Vegan/Vegetarian Products You Love and Recommend Trying!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am planning on trying Tofu for the first time this week. Any particular type or form good for a newbie Tofu eater in the UK?

I have issues with fungi and fungi derivatives, so am a bit wary of quorn type things.

Reactions: Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I'd get the Cauldron either plain or pre-marinaded. Be sure to cook it with flavoursome herbs/sauce/whatever. Tofu has no natural flavur and will take on the flavour of the food you cook it with.

https://www.cauldronfoods.co.uk/pro...MIsd2BnqSq4wIVrL3tCh1gyg7kEAAYASAAEgI-BvD_BwE

You can dust it with flavouring, marinade it, anything you like really.

Quote from the site:

"Ready to eat from the pack or try hot. Remove all packaging. Draining and pressing will give extra firmness to the tofu and allow it to absorb flavours. Press for a minimum of 10 minutes, up to 20 minutes. Preheat 1 tbsp of oil. Fry over a medium heat, turning frequently. Check product is piping hot before serving."

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just cut an extra firm one into cubes or chips, dust with whatever flavour I fancy and fry it in coconut oil until crispy. Aaaaaaaaaaaand that’s what I want for dinner now :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I have a question if anyone can help. About 3/4 years ago my daughter was vegetarian and I bought a veggie chicken roast joint for our Sunday dinner, it looked, smelled and tasted great, but a couple of hours later, I was continually sick/vomiting ( I have coeliac) I'm sure it wasn't Linda McCartney, but I can't remember what the name of it was, so is this a tofu product, also I had no change in my usual veggies, gravy or potatoes ?
TIA :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I have a question if anyone can help. About 3/4 years ago my daughter was vegetarian and I bought a veggie chicken roast joint for our Sunday dinner, it looked, smelled and tasted great, but a couple of hours later, I was continually sick/vomiting ( I have coeliac) I'm sure it wasn't Linda McCartney, but I can't remember what the name of it was, so is this a tofu product, also I had no change in my usual veggies, gravy or potatoes ?
Quorn do one - could it have been that?

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am planning on trying Tofu for the first time this week. Any particular type or form good for a newbie Tofu eater in the UK?

I have issues with fungi and fungi derivatives, so am a bit wary of quorn type things.

I like the Tofoo brand available in Sainsbury's because it is firmer than Cauldron. I cook with the plain variety but often eat the smoked as it is, in salads or on a (low carb bread) sandwich - TLT is good! (tofu, lettuce and tomato)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I suspect it could have been seitan. The major ingredient of seitan is vital wheat gluten.......

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Robinredbreast I make tofu and its just coagulated wholebean soymilk; no gluten ivolved and not really the sort of thing I'd use as a joint.

Thi is the description of quorn mince

"Mycoprotein (93%), Rehydrated Free Range Egg White, Natural Caramelised Sugar, Firming Agents: Calcium Chloride, Calcium Acetate; Gluten Free Barley Malt Extract. For allergens, including cereals containing glutens, see ingredients in bold."

So it could have been that, but I make seitan and it always involves a fair bit of vital wheat gluten and I thought of you when I first made it, and how ill you'd be if you ate it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Robinredbreast I make tofu and its just coagulated wholebean soymilk; no gluten ivolved and not really the sort of thing I'd use as a joint.

Thi is the description of quorn mince

"Mycoprotein (93%), Rehydrated Free Range Egg White, Natural Caramelised Sugar, Firming Agents: Calcium Chloride, Calcium Acetate; Gluten Free Barley Malt Extract. For allergens, including cereals containing glutens, see ingredients in bold."

So it could have been that, but I make seitan and it always involves a fair bit of vital wheat gluten and I thought of you when I first made it, and how ill you'd be if you ate it.

Thanks @WuTwo , It was the Quorn family roast and it would be the mycoprotein, as the product says Gluten free, so it's the mould spores.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Robinredbreast - Good that you know. so that you don't ever have it again. Pretty wretched way to spend an afternoon!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Robinredbreast

Beyond Meat has gluten free chicken and beef products, you might check out the ingredients for next time. It's a pea protein base.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Robinredbreast

Beyond Meat has gluten free chicken and beef products, you might check out the ingredients for next time. It's a pea protein base.

Thanks, I am okay with pea protein as I have eaten a snack which is pea protein, GF, and really nice. I am moving more towards the veggie options, so lots to think about.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@lucylocket61
The mistake most people make when trying tofu at first, is not realizing it doesn't really have any flavor. So trying a flavored one at first is a good option. My newest find is to take the pre cut squares and shake nutritional yeast on them and bake, pretty easy and wonderful add to salads and veggies, or just snack on. I'll leave the brand recommendations to the others before me as we seem to not have a lot of the same companies in common.

Reactions: Antje77

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Robinredbreast

Lol, I have to add I thought someone mentioned once you have Beyond Meat in the UK, but I don't know so maybe someone here can let you know.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
They are not in the Uk or? Because I had one in my freezer that I was looking at that says gluten free and read the ingredients.