Type 2 Rising BG. I don’t understand.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I notice that you skip breakfast - when I did that my BG levels rose all morning until I ate at midday - I saw lower BG eating early and late, with about 10 gm of carb in the mornings, as insulin resistance was higher then.

Reactions: Freema and Marie 2

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a type 1, so sometimes my numbers just like to go up for no apparent reason. But a couple of times it turned out I had a tooth infection. Infection treated and my numbers went back to normal right away.

Thanks. No tooth infection as far as I’m aware. Had a check up a couple of months ago, but I guess you never know what is brewing. Thanks

Reactions: Freema

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I notice that you skip breakfast - when I did that my BG levels rose all morning until I ate at midday - I saw lower BG eating early and late, with about 10 gm of carb in the mornings, as insulin resistance was higher then.

I have been known to skip breakfast but recently I’ve been having two eggs fairly early.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

How many grams do you eat per day. Is 10g low for you in the morning because of insulin resistance or is that a large quantity. Not sure I understand. I have eggs which is only about 1g but only have around 20g per day. Sorry if I’m being thick!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For me 10 gm is about quarter or a third of my daily intake of carbs, but I eat low carb foods, so it can be quite a large salad or stir fry. If I don't eat a small amount of carbs in the morning my BG goes on rising.

Reactions: Freema and Flora123

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me 10 gm is about quarter or a third of my daily intake of carbs, but I eat low carb foods, so it can be quite a large salad or stir fry. If I don't eat a small amount of carbs in the morning my BG goes on rising.

Thanks. I’ll give that a go and see what happens

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another thing I don’t understand is that although BG is much higher than normal, I’m still in mild ketosis at between 1 and 1.5. Any time I’ve had a rise before I’ve been knocked out of ketosis for a day or two.

davidjb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football; anything by Kylie Minogue, Madonna, Whitney Houston, any X-Factor/BGT winner, groups like Girls Aloud etc. (you get the picture); misuse of 'your', 'you're', 'their', 'there', etc.; the use of 'of' as an auxiliary verb; Facebook and Twitter (just what the hell is all this 'hashtag' stuff?); 'celebrities'; I could go on but I'm beginning to sound grumpier than I really am.
It is almost a year since I was diagnosed with T2. I’m slim and through low carb I managed to maintain my weight but drop my Hba1c down to 36 in three months and maintain it at 36 since. I’ve had the odd short blip along the way but something has recently changed.

Since the beginning of April I have had constant readings of 7s or 8s with the odd 9. It just won’t go down and I have stopped noticing the odd 4 after a glass of wine in the evening. My diet is the same as I always have - 2 eggs for breakfast, salad with avo or chicken for lunch occasionally wiith avlow csrb jelly and cream as a pudding, and meat and green veg for dinner (which I try to eat early). If I do snack it’s on nuts, cheese or cold meat - I like to keep things simple. I maybe have one square of 90% choc a week and I haven’t had any beige stuff in over a year.

I just don’t understand what is going wrong recently. I was ill a couple of weeks ago but I’m better now. I tried fasting to “reset” but that didn’t make any difference. I have tried skipping breakfast but it just keeps climbing. I’ve tried skipping dinner but it is still high and never dips. I’ve tried cutting down on protein too. My FBG was 7.6 this morning and after breakfast it is 8.4. Even after my usual walk it is still high which is strange as it always dipped after a walk.

Any suggestions wise ones, please... I’m getting worried. Thanks
Just a thought but I don't suppose you are using a different meter or batch of test strips?

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are not taking any medicines and dont have any other health problem. Is it possible for you to try some alternative herb like garlic or turmeric?
I am not sure what caused my glucose to drop from 97 to 87 today. It could be my walk, diet or just fasting. But I ate 4 fresh(small) raw garlic cloves and 3hours later my glucose was 10mg/dl less. You can try with like 2 cloves.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are not taking any medicines and dont have any other health problem. Is it possible for you to try some alternative herb like garlic or turmeric?
I am not sure what caused my glucose to drop from 97 to 87 today. It could be my walk, diet or just fasting. But I ate 4 fresh(small) raw garlic cloves and 3hours later my glucose was 10mg/dl less. You can try with like 2 cloves.

Wow I will try that. I may not be popular tomorrow :)
Thanks

ArsenalCath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The rain and constant testing and insulin injections
I was diagnosed as type two about three years ago due to my age and weight. Only test was glucose tolerance test. My glucose levels kept going up and up despite 2000 mg metformin and almost zero carbs. Loads of exercise and drinking water. I lost a massive amount of weight. My doctor put me on insulin and referred me to a diabetes endocrinologist. She did blood tests and I was diagnosed as type one. If my GP had not put me on insulin I wouldn’t be here today. My pancreas was not producing any insulin whatsoever. Apparently there are thousands of us with insufficient insulin production which can eventually become zero insulin production. If your glucose numbers don’t improve it should definitely be investigated.

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is almost a year since I was diagnosed with T2. I’m slim and through low carb I managed to maintain my weight but drop my Hba1c down to 36 in three months and maintain it at 36 since. I’ve had the odd short blip along the way but something has recently changed.

Since the beginning of April I have had constant readings of 7s or 8s with the odd 9. It just won’t go down and I have stopped noticing the odd 4 after a glass of wine in the evening. My diet is the same as I always have - 2 eggs for breakfast, salad with avo or chicken for lunch occasionally wiith avlow csrb jelly and cream as a pudding, and meat and green veg for dinner (which I try to eat early). If I do snack it’s on nuts, cheese or cold meat - I like to keep things simple. I maybe have one square of 90% choc a week and I haven’t had any beige stuff in over a year.

I just don’t understand what is going wrong recently. I was ill a couple of weeks ago but I’m better now. I tried fasting to “reset” but that didn’t make any difference. I have tried skipping breakfast but it just keeps climbing. I’ve tried skipping dinner but it is still high and never dips. I’ve tried cutting down on protein too. My FBG was 7.6 this morning and after breakfast it is 8.4. Even after my usual walk it is still high which is strange as it always dipped after a walk.

Any suggestions wise ones, please... I’m getting worried. Thanks
I too was slim and diagnosed with type two but every couple of months throughout my firs r year i have spikes that would not correct themselves no matter what I did so my medication was changed and upped each time I was fine for a while then I would spike again heading towards my second year I had a massive spike and ended up in hospita l on a drip due to ketones in my urine my medication was changed and I was put on insulin november 2018 had recent blood tests which showed my body had sought itself out but was told as I had recovered so quickly that I could have been misdiagnosed in the first place and recently had c peptic blood test as they now think I am type 1 and could have been all along

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed as type two about three years ago due to my age and weight. Only test was glucose tolerance test. My glucose levels kept going up and up despite 2000 mg metformin and almost zero carbs. Loads of exercise and drinking water. I lost a massive amount of weight. My doctor put me on insulin and referred me to a diabetes endocrinologist. She did blood tests and I was diagnosed as type one. If my GP had not put me on insulin I wouldn’t be here today. My pancreas was not producing any insulin whatsoever. Apparently there are thousands of us with insufficient insulin production which can eventually become zero insulin production. If your glucose numbers don’t improve it should definitely be investigated.

Hi,
Thank you for sharing your story, please update your profile to show your type one.
Take care

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Fasting elevates waking blood sugars. I find coffee, cream (dirty fasting) brings them down by lunchtime. Dr Jason Fung's books suggest not to be too worried about the waking if you're fasting, as your sugars are only for a couple of hours with the dawn effect.

Sangre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A mitigating step you can take is to exercise and get your heart rate up to the zone for twenty minutes after each meal. If your body has figured out a way to become more insulin resistant, you need to retrain those mitochondria. It won’t get to the bottom of why the sudden change, but it should drop your BG numbers and you should start feeling better. Also, if you can take steam baths every alternate day, that will help reduce the serum glucose. Good luck! Let us know what you experience and find out. I also agree with others that you need to get in to see your doctor. You could be a type 1.5.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
So Flora, for the past week to 10 days my bg has rarely dropped below 6.5 and the last couple of nights it has been constant at above 7.5, normally I drop to nearer 5.0. This is really unusual for me as I am also on a low carb diet. Two differences this year. Firstly we have had a colder spring than usual. My bg always goes up in the winter and was coming down until the weather suddenly became cold again. Also I have had to significantly drop my exercise over the past 2 - 3 weeks as I had a muscle spasm in the middle of my back and then hurt my Achilles tendon that is making it difficult to walk. We all react differently to a mass of different things that affect our bodies. Do either of these ring a bell?
It also seems to close to time for a quarterly A1C. Mine is due next week so I am hoping that whatever is going on in the short term does not affect the true situation. The A1c is the only test that provides an accurate measure of our condition. If it is an option, I might also want to try to find a new GP.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Sangre Warm or hot water affects people differently. Hot or warm water spikes my blood sugar up fast, especially in the am, but even afternoons. I can go up 60 points in a half hour with just warm water. Luckily that spike drops down pretty quickly after, but I feel really bad because it goes up so fast. I try to take showers in the evening as it doesn't seem to affect me nearly as much then.