joyful:

Anyway my food today, didn’t have time to stop at the butcher’s today but will be back at some point!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken, pistachios, cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: chicken, coconut and lemongrass stir fry, no noodles just extra bean sprouts, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

View attachment 32388

Oooh Rachox.
We have a great butcher, but yours is even more great! Am jealous.

B: none
L: some cold smoked beef. Very dry! Had to add mayo to swallow it. Nice flavour though.
D: 2 skinny little duck legs and some garlic/chilli chicken breast.
S: a blob of halva (no added sugar)

Too high protein and too low fat today.
Hey ho, will get it right one day.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.9 FBG also 7.9. Still getting these surges and can't seem to adjust it at all. Tried an OMAD today but it didnt seem to help.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing - just water at Matilda
D. Took boys to Tony Macaroni- quite a lot I could have with minor adjustment. Settled for a bunless burger with 4 cheese and mushrooms and a side of wilted spinach.
Back home I had a piece of the cinnamon cake and another coffee.
@Goonergal - glad to see everything went well & safe journey @SlimLizzy.
Boys enjoyed Matilda and found Miss Trunchbull very scary. Jaws dropped when she swung the girl by her pigtails and her body dropped to the stage (it was a good dummy!). No 2 does not want to attend that school!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@maglil55 for some reason that pigtail swing scene reminded me of a similar move in a Muppet show of long ago. Search Youtube for "Nureyev at Muppets" or similar. Rudi's costar was a high carb eater from birth, shall we say!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, didn’t post for two days as a) traveling back to the future and b) lagging the jet.
Tuesday:
Breakfast - tea, tea, koffy.
Lunch - couple of boiled eggs with spinach.
Dinner on the plane - Fresh pea panna cotta with herbed crème fraîche and pumpernickel crumbs, Slowbraised Herefordshire beef cheek and mature Cheddar cheese potato au gratin with baby shallots and gingered carrot and a salad - Mrs Miggins nicked the potato’s and the pudding that followed - copious drinks and a couple of on flight films. There was a breakfast on offer but didn’t fancy it.

Wednesday:
Breakfast at our friends house - bacon, eggs, sausages and tomato.
Dinner with family - Thai Chicken curry with zero noodles, a glass or two of Merlot and episode one of GOT.
Went to bed at 2100 and slept for 10 hours.

Have a great day

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, didn’t post for two days as a) traveling back to the future and b) lagging the jet.
Tuesday:
Breakfast - tea, tea, koffy.
Lunch - couple of boiled eggs with spinach.
Dinner on the plane - Fresh pea panna cotta with herbed crème fraîche and pumpernickel crumbs, Slowbraised Herefordshire beef cheek and mature Cheddar cheese potato au gratin with baby shallots and gingered carrot and a salad - Mrs Miggins nicked the potato’s and the pudding that followed - copious drinks and a couple of on flight films. There was a breakfast on offer but didn’t fancy it.

Wednesday:
Breakfast at our friends house - bacon, eggs, sausages and tomato.
Dinner with family - Thai Chicken curry with zero noodles, a glass or two of Merlot and episode one of GOT.
Went to bed at 2100 and slept for 10 hours.

Have a great day

How time flies, Dunelm. You've hadrly been away!

Your inflight offerings sound more apetising that the EVA Air, gluten-free offerings.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Mr C is having fish 'n' chips for his pre-work meal and I'm bring driven mad by the smell of vinegar on chips.... drool...

Today's menu is

Breakfast: Glass of h/m kefir - quite nice, very mild, slightly fizzy, slightly yoghurty - might leave it to do its thing for longer next time to get a stronger flavour
Lunch: chunk of Brie
Dinner: Chilli and cauliflower rice
Drinks: black decaff coffee and still spring water

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oops - just tested BGs 2 hours after breakfast and its gone up by 2.5!!! :arghh:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning!
@dunelm welcome home (not saying good riddance lol). That airfare sounds like you went BOAC First Class in about 1970-- wow!
@Chook ugh sorry about the kefir... have it different time of day?
Been documenting. DP overnight on a whim. 0420 93 (normal). 0645 105. Back in bed for a few. Edit to add 0735 119. Wow. Doing labs at dr this morning I guess. Is DP something doctors believe in?
Bfast to be usual 1/2 avocado, egg, DWSAC. Avoiding erythritol studiously. Can't decide if my buzz yesterday was from the extra-strong decaf I made for that iced coffee, or the erythritol! Forgot to test after bfast so don't know if it did any damage. Sigh. OTOH, what if erythritol was the tool that allowed me to stay away from chocolate, which does raise bg if eaten regularly. Questions, questions....
Lunch will be liquid.
Two suppers again but I have to figure out just how to work these better. A usual week will not have 4 days in a row of double suppers, only three. And next week we are going for some R&R just Mr ZF and me, so I'll be in better control of my mealtimes.
So suppers will be drawn from the grazing ready-in-frig menu. Nothing exciting but will hts for sure. Forgot to mention I bought some pricey jumbo bright green ripe olives Tuesday. They have a long name and are very long on deliciousness!!
Today is make up a gift card Easter basket for med techs and aides on my mom's wing in memory care. They are a bunch of sweethearts to a person. Well. One with no smile, but her feet probably hurt. Most of them are constantly loving on their charges.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook kefir hardly budges my bg. But i do let it brew a good while - i think that converts a lot more of the lactose, so it affects bg less.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook kefir hardly budges my bg. But i do let it brew a good while - i think that converts a lot more of the lactose, so it affects bg less.

How long do you let it brew for? I got an instruction sheet with it and gave it 24 hours on the kitchen counter before straining out the grains and refridgerating it overnight.

Mr C has refused to even taste it because I (in his words) 'left it out of the fridge all night' - even though it was intentional. :banghead:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

And @Chook is kefir better carb-wise than other probiotic dairy such as yogurt or my Siggi's skyr? That plain skyr has 11 carbs/8 oz, 6 of them (milk)sugars, so a modest ordinary serving of 1/4 cup would have not quite 3. I thought it was the casein that got digested by the bacteria!