What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

suzywakeup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Arrrrrgh! run for the hills (that will drop my levels)

I tested at 9.1 this morning OMG! That is highest I have been in the last month of daily testing.

I have posted on another thread to try and get some insight from others...

" I had a fairly low reading last night before bed... it was 6.8.

I have been told "If it falls below 8" ... I should "Have a couple biscuits" which I did.
This morning my fbs upon waking was 9.1 That is the highest its been since I started testing daily 4 weeks ago.
So I retested this morning 30 mins later and it was down to 8. Still high.

My question is, what numbers are other's happy to 'go to bed' with?

I do fine all day then eat biscuits or have a banana before bed to raise my levels! above 8. I can't get my head round this yet?

(I should add I am a 'noob' T2, injecting once in the evening just before bed)
Po
9.1 is a bit of a shock then! At least it came down fairly quickly though ... I've not got a minimum bedtime number, I'm still trying to work out what taking glicazide at bedtime contributes to my liver dump. Maybe I will go back and have a look at those too, thanks :)

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
9.1 is a bit of a shock then! At least it came down fairly quickly though ... I've not got a minimum bedtime number, I'm still trying to work out what taking glicazide at bedtime contributes to my liver dump. Maybe I will go back and have a look at those too, thanks :)

Hi Suzy... Yep a real shocker!
This site is such a great place to learn... As we are all so different it is good to see how/what others are doing
Po

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
good morning all :)

4.4 today
sun is just peeping through here so let's hope it decides to stay ;)

Hope your day treats you well :)

Hi just wanted to tell you your stats look amazing! Keep on keeping on!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are moving in the right direction... Fasting can be a great move sometimes.
Po
Thanks @poemagraphic . I do fast frequently, and don’t bother with early breakfast. So eating eating finishes at 7pm and starts next day with brunch at 1 or 2pm. Works well usually, but occasionally the steroids in necessary daily meds gets the better of me. Sleeping late into the morning helps with fasting but eats into the day.
This morning, after another restful night’s sleep, I was looking at a much improved 6.4. My fasting readings are always the highest of the day.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Fasting blood sugars were 5.0 this morning. Have to do some work today to prepare for next week, unfortunately. Happy though that this is not every weekend.

@poemagraphic -- Thank you so much for your support. As to blood sugar levels at bed time, they are usually pretty much the same as when I get up. As I'm not on any medications, I don't have to worry about hypos during sleep. So, I am not sure how helpful this info would be for someone on insulin and gliclazide. In your place, I would probably also err on the safe side.

Have a great Sunday all.

davidjb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football; anything by Kylie Minogue, Madonna, Whitney Houston, any X-Factor/BGT winner, groups like Girls Aloud etc. (you get the picture); misuse of 'your', 'you're', 'their', 'there', etc.; the use of 'of' as an auxiliary verb; Facebook and Twitter (just what the hell is all this 'hashtag' stuff?); 'celebrities'; I could go on but I'm beginning to sound grumpier than I really am.
How many hours between eating and testing constitutes a fasting test? I've given up testing in the morning as I don't see how any test can be worthwhile due to the impact of the 'dawn phenomenon'. When does this kick in ? Is it on waking or on getting up? I have my evening meal about 8 pm and go to bed about 11 pm. I have to go the bathroom every night between 3 am and 4 am and am usually awake 15 minutes before and 30-60 minutes after, and besides I this wake 3 or 4 times more. I get up between 7:30 and 8 and have breakfast about an hour later. Previously I have tested before getting up, after getting up and before breakfast and the readings are always much higher (8 - 10) than at going to bed (6 -7).

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @davidjb

the fasting scores are the last to come down, many say.

i'd be guessing, but it seems reasonable, that inside of us is an 'allowance' of what our body thinks our blood sugars SHOULD be and allocates a set amount each morning..early hours apparently, to help us awake and start a new day, after a period of no food...( think cave men needing energy to hunt down food so they didn't starve..bodies pretty good at trying to preserve itself.)

The body isn't linear, ..as in every action doesn't necessarily have the reaction immediately,
( see weight for example..i can starve myself over a number of days, and stay a given weight then eat as normal again, i'd almost give up hope, and THEN weight drops off. ..go figure )

SO i'd guess , and it is only that, that our bodies are always playing catch up, in judging WHAT amount of glucose to release to give us that kick start each morning.

And as we lower the inner sugar, our 'Sugar bowl' as dr fung puts it, we prove to the body it's NOT a blip, and our body readjusts it's understanding of WHAT we need, and the readings and thus the DP that our bodies THINK is required, becomes lower.

Now that is only an educated guess, based on the many i've seen many query same issue as did i, then at some point their fbg starts to go down.

Now that's not to say it can't go back up, due to illness other meds, and a plethora of 'other' issues that seem to plague us, in our hunt for a better FBG.

That for me, and i like to THINK i understand an issue, (not always been true ) and i like to keep it simple, and that scenario, like i say makes some sense to me.

could be wrong, has been known.

But that's my bets shot, right there.

the fasting gap as i understood it should be 10+, plenty of time to let the pancreas have a little time off,
but longer is better.

I personally try not to eat after 8pm.
and although i have some nuts each morning, i then won't eat much until 10/11 am if not later..

My fbg were 8/9 at started in october, a month or so i started seeing 7/6's..and the next month it was all 6's and the odd high 5.
come january 2019, many more 5's and low mid range ones at that.

took time out on recent holiday, and fbg's are playing me up.
low mid 6's most days, but now after a week or 2 back i'm getting a smattering of mid 5's once again.

carry on doing what your doing, the scores will follow.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
5.3 today after two meals yesterday. I contemplated having one meal today but it's the weekend. I had a Thai chicken curry for lunch. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Goodnight everyone sleep well
FB_IMG_1530273734876.jpg