What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
thunderstorms for my birthday.
???? If so have a good one and to make things worse I played " happy birthday to you " during my practice session this morning, be grateful you didn't hear it, I played the chord of H## instead of the chord of Bb.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs after I read your comment last night I began to think about why are my fasting BS really low at the moment with no dawn phenomenon. They were 4.8 last night and 5 this morning.

Looked at my records which showed 3 things I changed at the same time:-
(1) Instead of aiming for 20g carbs and sometimes hitting 25g - I have absolutely kept to 18g
(2) Have lowered stress levels significantly with meditation
(3) Added 3000mg of vitamin C.

I was going to add that the first two would have helped - especially the meditation because I feel so relaxed now and cortisol levels must have dropped significantly which would have a big impact on blood sugars.. Although maybe the small drop in carbs wouldn't have done that much to fbs - but who know - it could be really important for me to stay under 20g carbs..

I was then going to add that the vitamin C would have had absolutely no impact on BS but thought I had better check that my assumption was 100% correct and came across an article on this website about some research on Vitamin C lowering post meal spikes by sugar by 36%.

I copied an extract from the article:-
'The findings indicate that vitamin C provides significant health benefit, but as the researchers say, the significance is that vitamin C is used as an "effective additional therapy", such as a healthy diet.

For many people, eating a real-food diet such as that recommended on our award-winning Low Carb Program can help people lose weight, reduce their blood glucose levels and even put type 2 diabetes into remission.'

So - very interesting reading and I completely agree that the mainstay of my fight against diabetes is keto/low carb but that there is still room to add additional therapies so I will be continuing with meditation and vitamin C.

May I ask a couple of questions?

I have researched larger doses of Vitamin C in the past for my other health issues.

I do have soluble 1,000mg Vitamin C tablets. But with all the shenanigans in my life last year and this year I forgot them, and they are in that tube at the back of the shelf (still in date, I just checked).

I hope these are not intrusive questions...I apologise in advance if they are....and you are free to ignore them...

*Do you take the vitamin C in soluble form or tablet/capsule form?
*Do you take the Vitamin C in one dose, or is it staggered through the day?

For your information I took 1,000mg of Vitamin C a day for my asthma, and I found it helped. But I broke the soluble tablet in 3 and staggered the dose throughout the day when I visited the bathroom, where I kept it. This was because I had read and was told to take 1,000mg in one go was wasting it because the body flushed the excess out. I took the soluble Vitamin C in water simply because it was making sure my fluid intake was up.

But as I said, I have forgotten to take it since early last year.

Thanking you in advance.

>^..^<

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
???? If so have a good one and to make things worse I played " happy birthday to you " during my practice session this morning, be grateful you didn't hear it, I played the chord of H## instead of the chord of BB.
Relax young sparrow me owl it's next week so plenty of time to youtube your tribute.

Reactions: gennepher

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen .

A 6.1 leaped out of the meter this morning, stuck two fingers up at me and promptly blew the fuse in the kettle.

My task for today is repair the kettle after driving a 6" nail through my meter, ok ok don't go on I know I should say 15cm or 150mm or 0.15m. Don't forget I am low on caffeine, old and grumpy.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Results from HbA1c today were 61 and I was told that was good, especially as it was 89 just 6 months ago. I don’t really know what that means. From reading here, it seems it could be lower, but I was told today that was a good number...

>^..^<

I read this and my first reading told my little brain that you reduced your HBa1c by 1/3 and it’s good as you were 89, 6 months ago. My little brain thought wow I’ve never thought Gennepher was 89. She does loads for someone her age....

Reactions: gennepher

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We started with rain this morning...it's stopped (for how long lord knows) & the sun is out...I might try & get 'plumpy' out for a walk before it starts again...the smell of wet dog is all pervading...if I can avoid it I will.
While browsing through a booklet in my room about hounds in Cornwall I came across an advert for the ultimate dog drying coat, practical and stylish solutions for wet dogs. If you want I can send a PM with the details. The blacklab in the pic looks very snug in his orange coat!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read this and my first reading told my little brain that you reduced your HBa1c by 1/3 and it’s good as you were 89, 6 months ago. My little brain thought wow I’ve never thought Gennepher was 89. She does loads for someone her age....

:)
I hope I can do all I do now at 89 years of age!!!!
But that is 19 years away...
I celebrate my 70th in a few weeks!!!!

>^..^<

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While browsing through a booklet in my room about hounds in Cornwall I came across an advert for the ultimate dog drying coat, practical and stylish solutions for wet dogs. If you want I can send a PM with the details. The blacklab in the pic looks very snug in his orange coat!
Absolutely yes please PM...much as I love Harry after a walk in the rain I'd rather sit out in the garden he does pen & ink...will watch out for the PM PM:D:D:D...thank you

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve just caught up with posts so from international bin day to frisky young things frolicking in gardens green, to 89 year olds with really full lives, to cats with their pawsies crossed to Cornwall adventures to monsoon season in Britain. Fortuitously not a mention about all things brexit..

So my morning lightened by your posts to my randometer. A 4.7 resplendent on the screen. Nice to be out of the 3’s

Today I’m venturing towards catching up with laundry as my garage laundry has been out of action for a week ... there are only 2 of us thankfully.

I wish you all a very merry Friday. Kim xx

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also just played catch up on so many posts.

Fantastic stuff, @gennepher
Liking the meet up and journeys of our two tin miners, @PenguinMum @DJC3

and @Bubbsie ..."Pen & ink"...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
such evocative prose.

Hope the tooth is less painful, and your back to your old self asap, @ianpspurs
and sorry about your tree @HarrisonK

hope all else are well and working towards whatever goals they have set..:)

for me the FBG was 7 this am.
highest it's been for a long while.
worked late, late night beer (3 tiny, really tiny bottles) and some cheese dish with jalapenos.
looked good at bedtime..6.5..so mystery as to why this mornings was so high.

Liking the pointer about vit c..must look into that a tad more.
happily sitting with some b12, vit d each day..looks like another tablet to take might be in order
to see what effect it has on myself..

Live long & prosper, as spock used to say.:D

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My little brain thought wow I’ve never thought Gennepher was 89.
Just hobbled back from a walk in the park & shopping with Harry...awful pain from my dodgy knee despite taking some co-codamol & using the strong ibuprofen gel...felt pretty miserable then I read your post...really laughing at your misunderstanding...its just the sort of thing I would & have done.:);):).

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I just read @jjraak 's post and at first glance was wondering what on earth pointers have to do with vit C ...

500_F_98519695_nKyHzQx8U7e7uaFLOP2wsz7keUuaWEOA.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is modern life, the concept that they (the manufacturer’s) think that we (the general public) need.

I go to the fabric mills (it is just up the road for me) and buy sheeting fabric off the roll or as offcuts, in order to get my flat sheets.

Actually my head just came up with an idea. You know the corners of the fitted sheet in the set, well undo them, get a square of fabric that matches your curtains or something, sew that in each corner, and you will have an individual designer duvet cover...saves money on buying two sets of sheets to make your duvet cover from the flat sheets in each pack...

Nah, too much work...cantankerous old lady is still on the prowl here...

>^..^<

Cool, thank you for the idea! I could certainly try that. It would certainly be a lighter-weight fabric than the cover I bought. If I do move I am not going to take my current huge heavy queen-size mattress and foundation that was given to me when I moved here nearly 7 years ago. I will order a smaller mattress and lay it on the floor. I can also get rid of the huge queen-size comforter and sheets that are a hassle to wash and dry -- may keep the comforter and trim and hem it ... then make a cover for it out of these huge sheets ... hmmm ... you are giving me some good ideas. :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 Wednesday
6.2 Thursday (late night supper including chocolate)
5.2 today

Been a busy week.

So I'm.waiting for some rendering to be done on my house. I look at the weather forecast incessantly. Throughout the day, thinking that the next time I check at least one of the days following will give me a glimmer of hope (and a ray of sunshine). Not to be. Not last week. Not this week and by the looks of it not next! I know the brits are a bit obsessed about the weather but I seem to have taken it to another level!!! Even my 2 year old granddaughter keeps saying 'rain rain go away come back another day'. She has heard me, SHOUTING IT AT THE TOP OF MY VOICE!!!

I hope you all have a lovely weekend. Hoping to catch up on.the thread soon. Missing so much!

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great attitude young sir. How is Mrs T and hopefully good news on the outcome of her recent interview.

Mrs T is fine now still a little bruised under the eyes where her glasses frame dug in a bit, and she should hear about the job early next week. The new police front counter is situated at the fire station which probably accounts for her eagerness to land the job.

Glad the mouth is ok.