Not open for further replies.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband who is/was a type 2, his A1C is now 6.2% does fine on a vegetarian diet. When he was first diagnosed he had an 8.4% A1C He does take metformin which seemed to solve most of his issues. Some people can't take metformin. But he added a salad everyday and a bowl of veggies with seitan/tofu that I make most days. A lot more veggies added into his diet. He still sneaks in some junk food, which is probably why he will stay on metformin.

With all the fake meats out there now, even in the regular supermarket it is easy to get protein. Morning Star, Gardein, Beyond Meat to name a few. Yves bacon is 5 grams per slice, Tofurky is 5 grams per 3 thin slices. A half can of beans is 20 grams, tofu container, 20 grams. I add seitan, tofu, tempah or beans to most of my veggies. Plus if it's only protein you are worried about, a protein shake is a easy way to add protein. A scoop of either, soy, pea or rice protein is 20 grams. You can make a shake yourself or buy a low carb mix. I say low carb because you really have to watch the sugars in some of them, generally they aren't bad at 10-15 carbs, but you can also get 1 or 2 carb ones easily. Your body can't utilize much over 25-35 grams of protein at a given time. The higher amounts are usually only required when you are doing intense weight lifting etc, then your protein needs would go up.

I am a type 1 vegan and doing very well, I have been a vegetarian for over 50 years now and a vegan for over 30, way before I developed type 1. My last A1C was 6%. It was sitting at 6.4% for years and I was happy with that too. I have many days of 100% in range and I have been told I am the best controlled type 1 at my doctors and diabetic nutritionists office. It's a great way to control blood sugars as long as it's a "healthy" vegetarian/vegan diet and for a type 1 that means you also dose appropriately..

Was this to Sapien, or in general? Sapien has started a dedicate thread, if that's relevant.

Any Mod can move your post if necessary.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Been trying hard to put this into words. The dairy is scary thing shocked me. The woman shocked me. Yes there are things in the world that make me cry - starving babies, children being raped and forced to marry at age 12, FGM, the list goes on...but artificial insemination of cows..please..really? Is that supposed to fill me with horror? Sorry it just doesn't.

You do know the male calfs are all slaughtered shortly after birth, or else are crated immediaely, deliberately fed a diet that will cause anemia and then killed for veal? Oh and they live in crates that don't permit movement to prevent muscle growth..... we want them nice and tender.

Female adults are usually killed after 5 or 6 years because they can't have any more calfs. (and therefore won't produce milk for humans). The normal cow's lifespan is 20 to 21 years. She was forced into pregnancy within days of giving birth, time after time until she couldn't get pregnant any more. And never ever permitted to keep one of those babies .....

I don't believe this meat can be good for people. How could it be?

And yes, humans treat each other dreadfully but is that any reason for treating the least able to defend themselves with such a terrible lack of compassion?

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, i do know all of that. It's not all true though. For example, if all males are killed shortly after birth how come we have adult males left for beef? Would you really want a countryside with no animals grazing? How cruel is that to even deny them a life? And cows have calves for longer than 6 years. You really shouldn't believe everything you read. The biggest mistake is to put human emotions in to animals. 'She is never permitted to keep one of those babies' I am not saying animals don't feel but I am much more concerned with our treatment of our fellow man.

Anyhow this thread is about using diet to heal ourselves. One of the comments I read on the farcical scary dairy site said that if someone eats meat then they should pay for their own medical bills and not rely on the NHS! What if someone gets sick because they haven't eaten meat? It works both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Isn’t low carb also helpful for type 1 to keep stable blood sugar? e.g. Dr Bernstein’s law of small numbers. Matching insulin bolus with food eaten has more room for error the higher the carbs.

Any advice from type2 (or type1) as to how to maximize protein while keeping carbs and blood sugar spikes low?

Depends on what 'is low carb' as many have different views.
' Reduced carbs' is the term I prefer.

Reactions: LooperCat

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Beef cattle are raised for beef and bred genetically for beef yield. Dairy cows are bred - genetically - for milk yield. Big difference.

The thread has degenerated into the expected pile on. Many thanks :rolleyes:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I think the easiest way out of this is simply to put the entire clique on ignore, and so I have.

Save a lot of angst, and if they can't irritate and annoy people maybe they'll stop?

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Beef cattle are raised for beef and bred genetically for beef yield. Dairy cows are bred - genetically - for milk yield. Big difference.

The thread has degenerated into the expected pile on. Many thanks :rolleyes:

Sadly it has and not for the first time.
Maybe vegetarians will have to find some where else to post about diet/lifestyle because they flipping well cant on a Vegetarian section on this site !! :mad:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thread is supposed to be about the role of diet in modern medicine. Surely then all diets need to be discussed? We can't just assume that a vegan diet is the healthiest just because it suits some and because a newbie intent on causing trouble has put it on the vegetarian section.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Sadly it has and not for the first time.
Maybe vegetarians will have to find some where else to post about diet/lifestyle because they flipping well cant on a Vegetarian section on this site !! :mad:

I could not agree more, and the only reason I still post in it is because occasionally new veggies arrive looking for advice and I want them to be able to receive it.

Certainly it's difficult to use it as a veggie forum, and I notice there aren't exactly many of us left who do....

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Any further posts which ridicule other people's dietary choices will be deleted, signing up to this forum means you have understood the rules about respecting each other's opinions and choices, so please think carefully before you post.

Reactions: WuTwo and LooperCat

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read this thread because I am interested in what a vegan diet could do for me. I am not interested in the animal welfare arguments, just about what it says in the title, the role of diet in modern medicine, eg how it could help me. Sadly I haven't learnt anything here. I have found the spin off thread about low carb vegetarian/vegan ideas to be helpful. Thank you.

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@DCUKMod
No, a couple people did ask about protein supplies,

As for blood sugar spikes, you can virtually not go over 2-3 mmol more by prebolusing. I usually manage to keep it under or close to a 2 point rise. Prebolusing allows insulin to work more like a "normal" persons by having it ready when you eat. Not always, I have forgotten or goofed on judging absorption times. I always give myself a pass.

@zand, that just doesn't even make sense. And also head in the sand philosophy by denying what actually goes on,

I remember once being confronted at a dinner party about donating to animals causes. The person said to me with all the children and people needing help, she couldn't stand when people just helped animal causes. I told her (and I do) that while I mostly donate to animal causes, we also donate to several human causes as well, missions downtown for the homeless and helping with learning a "trade" in other countries. And she said that's good then. And then I said what I hate is when people don't like what someone donates to and they don't donate to any cause. She got a wide eyed look and didn't say anything more, ever, about it.

So don't criticize and decide what causes I choose to help or care about, more than one thing always needs help in this world, you can help your cause and I will decide mine. So if your concern is more for your fellow man, then help your fellow man.

And yes this thread was supposed to not be about things like this, but I am choosing to reply to some comments made.
This is supposed to be in the vegetarian section and I for one welcome questions, but why must it turn into a very tired trend of I love my meat and meat jabs aimed at?????????

Reactions: LooperCat

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I'd like discussions on vegetarianism, veganism and aspects of diabetes. I'd like not to have to deal with comments about how wonderful meat is.

I haven't started any of the threads I've thought about starting because I know how they'd degenerate. It's pointless. So I go back to the books and the net but I'd love to be able to discuss these things here!

I notice no vegans pop up in the Low Carb forum slagging off meat. Why can't the same courtesy be extended to us?

Reactions: Robinredbreast

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like discussions on vegetarianism, veganism and aspects of diabetes. I'd like not to have to deal with comments about how wonderful meat is.

So you want the forum to become a pro vegan/vegetarian echo chamber?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

No - I want to be able to discuss the best ways for a vegetarian or vegan to deal with aspects of their diabetes within their chosen dietary practices. Simple stuff like that.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Or how veganism affects diabetes - by those who actually practise it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No - I want to be able to discuss the best ways for a vegetarian or vegan to deal with aspects of their diabetes within their chosen dietary practices. Simple stuff like that.
That's great but not what your previous post said...

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

All the things people ask about within a LCHF diet - what does this, how do I that, - all of it - I'd like us veggies & vegans to be able to talk about that here. Safely.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

That's great but not what your previous post said...

"I'd like discussions on vegetarianism, veganism and aspects of diabetes. I'd like not to have to deal with comments about how wonderful meat is."

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
This is in the vegetarian section. It is supposed to be about vegetarian questions etc

Status
Not open for further replies.