What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best of luck today

I am sure everything will go smoothly and s great time will be had by all.

But just in case have the phone numbers for a few pizza delivery places close at hand.

Regards

Pavlos
5.8 this morning and I am praying for rain. It worked yesterday although the trial run of the bar-b was still enforced later, and it was a disaster. Getting the coals up to an operational temp took forever and then the cooking time for a simple chicken kebab and sausage was laughable, literally. At least we saw the funny side of it, I'm not sure the guests today will.

So, rain dance it is :)

I did ask a friend in Australia but all she had to say was "I bet you think all Chinese do kungfu" ;)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5,4 for me this Sunday morning as I do my best to stay good in what I eat; not always easy when on holiday and eating out all the time.

I think this is the first photo of me genuinely smiling for a while.

My wife and I must have been just about the only two people in London not aware that yesterday there was a huge Gay Pride parade taking place in London.

We were sitting in the foyer of our hotel, when out of the lifts walk a number of parade participants in full regalia: men in high heels, leather hotpants, makeup etc.

The expression on my wife's face was something to behold.

Have a great day!View attachment 34148
Very shiny, happy person. Good to see a relaxed man on holiday.

Reactions: Shas3 and pavlosn

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Another 5.3 for me so happy on my last day being 60!
BBQ later with son’s GF joining us but have some work to donthis morning.
@DJC3 the Carnival marching sounds fantastic and I bet your grandaughters were delighted you were at the front. lovely memories made.@HarrisonK dont know if you had enough coals? We buy the pack that contains 4 ready to light parcels and use 2 or 3 depending on quantity to cook. Good luck with it all and keep a friend with an umbrella nearby. @ianpspurs glad you are improving and hope you can find something suitable to view on the box and eat some strawberries. @Debandez I empathise about the dryer in the garage. Mine recently died after 28 years faithful service, bought when my first son was born. I couldnt tell you what my other white goods were over the years but that old Creda was a faithful friend.
I loved the galloping Miranda clip and I think it could catch on both for exercise and easing of mind. Its just fun. I cant do heights either, those things at the funfair terrify me just watching. @pavlosn sounds like you are having a great time, I bet the Gay Pride march was quite amazing to watch.
Off for first tea of the day. Have a great Sunday. Stay well, stay safe.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 today. I survived my afternoon in the field yesterday after the rain stopped. We didn't lose any and only 3 cried because they didn't win or it wasn't their turn. Butties Biscuits Fruit and lots of sweets consumed. No accidents or emergencies so all in all a good day.
There is only 3 weeks until summer camp so that was the practice run!
Take care

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 today. I survived my afternoon in the field yesterday after the rain stopped. We didn't lose any and only 3 cried because they didn't win or it wasn't their turn. Butties Biscuits Fruit and lots of sweets consumed. No accidents or emergencies so all in all a good day.
There is only 3 weeks until summer camp so that was the practice run!
Take care
What a fantastic thing to have done and the camp will be another wonderful act of love. Good fbg for you but a reminder that there are some eternal verities not covered by the lchf manual.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my granddaughter at the top of Blackpool Tower in May this year. No fear!!! I couldn't watch!!! Heart in mouth!!!
I found it really scary just looking at the picture. Many years ago I went to the top of the CN tower in Toronto. Small children were standing on the glass floor - absolutely fearless. I was absolutely petrified just watching them.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 this morning - very pleased with that because I had a manic day at work and I ate really late. Also I had more carbs that usual as I suddenly decided to eat a 25g bar of Moser Roth 85% - even though I had already had 50g of Greek yoghurt.

Haven't had dark chocolate for ages -:it was so nice, actually it was really delicious so am having a piece again today - but instead of the yoghurt not as well as the yoghurt.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...had a great sleep last night after an evening with the tennis & killing Eve...the paperwork stayed untouched procrastination is one of my major attributes at the moment...I'm (supposedly)off to collect a captains chair that I want for the study and I'm thinking it's Sunday the sun is out & more coffee in the garden watching the birds feed sounds preferable...no I need to get organised...I am about to get dressed & get off down that motorway before I change my mind...woke to a 6.8.

Last edited:

MisplacedIdentity

One day a couple of years ago I was walking down one of the long corridors in my apartment building, feeling so energetic that I decided to try cantering, the way I used to love doing when I was a kid (and young adult). I took two strides, caught my foot on the carpet, and nearly fell flat on my face.

But I didn't feel silly. And I keep wanting to try it again.

I am 66, BTW. :)
Disappointed as the trampoline park had closed down so I had fun in the sea instead :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fear of heights is an odd thing, something I have myself. In the late 90s I was flying up to Carlisle with a friend and they asked if we could see Blackpool Tower. I asked Liverpool Control if I could take a detour and was given permission to do one circuit at 3,000 ft around the tower and fun park this Google image at 3000 ft looks about right).

View attachment 34149

Afterwards we landed at the local airfield and went to the Tower by taxi. I couldn't go up it and had to wait for my friend. I did know a lot of pilots (some were commercial) who had vertigo.

That's incredible! And reminds me of another story! I'm from a big Irish family. Mum from Dublin. She often flew home from Blackpool. Usually on very small planes. On one said trip she almost turned back before boarding. The plane was so small. She had to step on the wing to get in, that sort of small!!! She hated flying but had to be brave as the passenger next to her was depending on her strength of character, clinging to her nervously and repetitively saying 'we will be ok wont we'. She didnt dare bring out her rosary beads!!! . They took off. And when they were up the captain turned around, he had a box of biscuits and a flask of coffee he offered to all 6 passengers! He also got out his map! My mum wasnt one to exaggerate!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the helpful suggestion @gennepher. The provenance and quality of food is obviously important as your cousin knew. Sorry to hear about your previous reaction to meat but seems as though things have now improved. My menu cogitations have been ongoing for over a year now. As currently formulated by me this woe doesn't control bg very well and regularly "flattens" me. Last A1c very disappointing but no big problem. Other people have bigger problems and I'm sure if I try hard enough I can make something work. It worked a little better for 3 years and so many others thrive on this woe.

I don't like the use of the phrase "if I try hard enough I can make something work"
It's almost like you are beating yourself up. That is just my personal feeling. I wanted to reply to this yesterday, but I didn't have the words. I hope I am not speaking out of order.

Other people don't come into this. A problem is just the same whether it is a massive one or a so called little one. It can feel the same to the person.

I would like to call your eating journey an exploration, a exciting journey of discovery. There are many twists and turns in a journey. A journey can be going great, but then there is an unexpected hiccup or blocking of the way. So then you backtrack, look for a new way round, even walking upstream (which to continue the journey analogy can be an exciting way to reach one of your destinations).

I can tell you are always researching, maybe looking for answers. But I am not sure it is straightforward as that. I am now talking about other things in my life as well, not just diabetes, and it seems to me that there are always twists and turns. And no one way works forever,. Some may work a short time, and others may work longer. Then something changes (for diabetes it's something in our body for whatever reason, for the journey I now have a tree blocking my path and a fast flowing stream besides it).

I've completely despaired before now, and literally thrown in the towel. And gone off the rails a bit. Especially trying to work with that stupid dietician last year. It just felt hopeless.

I hope I haven't spoken out of turn here. And I apologise if I have.

I was looking for a proverb my partner used to say, but I am sad because I have forgotten it. It is about a bird always singing even if she is freezing on the branch.

But I found this one just now, and I think I like it...

“Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings.”
Novelist and dramatis Victor Hugo

>^..^<

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like the use of the phrase "if I try hard enough I can make something work"
It's almost like you are beating yourself up. That is just my personal feeling. I wanted to reply to this yesterday, but I didn't have the words. I hope I am not speaking out of order.

Other people don't come into this. A problem is just the same whether it is a massive one or a so called little one. It can feel the same to the person.

I would like to call your eating journey an exploration, a exciting journey of discovery. There are many twists and turns in a journey. A journey can be going great, but then there is an unexpected hiccup or blocking of the way. So then you backtrack, look for a new way round, even walking upstream (which to continue the journey analogy can be an exciting way to reach one of your destinations).

I can tell you are always researching, maybe looking for answers. But I am not sure it is straightforward as that. I am now talking about other things in my life as well, not just diabetes, and it seems to me that there are always twists and turns. And no one way works forever,. Some may work a short time, and others may work longer. Then something changes (for diabetes it's something in our body for whatever reason, for the journey I now have a tree blocking my path and a fast flowing stream besides it).

I've completely despaired before now, and literally thrown in the towel. And gone off the rails a bit. Especially trying to work with that stupid dietician last year. It just felt hopeless.

I hope I haven't spoken out of turn here. And I apologise if I have.

I was looking for a proverb my partner used to say, but I am sad because I have forgotten it. It is about a bird always singing even if she is freezing on the branch.

But I found this one just now, and I think I like it...

“Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings.”
Novelist and dramatis Victor Hugo

>^..^<
@gennepher Thanks for the reply and you are not really speaking out of order. However, whilst I may advise others to chill out I am just not made that way ( I would need a performance indicator of chilling out to strive for) . The infamous inch by inch speech from Any Given Sunday sums up my default setting. I think I am aware of the danger of trying too hard from other areas of life, notably sport. I deliberately carried out minimal testing and analysis in the last 6 months to break "scoreboard pressure". The comparative benefits of wellness and wellbeing interest me greatly and for me controlling diabetes may have improved my wellness at the expense of my wellbeing. I don't cope well with detours or backwards steps but I appreciate the concern. If it explains me at all I am so much more chilled than my dad was. The Victor Hugo quote was very thoughtful.

Last edited:
Reactions: geefull and Viv19