T2s in 'remission' - what is your max carbs per day? Any complications?

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hi all,

So yep, for any T2s in remission, what are your average or max carbs eaten per day?

Also, at remission, have you been complication free? (from eye or nerve probs etc)

I'm currently in remission, as they call it, but ave between 40-100g carbs a day at most. I don't know if that's too high? I've been getting a stingy right eye and sometimes it's bloodshot. It could be tiredness. On that note, there are some days when I'm just so absolutely whacked, I have a little nap after work because I'm physically so tired - usually when commuting or after a long day. I don't know if this and the eye prob are normal, though? (I don't get any blurred vision and they checked my eyesight at diagnosis and all was good.)

I'm a smidge confused, but very interested in tips of how to manage this better to reduce any major complications.

Any advice much appreciated.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to stay under 40 gm per day - but I am really sensitive to carbs - always have been since early 20s.
That eye doesn't sound good - I think you should see your doctor as it might be an infection. It doesn't sound like anything to do with diabetes.
I have had a painful foot but I think it might have been gout.

Reactions: IronLioness

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Very much depends on your definition of Remission.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm currently in remission, as they call it, but ave between 40-100g carbs a day at most. I don't know if that's too high?

Surely the only way to tell this is to do blood tests to see? In your position (I'm T1 so remission is not a thing) I'd do occasional blood tests, particularly after the "high" carb meals, to check out whether they were impacting my levels....

But congrats on achieving remission in the first place.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

So yep, for any T2s in remission, what are your average or max carbs eaten per day?

Also, at remission, have you been complication free? (from eye or nerve probs etc)

I'm currently in remission, as they call it, but ave between 40-100g carbs a day at most. I don't know if that's too high? I've been getting a stingy right eye and sometimes it's bloodshot. It could be tiredness. On that note, there are some days when I'm just so absolutely whacked, I have a little nap after work because I'm physically so tired - usually when commuting or after a long day. I don't know if this and the eye prob are normal, though? (I don't get any blurred vision and they checked my eyesight at diagnosis and all was good.)

I'm a smidge confused, but very interested in tips of how to manage this better to reduce any major complications.

I use my blood sugar meter and test to make sure i stay in remission, as its easy to slip back into type 2 diabetes. I suggest seeing someone about your eye. How long have you been in remission and do you still get your annual eye checks?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@IronLioness I restrict carbs as much as I possibly can. As close to zero as possible (usually 5 -10g per day, definitely under 20g). Mainly because I feel so much better that way - more energy and generally feel healthier. Doesn’t take very many carbs at all for my sugars to start creeping up.

However, it’s not possible for anyone to say whether the eye symptoms or tiredness you mention would improve with a reduction in your carb intake. If you’re worried I’d advise getting checked out by your doctor.

As others have said, use of your meter to keep an eye on your sugar levels is the way to go.

M

Member496333

I don’t count in the typical sense but at a guess I’m rolling at probably 5g per day on average. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. All from dairy - cream, butter and cheese. I have no idea how much I could get away with if I tried, as I choose to abstain and I’m very happy and satisfied with my food choices as they are.

Reactions: ert and IronLioness

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

20 grams a day or less, no complications. Not knowing what your criteria are for remission; if your HbA1c is under 42, you shouldn't be experiencing complications. Maybe check bloods a little more often, you might be spiking if you're tired after a meal? As for your eyes, seeing your gp sounds like a plan. I have allergies and Sjögrens, so I use/need 2 different eyedrops which aren't T2 related at all.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to average between 80 to 120g carbs per day and have no complications. Re the stingy eye have that checked by your GP who will refer you to an ophthalmologist if necessary. Like @JoKalsbeek I have a couple of problems with my eyes which are non-diabetes related.

M

Member496333

if your HbA1c is under 42, you shouldn't be experiencing complications.

Not sure I agree with that entirely. On the whole you’re probably right, but it should be remembered that some complications materialise or worsen when the diabetes is reduced or eliminated. In particular, eyes and nerves. Especially if previously the patient had highly toxic glucose and insulin concentration for many years.

Of course that’s not to unduly alarm the OP! To be honest, at this time of year a stingy eye could be something as simple an allergy flaring up. Definitely worth getting it checked out though.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I tend to average between 80 to 120g carbs per day and have no complications. Re the stingy eye have that checked by your GP who will refer you to an ophthalmologist if necessary. Like @JoKalsbeek I have a couple of problems with my eyes which are non-diabetes related.
I like the sound of your type 2 remission control. Can you tell me what you eat daily as my son wants to do a lowish carb diet to lose weight he isn't type 2 or type 1. I'm also interested too because I try to keep my carbs down but struggle a lot recently and wonder if my diet is too restricted for me . Thanks .

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My carb level is between 30 - 50g per day along with Metformin. That keeps my HbA1c consistently mid 30s. @IronLioness your tiredness might be as a result of a higher than desired blood sugar. What are you finger prick tests showing, indeed do you self test at all? The only way I know my control is consistent is to test (not as often as I used to mind) to keep tabs on any trends.
With regards to your eye, I would get that checked out with you GP.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@IronLioness , my carb levels vary. I've been under 40 for 5 and a half y ears, and around 30 for the last 5 years. I had mild changes in one eye last year, which when checked by a recommended optomitrist (recommended by an Consultant Opthalmic Surgeon friend) about 2 weeks later were not to be seen. Whatever was seen was either a photographic artifact or had healed.

These days, I just watch what I eat, and ensure I don't push the metaphorical carb envelope. I don't test every meal, but test several times a week - especially after I have had some carbs, just to ensure my numbers aren't climbing in the background.

This is, I'm afraid, another of these areas where you have to deceide for yourself how you will live for the longer term and where your personal tolerances lie.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the sound of your type 2 remission control. Can you tell me what you eat daily as my son wants to do a lowish carb diet to lose weight he isn't type 2 or type 1. I'm also interested too because I try to keep my carbs down but struggle a lot recently and wonder if my diet is too restricted for me . Thanks .
@WackyJacky64 apologies for the late response. I tend to eat full fat Greek yoghurt, berries, eggs, meat, fish, veggies, salads, nuts, cheese, cream, potatoes - max of 3 small ones roasted, mashed or boiled, slice of high protein or low carb bread, mini rice cakes, protein or nut bars, occasional biscuit or cake inc fresh cream eclair and, if on offer and I really can’t resist, a custard doughnut :hungry::hungry:. When eating out I try to choose something low carb but if I cant I don’t worry too much about eating more carbs than usual - it’s a ‘one off’ and my BS seems to come down to normal levels reasonably quickly.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Surely the only way to tell this is to do blood tests to see? In your position (I'm T1 so remission is not a thing) I'd do occasional blood tests, particularly after the "high" carb meals, to check out whether they were impacting my levels....

But congrats on achieving remission in the first place.

I test my BG at regular intervals with foods, so I have a gauge of what foods spike and which don't. It was more a case of I wondered what other keep within, their parameters etc.

Reactions: EllieM

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I try to stay under 40 gm per day - but I am really sensitive to carbs - always have been since early 20s.
That eye doesn't sound good - I think you should see your doctor as it might be an infection. It doesn't sound like anything to do with diabetes.
I have had a painful foot but I think it might have been gout.

Thanks for this, I've just recalculated what I have and initially I was on 20-40g a day, I found it harder than now but I'm just thinking of long term adjustments, and I might decrease my current numbers.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I use my blood sugar meter and test to make sure i stay in remission, as its easy to slip back into type 2 diabetes. I suggest seeing someone about your eye. How long have you been in remission and do you still get your annual eye checks?

I test all the while and my remission number was 41, I've got another test due in a month. I've been in remission since Feb/March. I think I'll get my eyes checked when I go in again.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
@IronLioness I restrict carbs as much as I possibly can. As close to zero as possible (usually 5 -10g per day, definitely under 20g). Mainly because I feel so much better that way - more energy and generally feel healthier. Doesn’t take very many carbs at all for my sugars to start creeping up.

However, it’s not possible for anyone to say whether the eye symptoms or tiredness you mention would improve with a reduction in your carb intake. If you’re worried I’d advise getting checked out by your doctor.

As others have said, use of your meter to keep an eye on your sugar levels is the way to go.

5-10g per day, wowzah!!! Ok, can I get your advice on diet.... how do you do that? what do you eat? literally just protein or or or? so many questions, haha, sorry! Genuinely fascinated as I tried 20-30g a day at the start and that meant cutting vegetables out, which I found v v v v v hard. :-(

Advice appreciated. :)

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I don’t count in the typical sense but at a guess I’m rolling at probably 5g per day on average. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. All from dairy - cream, butter and cheese. I have no idea how much I could get away with if I tried, as I choose to abstain and I’m very happy and satisfied with my food choices as they are.

Jim can I get your advice, how the deuce do you do that? My carbs mainly come from vegetables at the moment, no fruit, just vegetables, but I'd struggle on 5g a day I think, although it'd probably be better for me. How on earth do you do it? do you eat veg? or just gone hardcore and cut then out? Sorry, lots of questions, just trying to work out what I can do long term to manage this.

Reactions: Peadair O Brionn