What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a few days out of the loop so to catch up.
mon 6.6
tue 5.6
wed 6.0
today 6.1
trending up this week, i think because the previous week it was all mixed up travelling to wife's friends to baby sit cats and just eating what was available..(cheeky takeaways..poor me.;) )
this week trying to stabilise, before we head off to cyprus on sunday (belated 60th gift form missus..she can NOT resist a bargain whens she hunting flights etc .:hilarious: )

@johnpol , good luck finding the right way to deal with the eye op..:)

for all suffering the angst of higher numbers, i pray they lower to what you could consider acceptable, soonest.
and i suppose the silver clouded lining is you KNOW they are higher because you ARE monitoring and can take some active steps to lower, or at the worst explain away the high..(usually )

@SaskiaKC ,,GREAT news on the move..( now it's all the stress of what to buy to help furnish/decorate, etc..;) )

@ianpspurs , belated birthday greetings...good luck fighting off the hordes once they find out the leaving bash involves so MUCH free liquor.
( Though do like the idea of an easter egg hunt... so volunteers to house sit are numerous.
put me down as interested .:hilarious: )

on an added note the old bluetooth smart scales going well.
Just one mishap.
noticed i've been slacking in my weight loss and it's risen up a lb or two.
so been trying to make inroads and cut back/monitor better.

Of all the matrix's involved the Bone Mass and Viscireal fat have stayed constant as you'd expect i suppose.

Now bear in mind the language used while english i do believe is from a slightly chinesey english aspect, so COULD be over alarming......IF taken at face value.

Other day, was a bit 'Bunged' up toilet wise.:rolleyes:

but weighed myself as you do.
report came back that Visceral fat is up in whole number by ONE :wideyed: (no fractions or % with that baby)
...with advice to Go to Hospital (*DANGER DANGER)....:***::***:

Well luckily i kept a cool head, had breakfast and then 'used' loo..;)

weight dropped :hilarious:..and Visceral fat back to usual score, with a caution to move more .walk, sleep etc..result.

so all's good ..and as with meters, it gives me ample warning of rising / dropping scores so i can take action soonest.

*My wording not the smart scales.;)

Have a good day all.:happy:

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
for all suffering the angst of higher numbers, i pray they lower to what you could consider acceptable, soonest.
and i suppose the silver clouded lining is you KNOW they are higher because you ARE monitoring and can take some active steps to lower, or at the worst explain away the high..(usually )

:

That’s a really good way to look at it! Hadn’t thought of it before but actually it is a positive thing. Thank you.
I had 6.4 this morning which would no doubt have been a lot higher before monitoring days because my chocolate craving yesterday evening would have involved a whole lot more than a couple of squares Montezuma’s 10o%

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, @ianpspurs -- the memories you provoked were happy ones. I always enjoyed hearing Mama talk of her working life before she married Papa. She was a home economist and had many interesting jobs and got to travel a lot. The friend of hers whom I mentioned was from San Antonio (also in Texas) and they had quite a lot of adventures together. We always called that friend "Aunt." Hug to you for the memory, and in hopes that your whole birthday was happy and that you are feeling much better now. (( :) ))

I was in San Antonio in April (before it got too hot) - The Alamo was very interesting and the river walk spectacular.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, @jjraak .

Glad you got unbunged -- the KittenCat sends purrs of sympathy --

A friend of mine is planning to recuperate from surgery with some friends of hers in Florida and possibly move there to live; her friends are planning a possible move to Cyprus and she's not sure about that, so I will be really interested in anything you care to post about your birthday holiday there ... may I pass it on to my friend (preserving your anonymity of course) please? If not, no problem. I think I may extend an invitation to her to check out the small town I am planning to move to.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s a really good way to look at it! Hadn’t thought of it before but actually it is a positive thing. Thank you.
I had 6.4 this morning which would no doubt have been a lot higher before monitoring days because my chocolate craving yesterday evening would have involved a whole lot more than a couple of squares Montezuma’s 10o%
marked as funny..cos i agree on that last bit..:)

but agree in general.
if we weren't measuring.... where would THAT leaves us,
IF we just THOUGHT we was doing OK..?

if we just thought all was good and took NO notes of BG's, etc
then we'd just set sail off into the sunset, as i suspect many others sadly do, believing all is OK,
before running into a storm we...
COULD have
Should have
AND would have,
seen IF we were testing..:***:

Have a good day @DJC3

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone. It’s ladies day at Ascot. I’m not going; far too many dress code rules - dress length, straps - and on and on.

I just saw one of the nicest things I have ever seen at any race meet. The royal carriages had just arrived at the race course and the cameras were on them ... then the procession stopped, and while the TV commentators were asking each other what was going on, you could see the footmen getting down from the landaus to put the tops down. Apparently the rain had let up and the Queen likes to have the tops down so that the spectators can see her and the other passengers.

Just contrasting that with any US president, none of whom go racing at all, and if they did would arrive in a securely enclosed SUV. Maybe Washington went to the races sometimes ... I know he kept foxhounds so maybe it carried over to the track.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, @jjraak .

Glad you got unbunged -- the KittenCat sends purrs of sympathy --

(Note to Lauren of Arabia -- at least he isn't imitating the KittenCat, who has substituted our living room for her litter box for certain functions -- at least the easily-scooped-up ones!)

A friend of mine is planning to recuperate from surgery with some friends of hers in Florida and possibly move there to live; her friends are planning a possible move to Cyprus and she's not sure about that, so I will be really interested in anything you care to post about your birthday holiday there ... may I pass it on to my friend (preserving your anonymity of course) please? If not, no problem. I think I may extend an invitation to her to check out the small town I am planning to move to.

By all means please do, @SaskiaKC
our first time ever to cyprus, been to a few others of the greek isles, ( Rhodes, Corfu, Crete and my favourite, kefalonia)
so doubt it's too much different.
hoping to get a car and visit green line, if possible.

Does feel like i've been there already the amount of 'interesting ' post my Lauren of arabia has sent on to me to 'check ' out..:rolleyes:
fail to prepare = prepare to fail is NOT something i could EVER accuse her of when it comes to investigating a holiday destination.,..

she's part Poirot, miss marples AND sherlock holmes all rolled into one, once she gets on line..:hilarious:

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC is this mistaking where the toilet is a new thing with the KC? I would struggle with that practice. Cats are very clever and I wonder if she would react to a treat and a fuss everytime she goes in her tray and the cold shoulder when she doesnt. I am probably telling you what you already know so sorry if I am.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just saw one of the nicest things I have ever seen at any race meet. The royal carriages had just arrived at the race course and the cameras were on them ... then the procession stopped, and while the TV commentators were asking each other what was going on, you could see the footmen getting down from the landaus to put the tops down. Apparently the rain had let up and the Queen likes to have the tops down so that the spectators can see her and the other passengers.

Just contrasting that with any US president, none of whom go racing at all, and if they did would arrive in a securely enclosed SUV. Maybe Washington went to the races sometimes ... I know he kept foxhounds so maybe it carried over to the track.

I think sadly your history and ease, of what seems, from the europe side here.. as lax gun laws make that a sensible precaution, particular these days @SaskiaKC
( and even more depressingly, it would take major civil unrest to remove the guns from your society, so can't see it improving any time soon..:sorry: )

Not a royalist by any means but we could have done a lot worse then our current queen.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC is this mistaking where the toilet is a new thing with the KC? I would struggle with that practice. Cats are very clever and I wonder if she would react to a treat and a fuss everytime she goes in her tray and the cold shoulder when she doesnt. I am probably telling you what you already know so sorry if I am.

I did hear that a strong cleaner in soiled area.(tho do be careful, some are dangerous to cats) can help.
maybe a spray perfume MIGHT help ?

ours had a spell of 'marking ' one corner of the living room., when we were at work
tin foil in the spot; down for a few days put paid to that little trick

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By all means please do, @SaskiaKC
our first time ever to cyprus, been to a few others of the greek isles, ( Rhodes, Corfu, Crete and my favourite, kefalonia)
so doubt it's too much different.
hoping to get a car and visit green line, if possible.

Does feel like i've been there already the amount of 'interesting ' post my Lauren of arabia has sent on to me to 'check ' out..:rolleyes:
fail to prepare = prepare to fail is NOT something i could EVER accuse her of when it comes to investigating a holiday destination.,..

she's part Poirot, miss marples AND sherlock holmes all rolled into one, once she gets on line..:hilarious:

Oh, dear, @jjraak, I hope I didn't offend you, or Lauren of Arabia. I went back and deleted that italicized bit for fear of offending readers!

She sounds like me re: the Internet. The XSO Liverpool fan called me Queen of the Internet for all my research on his and my behalf. Often re: vacations. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think sadly your history and ease, of what seems, from the europe side here.. as lax gun laws make that a sensible precaution, particular these days @SaskiaKC
( and even more depressingly, it would take major civil unrest to remove the guns from your society, so can't see it improving any time soon..:sorry: )

Not a royalist by any means but we could have done a lot worse then our current queen.

I agree and one of the things I like best about her is that she is a horsewoman, and in that we are alike -- out with horses at every opportunity regardless of the weather or ground conditions. The XSO Liverpool fan, when we first were friends, once offered to take me to visit a local barn, "weather permitting" -- in February. I laughed and informed him that horsepeople don't wait for the weather's permission! :)

And I think the enclosed presidential vehicles started with the tragic killing of President Kennedy in an open car so long ago ... I think I have seen films of Franklin Roosevelt in an open car in parades and that was not all that many years before Kennedy.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That is bad.
And it seems it can be avoided. But the medical profession do not give good advice. Nor do they help us in the early stages when we can do something to help ourselves.

I have always had peripheral neuropathy, and I have it in my feet and toes as well.

But since diabetes, and for some years before Diabetes was diagnosed, it got worse and I could barely walk. I can't feel my toes, especially if I stub something, yet they hurt anyway.

The diabetic nurse tells me I should exercise and walk more. But when I did, I had swollen feet and ankles, and was in agony. She, like the above, said it was fluid retention and gave me yet another tablet to take. And said I should walk more. But that made things worse. I didn't research this's the time, but I knew the advice they were giving me was wrong for me, and nothing I could explain could make them understand.

So, by trial and error, foot supports, and then paying for my own specially made more substantial foot supports helped. And I do wear hiking (ankle support) boots out of the house. And in the house I do a bit of on the feet stuff and then put my feet up for a bit. And alternate all day. I would love to stay on my feet and carry on a job through that I am doing, but my feet get worse and then it's absolute agony when I put them up or get in bed.

My feet don't heal easily...I have to be scrupulous every day with them, cleaning, creaming, checking for injuries. I may have a bleed because I knocked them on the way to the bathroom in the night. But I have no idea i have knocked my toes.

I do see the nhs podiatrist, and diabetic nurse etc. But they don't give any helpful advice even though I ask. They just stick that long pointy thing in my feet and ankles and toes which I cannot feel all over my feet and not in my toes..
But last time I went to the nhs podiatrist when she did an ultrasound scan on top my feet, she did say the blood flow was better than the previous time.

I can actually see the shape of my ankles now, doing things my way.

Your last sentence said that low carb helped with this. I didn't realise that.

>^..^<
What an absolute nightmare for you. You aren't getting any help with this i can see. Low carb may help, a lot. Check out diet doctor website. Google videos on the subject. Jason fung is amazing. Dr Ken berry. Dr David unwin. The Diabetes Code by Fung is excellent.

Reactions: gennepher

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher the way
The way you have and are managing your health is admirable. It is just crazy that you were advised to do the opposite than what was actually required. It just proves to me once again that we all need to take control of our own welfare insofar as is possible. Well done you for persevering and making the improvements in your feet and being so vigilant. You really are a very inspiring lady the way you cope with all the challenges that come your way.
Here here @gennepher

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I think that our constitutional "right to bear arms" came from the days when we needed a militia before we had a standing army, and that, ever since, some people have translated that to mean you can have as many guns as you want, anything from a tiny pistol to an AKA rifle (whatever that even is). So yeah, when it was considered a "good" thing that every man could be called up for military duty at need and could provide his own weapon, I can understand that. But it is really all I can understand. And I wish the Quakers here had had more of a voice in Colonial affairs.

Back then I'd've probably been posting on the local underground that I needed a ride for my cat and myself to get to Canada! My mother was born there after all.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you. I was actually going to PM you and @Bubbsie and @gennepher to see if y'all had any suggestions.

I think she may have been doing this on rare occasions ever since we moved here. For the first year here I had two cats and I figured it was the older one (who was 18 at the time and not very well).

Your idea of a treat sounds good and I may try that. I usually try to stay out of the bathroom when I hear her scratching in the litter box, because although she is normally very good about it, she is easily upset by other things and I haven't wanted to walk in on her when she's in her litter box. But I may try the treats, be there waiting for her.

I thought of putting down a plastic bag in the corner she has used the last couple of times because she absolutely hates the rattle of plastic bags. But I think she must have a very good reason for picking the living room, and since she has had two spells of constipation recently I am just glad she's going anywhere.

I did spray some orange-scented Lysol disinfectant because cats don't like orange scent; then I put a layer of paper towels down to keep her from getting any spray on her paws.

Aluminum foil might work.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did hear that a strong cleaner in soiled area.(tho do be careful, some are dangerous to cats) can help.
maybe a spray perfume MIGHT help ?

ours had a spell of 'marking ' one corner of the living room., when we were at work
tin foil in the spot; down for a few days put paid to that little trick

Thank you. I may try some foil. She would not like the sound or feel of that under her feet.

I am just very glad she still tinkles in the litter box, as poop is so much easier to remove from the carpet.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you Married to @alf_Josiah ......:wideyed::***:

;)

Agree the post was a timely reminder of the reasons i started this Woe..and serve to keep me on track, in times to come, please god.:)
I watched it from your link. Very disturbing. Very sad. Poor people. And the NHS spending billions. If only they advocated low carb. Bill could be drastically reduced and many lives saved. Many complications avoided. At least give people the choice.