Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
Hi I am Jinty. At last accepted I am type 2 after a year. Using metformin not as regularly as I should. Testing fasting only at the moment. Like thought that I can be control so taking inspiration from the discussions. Want to improve my health, which really means lower weight, less a.m. stiffness and hopefully increase the chances of living well for longer.
Hi Jinty a warm welcome to you and I think with your finding your way here as well as getting your head around what you need to do to move forward I'm very sure that what you want will be possible!
Wishing you every best wish for a happy and healthy near future :)
:)

Reactions: Jintyo

Jintyo

Hi Jinty a warm welcome to you and I think with your finding your way here as well as getting your head around what you need to do to move forward I'm very sure that what you want will be possible!
Wishing you every best wish for a happy and healthy near future :)
:)

Thanks for the warm welcome. Been watching the forums for a few weeks on and off, and looks like lots of great support.

Arfie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
- What is your name? Arfie
- How old are you? 47
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? Doha
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. my other half says I'm Sacrcastic, Arrogant and Stubborn
- Do you have any pets? Not at the moment
- Microsoft or Apple? MS
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? If I played sport I probably wouldn't be Type 2
- Do you get angry easily? Sometimes
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Ed Sheeran, Adele, Guns n Roses, Queen, Paul Wellor
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Pop/Rock
- What is your favourite flag? Union Flag
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? Last 12 months, Qatar, UK, Ireland, Dubai, Australia, New Zealand, Lebanon, France, Spain
- Favourite city? Sydney
- List your five favourite TV programmes. GOT/Walking Dead/West Wing/The Wire/Dr Who
- List your five favourite films. Star Wars, Hobbit, Highlander, Green Mile, Silence of the Lambs
- Are you wealthy? Wealthy enough to have afforded the food that got me here!
- Do you work? If so, as what? General Manager
- List the subjects you study/have studied. for the last 5 days, diabetes and food!
- What do you like most about yourself? most things
- What do you like least about yourself? procrastination, weight

Last edited:
Reactions: KookieMunchster

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
- What is your name? Arfie
- How old are you? 47
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? Doha
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. my other half says I'm Sacrcastic, Arrogant and Stubborn
- Do you have any pets? Not at the moment
- Microsoft or Apple? MS
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? If I played sport I probably wouldn't be Type 2
- Do you get angry easily? Sometimes
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Ed Sheeran, Adele, Guns n Roses, Queen, Paul Wellor
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Pop/Rock
- What is your favourite flag? Union Flag
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? Last 12 months, Qatar, UK, Ireland, Dubai, Australia, New Zealand, Lebanon, France, Spain
- Favourite city? Sydney
- List your five favourite TV programmes. GOT/Walking Dead/West Wing/The Wire/Dr Who
- List your five favourite films. Star Wars, Hobbit, Highlander, Green Mile, Silence of the Lambs
- Are you wealthy? Wealthy enough to have afforded the food that got me here!
- Do you work? If so, as what? General Manager
- List the subjects you study/have studied. for the last 5 days, diabetes and food!
- What do you like most about yourself? most things
- What do you like least about yourself? procrastination, weight

Arfie, so funny. Subjects studied.. I maintain that I have done more research into diabetes than I did for my entire PhD sarcastic arrogant and stubborn you are me in male form !

Reactions: KookieMunchster

Unreal

I'll get the ball rolling on this one:

- Include a photo here if you wish to.

545550_10151128731001320_499062470_n.jpg

(I'm in the middle!)

- What is your name?
Unreal

- How old are you?

- Are you male or female
Male
- Which country are you from?
United Kingdom

- Which city/area do you live in?
Buckinghamshire

- Are you religious?
I wouldn't say so, no
Sometimes

- Pick three words to describe your personality.
helpful, kind, caring

- Do you have any pets?
I have a cat called Boris

- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft!

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
I don't play any sports

- Do you get angry easily?
No, just prefer a quite life

- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
No

- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
None in particular

- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
50's, 60's music

- What is your favourite flag?
The English flag, very proud of it

- Ever gone camping?
No

- Ever been in love?
Yes, I have been married for 38 years

- Ever used fake tan?
No certainly not

- Which countries have you visited?
Switzerland

- Favourite city?
Liverpool, U.K

- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Dad's Army, Only fools & horses, News, Have I got News for you

- List your five favourite films.
Do not have any

- Are you wealthy?
Maybe, maybe not

- Do you work? If so, as what?
No I am a full time carer for my wife

- What do you like most about yourself?
My willing to help people as it costs nothing

- What do you like least about yourself?
Not thought about that one

Steveg1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m steve new to here. I was high blood sugar around 22 rising I been looking what to do I take kale eat omelette chicken celery berries water exercise ultra light alcohol Holstein too need a beer I fast most of the day working outside but I got it down to 4 this morning is that too low

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, I missed this thread when I signed up last week - I was told I "probably" have Type 2 on 26 April 2019. Some further tests next week, no meds yet.
HbA1c 7% I am female, 60 years old, and was 82kg on 26 April 2019.
I bought an Accuchek Mobile and have been testing since then - initial glucose pre prandial was 8 and 8.4......slowly dropped over the week to 6.7 yesterday and today. The free bluetooth adapter arrived very quickly and the carry case - been using it with the MySugr app.
Trying to follow a Low Carb Diet and weighed 79.4kg this morning. Missing the sugar / high GI carbs and hoping it will pass!! Aiming to get to 65kg.

Reactions: Viv19

Annie18

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m steve new to here. I was high blood sugar around 22 rising I been looking what to do I take kale eat omelette chicken celery berries water exercise ultra light alcohol Holstein too need a beer I fast most of the day working outside but I got it down to 4 this morning is that too low

Hi I've just been diagnosed as Type 1.5 diabetic..originally diagnosed as Type 2 in September. It's been a long journey but feel I'm probably on the right path now! My hba1c at diagnosis was 109 and it came down to 70 in December. It stayed on 70 in April which is when it was obvious that something was not quite right. Blood sugar went up to 27...! Scary! So I'm on 12u Abasaglar in the morning and 4u Humalog if carbs go over 40g at meal times. When I was first diagnosed in Sept...did all the low carb thing in an attempt to overturn the diabetes...found that any carb, even the good ones spiked my blood sugar.
Can anyone recommend a good Android app for T1.5 diabetics to calculate carbs in food? I've bought a carb bible but with suddenly everything else I have to carry...my handbag is not big enough!
I'm trying to keep the carbs down to below 40g per meal so I don't have to inject... it's this a good approach. It's ok for breakfast and lunch but more tricky with dinner. Last night I was going to have sweet potato wedges which I thought was preferable but when I counted the carbs or was sure high. Also then read about the impact of roasting sweet pasties and releasing the sugar in them! Beginning to realise that perhaps I don't know as much as I thought! Have books with recipes in them so that will help... any advice on apps books that people use would be greatly appreciated... .

Pelikan22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name?
Susan
- How old are you? 56
- Are you male or female?
Female
- Which country are you from?
Australia
- Which city/area do you live in?
Melbourne
- Are you religious?
Spiritual not religious
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
- Do you have any pets?
Yeh lovely Sharpe
- Microsoft or Apple?
Not sure
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
None
- Do you get angry easily?
No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
No tattoos
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Jazz classical country & west and yes rap (some are pretty good haha)
- What is your favourite flag?
- Ever gone camping?
Yeh as a kid
- Ever been in love?
Yeh
- Ever used fake tan?
No dont need it
- Which countries have you visited?
Quite a few
- Favourite city?
Paris
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Documentaries mostly with a bit of trash now and then
- List your five favourite films.
- Are you wealthy?
- Do you work? If so, as what?
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
Office management
- What do you like most about yourself?
I don't give up easily
- What do you like least about yourself?
Too trusting

Have fun!

Hi, I’ve just recently been diagnosed with T2 diabetes, so I’m still trying to get my bloods to the correct level , I will admit I’m struggling a bit after a lifetime of eating sweet food when I liked , but trying hard to be sensible and moderate with my food intake .... I will be looking on this site for ideas on how to live with diabetes .

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’ve just recently been diagnosed with T2 diabetes, so I’m still trying to get my bloods to the correct level , I will admit I’m struggling a bit after a lifetime of eating sweet food when I liked , but trying hard to be sensible and moderate with my food intake .... I will be looking on this site for ideas on how to live with diabetes .

Hi
Welcome to the forum
It gets easier, maybe start a thread and tell us what your eating. We'll try to help in any way we can.
It's a great site.
Take care

Reactions: Smudger 140652

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hello folks,
I got the results of my Hba1c (7.0 down from 7.1 in the first blood test) for the GP practice 'diabetic nurse' a week ago today. she said I am T2D. I am 68 yrs old and have been on what was considered a 'healthy diet' for around 20 yrs. I am just inside the 'Healthy Weight' zone on the BMI scale, have never had a weight problem (apart form struggling to put weigh on in my teens) and have never smoked.

I had a 3x Coronary Artery Bypass ( Cabbage times 3 in the lingo) in December 2016 after discovering I had misdiagnosed what was actually Angina (no pain). After that I have been on Atorvastatin 40mg, Aspirin 75mg, Lansoprazole 30mg, Bisoprolol Fumarate 1.25 mg and Ramipril 1.25mg. At the time I cut out even more fat from my diet and started exercising more. My cholesterol readings are now good, but my HDL is down from what it used to be (probably due to the Statin). My Blood Glucose has tested in the so-called pre-diabetic range since my operation.I am wondering if the Statin is also raising my Blood Sugar (that is a known side effect of some other statins).

I was horrified when the doctor (upon my 7.1 test for Hba1c) said I must cut down drastically on Carbs. - I asked "Then what am I to eat, if I can't eat grains and root veg ?" - There was no answer to that.
Leafy greens may sustain rabbits and North Koreans, but I really don't fancy that diet for the rest of my life!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Your doctor suggested cutting carbs. You may not like the answer but he's DEAD right. Worse news is that fat is good for you. Low carb high fat diets (LCHF) are for many many people on this forum, the solution, not what you believe is in fact the reverse.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Your doctor suggested cutting carbs. You may not like the answer but he's DEAD right. Worse news is that fat is good for you. Low carb high fat diets (LCHF) are for many many people on this forum, the solution, not what you believe is in fact the reverse.

My Doctor suggested cutting Carbs on top of cutting Fats ! The current NHS guidelines for T2D says I should cut fats and eat whole grain and low GI carbs which is what I have been doing for the past 10 yrs or more, I switched from White to Brown Rice and White to Wholemeal bread back in the 1970s. Switched from White to Sweet Potato and from normal to Wholemeal Pasta around 2003.
I stopped eating cooked carrot - only raw over 1yr ago. Cut out red meat 5yrs ago, cut out white meat 2 yrs ago.
Like I said, what do they expect me to live on ?

This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name? Elizabeth
- How old are you? 12
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? USA
- Which city/area do you live in? Rock Springs
- Are you religious? Yes
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Funny Happy Smart
- Do you have any pets? 3
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Softball
- Do you get angry easily? Yes
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Piercing on ear lobe
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Lil Nas X, Migos, Cardi B., Ariana Grande, Iggy Azalea
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rap
- What is your favourite flag? American
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? NO
- Which countries have you visited? Canada
- Favourite city? Nashville
- List your five favourite TV programmes. 13 Reasons Why, Reign, The Last Kingdom, On my Block, The Perfect Date
- List your five favourite films. The Farm, Meet the Backs, Fault in Our Stars, The Babysitter, The Terrifier
- Are you wealthy? No
- Do you work? If so, as what? No
- List the subjects you study/have studied. I haven't gone to college
- What do you like most about yourself? Hair, Eyes
- What do you like least about yourself? Stomach

Have fun!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Read the forum @ianf0ster thoroughly. In summary, eat meat, eat fat, eat chicken, no rice, no bread, no pasta

Hundreds of alternate options

The "guidelines" to which you refer are useless as they don't reflect today's reality

Last edited: