What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hug for the bloody eye, does it hurt?
Thanks its much more comfortable today though I will probs continue painkillers just for today. I was more aware of pressure in yesterdays injection and it was quite disconcerting when you have blood from your eye dripping onto your cheek but it stopped and really it is what it is.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...work yesterday but home by early afternoon...had to dash out to work again last night...in Folkstone...left here at 10pm...got home this morning at 05:00...I was shattered & very hungry...tested on arriving home 7.1 despite not eating for almost ten hours ...sod it so I had toast and a KitKat...fell asleep on the sofa around 6am woke up just after 9am...tested now 6.3 so I guess my waking number is 6.3...I have warned my office not to disturb me for the next few hours...back to the sofa.

Viv19

5.7 for me - always happy to see a 5 even if it was probably due to the large brandy I had at bedtime.

@Cumberland you and Wispa make a great photo
@Viv19 I must have missed a post somewhere - did you injure your foot since you’ve been away or is it an old complaint? Sounds painful and that’s bound to reflect in your bg readings.
@gennepher still a great fbg and part of a very definite downward trend. Especially good after the stressful recent events.
@johnpol I want to see the ‘handsomest bulldog ever’ he sounds a real character. Love the sandal story. I lost my garden shoes this morning, forgot that Dennis has developed a shoe fetish - I’ll add a photo ( hopefully)
View attachment 33957

Dennis is beautiful. I might indulge in some dognapping. Where did you say you live?
Re ‘the foot’ - I’ve managed to hit a chair leg with my right foot (between little toe and rest of foot) three times in the same number of weeks. Exceedingly talented! Three was the lucky number because now it’s way worse than ever before.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That rings a bell with me Gennepher. For many years I used to overheat especially while eating or after eating and now I eat so little carbs I dont. That to me would suggest carbs cause inflammation in the body (of some anyway). I have become a firm believer of trusting your instincts and taking responsibility for your own health. Of course medical doctors have expert knowledge and that will always be needed but noone knows me better than me.

@PenguinMum
I completely agree with all you say.

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks its much more comfortable today though I will probs continue painkillers just for today. I was more aware of pressure in yesterdays injection and it was quite disconcerting when you have blood from your eye dripping onto your cheek but it stopped and really it is what it is.

More hugs for you @PenguinMum

>^..^<

Reactions: HarryBeau

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Harry has eaten one pair of Ugg boots...and is aiming to eat the old pair I often use as slippers...what's interesting is when he does steal shoes he always takes the pair...once I found the boots he demolished out on the lawn in the middle of winter frozen like some abstract ice sculpture.

Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Warning this posting will contain topics of an offensive nature to those of a sensitive nature and no tolerance of the absurd, please,please read no further, in fact do the sensible thing and block my postings on your news feed.

Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all have one foot on the ground.

An aggressive 9.6 slowly exited the meter snarled at me muttering expletives along with words like chicken sandwich at 1:45am.......I must get my meter looked at....by a psychiatrist.

I would like to thank all who wished me and me's well at yesterday's liver transplant review clinic ( I shall tag @ianpspurs ) I had the best results I have ever had in over 26 years of tests. People like to complain about the NHS but, I have nothing but praise.
Yes the advice given to diabetics appears to be wrong and the wrong people are giving that advice. I now just ignore these advice givers and when necessary explain in words of one syllable what I am doing and why I am ignoring what they say.

The wonderful thing about this web site and forum is the experiences posters are passing on to other diabetics.
Once again thanks folks.
Have a good day folks, I shall if Mrs J allows.

Viv19

Thank you
I understand.
LCHF is not the whole answer(I don't think any one strategy ever is), but it is a step, at least that diabetics can take, and then work from there. It has lowered my blood glucose readings. But I need to work/adapt/something on it better to attempt to get more 'normal' blood sugar readings.
I research, have done online courses, research old stuff and new stuff, make notes (I am not a spreadsheet or analytical person, but I could go there if I thought that was my answer).

Something, in my opinion, has to be a better answer on so called 'normal' eating for anyone.

I am doing a form of intermittent fasting, which is just eating from dawn or when I get up until about midday, usually about a 6 hour window unless I am out for the entire day. But I have other health problems, including GERD and a hiatus hernia which makes fasting hard for me, I get terrible heartburn. I cannot fast for a longer period because of that. Although I would like to because I feel better and 'cleaner' by not eating.

I do have meds for the GERD and hiatus hernia, but for some reason a mistake by the surgery was made on the repeat prescription and they were not prescribed this time (I didn't realise until I looked in the prescription bag when they ran out), so I went to the surgery, but it is run by the nhs now, as the doctors left under a cloud, and it has been a mess. So they said I had to wait the usual 4 or 5 days for the repeat prescription. This was last Thursday and supposedly I can pick it up today possibly. And the weekend was in the way.

I did argue it was their fault, but nothing. So I have been without my PPI med for nearly a week now. I have been on this since 2004, and on researching it, it looks like it is meant for 3 to 6 months maximum, not 15years.

Yes, I could have gone a lot further in complaining, but I had already been tentatively researching how to come off it, and other strategies. And some research I found, suggested a link with diabetes, which concerned me a lot.

I had forgotten how bad the pain was, but I used my strategies, and hopefully it will be possible to manage without that med.

I don't know how much that med could have caused/impacted on my diabetes.

I had been told by the dietician (a different one in 2004), that I needed to have those carbs and processed carbs for my health and well being, and so I needed to take the PPI. So obviously I followed medical advice of 2004.

I can't help but wonder if taking that med caused my diabetes. And the overload of carbs I had been advised to take. I told them then that taking those carbs for one meal heated my body, but they insisted I was wrong and that had nothing to do with it.

We all have different health problems, different life histories, and pop genetics in that mix as well, and this is a very individual journey for all of us, diabetic or not.

But I do think we have to listen very closely to our own bodies. We have lost that knack for lots of reasons.

A little story (sorry my posts are long ones, but once I write, I write). My young son had growing pains in the early 1980's, he was in tears, it hurt him badly. I took him to doc. Doc said get on with it, all children have growing pains he said. We get back home. I feel for my son, because I was told the same thing as a child, to shut up and put up, no compassion, nothing.

So, I listen to my son. He is only a child but he cannot take any more of this pain. He is crying with it. I didn't know anything, but a mother's intuition told me he needed more water. I only had a 2 litre bottle which had held pop. So we filled the pop bottle with water. And I told him to keep drinking from it during the day.

That was his answer. The growing pains went away. And he was never without his bottle of water(a smaller bottle by now), all through his childhood. Even at school. And even in adulthood he always had a bottle of water in one hand (and his phone in the other...). He has never drunk pop since that day when we were sitting on the stairs together trying to work out how I could help him.

We need to listen to our own bodies, but it has been drummed out of us to be that sensitive.

>^..^<

Re your concern about taking the PPI. I need it too and was wondering about long term side effects. My brother has told me several times that the dangers of acid reflux changing the cell structure (I think of the oesophagus) was more serious than any side effects that may be caused by the medication itself. He’s a clinical pharmacist/university lecturer- my go-to person to double check things when we were in less reliable countries.
Can you take some over the counter rennies or similar until you can have your prescription filled? It’s only a short time so you can probably eat lots of them.
My GP recently said that because I’m no longer eating carbs (which she supports and is very positive about) that that is the reason the acid level is worse now as the carbs partly neutralise it.

Reactions: alf_Josiah

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Warning this posting will contain topics of an offensive nature to those of a sensitive nature and no tolerance of the absurd, please,please read no further, in fact do the sensible thing and block my postings on your news feed.

An aggressive 9.6 slowly exited the meter snarled at me muttering expletives along with words like chicken sandwich at 1:45am.......I must get my meter looked at....by a psychiatrist.

I would like to thank all who wished me and me's well at yesterday's liver transplant review clinic ( I shall tag @ianpspurs ) I had the best results I have ever had in over 26 years of tests. People like to complain about the NHS but, I have nothing but praise.
Yes the advice given to diabetics appears to be wrong and the wrong people are giving that advice. I now just ignore these advice givers and when necessary explain in words of one syllable what I am doing and why I am ignoring what they say.

The wonderful thing about this web site and forum is the experiences posters are passing on to other diabetics.
Once again thanks folks.
Fantastic news about your results @alf_Josiah and 26 years of well lived life is an amazing gift. Mrs J clearly looks after your good self remarkably well. Pass on my felicitations and congratulations along with my sympathies for her undoubted tribulations.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Once again thanks folks.
Great news alfs

Viv19

Here is the panorama one
On you tube
>^..^<

And I also watched this on You Tube from parts 1 to 5
But you can miss part 4
Parts 1,2,3, and 5 are the complete sad story of one person...

>^..^<

Thank you gennepher. That’s very helpful. I’ll look on my laptop when we get home again.

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re your concern about taking the PPI. I need it too and was wondering about long term side effects. My brother has told me several times that the dangers of acid reflux changing the cell structure (I think of the oesophagus) was more serious than any side effects that may be caused by the medication itself. He’s a clinical pharmacist/university lecturer- my go-to person to double check things when we were in less reliable countries.
Can you take some over the counter rennies or similar until you can have your prescription filled? It’s only a short time so you can probably eat lots of them.
My GP recently said that because I’m no longer eating carbs (which she supports and is very positive about) that that is the reason the acid level is worse now as the carbs partly neutralise it.

Hi @Viv19
I note what you have just said.
So I have done a bit more research, but I am still finding that 3 months is the recommended time to be on it, or max 6 months.
I have been on it for 15 years now and so this concerns me a lot.
I have had heartburn problems etc since before1980's and doc gave me pink medicine back then.
I had an endoscopy early 2000's which revealed a hiatus hernia, GERD, and problems with my esophagus. I cannot swallow very well, and I have to be careful. I have also seen a speech and language therapist (it's not for actual speech and language but throat problems), last year because of swallowing problems. I ended up on another med.

My father and brother both had same swallowing problems etc. Presumably this is something in the genes? My Grandfather had cancer of the throat, and I still recall that eating away at his face and throat in his 70's. But, apparently, he was diagnosed with that cancer in his 20’s.

Thanks but Rennies is no help. I bought something more powerful from the chemist to tide me over while I think, research, and consider what I want to do.

I would like to find a more 'natural' way to approach this, if it is at all possible.

Your brother is a very useful double check go-to-person, and probably saved your bacon a few times.

DISCLAIMER: the above is my own personal journey and NOT any advice to anyone. I would also like to emphasise the medicines and medical procedures have their valuable place.
Bear in mind I am a cantankerous old lady who will be 70 years old in a week today.
>^..^<

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau and Viv19

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cyprus day 3.
FBG this am ..6.1.
Delighted with that

Decided we'd risk the scooter..(win :D)
So as today will be alcohol free for me. yesterday I made the most of enjoying the liquid entertainment, as we had a slow leisurely trawl of the neighbourhood, alighted at a delightful taverna, up a side street, and definitely more about the food then the "scenic view".
Went with owners recommendations, delicious..sheftalia, Lauren tells me.
And several glasses of the refreshing local lager KEO.

No other tourist, just locals, who we got chatting to over our lunch..lovely, lovely moment.
Gent bought us some frozen melon to try, owner gave us free cakes and free drinks after the meal....loving Cyprus.

A few beers on the harbour on route back to shower and change .(never made it..:***:)

Side tracked at cider bar, as you do.

Then off out with new friends into bar with blues brothers tribute band n 80's music nite....
Ended up a little piddled, but had nice dance with missus. (didn't matter we were the only ones.:singing:.what's wrong with people, music means you show your enjoyment by dancing. :D)..so a lovely day, a great evening and while it gave me a hangover
It's also given a decentish fbg...(.thank you alcohol gods..:) )

@PenguinMum ..sounds rather unpleasant, but liking your no nonsense approach to it.
Get better, soonest.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6 even for me this morning.

@gennepher I feel for you about the hiatal hernia. I was diagnosed with one 30-odd years ago. It flares up out of nowhere sometimes but is normally much better now that I am retired from work and don't have that every-day stress. It seems to flare up now when I am stressed about things, except when it doesn't and just flares up for no reason that I can think of. And sometimes it comes from an unexpected food item.

My dad had trouble swallowing when he got older and had a procedure done that I think is called a balloon angio-something?

It's weird that my hiatal hernia is not bothering me much right now, as I am horribly stressed by this prospective move, and indecision, and by the problems one of my oldest friends is having.

Hugs to you, and purrs from the KittenCat to Popeye. ^. .^