BBC Bulletproof Bias

SaladDaze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not yet tried bulletproof coffee. Mainly because my cholesterol was a bit over. Now it's normal with the aid of a minimal statin prescription, so I might experiment. Does anyone have a link to a good recipe/description of BPC?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not yet tried bulletproof coffee. Mainly because my cholesterol was a bit over. Now it's normal with the aid of a minimal statin prescription, so I might experiment. Does anyone have a link to a good recipe/description of BPC?
If you want the purest and most expensive version then you need to look up Dave Asprey however I wouldn't recommend his special coffee and all the"Special" additives which cost an arm and a leg.
Most simply make coffee and add a combo of butter, coconut oil, MCT oil in their preferred quantities.. personally like @Jim Lahey I just add double cream to my coffee which powers me until mid afternoon or dinner.
As for cholesterol and statins.. maybe have a read around a few other threads and you may be amazed...!

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I don't drink coffee any more *violins in the background* I have to make do with bullet proof low carb hot chocolate.

Such an ordeal ;)
It is a superb and fortifying drink. Fuels me for 5+ hours. And sooooo delicious.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting but I bake all my own bread - all it contains is flour (from a local mill when possible), water and a little bit of salt. I have a sourdough starter which contains all the yeast I need. I still consider this processed ... but then so is coffee and butter,
Husband has a breadmaking machine and bakes all his own bread. We bought it after seeing a programme on the Chorleywood industrial breadmaking process. He buys flour from a local flour mill. Have got used to the smell of bread cooking wafting up the stairs in the morning - when I first started keto I tried to stop him baking the bread but I am ok with it now.

I think this sort of bread is minimally processed but not quite as good for him as your sourdough bread.

Reactions: Kim Possible

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although whether they "should" or not is a matter for debate?
I am not debating anything. The poster said they dont eat bread. Assuming they are referring to type 2's, they are making an incorrect generalization. I will not, and do not debate on personal choices people make based on their own meter results and health situation.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
If you haven't patented this "Ancelitis", I'm afraid I will be using this from now on.
I really should patent it shouldn't I? But hey, all about the giving so use it to your hearts content!
Just realised what you meant.. brilliant!
Thank you thank you! I aim to please! Probably a worse illness in this generation than heart disease itself.

Reactions: WuTwo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I do eat bread these days - but it is not bread as most know it - it is either the Asda sourced brown bricks of 5 slices at 4 gm of carbs each, or the bread I make which has all sorts of seeds and low carb powders added to it to reduce the effects of the rather overwhelmed bread flour.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Reactions: Guzzler

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thank you for that....but still ewwwww lol :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Au contraire it is sumptuous and addictive. :)
Must be butter with sea salt, of course.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since I don't drink coffee any more *violins in the background* I have to make do with bullet proof low carb hot chocolate.

Such an ordeal ;)
It is a superb and fortifying drink. Fuels me for 5+ hours. And sooooo delicious.
Hi @Brunneria
Would you mind explaining how you make your low carb hot chocolate, please? I'd just love to try some ... ;)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

My version I call "Bullet Resistant Coffee" because it doesn't have the coconut oil.

Start with just over half a large cup of strong coffee.
Add a heaped (I do mean heaped) teaspoon of the best butter (I like sea salt in it, makes a very big difference to the taste).
Stir until the butter is disolved.
Top up with 100-150 ml of fresh double cream (not extra thick).
Stir.
Enjoy.

I can ride 30 miles or more on my push bike using just that for fuel.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Energize No worries! Hope you don’t mind, @LittleGreyCat ? I can move it to a Bulletproof chocolate thread if you like. :)

I make the hot choc the way my parents did pre-WWII.
Although my French friends taught me to enjoy guilt free hot choc at breakfast. ;)

Add heaped tsps of Cocoa powder into a mug (that’s pure cocoa, not one of the hot choc mixes) have tried many, including the expensive ones, but good ol’ Bourneville wins for flavour, to my palate. You will soon learn how much you need.
A dribble of water, and stir to a smooth paste
Add boiling water to half way up the cup
Add knob of salted butter, a jolt of coconut oil, or double cream
Blend til smooth. You can use a blender, a hand blender or (my fave) an aerolatte.
Top up with hot water.
Sweeten to taste. Or not.

All quantities are adjustable.

I use erythritol, and like approx 1 tsp eryth to 1 tsp cocoa. But the actual amounts are dependent on mug size.

The possibilities are endless:
Whole dark choc lumps instead of cocoa?
Cocoa butter instead of MCT oil?
Double cream and no need for a blender?
Whipped cream a la coffeeshop?
Drops of unsweetened mint essence? Caramel essence? Orange essence?
Cinnamon stick stirrer?
Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg spice blend?
Dash of rum?
As I say... endless possibilities

The best hot choc I ever tasted was a small side street cafe in Bruges, nearly 10 years ago.
They called it Montezuma’s Delight, and it was dairy free and heavily spiced. Thick enough to be gritty. Heaven.