GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all
Im already coeliac and lactose intolerant then yesterday I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes! Obviously it was a dark day yesterday and still getting my head around this! The nurse asked if I’d known I was pre diabetic for the past 2 years... erm Nope!
I was shocked as I was 10.2 mmol.
I’ve been coeliac for only 2 years.
What the heck can I eat?
Nurse very abrupt... no you cannot have more than two small potatoes a day. No you cannot have gluten free no sugar cornflakes as sugar amount per 100g was 9 and it has to be less than 5.
I can have eggs not fried, bacon, veg fruit but no berries or soft fruit! Bananas only small snack size.
I said wow this will be so restrictive!
I said I’m going away and I struggle to get gluten free snacks and realise the bars are very sugar loaded. She suggested a small bag of cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks.
Ok this will be healthy and I feel my sugars must’ve gone up cos I started having 1 red glass wine a day and drinking chocolate every night.
Once I had my scary letter red blood test and before I knew I cut out sugar in coffee the red wine and hot choc. The only symptom I had was a sore tongue and dry mouth - had this for 5 months.
Two days of not having this sugar my dry mouth and tongue are healthy again.
I feel I’m miffed that I wasn’t given the chance to just try diet rather then straight onto metformin.
Just had my 2nd metformin (day 2) and yes feel pregnant lol. Nausea slight in waves. I took first one at 4 pm yesterday and felt human at 12 noon today - 20 hours of slight nausea.
Does the side effect increase as dose increases? The happy side is I don’t feel like eating and yes need to lose weight even though I do go to a ladies gym 3 tines week.
Do I ring my coeliac diet nurse as I’m at risk of osteoporosis and need to have more calcium but hey I’m lactose intolerant so can I eat my lactofree cheese whilst diabetic??
Realise I’ve posted so much! Ps anyone get an ovary tenderness, just started yesterday and I read this drug treats pcos?
I’ve read the ‘newly diagnosed’ part and am so grateful for finding you!
Ps I’m female aged 57 and UK.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it is a shock, and just another weight on your shoulders, but I think you will find it easier than you expect.

As a type 2, reducing carbs is a priority. And where does gluten come from? All those carbs.
So you are already well aware of how important it is to cut out problematic foods.

When I went gluten free I was pretty disgusted with all the frankenfoods produced under the gluten free banner. They are very disappointing. Poor flavours, textures and hiked prices, as well as being highly processed.

Combining a low carb way of eating (meat, fish, eggs, above ground veg, and lower carb fruits like berries) and being gluten free is very compatible.

As for needing to be lacto free... there are some great lacto free dairy products available nowadays. Milk, cheese, etc. Also plenty of low carb nut milks that have become very popular. These have plenty of calcium. I can take lactose, but not whey, so I also have to be very selective in my dairy choices.

As for lower carb snack bar options, there are quite a few around. Kind bars, Phd bars, Peanut 9bars. I rarely eat these, so others can give you better suggestions.

Breakfast? Check out the carbs of those cereals. I eat protein instead. Cold meats and cheeses (those lacto free ones), bacon, eggs, high meat quality sausage, crustless quiches, chia puddings, pate on flaxseed crackers, leftovers from the night before, hard boiled eggs... there are actually a lot of options).

So have a hug, because I know these things can seem very overwhelming, but I promise you, there are still a lot of great food options available. Enjoyable ones. But it will take a while to make the mental/emotional adjustment.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Awww Thankyou and a tear in my eye.
Nice to know I’m not alone with all my eating intolerances!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome GuidingSenses,
Just to say you are amongst many people with intolerances so you’re in good company, us Type 2s are intolerant of carbs :)

Reactions: GuidingSenses

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@GuidingSenses - I tested negative for Coeliac, but on Endo's orders I adhere to a GF lifestyle. If you are already avoiding gluten, you will be swerving many carbs, unless you have been using gluten-free breads, pasta and so on?

I had been low carb for over 3 years when the need to go GF arrived with me. I initially thought it'd be a dawdle, due to me not eating bread, pasta or pastry anyway. Needless to say I've had a few surpises along the way for where that pesky gluten hides. Worcestershire Sauce? Cola? And so on, Who knew? Not me!

Anyway, At the point of going gluten free my diabetes had already been wrangled into a good place, and actually, my bloods have been better since going GF.

You'll be fine. There are a number of members diagnosed with coeliac here already, although they're mainly T1s - both conditions being auto-immune in nature, so there are plenty folks around who have relevant experiences to share with you.

Undoubtedly, there'll be changes to be made, but after a relatively short while, you'll be into the swing of it all. Many folks say they feel better, healthier and are slimmer following their T2 diagnosis, so it's not all always bad news.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really good advice from everyone here and and nice to hear that your nurse advises low carb.

The only thing I did wonder is that you may have miss-remembered what your nurse said about fruit - which is not surprising as all of this is a huge shock.

So with bananas at around 22g carbs per 100g and strawberries and raspberries at 6g per 100g - berries are the better bet.

Edited to correct an auto-correct correction

Reactions: JPS

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been told lies , fake people
Hello all
Im already coeliac and lactose intolerant then yesterday I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes! Obviously it was a dark day yesterday and still getting my head around this! The nurse asked if I’d known I was pre diabetic for the past 2 years... erm Nope!
What the heck can I eat?
Nurse very abrupt... no you cannot have more than two small potatoes a day. No you cannot have gluten free no sugar cornflakes as sugar amount per 100g was 9 and it has to be less than 5.
I can have eggs not fried, bacon, veg fruit but no berries or soft fruit! Bananas only small snack size.
I said I’m going away and I struggle to get gluten free snacks and realise the bars are very sugar loaded. She suggested a small bag of cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks.
Ok this will be healthy and I feel my sugars must’ve gone up cos I started having 1 red glass wine a day and drinking chocolate every night.
Once I had my scary letter red blood test and before I knew I cut out sugar in coffee the red wine and hot choc. The only symptom I had was a sore tongue and dry mouth - had this for 5 months.
I feel I’m miffed that I wasn’t given the chance to just try diet rather then straight onto metformin.
Just had my 2nd metformin (day 2) and yes feel pregnant lol. Nausea slight in waves. I took first one at 4 pm yesterday and felt human at 12 noon today - 20 hours of slight nausea.
Does the side effect increase as dose increases? The happy side is I don’t feel like eating and yes need to lose weight even though I do go to a ladies gym 3 tines week.
Do I ring my coeliac diet nurse as I’m at risk of osteoporosis and need to have more calcium but hey I’m lactose intolerant so can I eat my lactofree cheese whilst diabetic??
Realise I’ve posted so much! Ps anyone get an ovary tenderness, just started yesterday and I read this drug treats pcos?
Hi @GuidingSenses
Warm welcome to the forum.
One good thing you have done is joined this forum.

The advice I have got from experienced fellow diabetics members on this forum that has been invaluable to me and I'm sure quite alot of others

Ask plenty of questions if you need to .
We are all here to try to help each other on our journeys.

Hope you have a nice Sunday. X

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Welcome to the forums! I had the same experience as you, when I was diagnosed one month ago as T2, I found out that the docs knew I was pre diabetic in March 2015, but nobody told me! Apparently I had 'fallen through the cracks of their computer system.'
But at least we know now, and can do something about it xx

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Really good advice from everyone here and and nice to hear that your nurse advises low carb.

The only thing I did wonder is that you may have miss-remembered what your nurse said about fruit - which is not surprising as all of this is a huge shock.

So with bananas at around 22g carbs per 100g and strawberries and raspberries at 6g per 100g - berries are the better bet.

Edited to correct an auto-correct correction

Yes she did say about soft berries being bad as full of sugar yet the handout book has contradicted a lot of what she said! Nasty abrupt nurse

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Limited amounts of berries are fine for many of us. I eat raspberries with full fat real greek yogurt or cream, but coconut cream is nice if that is OK for you.
Can you have butter? load it on if you go low carb, and olive oil dressings on green salads.
Can you tolerant stevia based sweeteners such as truvia? And almonds or coconut flour? There are vegan low carb recipes here and on other sites.
How many carbs are you aiming for? As I was diagnosed early on I choose to limit my carbs to 100g a day and my blood sugars dropped fast, then down to 85g a day to get it fully into remission. Some people need to go lower, and it seems if is harder to get into remission if you've been diabetic for a while but you can still get a good control and lower the risks.
If you buy a meter you can check how you react to foods.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all
What the heck can I eat?
Loads of us have more to deal with than "just" T2, so you're certaily not alone there! Dairy poses problems for me because it aggrivates the rheumatism, though not as much as it used to since I went low carb. (I fry my eggs by the way. And berries rock.). You'll be okay. You've made adjustments to your diet before, you can do it again. As for metformin, in the leaflet it probably says people are to try a diet change for 3 months prior to being perscribed that stuff. Basically everyone gets put straight on it though. But if it keeps making you feel icky, you can probably get off the meds if you do follow low carb. I was on drugs (first metformin, then gliclazide as the first didn't agree with me.), for about 3 months. I've been diabetic for 3 years now and have spent the rest of that time without T2 related meds (could even ditch the statins), and have been solidly in the non-diabetoc range. So jut a few tweaks and you're good to go.

Maybe this'll help, https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ as well as directing you to dietdoctor.com and dr. jason Fung's The Diabetes Code.

You're going to be okay.
Jo

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Limited amounts of berries are fine for many of us. I eat raspberries with full fat real greek yogurt or cream, but coconut cream is nice if that is OK for you.
Can you have butter? load it on if you go low carb, and olive oil dressings on green salads.
Can you tolerant stevia based sweeteners such as truvia? And almonds or coconut flour? There are vegan low carb recipes here and on other sites.
How many carbs are you aiming for? As I was diagnosed early on I choose to limit my carbs to 100g a day and my blood sugars dropped fast, then down to 85g a day to get it fully into remission. Some people need to go lower, and it seems if is harder to get into remission if you've been diabetic for a while but you can still get a good control and lower the risks.
If you buy a meter you can check how you react to foods.

I’m not counting carbs. I wasn’t told to just to get under a percentage per food (I think - sorry I haven’t got my sheet with me)
I’m not having sugar, having one canderel in black coffee. Not having red wine - swapped to g&t.
Don’t have pastry or cake
Eating fruit instead of gluten free bars.
I’d like not to measure carbs as such but my book says 3 carbs a day, like 3 x gluten free brown bread or other etc.
Yes I’m having 0% Greek Yogurt with fruit.
Learning so much about all this and Thankyou

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes she did say about soft berries being bad as full of sugar yet the handout book has contradicted a lot of what she said! Nasty abrupt nurse
That was a shame that she was so nasty and also that she gave you that wrong advice about the berries.

Also - as @JoKalsbeek says - frying eggs is fine. So I would be inclined to ignore the advice of your nurse not to fry eggs.

You have definitely come to the right place here - there is so much knowledge and expertise on this forum.

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Loads of us have more to deal with than "just" T2, so you're certaily not alone there! Dairy poses problems for me because it aggrivates the rheumatism, though not as much as it used to since I went low carb. (I fry my eggs by the way. And berries rock.). You'll be okay. You've made adjustments to your diet before, you can do it again. As for metformin, in the leaflet it probably says people are to try a diet change for 3 months prior to being perscribed that stuff. Basically everyone gets put straight on it though. But if it keeps making you feel icky, you can probably get off the meds if you do follow low carb. I was on drugs (first metformin, then gliclazide as the first didn't agree with me.), for about 3 months. I've been diabetic for 3 years now and have spent the rest of that time without T2 related meds (could even ditch the statins), and have been solidly in the non-diabetoc range. So jut a few tweaks and you're good to go.

Maybe this'll help, https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ as well as directing you to dietdoctor.com and dr. jason Fung's The Diabetes Code.

You're going to be okay.
Jo

Brill Thankyou

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m so sorry you had a miserable nurse whose knowledge and information seems a bit on the iffy side....but at least you are here now! My partner is prediabetic and tries to follow my LCHF diet but is coeliac and dairy intolerant as well which makes her life difficult. If you are ok with dairy, go for full fat Greek Yoghurt and add any berries to it for a nice small meal or desert. The nurse was talking cobbles about berries, they are generally fine for many diabetics, although other fruit is not.

Invest in the book and app called Carbs and Cals, it is incredibly useful while you adjust diet.

Also try to get a glucometer - generally self funded if you are type 2 - and test before and 2 hours after eating various foods, it’s really the only way to tell what will really spike your blood glucose levels. There are some nice gluten free protein bars which are 8 or under g of carb - fine to have one a day - Trek do a new Protein Bar which tastes great and is only 6.8g carbs, Asda have a sea salt and chocolate protein bar, gluten free, also 8g, and Nine do a nice nut bar as well -also GF and under 9g

This is a great place to be if you are diabetic, glad you found it.

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m so sorry you had a miserable nurse whose knowledge and information seems a bit on the iffy side....but at least you are here now! My partner is prediabetic and tries to follow my LCHF diet but is coeliac and dairy intolerant as well which makes her life difficult. If you are ok with dairy, go for full fat Greek Yoghurt and add any berries to it for a nice small meal or desert. The nurse was talking cobbles about berries, they are generally fine for many diabetics, although other fruit is not.

Invest in the book and app called Carbs and Cals, it is incredibly useful while you adjust diet.

Also try to get a glucometer - generally self funded if you are type 2 - and test before and 2 hours after eating various foods, it’s really the only way to tell what will really spike your blood glucose levels. There are some nice gluten free protein bars which are 8 or under g of carb - fine to have one a day - Trek do a new Protein Bar which tastes great and is only 6.8g carbs, Asda have a sea salt and chocolate protein bar, gluten free, also 8g, and Nine do a nice nut bar as well -also GF and under 9g

This is a great place to be if you are diabetic, glad you found it.

This is really useful Thankyou! I’ve taken a screenshot as I do like a bar after the gym.