1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Role of diet in modern medicine

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by truevegetarian, Jul 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yeah - fish - even freshly dead - smells. I guess they smell different when they're alive, but dead beings always smell of death in their separate ways. I know people like eating them; hey - I used to, years ago. Couldn't now, but I did then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

How much milk, cheese and butter gets farmed that way? And how much on an industrial scale?

However - don't want this thread to go down that path; it is meant to be discussing perceived health benefits of our various diets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Vegan works for me as a type 1 , vegetarian works for my husband as a type 2 (in remission now). There is plenty of research to show being a vegetarian is very healthy. He is not a vegan because he doesn't want to be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #63 Marie 2, Jul 7, 2019 at 8:37 PM
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I find your statement offensive. Strange that if I used the word 'vomit' or 'revolting' in regard to your chosen diet I would be moderated and rightly so but when you do it it's allowed to stand.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Been trying hard to put this into words. The dairy is scary thing shocked me. The woman shocked me. Yes there are things in the world that make me cry - starving babies, children being raped and forced to marry at age 12, FGM, the list goes on...but artificial insemination of cows..please..really? Is that supposed to fill me with horror? Sorry it just doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Is there nowhere on this forum where we can discuss non-meat food in peace?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I was going to suggest 'Vegetarian diet forum' ....... but oops/

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Robinredbreast

Could you explain what 'refreshers' would help, which is on a Vegetarian section of the forum, regarding vegetables/plant based foods, that some members enjoy as part of their diet or all of their diet. Genuine question.

I am not vegetarian, but like and eat vegetables :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Sapien

Sapien Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Isn’t it difficult to stay very low carb on a vegan diet, especially if you want to get a moderate amount of good quantity protein?

It seems easy to stay away from the clearly bad stuff (sugar, refined grains, refined seed oils, processed meats) on a vegan diet, but getting sufficient protein from beans, lentils, whole grains, and some vegetables seems hard while still keeping carbs low.

The advantage of meat, fish and eggs is the high quality protein with no or little (eggs) carbs. Unfortunately, it isn’t always so easy to get meat and fish from animals that ate their natural diet and are not contaminated (PCBs, heavy metals, GMO feed, etc.)

I like meat and fish but would also happily eat vegan if I could figure out how to eat vegan, get the quality protein and keep blood sugar as stable as when eating meat, fish and eggs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

Me too.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I asked people to be polite to each other and suggested some could find refreshing their knowledge of the Community Ethos and Rules to be helpful.

#72 DCUKMod, Jul 7, 2019 at 9:43 PM
  13. LooperCat

It’s difficult but by no means impossible - but not everyone here eats low carb. Type ones don’t need to.

• Like Like x 1
  14. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I apologise. I come straight to the Recent Posts page, and did not notice I am in the vegetarian forum.

I like dairy and some fish and chicken, but would prefer eat vegan if, indeed, it would save the planet. However, I cant work out how to get the amount of protein I require and also keep my blood glucose levels in safe numbers.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. Robinredbreast

Thank you, I understand now, from what I've seen, 99% of the time it doesn't seem to work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #75 Robinredbreast, Jul 7, 2019 at 9:55 PM
  16. Sapien

Sapien Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Isn’t low carb also helpful for type 1 to keep stable blood sugar? e.g. Dr Bernstein’s law of small numbers. Matching insulin bolus with food eaten has more room for error the higher the carbs.

Any advice from type2 (or type1) as to how to maximize protein while keeping carbs and blood sugar spikes low?

17. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Ok, I confess what follows is a generalisation ...

In my experience people who strictly follow a diet, be it vegan, low carb, low fat, ... do research and understand the impact of their diet, the nutritional elements they need to focus on and, through this, maintain a healthier lifestyle.

In my experience, people who don’t follow a diet, focus less on the nutritional elements and are more likely to suffer through their (unhealthy) diet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Robinredbreast

Hi, the best thing would be to start a new thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. LooperCat

It can be. I follow it myself, in fact, and have done for 18 months with great success. But many type ones are able to deal with a high carb diet with equally great success.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

My husband who is/was a type 2, his A1C is now 6.2% does fine on a vegetarian diet. When he was first diagnosed he had an 8.4% A1C He does take metformin which seemed to solve most of his issues. Some people can't take metformin. But he added a salad everyday and a bowl of veggies with seitan/tofu that I make most days. A lot more veggies added into his diet. He still sneaks in some junk food, which is probably why he will stay on metformin.

With all the fake meats out there now, even in the regular supermarket it is easy to get protein. Morning Star, Gardein, Beyond Meat to name a few. Yves bacon is 5 grams per slice, Tofurky is 5 grams per 3 thin slices. A half can of beans is 20 grams, tofu container, 20 grams. I add seitan, tofu, tempah or beans to most of my veggies. Plus if it's only protein you are worried about, a protein shake is a easy way to add protein. A scoop of either, soy, pea or rice protein is 20 grams. You can make a shake yourself or buy a low carb mix. I say low carb because you really have to watch the sugars in some of them, generally they aren't bad at 10-15 carbs, but you can also get 1 or 2 carb ones easily. Your body can't utilize much over 25-35 grams of protein at a given time. The higher amounts are usually only required when you are doing intense weight lifting etc, then your protein needs would go up.

I am a type 1 vegan and doing very well, I have been a vegetarian for over 50 years now and a vegan for over 30, way before I developed type 1. My last A1C was 6%. It was sitting at 6.4% for years and I was happy with that too. I have many days of 100% in range and I have been told I am the best controlled type 1 at my doctors and diabetic nutritionists office. It's a great way to control blood sugars as long as it's a "healthy" vegetarian/vegan diet and for a type 1 that means you also dose appropriately..

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook