What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh I go out for a few hours and miss loads. @DJC3 glad you are managing with the Miserable Metformin...really good progress I’d say! @Debandez I loved you parking in the taxi rank, its just the sort of thing I would do lol. Good old George Michael what a voice...so many iconic songs....but will look out for Rob.
@gennepher and @Bubbsie I also “save” spiders aand cup them in my hands and take them out in the garden. If Bobs gets to it first it is crunch time (literally). She treats them like Twiglets. I saved a mouse from her jaws once and it swung its head round and sunk its teeth in my finger. How ungrateful is that!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
also “save” spiders aand cup them in my hands and take them out in the garden. If Bobs gets to it first it is crunch time (literally)
I'm a hands free spider saver PM...I use a tiny coffee cup & a card...cup swiftly over the spidey then the card slides underneath...off to the garden...but incey can stay as long as s/he behaves.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The car passed!! Unfortunately there was a large BUT from the mechanic when I went to pay. There are a string of things waiting to go wrong. He isn't sure when but in the not too distant future. Now I have the difficult decision do I pay out to keep it running or buy another one. I hate buying cars. I go for form (colour) over substance ( mechanics) as I know nothing about the internal workings of a car. I think I shall go for blue if I change it I haven't had a blue car for a long time.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The car passed!! Unfortunately there was a large BUT from the mechanic when I went to pay. There are a string of things waiting to go wrong. He isn't sure when but in the not too distant future. Now I have the difficult decision do I pay out to keep it running or buy another one. I hate buying cars. I go for form (colour) over substance ( mechanics) as I know nothing about the internal workings of a car. I think I shall go for blue if I change it I haven't had a blue car for a long time.

I would take the 'string of things' and get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion before writing the car off.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry @SaskiaKC I should have put out a spoiler alert for my last posting. Please come out from under covers! Its safe and the KC will protect you (so long as you keep the chicken supply going).

... and as long as she can stay awake! I did sic her on a roach once years ago. I sent her up into the cupboard like putting a terrier down a rat hole.

Actually I would not sic a terrier on a rat. I have nothing against rats, as long as they stay out of my garage. I feel the same way about spiders. My home is not the Neutral Zone, and if they place even one foot over the line they face immediate dispatching across the Rainbow Filament. Fortunately for us all I have not seen any in the two years I have lived here, except for the teeny ones that I pretend aren't really there as long as they don't multiply. However if I can see it at 3 paces, it's dead meat.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Alert Alert, my one and only blue car, a Ford, died at the tender age of 8. My red Chevy lived to be 18. Not entirely sound, but running and stopping.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh I go out for a few hours and miss loads. @DJC3 glad you are managing with the Miserable Metformin...really good progress I’d say! @Debandez I loved you parking in the taxi rank, its just the sort of thing I would do lol. Good old George Michael what a voice...so many iconic songs....but will look out for Rob.
@gennepher and @Bubbsie I also “save” spiders aand cup them in my hands and take them out in the garden. If Bobs gets to it first it is crunch time (literally). She treats them like Twiglets. I saved a mouse from her jaws once and it swung its head round and sunk its teeth in my finger. How ungrateful is that!

Thanks PM I’m trying a spell of 30hr fasts to help it in the right direction. It worked on a previous occasion when things were going a bit awry. I’ll have just dinner on one day, then breakfast and lunch the following day then just dinner the day after so there’s about a 30 hr gap but there is at least 1 meal to look forward to every day. I don’t think I could go a whole day without eating.
The thought of Bobs crunching on a spider has made me shiver!
My middle daughter used to eat daddy longlegs given half a chance when she was a baby at the crawling stage. If she spotted one on the skirting board or within her reach she’d be on it quick as lightning and shove it in her mouth. The staff at her day nursery said it freaked them out to find bits of legs and wings in her nappy!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Such an emotional day today. I would like to share my thoughts. It helps. I've done my FBS so just an interim post.

Our beloved piano has moved on to pastures new.... ..

Gone but never forgotten.

It cost £200, 23 years ago, it could tell some stories. The first one being how it became a family member. I was a little girl aged 7 when I told my parents I wanted to play the piano. My parents didn't have 2 pennies to rub together so i thought it was a non starter. Then I spotted a card in 'the cake shop' window (Lonigans) on langdale road. 'Piano for sale'. I'm not sure how much it was but it wasn't a lot. And my mum and dad managed to somehow get the money, and the piano came to us, it was loved from day 1.

I played every day. I took exams up to grade 5. I loved it. Then I met and married Eric. We bought our first house. The piano was probably our only piece of furniture apart from 2 bean bags!. I rarely played once the children arrived. And if I did it was like Les Dawson. All the right notes in the wrong order!!

We were struggling financially when the children were little. I said 'let's sell the piano. We got £200. Just before Ammas 7th birthday. Then a bombshell 'mummy i want to play the piano'. she said. Bitter sweet. Oh no!!! I've just sold it, and we had spent the money!!!

I spotted a piano for sale in the local Gazette. £200! We borrowed the money from Eric's dad. Bought it Our brother in law helped pick it up. Gave it to Amma on her 7th birthday . history repeating itself.

She played it when she was happy. She played it when she was sad. I played it when I was happy. I played it when I was was sad. Dad plays chop sticks!!! She played the piano in the school hall for the head teacher Mr Metcalf retiring. Proud mummy moment. She was brilliant and only 10 years of age. Amma took all her Royal School of Music exams from grade 1 to 8 having practiced the pieces and scales no end on it. Over and over.. and over....and over. With granny's (my mum) encouragement all the way. A particularly sad moment was when my mum couldn't made Amma's final grade, grade 8. She was too poorly. Terminally ill in Victoria hospital. Amma didnt know how bad things were, we kept it from her as that's what mum wanted. She went off to take the exam, for the first time without her granny next to her. She failed. By only 2 marks. I wrote a letter to the royal school of music explaining what had happened. Amma hadn't put in so much practice as she was sitting with her poorly granny so often. They invited her to London to retake the exam. Eric drove her there and back.... in one day!!! Although they couldn't tell Amma she had passed they did give her a wink. sadly her granny had passed away by then but was and still is with us in spirit. Amma played at my mum's funeral. Now that takes strength on a different level. They were so very close.

So you see this piano is far more than just a piece of furniture. It's far more than a musical instrument Amma breathed life into it. Almost every day.

But today I didnt cry like I thought I would. It's gone to a good home. Another little girl with a yearning to play the piano. Another mum who wants a tinkle on the ivories.

And so the journey continues........

Attachments

• 20190515_174618.jpg
    20190515_174618.jpg
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 98

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Such an emotional day today. I would like to share my thoughts. It helps. I've done my FBS so just an interim post.

It cost £200, 23 years ago, it could tell some stories. The first one being how it became a family member. I was a little girl aged 7 when I told my parents I wanted to play the piano. My parents didn't have 2 pennies to rub together so i thought it was a non starter. Then I spotted a card in 'the cake shop' window (Lonigans) on langdale road. 'Piano for sale'. I'm not sure how much it was but it wasn't a lot. And my mum and dad managed to somehow get the money, and the piano came to us, it was loved from day 1.

I played every day. I took exams up to grade 5. I loved it. Then I met and married Eric. We bought our first house. The piano was probably our only piece of furniture apart from 2 bean bags!. I rarely played once the children arrived. And if I did it was like Les Dawson. All the right notes in the wrong order!!

We were struggling financially when the children were little. I said 'let's sell the piano. We got £200. Just before Ammas 7th birthday. Then a bombshell 'mummy i want to play the piano'. she said. Bitter sweet. Oh no!!! I've just sold it, and we had spent the money!!!

I spotted a piano for sale in the local Gazette. £200! We borrowed the money from Eric's dad. Bought it Our brother in law helped pick it up. Gave it to Amma on her 7th birthday . history repeating itself.

She played it when she was happy. She played it when she was sad. I played it when I was happy. I played it when I was was sad. Dad plays chop sticks!!! She played the piano in the school hall for the head teacher Mr Metcalf retiring. Proud mummy moment. She was brilliant and only 10 years of age. Amma took all her Royal School of Music exams from grade 1 to 8 having practiced the pieces and scales no end on it. Over and over.. and over....and over. With granny's (my mum) encouragement all the way. A particularly sad moment was when my mum couldn't made Amma's final grade, grade 8. She was too poorly. Terminally ill in Victoria hospital. Amma didnt know how bad things were, we kept it from her as that's what mum wanted. She went off to take the exam, for the first time without her granny next to her. She failed. By only 2 marks. I wrote a letter to the royal school of music explaining what had happened. Amma hadn't put in so much practice as she was sitting with her poorly granny so often. They invited her to London to retake the exam. Eric drove her there and back.... in one day!!! Although they couldn't tell Amma she had passed they did give her a wink. sadly her granny had passed away by then but was and still is with us in spirit. Amma played at my mum's funeral. Now that takes strength on a different level. They were so very close.

So you see this piano is far more than just a piece of furniture. It's far more than a musical instrument Amma breathed life into it. Almost every day.

But today I didnt cry like I thought I would. It's gone to a good home. Another little girl with a yearning to play the piano. Another mum who wants a tinkle on the ivories.

Oh my goodness Debs what a story, it is so poignant and heart wrenching. You are all such strong women, you, your mum and your daughter you shoukd be so proud. Its really is all about your bond of love rather than the actual piano...but I know you know that. Well done all of you.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
@dogslife hope you have a wonderful and very special day with your mum. Mine would have been 80 in a few weeks time how I wish she were still here. I am sure you will treasure every minute.
Thank you PenguinMum. We did our best to make the day a happy one for mum and took lots of photos of her opening her gifts and cards. So sorry about your mum. That's how I feel about my dear dad who we lost 8 years ago.:(

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Happy Wednesday, everyone, plus Happy Birthday to your mum, @dogslife .

5.8 here after being woken earlier than I liked because there was a Hungry. Cat. in the apartment and as we all know, Cats. Must. Not. Be. Neglected. Especially when their bowls contain only Cat Chow and they want Chicken. No, Fish. No, Turkey. No, Chicken was best.

Ah, well, it's a lovely morning. Only 11 degrees outside. I really should go out and enjoy the sunshine.
Thanks for your good wishes,SaskiaKC. I hope you went out and enjoyed the sun.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I hope she & the family have a wonderful day @dogslife.
Thanks Bubbsie. We did all we could to make mum's birthday special. Only 4 people came to visit including 2 friends and 2 family. My other cousin and his family are in the USA celebrating his birthday. Mum had lots of lovely cards and presents to open and we decorated her lounge with banners, balloons etc. I prepared a little buffet and we had the family tradition of candles/ cake and "Happy Birthday" singing. :)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hope the day gives wonderful memories for you and mum enjoys the moment. 90 is an achievement so definitely something to celebrate. Sounds to me as though you are doing the perfect thing for a mum you love dearly. Huge respect.
Thank you, ianpspurs. We spent most of the day with mum. She enjoyed opening her cards and gifts. We decorated her lounge with banners, balloons etc. Only 4 visitors came but they helped to make the occasion special. We had a special birthday cake, sang "Happy Birthday" and mum enjoyed blowing out the candles. ( Something our family have always done whatever the age). I put on a small buffet at lunchtime and left cake and nibbles for the carers later. We took lots of photos. I think, as you astutely say, mum enjoyed the moment.:)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

My family got our piano when I was about 7. It stayed in our living room until my parents moved from Atlanta to Birmingham about 30 years later, and about 10 years after that, when they moved to a retirement community, the piano came to me in my then-apartment. They hated the retirement community and fortunately their house had not sold, so they moved back to their house and so did the piano. I have no idea where it is now, I hope it is being loved and played; when I tried to sell it after my parents' death the local piano dealer called it "vintage" -- not even an "antique" so apparently there was no market for it there.

I am very grateful that my current apartment building has 3 pianos that can be played at reasonable hours -- and that at least one of them is kept in tune! It looks like it is made of patent leather but it has a good action and tone.