1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Role of diet in modern medicine

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by truevegetarian, Jul 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Was this to Sapien, or in general? Sapien has started a dedicate thread, if that's relevant.

Any Mod can move your post if necessary.

2. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You do know the male calfs are all slaughtered shortly after birth, or else are crated immediaely, deliberately fed a diet that will cause anemia and then killed for veal? Oh and they live in crates that don't permit movement to prevent muscle growth..... we want them nice and tender.

Female adults are usually killed after 5 or 6 years because they can't have any more calfs. (and therefore won't produce milk for humans). The normal cow's lifespan is 20 to 21 years. She was forced into pregnancy within days of giving birth, time after time until she couldn't get pregnant any more. And never ever permitted to keep one of those babies .....

I don't believe this meat can be good for people. How could it be?

And yes, humans treat each other dreadfully but is that any reason for treating the least able to defend themselves with such a terrible lack of compassion?

• Winner Winner x 1
    #82 WuTwo, Jul 8, 2019 at 6:41 AM
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  3. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes, i do know all of that. It's not all true though. For example, if all males are killed shortly after birth how come we have adult males left for beef? Would you really want a countryside with no animals grazing? How cruel is that to even deny them a life? And cows have calves for longer than 6 years. You really shouldn't believe everything you read. The biggest mistake is to put human emotions in to animals. 'She is never permitted to keep one of those babies' I am not saying animals don't feel but I am much more concerned with our treatment of our fellow man.

Anyhow this thread is about using diet to heal ourselves. One of the comments I read on the farcical scary dairy site said that if someone eats meat then they should pay for their own medical bills and not rely on the NHS! What if someone gets sick because they haven't eaten meat? It works both ways.

#83 zand, Jul 8, 2019 at 7:24 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2019
  4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Depends on what 'is low carb' as many have different views.
    ' Reduced carbs' is the term I prefer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WuTwo

Beef cattle are raised for beef and bred genetically for beef yield. Dairy cows are bred - genetically - for milk yield. Big difference.

The thread has degenerated into the expected pile on. Many thanks :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. WuTwo

I think the easiest way out of this is simply to put the entire clique on ignore, and so I have.

Save a lot of angst, and if they can't irritate and annoy people maybe they'll stop?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #86 WuTwo, Jul 8, 2019 at 8:00 AM
  7. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Sadly it has and not for the first time.
    Maybe vegetarians will have to find some where else to post about diet/lifestyle because they flipping well cant on a Vegetarian section on this site !! :mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

The thread is supposed to be about the role of diet in modern medicine. Surely then all diets need to be discussed? We can't just assume that a vegan diet is the healthiest just because it suits some and because a newbie intent on causing trouble has put it on the vegetarian section.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. WuTwo

I could not agree more, and the only reason I still post in it is because occasionally new veggies arrive looking for advice and I want them to be able to receive it.

Certainly it's difficult to use it as a veggie forum, and I notice there aren't exactly many of us left who do....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Any further posts which ridicule other people's dietary choices will be deleted, signing up to this forum means you have understood the rules about respecting each other's opinions and choices, so please think carefully before you post.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I read this thread because I am interested in what a vegan diet could do for me. I am not interested in the animal welfare arguments, just about what it says in the title, the role of diet in modern medicine, eg how it could help me. Sadly I haven't learnt anything here. I have found the spin off thread about low carb vegetarian/vegan ideas to be helpful. Thank you.

#91 zand, Jul 8, 2019 at 8:23 AM
  12. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@DCUKMod
    No, a couple people did ask about protein supplies,

As for blood sugar spikes, you can virtually not go over 2-3 mmol more by prebolusing. I usually manage to keep it under or close to a 2 point rise. Prebolusing allows insulin to work more like a "normal" persons by having it ready when you eat. Not always, I have forgotten or goofed on judging absorption times. I always give myself a pass.

@zand, that just doesn't even make sense. And also head in the sand philosophy by denying what actually goes on,

I remember once being confronted at a dinner party about donating to animals causes. The person said to me with all the children and people needing help, she couldn't stand when people just helped animal causes. I told her (and I do) that while I mostly donate to animal causes, we also donate to several human causes as well, missions downtown for the homeless and helping with learning a "trade" in other countries. And she said that's good then. And then I said what I hate is when people don't like what someone donates to and they don't donate to any cause. She got a wide eyed look and didn't say anything more, ever, about it.

So don't criticize and decide what causes I choose to help or care about, more than one thing always needs help in this world, you can help your cause and I will decide mine. So if your concern is more for your fellow man, then help your fellow man.

And yes this thread was supposed to not be about things like this, but I am choosing to reply to some comments made.
    This is supposed to be in the vegetarian section and I for one welcome questions, but why must it turn into a very tired trend of I love my meat and meat jabs aimed at?????????

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. WuTwo

I'd like discussions on vegetarianism, veganism and aspects of diabetes. I'd like not to have to deal with comments about how wonderful meat is.

I haven't started any of the threads I've thought about starting because I know how they'd degenerate. It's pointless. So I go back to the books and the net but I'd love to be able to discuss these things here!

I notice no vegans pop up in the Low Carb forum slagging off meat. Why can't the same courtesy be extended to us?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

So you want the forum to become a pro vegan/vegetarian echo chamber?

15. WuTwo

No - I want to be able to discuss the best ways for a vegetarian or vegan to deal with aspects of their diabetes within their chosen dietary practices. Simple stuff like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. WuTwo

Or how veganism affects diabetes - by those who actually practise it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

That's great but not what your previous post said...

18. WuTwo

All the things people ask about within a LCHF diet - what does this, how do I that, - all of it - I'd like us veggies & vegans to be able to talk about that here. Safely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. WuTwo

"I'd like discussions on vegetarianism, veganism and aspects of diabetes. I'd like not to have to deal with comments about how wonderful meat is."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

This is in the vegetarian section. It is supposed to be about vegetarian questions etc

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook