Maybe - just maybe I'll get tested

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Tomorrow morning I have an appointment at my local GP clinic.
I have been asked to arrange an annual review for my hypothyroid and diabetes in a series of letters from some central office far away.
When I phoned I was given an appointment with a nurse at a different practice, so off I went - only to find that it was a five yearly health check - asking things such as did I drink or smoke, checking my height and weight - nothing to do with the ongoing situation.
The letters telling me to go for an annual health check have continued to arrive, so I called the number on the letter and had a few words - so now I have an appointment at my usual surgery - it is to discus my high cholesterol level. I was phoned and told to fast for it so they can do a blood test.
I asked about my Hba1c and perhaps a check of my glucose levels - and maybe my thyroid - I was told that when tested at the end of last year my levels were normal - as I did not have any blood taken at the end of last year it is amazing that they know that.
I do not hold out much hope for tomorrow's appointment, but I do intend to make a few points.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Let us know how it goes.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with that.... as they say.... given the interactions you've had to date....

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I do not hold out much hope for tomorrow's appointment, but I do intend to make a few points.

I've had several appointments for different things in a short of time, including 2 cystoscopies (one flexible, one not therefore under GA), 1 prostate biopsy (diagnosed as cancer that is so insignificant there is no treatment, just regular PSAs), endocrinologist appointment for metabolic problems and gastroenterologist appointment because of liver function issues. The only concern is with the confusion over appointments. Especially the method of communication, text, eMail or letter, nothing seemed consistent and none of them seemed to be totally aware of the other ongoing investigations, I always volunteered that info.

I'm mentioning all of this because it has lead me to believe that the lack of a central computer system means that the left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing. Could this be behind your experience?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Tomorrow morning I have an appointment at my local GP clinic.
I have been asked to arrange an annual review for my hypothyroid and diabetes in a series of letters from some central office far away.
When I phoned I was given an appointment with a nurse at a different practice, so off I went - only to find that it was a five yearly health check - asking things such as did I drink or smoke, checking my height and weight - nothing to do with the ongoing situation.
The letters telling me to go for an annual health check have continued to arrive, so I called the number on the letter and had a few words - so now I have an appointment at my usual surgery - it is to discus my high cholesterol level. I was phoned and told to fast for it so they can do a blood test.
I asked about my Hba1c and perhaps a check of my glucose levels - and maybe my thyroid - I was told that when tested at the end of last year my levels were normal - as I did not have any blood taken at the end of last year it is amazing that they know that.

Good grief, that is just appalling service. I would be making a few points too. Good luck.

M

Member496333

Sounds farcical from your description of events. This is why I’ve undertaken private lab testing for everything I want to know about my health. Far less stress and way more informative. Obviously I appreciate that not everyone can, or wants to, pay privately, but it’s the way forward for folk in our shoes if we have the means and inclination.

Good luck!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Right - just off to the local surgery - it is pouring with rain, so at least there is a change in the weather....

Reactions: Tophat1900

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know who was the most confused about NHS procedure and my treatment. It took half the appointment for her to realize that I was not on medication, but at least I had a blood sample taken, and gave a urine sample for kidney function - no idea what the blood is to be tested for - hopefully a Hba1c but I would not swear to it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know who was the most confused about NHS procedure and my treatment. It took half the appointment for her to realize that I was not on medication, but at least I had a blood sample taken, and gave a urine sample for kidney function - no idea what the blood is to be tested for - hopefully a Hba1c but I would not swear to it.
How many tubes did she fill?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have another appointment in two weeks time with someone else - someone I have seen before, but that might go either way.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@Resurgam , You have every right to ask and receive an answer about what you are being tested for and why and comment upon it.
Otherwise it sounds like it is a Big Brother or Big Sister state system.¿

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
By the time the blood was being taken I think I'd given up caring - I have come home and eaten strawberries and will have coffee with cream as the percolator has stopped blooping - the Wimborne Folk Festival starts today, so I will be able to sing and play all weekend.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
By the time the blood was being taken I think I'd given up caring - I have come home and eaten strawberries and will have coffee with cream as the percolator has stopped blooping - the Wimborne Folk Festival starts today, so I will be able to sing and play all weekend.
Enjoyment of life's pleasure blitzes the mundanity of blood tests anytime !!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
They usually do three if you are having a full test panel.. HbA1c, cholesterol and another that I can never remember..
Good luck with whatever you end up with!
I think I've only ever had one tube taken, for cholesterol, thyroid and HbA1c (and Vit D last time).

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is always a two way discussion when I have an appt with my nurse, I often talk more than her! I ask for different blood tests if she only suggests some but not the ones I want. I have a vitamin B12 level included with my next HbA1c because I asked. I always check with the HCA what tests she has down to be done before I let her near me with her needle!

Reactions: Prem51

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Have you ever tried going to reception and saying, “I need an a1c and a thyroid panel, can you book that please?” The receptionist might just put it through without thinking...

Reactions: hankjam

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Terrible treatment compared with my surgery. I always look at my bloods request form to see what is being tested. As I choose to go to the local hospital 'bloods' clinic I'm given the form by my nurse. Have you asked for access to your online test results? It's very useful and saves time at any review.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The clinic is very close by so I can just make a short diversion on my way to the shops and get my results - or at least the ones I am interested in.