Type 1'stars R Us

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sat on a 5 most of the morning so decided on a simple lunch. Hold the insulin. Salad leaves, 2 toms cut up, cucumber, celery, grated courgette, topped by tin of tuna. Chomped my way through it and test afterwards to see how much this sort of food rises me. 20 mins later 8.4 1hr later 14.6 and still rising!!! 4 units in still not coming down but has levelled off. Would have been better with a piece of bread with it that I had pre injected for.

Reactions: MeiChanski

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Sat on a 5 most of the morning so decided on a simple lunch. Hold the insulin. Salad leaves, 2 toms cut up, cucumber, celery, grated courgette, topped by tin of tuna. Chomped my way through it and test afterwards to see how much this sort of food rises me. 20 mins later 8.4 1hr later 14.6 and still rising!!! 4 units in still not coming down but has levelled off. Would have been better with a piece of bread with it that I had pre injected for.

Good grief - that's a large rise. The salad would have been about 10g judging by my normal lunch (before I add the hummus). I have 5 cherry toms, 3 baby sweetcorn, a carrot, a large chunk of cauli and about 2" of cucumber. Sometimes I add broccoli and lettuce. Usually comes out at about 10g, so the bread must have been the guilty culprit.

Reactions: kitedoc

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
As @porl69 is sharing his tea preferences on the coffee discussion, mine are
- absolutely no skimmed milk, semi skimmed milk, full fat milk, pasteurised milk, unpasteurised milk, UHT milk or cream
- weak to medium strong
- black, not green
- no sugar, honey, artificial sweetener
- made with boiling water
- drunk hot
- made in a pot with tea leaves
- not smoked
- no fruit flavourings but spices (chai) very acceptable
- not drunk after 6pm

Apart from that, I'm not fussy at all :)
I tried Pu-erh tea (fermented) at the weekend and rather liked it.

I like rooibos, no milk, no sweetener, fairly strong. Add a drop of cold water so I can drink it without having to wait yonks.

I quite like green or white tea (no milk, no sweetener) but I don't like normal black tea very much at all.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Phosphoric acid - in a foodstuff? That's just weird...

Don't look at the ingredients list for Coke :)

(The various phosphoric acid derivatives are commonly used as buffers, which is chemistry for pH stabilisers.)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Don't look at the ingredients list for Coke :)

(The various phosphoric acid derivatives are commonly used as buffers, which is chemistry for pH stabilisers.)

I admit that I haven't touched coke, pepsi or other fizzy drinks for a long time now. My dentist told me that even though I was having the unsweetened variety, the acids in the drinks munches away at tooth enamel and does very real damage.

I love my teeth more than I love fizzy drinks, so I stick to plain water, flavoured water (cold infusion bags) or coffee/rooibos now.

I will admit to having a filter jug because our local water tastes gross. I filter it and it tastes fine. Dentist told me to be sure to use fluoride toothpaste if I'm filtering the water, and I blindly obey....

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Indeed :hilarious:

Just made my last one for the afternoon:

ANtzCJ.jpg

Reactions: Fairygodmother
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Apparently it's not gallstones, she going for a MRI scan :(

Update on granddaughter, she looked so young in the bed, but talking and telling me what the pain was like yesterday. The MRI scan is now tomorrow and they think it could possibly be inflammation of the liver ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Appointment for the pain clinic this afternoon was cancelled, 10 mins before I got to out patients !! The lady told me the appointment had been cancelled and they tried to ring me, I checked phone and it then that I saw the 10 mins. I will put in a complaint as the doctor/consultant wasn't there because they had to take their annual leave :***::wideyed::arghh: you couldn't make it up could you, bizarre and so annoying too, but a nice cup of tea is helping, with milk :joyful:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I like rooibos, no milk, no sweetener, fairly strong. Add a drop of cold water so I can drink it without having to wait yonks.

I quite like green or white tea (no milk, no sweetener) but I don't like normal black tea very much at all.

So you don't want to be known as Hotlips then ;):p

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
2 hypos yesterday and 2 more today
Went as low as 3.3 just now and didn't feel a thing this time, my fingers are beginning to hurt from all this pricking. Should I just stuff a load of biscuits inside me instead of glucotabs and cheddars?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 hypos yesterday and 2 more today
Went as low as 3.3 just now and didn't feel a thing this time, my fingers are beginning to hurt from all this pricking. Should I just stuff a load of biscuits inside me instead of glucotabs and cheddars?
If you have some juice or jelly babies might be quicker than glucotabs and cheddars, I recommend coke and oreos :hilarious:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep forgetting to inject a little less for standard stuff now I've upped the basal. So I tend to drop after food, and only after dropping I remember I should've reduced my bolus because I upped the basal.

Oh well, we'll see if I learn before diabetes decides to do something completely new :)

Not yet today. Injected the same amount of insulin for the same 2 beers as yesterday :banghead:
Fingerprick has me at 4.4, so still in the green but I still can't believe I did this even after posting about it. I guess I'll have to up the speed with the second beer:wacky:
(and my Libre usually reads between 0.5 and 1.5 mmol lower than finger pricks, so still a very nice graph but not quite as nice as it looks :p I'll take it any day, though :) )
61667487_10217658698293588_2339730494452662272_n.jpg

Reactions: hh1 and Knikki