What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 and an early appointment at the docs for a general review. I'm not overly worried as my health seems ok lately apart from not losing weight. There are worse things in the world so I am grateful for 'where' I am. Hope you all have a great day :)

You are a good friend, @HarrisonK . I am hoping to find someone to drive me to the little town I'm thinking about moving to. It will be a long day trip -- two hours there and two back and I'd like to spend a couple there looking around. And interstate, = motorway, only about halfway.

I love driving, even in countries that refuse to drive on the correct side of the road ;):) I know a lot of people on the spectrum who won't/can't drive, my wife being one of them, so I value the fact that it is one of the things I love in life. Always up for a road trip :)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not bad since I have a Cochlear Hospital appointment at 8am.
Hope all goes smoothly with the appointment gennepher...I remember our journeys to Holyhead (thankfully on the train) the start of our travel to Dublin...onto the ferry & as sick as a dog on the crossing.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The rain is still cascading down here. No let up for 48 hours so far and if the sky is to be believed no let up in the foreseeable future either. 5.5 for me today.
I managed to actually get onto the rowing machine yesterday and did 10 mins on the lowest resistance, I then staggered back to the sofa and had a coffee to revive me. I fear this getting fit lark will not be quick! Still I suppose that getting fat and unfit didn't happen overnight do why would the opposite be true!
Off to work this morning then a consultant appointment with my mum for the results of her radiotherapy sessions.
Take care

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same here Harrison the majority of the time... I have no idea how I would manage without a car here.

I do miss my car, haven't been without one since I passed my test at 17 so it was a big decision. Not being able to just wake up and go on a random journey is what I miss most. So, doing the occasional journey for my friend is nice.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning folks, a 5.7 on the dice, hope your appointment goes well and they sort your implant out @gennepher, I've driven across to Holyhead for the ferry many times in the past, safe journey.
Good start @trick60. Hope Mrs T60's facial injuries continue to heal and her interview went well. @HarrisonK hope the review goes well and good to hear you enjoyed the road trip. @Bildad great fbg and good to hear you used the rowing machine and have a sense of perspective regarding turning your level off fitness around. Hope your mum's consultation is good news.

Last edited:

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @ianpspurs I am hoping that the rowing gets easier as time goes on or it will be back on eBay! I know that Rome was not built in a day but I am not the most patient of people. I want to be fit but do not enjoy the process of getting fit. I get quite grumpy if I don't see results quickly.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.3 today after a very satisfactory supper of moules and monkfish and a good sleep. We had a long walk in the rain and wind yesterday which must have helped too. Seems like its bad weather across the country as here but yet Cornwall is just tickety boo! @gennepher hope all goes well at the hearing clinic. Take care everyone out and about. Stay well, stay safe.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not heard of Janie Bolitho before. I will have to see if I can find her books.

Can the people at the cattery text you a pic of your girls so you can see what they're up to? I'm glad they have each other under that rug. ^. .^. .^
The character is Rose Trevelyan and the series of of books are know as the Rose Trevelyan series as the author did write other stuff.
The cattery dont have time to even reply to an enquiry, tried that in the past, anyway not sure I want to see them

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The character is Rose Trevelyan and the series of of books are know as the Rose Trevelyan series as the author did write other stuff.
The cattery dont have time to even reply to an enquiry, tried that in the past, anyway not sure I want to see them
......not sure I want to see them looking glum! We will be reunited on Saturday.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 6.2 this morning after a panic realising I hadn’t replaced cat litter when emptying it for bins last night. Poor cat not amused but had waited cross legged, bless her.
@PenguinMum Cornwall is obviously agreeing with you - great fbg! I’m looking forward to our coffee break later.
@Krystyne23040 good fbg and a winter jumper so a great start to your day!
@gennepher hope your journey and your cochlear appointment are stress free
@Bildad I do hope your mum has good news at her appointment, an anxious time for all the family I imagine. Well done on the rower yesterday - your tale of how you bought it made me smile - I have done similar things very often and think I too must stop the late night browsing.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, I have been operating clandestine for a few days; some quiet reflecting of events in the past. I am so far behind on the thread that...(enter pithy ending).

FBG according to the wheel of hustings and half truths came in at 6.0 so not a great deal of backing for that.

The world outside the garden looks a bit fed up at present; windy and very wet. The plants are loving it.
I may have to borrow Mrs Miggins’ car to get over for my HbA1c blood letting session in a while; I don’t have a car myself and am feeling a tad wimpy today about walking in rain.

Anyhow, have a great day if you can, another milk free tea for me.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @ianpspurs I am hoping that the rowing gets easier as time goes on or it will be back on eBay! I know that Rome was not built in a day but I am not the most patient of people. I want to be fit but do not enjoy the process of getting fit. I get quite grumpy if I don't see results quickly.
The quick results point is a function of how you define quick and how you measure results. If you are pooped at 10 mins day 1 and manage 12 mins by day 7 you have made progress. Length of time spent, resistance, speed, recovery time can all be varied to provide quite quick progress. IMHO the key is how repeatable the exercise is or will be. You walk your dogs so you have an opportunity to do some different intensity walking there as well. You will get there.
@dunelm hope the A1c goes well and the introspection served your purposes. I find introspection is like seasoning, so easily overdone or overlooked but done well it lifts everything.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
5.3 today - very happy

Have to be somewhere at 9 am so dashing.

Its diabetes week so I will just share my social media post from yesterday as I can do that quickly:

Its Diabetes Awareness Week. Prepare yourself my Facebook friends!

Just been for my annual diabetic retinal eye screening so things a bit blurry, apologies in advance for typos!

So what have the last 18 months taught me? Here's just a few things. There are far too many to mention in one post.

Dont take your good health for granted, your health is your wealth.

Listen to your body

Look forward and not back, you cant change the past

Diabetes, although serious can thankfully be manageable

Type 1 and type 2 are entirely different and need to be named differently

Illnesses aren't always apparent from the outside

The advice the NHS give to type 2 diabetics is rubbish

Health providers more often just treat the symptoms and tell diabetics it's a progressive illness and don't inform on how to stop the progression

The NHS could save billions if they changed their advice and gave out blood glucose testing kits and strips

More diabetes education is required. For NHS staff/health care professionals and patients alike.

What a carbohydrate is! And how much sugar is hidden within. A lot!

Fruit isn't as good for you as you might think. There are good and bad choices when diabetic. A little grape i now class as a sugar BOMB. Natural sugars in fruit can still wreak havoc with blood sugars. Berries are best.

Sugar is addictive and buried within most of our food under over 50 different names....for a reason!

Big pharma companies and food industries are behind lots of research into what we should class as healthy.

Healthy symbols on packaging can often be misleading

Low carb way of eating works for me, it keeps me full for longer, but it's not for everyone

Fat is my friend not my enemy

Low fat often means high sugar

Cholestrol is misunderstood

I can still eat chocolate

Being overweight is not good for your health it can lead to health issues including type 2 diabetes

You CAN change your life and better your health with a little determination and commitment and lots of support from friends and family

I can lose weight! And keep it off!!!

Dont believe all you read, research things for yourself

I'm in remission I'm not cured

My diagnosis was a blessing in disguise, I've never felt healthier or as good about myself.

I love inspirational quotes! They help @karen8967 thank you - last line added this morning. ;-)

Happy Tuesday to all.

Wow you look amazing xx

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do miss my car, haven't been without one since I passed my test at 17 so it was a big decision. Not being able to just wake up and go on a random journey is what I miss most. So, doing the occasional journey for my friend is nice.
I hadn't realised you have no car Harrison oops...we're quite rural here I see a bus now & again... I'd be really stuck without mine.

Reactions: Debandez and jjraak