What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mrs T is fine now still a little bruised under the eyes where her glasses frame dug in a bit, and she should hear about the job early next week. The new police front counter is situated at the fire station which probably accounts for her eagerness to land the job.

Glad the mouth is ok.

She likes Dalmatians?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @SaskiaKC I thought of you today when we left Cornwall and drove across Dartmoor National Park. The famous wild Dartmoor ponies were trotting around and of all colours, black, brown, black and brown and one albino. We saw one tiny foal with its mum. Of course there were lots and lots of sheep and lambs and a 360 degree view of wonder.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You have battled a very clear and present danger alongside highly effective management of T2. Your support of, and kindness to, other members and good humour throughout shines through. You've nailed this stuff to the wall.

What a lovely thing to say! Thank you. It’s definitely a team effort on here though, and in terms of supporting others, there are so many who offer so much, you are most certainly high ranking amongst them.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also just played catch up on so many posts.

Fantastic stuff, @gennepher
Liking the meet up and journeys of our two tin miners, @PenguinMum @DJC3

and @Bubbsie ..."Pen & ink"...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
such evocative prose.

Hope the tooth is less painful, and your back to your old self asap, @ianpspurs
and sorry about your tree @HarrisonK

hope all else are well and working towards whatever goals they have set..:)

for me the FBG was 7 this am.
highest it's been for a long while.
worked late, late night beer (3 tiny, really tiny bottles) and some cheese dish with jalapenos.
looked good at bedtime..6.5..so mystery as to why this mornings was so high.

Liking the pointer about vit c..must look into that a tad more.
happily sitting with some b12, vit d each day..looks like another tablet to take might be in order
to see what effect it has on myself..

Live long & prosper, as spock used to say.:D

We did have a good time @jjraak and I’d be very happy to meet up with any of the gang on here who find themselves in Cornwall.
Talking of which I think it’s about time you had another holiday - your fbg levels were lower then I seem to remember, holidays obviously agree with you.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask a couple of questions?
I have researched larger doses of Vitamin C in the past for my other health issues.

I do have soluble 1,000mg Vitamin C tablets. But with all the shenanigans in my life last year and this year I forgot them, and they are in that tube at the back of the shelf (still in date, I just checked).

I hope these are not intrusive questions...I apologise in advance if they are....and you are free to ignore them...

*Do you take the vitamin C in soluble form or tablet/capsule form?
*Do you take the Vitamin C in one dose, or is it staggered through the day?

For your information I took 1,000mg of Vitamin C a day for my asthma, and I found it helped. But I broke the soluble tablet in 3 and staggered the dose throughout the day when I visited the bathroom, where I kept it. This was because I had read and was told to take 1,000mg in one go was wasting it because the body flushed the excess out. I took the soluble Vitamin C in water simply because it was making sure my fluid intake was up.

But as I said, I have forgotten to take it since early last year.

Thanking you in advance.

>^..^<
Gennepher - no they are not intrusive questions at all and I absolutely don't mind answering them. I am taking it in tablet form and I do agree that staggering the dose throughout the day seems to be the best way to take the Vitamin C rather than in one big dose. Although I must admit that I haven't staggered mine very well - taking 1000mg with breakfast, the same with my main meal and the 3rd one with a coffee.

I was worried about the body flushing the excess out and read this very interesting article by Patrick Holford https://www.patrickholford.com/blog/the-vitamin-c-pee-myth. He may be right - and I really hope he is because if not I am passing some really expensive wee.

Reactions: gennepher

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope all goes smoothly with the appointment gennepher...I remember our journeys to Holyhead (thankfully on the train) the start of our travel to Dublin...onto the ferry & as sick as a dog on the crossing.
Done that crossing almost every year of my life. Family from Dublin. The crossing can get very choppy. Passengers dropping like flies on more than one occasion!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Haven't been on board for some time. Last fbs was 8.1. It's 21/2 weeks since mum broke her hip and we are still visiting hospital c6 hours/ day. Mum has now recovered from her surgery and infection but her legs are permanently bent at the knees so she cannot walk and her Alzheimer's has progressed. She cannot understand where she is, why she is there and why she cannot go home. She is so anxious and needs constant reassurance and I am spoon feeding her with many of her main meals. The hospital have requested an assessment placement for mum to discover what happens next but as yet we haven't heard where or when. It is so hard leaving mum at the end of visiting time as she begs me to take her home. Sadly, unless there is great improvement, it is looking like she won't be able to go back home. :(We are taking each day as it comes and praying all goes well for mum. The only good thing at the moment is I've lost several lbs in weight due to the long walks to/ from and around the hospital. Every cloud-------. Best wishes to you all:)
Oh my word. Your poor mum.....hugs to you too as you are really going through the mill. So much on your plate. Not surprised you haven't been on the forum!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @SaskiaKC I thought of you today when we left Cornwall and drove across Dartmoor National Park. The famous wild Dartmoor ponies were trotting around and of all colours, black, brown, black and brown and one albino. We saw one tiny foal with its mum. Of course there were lots and lots of sheep and lambs and a 360 degree view of wonder.

That sounds lovely. Thank you for posting about it. :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 10.4 at 6am

Found a roof tile sliding down my roof yesterday, so text my usual roofer (but it’s 2 years since he last came), but no reply. He had iPhone before so message was in blue couple years ago, but now the message I sent is green, so either he’s changed his phone or not in business and someone else has his number.

So it’s research a new roofer who texts, but a lot are landline only for initial contact (landline no good with me being deaf, I need text).

I need a roofer today before that tile shifts any further. I have a ladder, but I cannot get up it any more or else I would bed it in with cement myself...

>^..^<
|===|
|===|
|===|

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad to have been of assistance @Krystyna23040 although for the life of me I can't think what I might have said to prompt you to examine your, obviously, exemplary records. Your readings are to be admired so your processes must be just right for you - great stuff young lady.
I think when you flagged up the run of good fasting blood sugars the question suddenly popped into my head - why are they so good at the moment. Which made me look back at my records.

Thank you for calling me 'a young lady' - I only wish I was.

Almost forgot to post fbs - it was 5.1 - so the run of good numbers continues.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen. Wonderful weather for the time of year isn't it?
A rather grumpy 7.2 climbed out of the meter, swore at me and me's then vanished in a puff of methane. I must get that meter looked at, but in my heart of hearts I am certain my pals chaos and mayhem have been at it.

Well folks I can honestly say that playing " Sound of Silence " on the keyboard at full volume at 1am is not very neighbourly or so some of my neighbours informed me.
Mrs J had a nice little surprise this morning, I woke her up playing " Early in the Morning " I thought it would be a nice start to the day for her....... apparently it wasn't.
Have you played the keyboard a long time Alf? We could do duets! Not quite the same when not in the same room though :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just in from an interesting chat with practice nurse.
Her: the Dapagliflozin has worked too well we are worried your BG is too low so we are going to halve the dose.
Me: I doubt it is the meds I would think it is the change to a Low carb diet
Her: What do you eat?
I explained what I had been eating and how much I had lost and all the other health benefits I had found and she asked if I had made it up myself!! I pointed her here and to DD website. She was amazed at the drop in BG in 3 months 78 to 38
I have got to take half strength Dapa for 3 months and then have another HbA1c. I didn't have the heart to tell her I stopped taking them about a month ago! Hopefully it will not rise too much over the next 3 months without the meds.

On your next appointment why not take this. Some stats I collated last year for a meeting. Just one A4 sheet of similar results. Low carb works so well for so.many
Hard to.believe DNs arent aware in today's day and age. Beggars belief! Well done bye the way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190215-064525_Word.jpg
    Screenshot_20190215-064525_Word.jpg
    713.7 KB · Views: 251

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I bet that cottage brought back some great memories, even though its current state was poor. Apart from the weather it sounds like you had a lovely day
We got a lot of weather in Plymouth today too - I wanted to show my daughter the Hoe and the Barbican but we got a bit too cold once we were wet so decided against walking too far.
Such shocking weather all over. Hard to believe it's June!

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally a dry morning! Not sure it will last though the clouds are very grey. 5.4 this morning. A stressful day ahead - A planning meeting for a Sunday school summer camp ( a week away with a dozen or so teenagers) The stress levels begin to build from here on in. I should be used to it by now this will be my 45th year but some of those were as a participant rather than a leader. It wouldn't be so bad if the government didn't keep adding red tape that we need to keep up to date with.
Take care

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
On your next appointment why not take this. Some stats I collated last year for a meeting. Just one A4 sheet of similar results. Low carb works so well for so.many
Hard to.believe DNs arent aware in today's day and age. Beggars belief! Well done bye the way.
Thank you @Debandez I am back there in 3 months so I will take it along. She seemed quite receptive just not that clued in.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - I find this T2D an endless puzzle - trying to work out what really works for me. Maybe (as my sister says) that I am a bit obsessive with my keto diet and record keeping but I find it endlessly fascinating that tiny tweaks to what I am doing can make a difference.