What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
And @Chook is kefir better carb-wise than other probiotic dairy such as yogurt or my Siggi's skyr? That plain skyr has 11 carbs/8 oz, 6 of them (milk)sugars, so a modest ordinary serving of 1/4 cup would have not quite 3. I thought it was the casein that got digested by the bacteria!

I don't know, I've never had kefir before this morning's breakfast and I've never had skyr or probiotic drinks. I occasionally eat that REALLY thick full fat Turkish or Greek yoghurt and I'm fine with that which is good because its the only yoghurt I like.I

I'm trying the kefir (and kimchi when it arrives) to increase my gut biome.

Reactions: zauberflote

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long do you let it brew for? I got an instruction sheet with it and gave it 24 hours on the kitchen counter before straining out the grains and refridgerating it overnight.

Mr C has refused to even taste it because I (in his words) 'left it out of the fridge all night' - even though it was intentional. :banghead:

I didn't ever run to a schedule by the clock. It was done when it was done, and that depended on the room temperature.
Just keep experimenting til you find what works for you - timing, bgs, temperature, the works.

@zauberflote
Kefir has a hugely wider range of bugs than yoghurt. In a healthy batch, it will include yeasts and other fungus, as well as a variety of different bacteria - all with their own appetite for various parts of the milk. It is also different from yog in that regular consumption of kefir will lead to some of those bugs taking up a healthy residence the digestive tract and out-competing unhealthy gut flora. This doesn't happen with yog. If you want to keep getting the benefits of live yog you have to keep eating it, because the bugs die off in the digestive tract, after a few days.
Or so the gumph tells us, on various sites... ;)

Today, I am celebrating liberation from work by cracking open the sugar free Halva and enjoying a piece. I wonder how long I can get the slab to last.

B: none
L: prawn soup
D: belly pork in chilli and lime
S: that awesome halva

Viv19

@zauberflote. Thanks for the bread roll recipe. I’ve saved it on copy me that. I’m sure it’s on there already, but this way I’ll find it more quickly. I’ll make some at the weekend. We’re driving up to No1 daughter on Tuesday so that can be my packed lunch.
Do you think slices of grilled aubergine would work in an alternative lasagne? Like a cross between lasagne and melanzane parmigiana (which I love but the old guy is not impressed by).

charlie000

Finished eating at 12:30 today (18/04/19). So my no food, liquid only fast started then. I checked my glucose at 15:00, it's at 5.2mmol! Bring on the 24+ hour fast!

My meal/lunc today:

4 Salmon fillets
Marinated in East End crushed chilli, butter ghee coated, lemon juice - Added pepper & salt after cooking
Fried in a pan using East End Pure Butter Ghee:
https://groceries.asda.com/product/cooking-oils/east-end-pure-butter-ghee-for-cooking/910002823480

Tasted amazing, loved the crispy skin!

Feta cheese
And a small amount of Lurpak salated butter

I had this with fresh squeezed lemon over the fish and green salad (crunchy salad, leaves and lettuce with cucumber) and a slice of red pepper.

Condiments: Nandos, Tabasco and Hellmans Real Mayo.

I had to have a can of Diet Coke as I think I over ate, I wasn't bloating but I was full up. Asda currently got these on offer 30 cans for £7.50.... picked a case up yesterday.. feeling naughty...

Since then I've had a cup of tea with cream. Going to carry on with water throughout the day. Might go gym later if a friend is up for it.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@zauberflote. Thanks for the bread roll recipe. I’ve saved it on copy me that. I’m sure it’s on there already, but this way I’ll find it more quickly. I’ll make some at the weekend. We’re driving up to No1 daughter on Tuesday so that can be my packed lunch.
Do you think slices of grilled aubergine would work in an alternative lasagne? Like a cross between lasagne and melanzane parmigiana (which I love but the old guy is not impressed by).

Grilled aubergine works well as does thin sliced celeriac or unrolled leek layers (both of which need to be three-quarters cooked before layering).

Or skip the 'pasta' layer completely and use extra meat and cheese. I did have a recipe for making very very thin soft cheese and egg pancakes ( cheese like Philadelphia) to use in place of lasagne sheets but i can't find it now. I do remember that Mr C liked that one and there were very few carbs in it.

Reactions: maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Brunneria thanks! All of our decent yogurts here claim live bacteria, and some of them have more varieties than others. My experience over decades is that any yogurt I eat that is more or less real food, including sweetened flavors, prevents any gut reaction to even very powerful antibiotics, which kill indiscriminately. Also, when I used to make yogurt, I'd start it with store-bought, and that always worked. I've always heard that yogurt is a probiotic food. The kefir sounds more all-inclusive of various benefits, and fun to try!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I didn't ever run to a schedule by the clock. It was done when it was done, and that depended on the room temperature.
Just keep experimenting til you find what works for you - timing, bgs, temperature, the works.

@zauberflote
Kefir has a hugely wider range of bugs than yoghurt. In a healthy batch, it will include yeasts and other fungus, as well as a variety of different bacteria - all with their own appetite for various parts of the milk. It is also different from yog in that regular consumption of kefir will lead to some of those bugs taking up a healthy residence the digestive tract and out-competing unhealthy gut flora. This doesn't happen with yog. If you want to keep getting the benefits of live yog you have to keep eating it, because the bugs die off in the digestive tract, after a few days.

Today, I am celebrating liberation from work by cracking open the sugar free Halva and enjoying a piece. I wonder how long I can get the slab to last.

I'll get some more milk tomorrow and try for 48 hours. I'm just more than a bit worried about it going off and/or poisoning myself with something gruesome. :nailbiting:

Reactions: dunelm

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Welcome back @dunelm - had one of your carnivore pizzas for dinner in celebration ;)

@Chook I was also drooling over the smell of fish and chips today - walked past a chippy on my way to Ikea (again....slowly getting things in order).

@Brunneria what do you think will last longer - the halva or the Lindt 90% I bought yesterday? :D

The carnivore pizza a la Dunelm was the main course of today’s OMAD. Dessert was one of the Bonne Maman dark chocolate cremes with added extra thick Jersey cream.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OMAD day - well excluding taster pieces of cheese and smudge of Stokes tartare sauce. The Djalili itself was an adequate affair. Avocado and seared fresh tuna salad - **** jolly fine pea shoots an all - with a topping of chia seeds and toasted pine nuts (they were spiffing) folowed by a small slice of Kaltbach.
Highlight of the day - haunting flute rendition of Annie's song just as we approached my parents' grave to put fresh flowers on. 2 more tunes were played - certainly not to your standard @zauberflote but that tune on a warm spring day - very reminiscent of the day they died - was perfect.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all back to three small meals today
Breakfast two boiled eggs and four lc seeded buttered crispbreads
Lunch tin mackerel in olive oil, four lc seeded crispbreads and a few nuts, two squares of montezumas 100% choc
Dinner beef short rib with cauliflower cheese and glass of red wine followed by sf jelly with spoon yoghurt and extra thick cream decaf coffee and cream in a bit.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, apparently there are 30 posts I haven’t read - gosh! Will read back soon
Today’s breakfast/ brunch at an American diner to celebrate a family birthday. Supposed to be steak and eggs but, devastating news: they’ve stopped doing that as nobody ordered it ( apart from me, and obviously not often enough) had bacon, eggs and mushrooms instead. Nice but not such a special meal out.
Lunch just coffee with milk at a beach cafe
D: minced beef curry ( daughter had just picked up large meat box from nearby beef farm her friends run) with roast brocolli and cauliflower. Sf jelly and cream. Avoided the birthday cake, not even tempted and nobody tried pushing me happily - they are all v supportive.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@zauberflote

Liberation from work - power to the people

Attachments

• 097DBB6D-4F61-4784-A3FC-80F55C4C4B9D.jpeg
    097DBB6D-4F61-4784-A3FC-80F55C4C4B9D.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 228

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Welcome back @dunelm - had one of your carnivore pizzas for dinner in celebration ;)

@Chook I was also drooling over the smell of fish and chips today - walked past a chippy on my way to Ikea (again....slowly getting things in order).

@Brunneria what do you think will last longer - the halva or the Lindt 90% I bought yesterday? :D

The carnivore pizza a la Dunelm was the main course of today’s OMAD. Dessert was one of the Bonne Maman dark chocolate cremes with added extra thick Jersey cream.

Good to be back -how did you like the Pizza?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning!
@dunelm welcome home (not saying good riddance lol). That airfare sounds like you went BOAC First Class in about 1970-- wow!
@Chook ugh sorry about the kefir... have it different time of day?
Been documenting. DP overnight on a whim. 0420 93 (normal). 0645 105. Back in bed for a few. Edit to add 0735 119. Wow. Doing labs at dr this morning I guess. Is DP something doctors believe in?
Bfast to be usual 1/2 avocado, egg, DWSAC. Avoiding erythritol studiously. Can't decide if my buzz yesterday was from the extra-strong decaf I made for that iced coffee, or the erythritol! Forgot to test after bfast so don't know if it did any damage. Sigh. OTOH, what if erythritol was the tool that allowed me to stay away from chocolate, which does raise bg if eaten regularly. Questions, questions....
Lunch will be liquid.
Two suppers again but I have to figure out just how to work these better. A usual week will not have 4 days in a row of double suppers, only three. And next week we are going for some R&R just Mr ZF and me, so I'll be in better control of my mealtimes.
So suppers will be drawn from the grazing ready-in-frig menu. Nothing exciting but will hts for sure. Forgot to mention I bought some pricey jumbo bright green ripe olives Tuesday. They have a long name and are very long on deliciousness!!
Today is make up a gift card Easter basket for med techs and aides on my mom's wing in memory care. They are a bunch of sweethearts to a person. Well. One with no smile, but her feet probably hurt. Most of them are constantly loving on their charges.

@zauberflote - We had the greatest time in the USA - New York, as usual, was bonkers - and a bit cold at times, Texas was wonderful, very warm (weather and population) and Texans make excellent wine - mind you we were staying with my sister and family so good times all round, Washington was marvellous- nice and clean (apart from the sadly large numbers of people sleeping rough and of course the nut case driving mentality)- Smithsonian is a great institution - and, we did get to see three Pandas.
Air fare - shh! Seats paid for by Mrs Miggins’s business.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today, despite the jet lag, and having three of our grandchildren in the back of the car for three and a half hours - we manage to both eat, and stay reasonably sane - well, within a couple of standard deviations of bonkers (that is, if sanity can actually measured on a bell curve - probably not).
Food:-
Lunch - corporate roadkill in a service station; a bunless burger and some tea (allegedly).
Dinner- spiced roast chicken with salad. Grandchildren demanded sticky rice to make parcels - a bit like sushi but far more entertaining, (My 4 year old granddaughter and I made some sugar free raspberry jelly and we had that with a few berries and some double cream. I can confirm that the two year old twins can eat jelly without the help of utensils.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to be back -how did you like the Pizza?

I really like it. Have left the egg out the last 2 times I’ve made it. Still struggling with a soggy middle! Have spotted John Lewis selling pizza baking trays with small holes in - as if perforated. May well invest in one to see if it makes any difference.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really like it. Have left the egg out the last 2 times I’ve made it. Still struggling with a soggy middle! Have spotted John Lewis selling pizza baking trays with small holes in - as if perforated. May well invest in one to see if it makes any difference.

Interesting about leaving the eggs out - must try that.
If you get the John Lewis pizza baking trays, let us know if they do the trick.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still struggling with a soggy middle!
To reveal abdominal definition, and possibly a six-pack, most men need to achieve a body fat percentage of six to nine percent; women need to reach 16 to 19 percent body fat.
(I need to change gender)

Last edited:
Reactions: zauberflote

Viv19

The trays are good. Very lightly oil them beforehand.
Though a pizza stone is even better. Or both together ;))

Viv19

Grilled aubergine works well as does thin sliced celeriac or unrolled leek layers (both of which need to be three-quarters cooked before layering).

Or skip the 'pasta' layer completely and use extra meat and cheese. I did have a recipe for making very very thin soft cheese and egg pancakes ( cheese like Philadelphia) to use in place of lasagne sheets but i can't find it now. I do remember that Mr C liked that one and there were very few carbs in it.

Well it’s a challenge isn’t it? I reached the stage where I could cook pretty well and now have to start all over again. I kind of feel that meat and cheese without a pasta substitute is just going to be very sloppy. I wonder whether a recipe for a ‘wrap’ might work, used instead of pasta.
I have found a cheese sauce recipe made with 1 tsp of konjac flour. That’s quite interesting. Amazon have it. A LC cheese sauce (I’m a cheesaholic) makes a lot of things more interesting.
Lunch was a slice of LC bread with cheese, and some almonds and walnuts, followed by Greek yoghurt with some raspberries and blueberries. Dinner was salmon baked in oven with mixed roasted veg with lots of garlic cloves, seasoned with some extra virgin olive oil and balsamic cream. Sprinkled with Parmesan.

Last edited: