What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had peripheral neuropathy all my life in feet and hands, but since I have (and for some time before I was diagnosed) been diagnosed with diabetes it has got worse in my feet. I would quite happily walk in bare feet in freezing snow to kill the pain etc. The pains are bad, constant with extra intermittent sharp pains thrown in. It is worse when I lie down with my legs up or when I am in bed.

I do get checked by the podiatry clinic. They check the feeling in my toes and feet and ankles. I do have amitriptyline, but it barely works long enough for me to get to sleep, and with waking up many times during the night, I have nothing else I can use.

I found that drinking tonic water with quinine in helps. But I have to remember to keep it up. And if I have a lot going on I forget quite a few things. ...

>^..^<

Oh poor you must be so exhausting and anoying

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. A dripping June puts everything in tune so chin up folks. @HarrisonK great fbg and be careful on those roads with Miss Daisy. @Bildad great numbers and a very useful purchase my favourite piece of gym equipment. @Shas3 a single figure won't derail the long term journey- just a delay at roadworks. My fbg was 6.4 according to my meter on one of the rare outings over the past 6 months. I don't advocate not testing frequently but I had a game plan which panned out ok. 6 month numbers in signature - 0.1 rise from Dec offset by every other piece of data/blood work best for 4 years. Biggest win could have come from cutting out coffee for most of the time and no alcohol for the whole time dealing with waking at stupid o'clock. Back to testing and mapping against cals as well as carbs - body seems to helpfully dump glucose at substantial cal deficit (>800 per day.) May also see if alcohol adversely affects sleep and resting pulse as I think it does. Long post but I have given LC and testing a broadside at times lately bottom line for me is it is a framework which needs big personalisation.

Ian Such wisdom is what newbies (coming up to a year in a few months) like myself need. In the early days i used to despair (and less often excited) at every reading. But have now realized a single reading is just that - one point in a long journey. Your approach of recording everything makes me wonder how detailed and exhaustive your spreadsheets must be. As a market researcher whose job is to crunch numbers for a living, i can imagine running statistical analysis ranging from simple correlations to more insightful multi variate analysis and probably come with predictive modeling .... maybe a business opportunity Have a great day Sir!!

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen, if you fit into neither category please read no more. If you are a politician read no further, if you are a Tory politician involved in the leadership contest hang your head in shame and read no further. That's better I've got my dig in about politicians.....again.

A well behaved 6.4 for me this morning.

Well folks today is a day of wonderment and delight, I know what I'm doing as long as Mrs J doesn't things should be fun. I hope you all have a good day, try smiling at a traffic warden then watch the wardens reaction hehehe.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Ian Such wisdom is what newbies (coming up to a year in a few months) like myself need. In the early days i used to despair (and less often excited) at every reading. But have now realized a single reading is just that - one point in a long journey. Your approach of recording everything makes me wonder how detailed and exhaustive your spreadsheets must be. As a market researcher whose job is to crunch numbers for a living, i can imagine running statistical analysis ranging from simple correlations to more insightful multi variate analysis and probably come with predictive modeling .... maybe a business opportunity Have a great day Sir!!

Hello.
A single reading is just a snapshot at that moment in my opinion 5 minutes either side and the reading will be different.
Many sympathies for being involved in statistical analysis. Good luck with your quest for trying to predict blood sugar levels. Have you thought about simultaneous equations with an infinite number of variables, yes you must have.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 today - very happy

Have to be somewhere at 9 am so dashing.

Its diabetes week so I will just share my social media post from yesterday as I can do that quickly:

Its Diabetes Awareness Week. Prepare yourself my Facebook friends!

Just been for my annual diabetic retinal eye screening so things a bit blurry, apologies in advance for typos!

So what have the last 18 months taught me? Here's just a few things. There are far too many to mention in one post.

Dont take your good health for granted, your health is your wealth.

Listen to your body

Look forward and not back, you cant change the past

Diabetes, although serious can thankfully be manageable

Type 1 and type 2 are entirely different and need to be named differently

Illnesses aren't always apparent from the outside

The advice the NHS give to type 2 diabetics is rubbish

Health providers more often just treat the symptoms and tell diabetics it's a progressive illness and don't inform on how to stop the progression

The NHS could save billions if they changed their advice and gave out blood glucose testing kits and strips

More diabetes education is required. For NHS staff/health care professionals and patients alike.

What a carbohydrate is! And how much sugar is hidden within. A lot!

Fruit isn't as good for you as you might think. There are good and bad choices when diabetic. A little grape i now class as a sugar BOMB. Natural sugars in fruit can still wreak havoc with blood sugars. Berries are best.

Sugar is addictive and buried within most of our food under over 50 different names....for a reason!

Big pharma companies and food industries are behind lots of research into what we should class as healthy.

Healthy symbols on packaging can often be misleading

Low carb way of eating works for me, it keeps me full for longer, but it's not for everyone

Fat is my friend not my enemy

Low fat often means high sugar

Cholestrol is misunderstood

I can still eat chocolate

Being overweight is not good for your health it can lead to health issues including type 2 diabetes

You CAN change your life and better your health with a little determination and commitment and lots of support from friends and family

I can lose weight! And keep it off!!!

Dont believe all you read, research things for yourself

I'm in remission I'm not cured

My diagnosis was a blessing in disguise, I've never felt healthier or as good about myself.

I love inspirational quotes! They help @karen8967 thank you - last line added this morning. ;-)

Happy Tuesday to all.

Attachments

• IMG-20190404-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20190404-WA0006.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 20190406_200248.jpg
    20190406_200248.jpg
    965.8 KB · Views: 130

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Shas, no wisdom just applying the old idea of stating the obvious as @alf_Josiah says above. It is not hard to imagine very different factors having a much larger impact on certain people. Plenty of research suggests wellbeing holds the key - I take that as meaning you need to properly buy into a lifestyle of which your woe is but a part. I sense you are well on your way. Take care.

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.3 today - very happy

Its diabetes week so I will just share my social media post from yesterday as I can do that quickly:

Just been for my annual diabetic retinal eye screening so things a bit blurry, apologies in advance for typos!

So what have the last 18 months taught me? Here's just a few things. There are far too many to mention in one post.

Listen to your body

Health providers more often just treat the symptoms and tell diabetics it's a progressive illness and don't inform on how to stop the progression

The NHS could save billions if they changed their advice and gave out blood glucose testing kits and strips

More diabetes education is required. For NHS staff/health care professionals and patients alike.

Fruit isn't as good for you as you might think. There are good and bad choices when diabetic. A little grape i now class as a sugar BOMB. Natural sugars in fruit can still wreak havoc with blood sugars. Berries are best.

Sugar is addictive and buried within most of our food under over 50 different names....for a reason!

Big pharma companies and food industries are behind lots of research into what we should class as healthy.

Low carb way of eating works for me, it keeps me full for longer, but it's not for everyone

Being overweight is not good for your health it can lead to health issues including type 2 diabetes

You CAN change your life and better your health with a little determination and commitment and lots of support from friends and family

My diagnosis was a blessing in disguise, I've never felt healthier or as good about myself.

I love inspirational quotes! They help @karen8967 thank you - last line added this morning. ;-)

Happy Tuesday to all.
Amazing debs

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
5.3 today - very happy

Listen to your body

Happy Tuesday to all.

My goodness what an amazing transformation you look fab

Reactions: Shas3

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Indeed and yet no guarantees on the model’s prediction accuracy

Oh fellow number cruchie types I’m still on it..I think there is a lot of scope with imaginary numbers floating around in some vortex if we can have an imaginary number of imaginary numbers we’ll be closer to an answer

Reactions: HarryBeau and Shas3

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Daily log from a damp and grey monsoon season in The people’s republic of Yorkshire

So last night I went to a 16 birthday party therefore was offered / forced all the things in my NO list. Got to be honest the trade off between eating said delicacies and the taste isn’t one which I will contemplate very often.. on a positive bottomless tea or coffee :) I of course went with tea Another positive I was resplendent in 5.6 this
Morning. Have a nice if not rain filled day peeps

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve somehow missed the morning. Fbg was 6.0 thanks to way too much chocolate yesterday - it was Hotel Chocolate 100% cocoa stuff, but there are still limits ( which unfortunately I didn’t stick to)
Some lovely and very inspiring before and after shots her this morning. @Debandez and @Shas3 amazing.
@Krystyna23040 winter jumper for me too - there’s always a positive to any situation and as far as I’m concerned a cosy jumper is a thing of joy.
@gennepher I’m glad the Guinness seemed to help, whether psychological or physical doesn’t matter really.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 today - very happy

Listen to your body

Happy Tuesday to all.
Have I missed those 2 images in the past? Those combined with the sad story of your mum's travails with diabetes have given me a much better understanding of your position on LC. Amazing transformation but I would imagine you were just as warmhearted and on the side of the angels before.

Reactions: gennepher and Shas3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 this morning and the rain is gone. I got to watch the gibbous moon setting after midnight, so should have considered that the lovely sunset clouds were gone. Oh, well, sunshine is nice as long as it doesn't mean a return to high heat. 19 degrees outside right now; I should go out and enjoy it ... I really should ...

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We braved the cold and rain and did a 5 mile cliff path walk after breakfast. It just had to be done and we were wrapped up in our battered old Barbour jackets probably the most useful item for the rain and wind. Just had a warm bowl of veg soup and now settling down with our books. More fish on the menu tonight. Life is great.