Very Tired On Low Carb Breakfast

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello guys,

I'm still around and fighting haha. I started eating some veggies at every meal, and I try to not take carbs without some kind of fat. My blood sugar is improved. I calculate I take around 50-60 grams of carbs a day, but I still feel weak in the legs. Will that go away? I weight around 191 pounds and I don't know if the body is in shortage of carbs, or it's adjusting? I still don't want to go keto, because I don't eat enough veggies at this point.

If your blood sugar levels have improved, you are on the right track and your body is still in the process of change to lower carbs, your body is telling you to increase the carbs, when you really don't! There is no reason why, you should not go Keto or as near as you can, just hovering above will do nicely as long as you are aware of your blood sugar levels continually.
I don't eat enough vegetables, but have enough fat and different proteins and a few veg to help get my balance as right as I can.
Unless the weaknesses in your legs are caused by something else, then it should slowly get better as your energy levels get better.

Keep persisting with low carb, it is hard and demanding, but the benefits are really good.

Best wishes

Reactions: Freema

Razper

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Other
Thank you so much guys... you really cannot imagine what your help means to me, God bless you!

Actually Lamont I felt so weak today - I measure my sugar and it was 4.9 mmol/l which is pretty stable... but I was feeling bit shaky and irritable, almost as if I was hypo... but I wasn't. So I took a bit more carbs, the symptoms vanished almost instantly (in 10-15 minutes) but 3-4 hours later I was in the 4.1 mmol/l range and I was feeling weak again.

Maybe I'm confused since I think that to be functional, a male like me needs around 200 grams of carbs per day (this information I took from some fitness site), and limiting myself to 50-80 grams per day, I'm thinking that I might be limiting my body from vital carbs for my survival and energy.

When a person is in ketosis, he uses the fat as a source and maybe that's why the energy is improved, but will my energy improve if I continue and persist on 50-80 grams of carbs per day, which so far keeps my blood sugar pretty stable.

Is it hard the transition to ketosis, and what if accidentaly I get out ot ketosis? What should I do if I enter keto and somehow have low bloog sugar? How to fix it since I cannot eat carbs? Maybe I cannot wrap my head around the concept of just limiting the carbs on one hand, and on the other hand being in ketosis.

Last two days I learned to eat cucumbers and tomatoes (which for the last 27 years since I was born I didn't eat). I'm determined to succeed. It's not all about the blood sugar, I want the stable blood sugar, but also stable enegy, because I don't want to have normal sugar, and be so weak that I barely work... :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but there is no need for carbs - we do not need them in our diet as long as we have protein and fats - though I eat plants to get the micronutrients such as vitamin C as it is destroyed by cooking.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much guys... you really cannot imagine what your help means to me, God bless you!

Actually Lamont I felt so weak today - I measure my sugar and it was 4.9 mmol/l which is pretty stable... but I was feeling bit shaky and irritable, almost as if I was hypo... but I wasn't. So I took a bit more carbs, the symptoms vanished almost instantly (in 10-15 minutes) but 3-4 hours later I was in the 4.1 mmol/l range and I was feeling weak again.

Maybe I'm confused since I think that to be functional, a male like me needs around 200 grams of carbs per day (this information I took from some fitness site), and limiting myself to 50-80 grams per day, I'm thinking that I might be limiting my body from vital carbs for my survival and energy.

When a person is in ketosis, he uses the fat as a source and maybe that's why the energy is improved, but will my energy improve if I continue and persist on 50-80 grams of carbs per day, which so far keeps my blood sugar pretty stable.

Is it hard the transition to ketosis, and what if accidentaly I get out ot ketosis? What should I do if I enter keto and somehow have low bloog sugar? How to fix it since I cannot eat carbs? Maybe I cannot wrap my head around the concept of just limiting the carbs on one hand, and on the other hand being in ketosis.

Last two days I learned to eat cucumbers and tomatoes (which for the last 27 years since I was born I didn't eat). I'm determined to succeed. It's not all about the blood sugar, I want the stable blood sugar, but also stable enegy, because I don't want to have normal sugar, and be so weak that I barely work... :)
It sounds very much like a false hypo. Fundamentally your body having a toddler tantrum about you withdrawing its sugar fix. Like a toddler ignore it and it’ll go away.

The fitness site is wrong. They probably know nothing of ketosis. Elite Olympic athletes do keto. Tour de France cyclists do keto. You just need to do it right. Carbs are non essential to human life. Protein and fats however are essential. At 50- 80 carbs it’s not highly likely you’ll enter keto anyway. The lowest level most people usually hit it is around 50. You can go in and out of it very simply just by adding, dropping carbs. It’s no big flag waving event.

Your energy will improve once you get through this “carb flu” stage, even quicker if you ensure you are getting enough fluids and electrolytes and fats.

Under 4 is classed as a true hypo in regard to medicated diabetics. That said many non diabetics walk around quite happily in the 3’s. Should that actually happen then indeed do have a ‘small” amount of carbs to correct it. The key word being small. It no one (imo) would advocate not treating a hypo at all just to maintain ketosis.

You’ve been given great advice by other rh’ers. Try and give it a chance to work.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m a tall, sturdy and very active woman and I’ve survived on less than 20g of carbs a day for almost 11 years. Recently my carb level has been negligible.
You’re false hypoing. Don’t feed the symptoms as this just confuses the dance between your liver and pancreas.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Razper

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Other
Hello guys,

I took one more OGTT this time with definite results. Seems like my insulin levels are 3 times above the norm in the first hour and two times more in the seconod hour. Blood sugar levels are also high.

I might be diabetic?

I still haven't seen my endo, I upload the results here:

results.png

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

From the sound of it, and I'm echo-ing others here, you're having false hypo's. They feel like the real deal, because your body honestly thinks you are experiencing a hypo. It's used to higher levels, so it panics when you get to levels that are considered normal. So hello sweats, tremors, rubbery knees, hair standing on end, maybe even palpatations? Don't over eat on carbs when that happens, or your body will never get used to normal, healthy levels. It just takes a little while. Ride it out, you'll be okay. Sit down, have a cuppa, maybe snack on something fatty like walnuts, high carb content sausage (Do you get bifi's in the UK?) or a boiled egg. Don't grab the crisp bag. Your body was high for a long time before diagnosis... It was a gradual process and you didn't notice it happening. Now you're not going the gradual route: This is a mad dash for lower levels. And that has its affects. This is one of them. Carb flu (fatigue, head, joint and muscle aches) is another. Both will go away if you stick with it. Upside: What you're doing is working. Yay! (It will get better soon, honest!)

Reactions: Razper

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello guys,

I took one more OGTT this time with definite results. Seems like my insulin levels are 3 times above the norm in the first hour and two times more in the seconod hour. Blood sugar levels are also high.

I might be diabetic?

I still haven't seen my endo, I upload the results here:

View attachment 33218

From your graphics, you have experienced high glucose, along with high insulin from normal fasting levels. The second hour readings, you are still experiencing high insulin levels, your glucose is just above normal.
Without the insulin results, I would agree that you are just about diabetic. However without the half hour readings to see the initial response and spike. Also it would have been prudent to extend the test to a third and fourth hour, to see if you go hypo because of the high insulin.
I don't want to predict a diagnosis because the tests don't go far enough for Hypoglycaemia, but you are showing Hyperinsulinaemia (high insulin) which is a precursor to T2 diabetes, unless because of the normal fasting levels could be reactive hypoglycaemia.
Those results, with the exception of no insulin results is very close to my second eOGTT, for the first two hours.

Let's see what your endocrinologist says.

But lowering your carbs will help with your control.

Best wishes

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Do most people with RH end up with type 1 diabetes?

I suppose you guys don't take any caffeine?

Re caffeine intake I think it’s individual. Personally I find a coffee with caffeine causes me problems and have switched to decaf. I have also switched from tea to Rooibis caffeine free tea. Small changes reap big rewards and your pancreas will love you for it. Over time you will start to relax more and the anxiety will reduce. It took me about six months to stop worrying!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Caffeine, I have also changed to drinking less tea, especially evening time, because I was forever going!
This was advised after a serious bladder infection not to long ago.
I have never drank coffee, yuk!

Best wishes