What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@DJC3 oh dear, I didn't even think to look for fat content. This was the store where they'd told me weeks ago they didn't have halloumi, so I was very excited and just flung it into my arms!
I surprised myself with those mini-spoons. I was hungry but not hungry. It felt very strange.
Oh sorry @Chook that you don't get to enjoy the whole weekend with Mr C. However, my career was composed of working every weekend 37 weeks of the year, and weeknights and weekdays too. I know we simply treated it as normal. The kids never knew anything else.
Have fasting labs at dr tomorrow morn. I have a feeling the DP will be showing off for him and I'll have some unholy high number. Will test myself right there in lab! Also actual as soon as I get up.
No cooking today. Squeeze as much admin work into as little time as possible before going off to work tonight. We have gorgeous weather, high around 80F/26.6C, so I can work on the sunporch with all four doors slid open and drink iced reconstituted broth jelly (yuk?). And seltzer!

The background to this is that Mr C has worked long hours of rotating early shifts, afternoon shifts and many years of night shifts since he started work at age 16. He accepted this job (a 'promotion' in the same company) especially because the job specification stated he would work a fixed days shift on Monday to Friday and not working bank holidays. So far, since he's been there, he has never worked his proper day shifts and has worked most bank holidays.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod I like strong salty spicy flavours and instant ramen hit the spot for me, and they’re so cheap even after you buff the bowl up with fresh produce additions. I know it’s possible to eat well on lower carb higher fat, but one of my concerns will be doing it on a budget that’s sustainable for me, without relying too much on highly processed food. I’m only in my second week since diagnosis day, I’ve got a lot to learn. The Easter weekend is going to be very rough especially as I’m not telling anyone about my diagnosis yet, I know I won’t be able to deal with the stigma, shaming, questions and food policing on top of everything else. :)

I’m known for being a cook and being a food nerd, and I KNOW there are people in my life who simply won’t be able to reconcile me being diabetic with me being able to still cook and eat delicious food. Thank god keto is still trending because at least people some people get that, and it will be a good cover of I need one.

I told very few of my diagnosis. Their true need to know was zero. That wasn't for any far of shaming or blaming, but who needs another label hung on?

My oH is the main cook in ths houseehold - he enjoys it more and is better than me, so all fine with me. We still eat the same main meals - he'll sometimes have a sarnie at lunchtime, and on days he'splaying golf he'll have porridge; otherr days frruit with yoghurt - the only difference in our main meals is the carbs he eats.

I went away on a long trip, where we were very sociable, 3 weeks post-diagnosis. When people there realised I wasn't eating potatoes, rice or whatever, few askd, but those who did I tld I'd had some bloods done as part of a well-woman MOT (all absolutely true), which showed that some things I was eating weren't doing me any favours, in terms of my blood test results (all very trrue), so I was giving them a wide berth for the time being. That "the time being" just went on seems unnoticed.

In the main, eople's interest in us is pretty superficial. They have enough going on in their own lives, without wondering when I last had a potatoe or pizza.

I've since had to go gluten-free, which adds an extra layer to things, but again, I don't make a thing of it. I make my own choicvces from menus, and leave others to do the same.

If you are the cook, then you have even greater control over what happens when.

Don't over think it. Don't over-burden people with information they might need to ponder.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@zauberflote Flax muffins?!! Are they good? Do you have a recipe? I need something more than all this veg. I’m going to grow roots and leaves soon I think.
I FOUND bread at the local supermarket. Lovely to have but I still think I could make better so I’m on a mission to find a good recipe that doesn’t taste too eggy or sad.

I looooove them myself. I have several flax things that I personally find delicious (as opposed to dutiful) but Mr ZF doesn't think so one little bit. There's a pic of them further up this thread a few days. The recipe is under construction, so if you're a happy seat-of-pants baker, it's just right for you. I have made the batter into pancakes- that came first actually.
Do you have the recipe sharing app Copy Me That? If you get it, make an account, and look for me and many others on this thread, and add us each to your "recipe circle", we'll each add you to ours, and you'll have all these fabulous foods right on your device of choice.
Here's recipe ((edit to add, coconut flour may be 1/8 cup, just noticed that. Since I've forgotten (could have been typo) I really guess I have to make some and find out!))
IMG_8065.jpg

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook that's nasty of them to do that to him. I understand and am steaming out the ears myself on your behalf hugs!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Chook @Brunneria @zauberflote @ianpspurs @DJC3 @Listlad thanks for the good wishes. Injection itself was not as bad (read painful) as I was led to believe, but the hand sure was very, very sore all day yesterday. Much improved today. BG remarkably unaffected - large spike in the waiting room beforehand but back down to normal after a walk home from the hospital and in the 4s all day today.

Food yesterday was late breakfast/early lunch of M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos (bought a job lot in anticipation of needing easy food with hand out of action).

Dinner was oxtail put in the slow cooker first thing. Good move. Easy to spoon out with my ‘wrong’ hand and falling off the bone enough to need only one hand to pull the meat off with a fork. As BG was behaving itself allowed myself a 25g bar of Sainsbury’s 85% chocolate.

Today followed a similar pattern. Lunch was half a pack of the same rollitos and a 25g bar of Moser Roth 85% chocolate. Nicer than the Sainsbury’s. Dinner was slow cooked lamb shoulder shanks and a pot of the Bonne Maman Dark Chocolate cream with added extra thick Jersey cream.

My morning walk revealed that Waitrose has offers on (among other things) beef short rib, bone-on sirloin, extra thick double cream and Lindt 90/85/70% chocolate.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m definitely going to have to look is ways to do this diet low cost but not low flavour. Meat, fresh veggies and dairy/cheese are so much more expensive than packaged carbs.

It is definitely possible. The cheaper cuts of meat are usually tastier than their more expensive (leaner) counterparts. If you have a freezer, buy in bulk when things are on offer and/or batch cook and freeze so you have your own ready meals. Eggs are cheap and very versatile.

There are a few threads on low carb on a budget on the forum. Here are a few

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-on-a-budget.154735/
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-on-a-low-budget.115701/
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-on-a-tight-budget.98749/
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-food-list-from-tesco-budget-£15.45925/

If you are on Twitter @CelticCarnivore (Rilla of the North) posted a thread about their personal experience of eating very low carb on a very low income. It was posted on 30th January. Not sure how to share a link but hopefully findable via a search. Lots of great tips.

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea, cocoa and Costa coffee with cream - some water later. Lunch was Dr Almond seedy bread sandwich (end of loaf V small) with smoked cheddar. Evening meal was 4 egg, mushroom and cheese omelette with romaine lettuce and cucumber salad liberally sprayed with mayonnaise. I have an app to analyse that lot but my body just doesn't understand what that means it should do. I have no app to analyse the risk from all that food and drink - I feel very reckless.
Oh, I liked the food very much but didn't test anything yet so that's probably why.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : Scrambled egg made with double cream, crispy streaky bacon, one slice of hovis low carb toast.

Lunch : Chunk of Camembert with two pickled hard boiled eggs.

Dinner: Baked white fish leftover, peas and fried halloumi cheese (fuller fat version).

Tea

Snacks : Glass of full fat milk and handful of almonds. Oh, and an apple.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Chook @Brunneria @zauberflote @ianpspurs @DJC3 @Listlad thanks for the good wishes. Injection itself was not as bad (read painful) as I was led to believe, but the hand sure was very, very sore all day yesterday. Much improved today. BG remarkably unaffected - large spike in the waiting room beforehand but back down to normal after a walk home from the hospital and in the 4s all day today.

Food yesterday was late breakfast/early lunch of M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos (bought a job lot in anticipation of needing easy food with hand out of action).

Dinner was oxtail put in the slow cooker first thing. Good move. Easy to spoon out with my ‘wrong’ hand and falling off the bone enough to need only one hand to pull the meat off with a fork. As BG was behaving itself allowed myself a 25g bar of Sainsbury’s 85% chocolate.

Today followed a similar pattern. Lunch was half a pack of the same rollitos and a 25g bar of Moser Roth 85% chocolate. Nicer than the Sainsbury’s. Dinner was slow cooked lamb shoulder shanks and a pot of the Bonne Maman Dark Chocolate cream with added extra thick Jersey cream.

My morning walk revealed that Waitrose has offers on (among other things) beef short rib, bone-on sirloin, extra thick double cream and Lindt 90/85/70% chocolate.
There used to be a thumbs up emoji on a forum I used to be a regular member of (they used the same web system) but it isn’t selectable here. So, thumbs up.

F5056543-9785-4617-8B29-9A037AA45498.jpeg

Reactions: Goonergal

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Catch up time for three days - now back home from mums. Complex journey back home with train delays - big power cut in Sheffield, fire at a sub station I gather - but back home now and feet up on sofa!
Day 1 fasted to dinner as too busy - dinner steak and mushroom sauce served with cabbage followed by sf jelly and cream
Day 2 breakfast bacon and egg. Lunch ham and egg, dinner loin of haddock in lemon butter with cauliflower cheese plus a glass of champers to celebrate mums good news from hospital breast cancer clinic very good news for us and her. One less thing to fret about!
Day 3 - today fasted all day - complex journey back home - dinner nuts, seaweed thins and Lc seeded crispbreads while cooking, lamb loin with buttered mushrooms and small red wine, sf jelly with yoghurt now decaf coffee with a couple of squares of 100% chocolate.
Looking forward to Easter weekend - all family here on Saturday so will be a lowcarb treats day!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve lived in my house for 25 years and have today discovered this butchers within 5 mins of my house. It immediately made me think of the carnivores amongst us! Anyone know the carb count for octopus?!
Or indeed how to cook it! :joyful:

Anyway my food today, didn’t have time to stop at the butcher’s today but will be back at some point!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken, pistachios, cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: chicken, coconut and lemongrass stir fry, no noodles just extra bean sprouts, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

B74F64DD-536A-4E9C-BD18-17E65493DC15.jpeg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ianpspurs spray mayonnaise? Now I've heard it all!
@Viv19 try it now. I've just added you to my recipe circle :D
@Goonergal the soreness should wear off soon I hope! Clever you with one-hand options. When I turned 50 I started becoming left-handed, on purpose. Many things I still have to practise, and my deadline of 75 is getting closer every day.
@shelley262 confetti and fireworks from across the pond! I know how she feels.
@Rachox re cooking octopus: first, catch your octopus. Second, chuck it back. Who wants to eat rubber bands?!!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday
Usual breakfast 1 slice HiLo toast, thick butter, tea.
Lunch: at RHS garden with friends was a Greek Salad bowl.
Supper: mushroom omlette.
Today:
Same breakfast.
Lunch: M&S rollitos while driving, water.
Supper: turkey slices, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, cheese coleslaw.
Danone yogurt. 2 squares Lindt 90%.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bfast usual 1/2 avocado, egg. Added a messy failure with @Goonergal 's chocolate mousse. I don't see what all the fuss with double cream is, unless you export the rejects! I expected rich, sweet, like my creamery cream tasting. In fact it tastes like neither cream nor butter. Disappointed....
Liquid Lunch (so far) bfast's DWSAC plus cheating erythritol, seltzer, a few cheating spoons of my boiled down to jelly broth, and.....iced DWC&E! Yummyumm!
There will have to be 2 suppers again. #1 will have celery, spinach, and a muffin or two. 1.3 carbs/muffin approx. I think.
After work, maybe a muffin and cheese. Maybe broth jelly with olive oil? Supposed to be "regular meal with fat and protein". For efficacy of 12-hrly med. we'll see.View attachment 32389
Edited to add pic

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
....what on earth? I don't have permission to see the pic I just added? Trying again. Same way as always.
IMG_8071.jpg

Viv19

@ianpspurs spray mayonnaise? Now I've heard it all!
@Viv19 try it now. I've just added you to my recipe circle :D
@Goonergal the soreness should wear off soon I hope! Clever you with one-hand options. When I turned 50 I started becoming left-handed, on purpose. Many things I still have to practise, and my deadline of 75 is getting closer every day.
@shelley262 confetti and fireworks from across the pond! I know how she feels.
@Rachox re cooking octopus: first, catch your octopus. Second, chuck it back. Who wants to eat rubber bands?!!

That’s fabulous. Thanks!

Reactions: zauberflote
D

Deleted member 308541

Anyone know the carb count for octopus?!
Or indeed how to cook it! :joyful:
Here's Fat Secret octopus carb info:

Raw Octopus: https://www.fatsecret.co.uk/calories-nutrition/generic/octopus
Cooked Octopus: https://www.fatsecret.co.uk/calories-nutrition/generic/cooked-octopus

My partner deep fries it, or adds it in to a bouillabaisse when we manage to get some. It's similar to eating squid.

Interesting to see the prices of meat and fish where you live @Rachox.

Edit: Tagged Rachox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only