1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vegan/Vegetarian Products You Love and Recommend Trying!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Marie 2, Jul 10, 2019.

1. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Robinredbreast - this in the U.K. packaging for the vegan Beyond Meat beefburgers - the front says gluten and soy free as well. £5.50 in the frozen section of Tesco.

7EC0EEE6-71B4-4956-8D52-D094C50F0B78.jpeg

Tesco do Oomph too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Thanks Mel, that's great :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Our local Tesco tends to give me claustrophobia - the aisles are very high, and not very wide. I feel like they're closing in on me! I'll go if I have to, but I usually ask husband to come too.

• Hug Hug x 2
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I bought the Vivera shawarma kebab today and tried a piece straight from the packet to taste and my first impression is that it tastes better than regular supermarket shawarma (meat) :)
    Too bad it's twice as expensive as well :(. But the difference in price between the Vivera one and the biological meat one isn't too big, and as that was the one I usually bought it's just fine.
    So I'm off to make some scary garlic sauce :jimlad::hungry:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think I need to explore cauliflower more. Its quite expensive fresh, is frozen cauli ok and does it need special preparation? I wasnt planning on buying it as frozen cauliflower rice, but just buy bags of frozen caulie florets.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Frozen cauliflower is great. Some say frozen is better because it’s frozen right after picking. Cauliflower rice is really good, of course I’ve been hooked on it lately. Here a bag is only 6 grams carbs and the texture is just like rice and it’s not a strong flavor! It’s sort of a pain to try to get the texture right for “rice” so you might buy it once to try it out.

It doesn’t need much of anything just cook like it says on pack or until it “soft” enough for you. It can be plain or does well with seasonings from cheese, aminos, nutritional yeast or WuTwo’s Parmegan topping is really good with it (nut and nutri yeast mix) the recipe is on a thread of its own .

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. LooperCat

Don’t forget broccoli too! Both make great rice if you roast it for half an hour to dry it out a little, and I often roast big chunks of both veg in the oven until soft. Broccoli is lower in carbs than cauliflower.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great - I love broccoli. I wont be buying the packs of frozen cauliflower rice already made, as it too expensive. But buying fresh or frozen florets sounds good. Thanks

• Like Like x 3
  9. LooperCat

I buy a chilled container as and when I want some in Aldi - think it’s about 79p. I don’t have space in my freezer!

• Like Like x 3
  10. LooperCat

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

&Mel dCP
    Very interesting! Not ever seen that!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I have the Aldi brocoli and the cauliflower 'rice' in my freezer too, but my freezer actually needs defrosting :meh:

• Like Like x 1
  13. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Wow! I wonder, if they're a success in pubs, if they'll be available in shops as well. They sound interesting and I'd be happy to try them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Mel dCP I’m tagging @maglil55 who makes a very successful crispy coating using various seeds and nut flours. Might be useful if the veggie pork scratchings aren’t easy to come by.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Vegetarian Shoes, the shop in Brighton (also online). We went today, hubby (meat eater) purchased a lovely new pair of shoes there.

• Like Like x 3
  16. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I noticed when last in M&S, they now have some tote bags, marked vegan.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

First off. I’m not vegan or vegetarian so if anything I post upsets anyone I apologise now.
    Currently on holiday and this always involves eating, lots of eating especially out.
    So today was in an establishment that had a limited menu. On the menu was a “ vegan flatbread .”
    My open mind decided it sounded okay and different. It was ordered and also shared with wife.
    We both agreed it was really nice and tasty.
    Now here is my concern. Was the marketing correct ? How many people would pass this by on the menu when they read
    “ vegan?” To me it would’ve been a huge mistake not to have ordered it purely based on the fact it was marketed at a dietary belief I don’t have. Just felt the eatery was kinda shooting itself in the foot.
    How should it have been marketed? Obviously this is only a light hearted question, but would just calling it a flatbread have been wrong for those following a vegan/ vegetarian diet?

• Like Like x 1
  18. LooperCat

I suppose it depends if it was a topped bread? Did it have began cheese or meat substitutes on it? Quite often veggie things are marked V and vegan ones VV or Ve - so maybe they’ve had requests for specifically vegan dishes and they’re making a marketing feature out of it?

19. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@therower just calling it flatbread is fine by me. Most places also use a v or ve symbol if someone is worried about specifics. Not sure about lack of popularity due to the name, most omnivores would still consider it I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ingredients were.
    Bread
    Avocado
    Hummus
    Peppers.
    Really simple, really tasty and something I was glad I didn’t miss.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook