What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are right - Norfolk isn't worse than anywhere else. Although - things are changing as the word gets out there that low carb can really help in the fight against diabetes.

I did hear something that really upset me yesterday. After a lovely woodland walk we were sitting in the sunshine outside a little cafe and started chatting to a lovely family who we often say hi to on the morning dog walk. We were tucking into delicious sandwiches and cakes (I hasten to add that I only had coffee) and I explained why I was only drinking coffee.

The husband started telling me about his father who had T2 and is now on insulin and was diagnosed recently with charcot foot in both feet. He went to the doctor 4 times with incredibly swollen and painful feet. The doctor told him it was fluid retention and he has to walk more.

The very worst advice he could have been given. He was a very active man and he started walking even more so he has now done so much damage to his feet that amputation has been mentioned. This has affected not just him but his whole family - everyone is understandably very upset as he was so active and is now finding it so hard to cope with this.

His doctor said that he was the first person in Norfolk who had ever had charcot foot. Could that really be true.

I must admit that the Panorama programme really brought it home to me what a horrible disease T2D is and that I need to work really hard to avoid amputations. [/QUOTE}
It is so sad that there are still people who do not know that we can avoid worst of the complications with LC.
What a sad story. Seems there may be a genetic link between CMT and T2. I had a few months of concern that I may have CMT but turned out after MRI scans that I have a gestational issue with my spine which has badly impacted calf muscles - unrelated to T2. I took Nordic walking lessons after research suggested that was helpful with CMT (there is quite a spectrum of seriousness) - quite interesting doing those at the height of last summer's heat. I agree lc may soften the impact of T2 for some of us and needs to be stressed more at dx.
@DJC3 sorry about lack of sleep and higher numbers. @PenguinMum good luck with the housework and the lower numbers will return but each reading is only a small snapshot of a very complex movie - don't sweat the small stuff. @dunelm the hassle of eating out or holidaying anywhere seems for me just outweighs any pleasure since eating lc but "you guys" seem much more daredevil than I - good on ya.

Last edited:

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breath - does testing every 15 minutes help?
I find that if my fasting reading is up then a small piece of cheese or a couple of nuts will help to bring it down. It gives your body something to do.
I usually don’t eat until noon but do eat to my meter reading - if high then just a bit of protein.
Maybe keep a food diary and test prior to and then 2 hours after eating.

Thanks

My fasting number at 6.3 is ok. Yes higher than ideal but better than recent numbers. However after breakfast and after lunch it has gone up quite a bit and coming down very slowly

Nothing very different in my meals though...

Maybe i need to walk more.... will increase tomorrow and see how it goes...

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hugs there seems to be a lot of higher than expected BG posted today. I understand how that feels like but I really wouldnt test every 15 mins. I guess you are at work but if you get a break can you have a brisk walk or go up and down stairs for 10 mins. Getting fretful wont help either. I have no magic answer other than that and stretch out the distance between feeds, no snacks. I hope you are not coming down with a lurgy. One thing is for sure BG doesnt stay the same (higher or lower) forever.

Thanks a lot... yes a good walk is in order!!! Must do it now...

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are right - Norfolk isn't worse than anywhere else. Although - things are changing as the word gets out there that low carb can really help in the fight against diabetes.

I did hear something that really upset me yesterday. After a lovely woodland walk we were sitting in the sunshine outside a little cafe and started chatting to a lovely family who we often say hi to on the morning dog walk. We were tucking into delicious sandwiches and cakes (I hasten to add that I only had coffee) and I explained why I was only drinking coffee.

The husband started telling me about his father who had T2 and is now on insulin and was diagnosed recently with charcot foot in both feet. He went to the doctor 4 times with incredibly swollen and painful feet. The doctor told him it was fluid retention and he has to walk more.

The very worst advice he could have been given. He was a very active man and he started walking even more so he has now done so much damage to his feet that amputation has been mentioned. This has affected not just him but his whole family - everyone is understandably very upset as he was so active and is now finding it so hard to cope with this.

His doctor said that he was the first person in Norfolk who had ever had charcot foot. Could that really be true.

I must admit that the Panorama programme really brought it home to me what a horrible disease T2D is and that I need to work really hard to avoid amputations.

It is so sad that there are still people who do not know that we can avoid worst of the complications with LC.

Cheers @Krystyna23040

I don't know how i missed that.

A disturbing watch, but reinforces that the 'Obsessive' monitoring :rolleyes:..is really just self preservation and a sensible precaution.

here is the youtube link if anyone else needed to catch up.
Panorama

Reactions: Krystyna23040

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i am stressed and testing almost every 15 minutes
emoji2359.png
Pointless testing every fifteen minutes Shas ...my waking numbers are up at the moment...in the 6's regularly...they do reduce throughout the day...it does happen sometimes without rhyme or reason...a while ago I would have had a melt down with those waking figures however I know I am doing as much as I can to keep my numbers down...so I'm more philosophical nowadays...be patient...don't panic & as @dunelm says...breathe...they will settle.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I must admit that the Panorama programme really brought it home to me what a horrible disease T2D is and that I need to work really hard to avoid amputations.

That is bad.
And it seems it can be avoided. But the medical profession do not give good advice. Nor do they help us in the early stages when we can do something to help ourselves.

I have always had peripheral neuropathy, and I have it in my feet and toes as well.

But since diabetes, and for some years before Diabetes was diagnosed, it got worse and I could barely walk. I can't feel my toes, especially if I stub something, yet they hurt anyway.

The diabetic nurse tells me I should exercise and walk more. But when I did, I had swollen feet and ankles, and was in agony. She, like the above, said it was fluid retention and gave me yet another tablet to take. And said I should walk more. But that made things worse. I didn't research this's the time, but I knew the advice they were giving me was wrong for me, and nothing I could explain could make them understand.

So, by trial and error, foot supports, and then paying for my own specially made more substantial foot supports helped. And I do wear hiking (ankle support) boots out of the house. And in the house I do a bit of on the feet stuff and then put my feet up for a bit. And alternate all day. I would love to stay on my feet and carry on a job through that I am doing, but my feet get worse and then it's absolute agony when I put them up or get in bed.

My feet don't heal easily...I have to be scrupulous every day with them, cleaning, creaming, checking for injuries. I may have a bleed because I knocked them on the way to the bathroom in the night. But I have no idea i have knocked my toes.

I do see the nhs podiatrist, and diabetic nurse etc. But they don't give any helpful advice even though I ask. They just stick that long pointy thing in my feet and ankles and toes which I cannot feel all over my feet and not in my toes..
But last time I went to the nhs podiatrist when she did an ultrasound scan on top my feet, she did say the blood flow was better than the previous time.

I can actually see the shape of my ankles now, doing things my way.

Your last sentence said that low carb helped with this. I didn't realise that.

>^..^<

Last edited:

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pointless testing every fifteen minutes Shas ...my waking numbers are up at the moment...in the 6's regularly...they do reduce throughout the day...it does happen sometimes without rhyme or reason...a while ago I would have had a melt down with those waking figures however I know I am doing as much as I can to keep my numbers down...so I'm more philosophical nowadays...be patient...don't panic & as @dunelm says...breathe...they will settle.

Thanks... generally after two hours i am 8 or lower and i am ok with that. Today after breakfast i was at 10.5 and came to 6 only after 4 hours of breakfast.... same after lunch which wasn’t too much carbs ... 9.5 at two hours and about 8 at close to 4 hours ... maybe because I stopped Onglyza (was having side effects) about 10 days ago.... will monitor a few days and decide on meeting with doctor

Thanks

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hugs there seems to be a lot of higher than expected BG posted today. I understand how that feels like but I really wouldnt test every 15 mins. I guess you are at work but if you get a break can you have a brisk walk or go up and down stairs for 10 mins. Getting fretful wont help either. I have no magic answer other than that and stretch out the distance between feeds, no snacks. I hope you are not coming down with a lurgy. One thing is for sure BG doesnt stay the same (higher or lower) forever.

while on the subject of exercise, i did read ( @Jim Lahey i believe led me too it,) that resistance training was best for using up the sugars/glucose to get lower numbers.

It was then that i upped my game to include more weights then running.

(i kind of see it as an alarm or call to arms for the sugar as the muscles scream out for energy.asap
which kind of makes sense, the muscles need energy, and the body responds. )

However the reason i post is that mentality, made me start taking one of the wife's resistance bands on holiday and now to work.
Found it a nice easy alternative to carrying large weights around, and looking like (more of ) a loon running on spot when i can't get out for a walk/etc.

Cheap as chips, flexible & easy to transport around.

Use mine like weight training, standing up, but have used it while sat watching TV, whiling away 10 minutes or so.
Might be worth considering, for one or two.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I woke up to 6.3 but after breakfast till now (two hours after lunch) i have been running high numbers ... close to 10... ... i am stressed and testing almost every 15 minutes
@Shas3 all the frequent testing will do right now is confirm you are running higher numbers and as if by magic you will stress, retest a little later and find exactly the same. You don't suddenly go from the progress we have all seen you make to wildly out of control. Maybe relax the testing for the rest of the day and start again tomorrow, relaxed and refreshed for the fight

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Shas3 all the frequent testing will do right now is confirm you are running higher numbers and as if by magic you will stress, retest a little later and find exactly the same. You don't suddenly go from the progress we have all seen you make to wildly out of control. Maybe relax the testing for the rest of the day and start again tomorrow, relaxed and refreshed for the fight.

Thanks Ian. I agree... i am stopping now and going for a long walk. Will only test after dinner (5 hours from now)... and will focus on walking, drinking (water! Tea maybe) and eating right.. thanks

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
while on the subject of exercise, i did read ( @Jim Lahey i believe led me too it,) that resistance training was best for using up the sugars/glucose to get lower numbers.

(i kind of see it as an alarm or call to arms for the sugar as the muscles scream out for energy.asap

However the reason i post is that mentality, made me start taking one of the wife's resistance bands on holiday and now to work.
Found it a nice easy alternative to carrying large weights around, and looking like (more of ) a loon running on spot when i can't get out for a walk/etc.

Use mine like weight training, standing up, but have used it while sat watching TV, whiling away 10 minutes or so.
Definitely seems to be part of the common ground between NHS recommendations for us oldies and research into more effective types of exercise for bg control. As you say, bands are cheap, not intrusive and very portable. Nice nudge for me to use my weights more frequently although lawn mowing several hours a week is classed as resistance.
@Shas3 That talk with the Dr seems a very good move sometime quite soon if only to save you from severe finger prickosis

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen.
Have to be brief today Mrs J has the bit between her fangs therefore 8.2 this morning. Not bad considering this weekend.
Must go. Have a great day.

Foot note been commissioned to write another volume of pet recipes along with road kill recipes , will be available in the new year from all good boksellers hehehehe

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen.
Have to be brief today Mrs J has the bit between her fangs therefore 8.2 this morning. Not bad considering this weekend.
Must go. Have a great day.

Foot note been commissioned to write another volume of pet recipes along with road kill recipes , will be available in the new year from all good boksellers hehehehe
Think the pet recipes trope may be a tad last year now alfred. The mood music now is all unite the nation - pet lovers as well. Maybe needs a fervent petxiteer like you to unify us.

Reactions: gennepher and Shas3

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Think the pet recipes trope may be a tad last year now alfred. The mood music now is all unite the nation - pet lovers as well. Maybe needs a fervent petxiteer like you to unify us.

Sorry no can do, don't do politics very well. As for politicians......divide and conquer they say.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have some of those bands hiding inside a shoe box with some velcroed wrist and ankle weights...maybe I should open the shoe box...

>^..^<

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Onglyza (was having side effects) about 10 days ago...
Shas I've never used Onglyza only metformin since diagnosis...I do know that when I reduced & then stopped taking the metformin it took a couple of weeks for the effect to show...possibly the same with your medication?...don't get too hung up about it...these issues can take a while to settle back down...as you say discuss it with your doctor...then you can make an educated choice whether to restart the meds or not.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your last sentence said that low carb helped with this. I didn't realise that.
I think it helps because of the lower blood sugars - especially after meals.

You are looking after your feet really well. Everything you are doing is absolutely right and you have put a lot of very intelligent thought into finding out what is best for your feet.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers @Krystyna23040

I don't know how i missed that.

A disturbing watch, but reinforces that the 'Obsessive' monitoring :rolleyes:..is really just self preservation and a sensible precaution.

here is the youtube link if anyone else needed to catch up.
Panorama
Thank you for posting this link. I found it an extremely disturbing watch but from the moment I watched it the LC/Keto became effortless. Everytime I was tempted by a sweet treat or any carbs the following thought would pop into my head - "what would I prefer - keep my feet or eat the cake'. Keeping feet always won. I think I ended up 'brainwashing ' myself because there is no way i will ever eat sugary or starchy carbs.

My husband watched it also and from that moment on supported me 109% - which is good as he is the chef and cooks most of our meals.

My auto correct has gone crazy today. When I typed in husband cooks most of our meals it suggested Labradors instead of meals. Even more disturbing than the Panorama programme.