What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not been in long after being out all day.

It was supposed to be our yearly cream tea day. But I cannot partake of all that carby stuff now, so we ended all having a roast lunch. They all had my favourite strawberry cream tartlet for afters. Sigh...

I know any spuds put my glucose readings up, but I had promised myself just two roast spuds. But the lady put 6 beautiful roast potatoes on my plate even though I had just asked for two. So I was fighting with myself not to eat them. I won the battle, roast spuds lost...

My prize for being good was an evening blood glucose reading of 7.3! One of my lowest readings for in ever.
0C28EA2D-AE27-4038-9F1C-4C0589A6938A.jpeg

Anyway I wanted to post a pic of something I saw before I went into the restaurant.

>^..^<

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s raining. This is good as some of the plants outside looked a bit fed up and I forgot to water them last night.

I think that the wonder wheel of misinformation and besmirched reputations is on a holding pattern while the pilot is having a nap. It trawled along at 5.5 from 0230 until I awoke at 0545, coughed, jumped up to 6.1 and is currently sitting at 5.6.

My grandson, Mr Pickle, as part of his school cricket team, was at Headingley yesterday for the primary school county finals. They finished 12th out of the 500 schools in the contest. Pretty good for a first attempt. He looks forward to next year when he will be in year 6. Coming from a rugby family where his grandfather and all his uncles played or still play at club level, some even get paid, this is a bit disappointing yet at the same time we are glad for the little chap and cheer on his endeavors. He already plays football for Yorkshire school boys (another disappointment), is getting quite good at golf (disappointing) and is in the school cross country team (excellent - well done).

Have a great day if you can, dancing in the rain on a warm morning is very uplifting if you are a bit down. Don’t worry about the neighbours - they are just jealous that they didn’t think of it first.

Congratulations to Mr Pickle and his teammates and coaches! And hugs to the rest of y'all for the cricket and football disappointments (I prefer rugby too).

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 this morning, that's what I get for having protein with no carbs ;)
That's interesting - had a lot more protein last night and I was 6.2 this morning. I will basically be carnivore until Monday as I find it easier when staying in a hotel. Will be interesting to see what my BS do.

Train journey to London yesterday was relaxing. Before I left I got my admin absolutely up to date - even got my tax self assessment paperwork to the accountant.

Hotel is lovely - it is 4 minutes away from my course venue and right next to the British Museum. This does not bode well for the amount of exercise I will do today. Hopefully I will get some steps in tonight when I go to the Edvard Munch Exhibition there tonight.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds like a great opportunity to check a place out. I've never heard of that sort of arrangement here. I wonder if sheltered accommodation is like our "independent living" or more like "assisted living." The former means housing for people 62 and over (55 and over in some communities), basically just a regular apartment or house but limited to "seniors" of at least 55 or 62. You are able to live independent of household help/personal care. "Assisted" living provides the household/personal assistance.

@SaskiaKC - thanks - she currently lives in a one bed bungalow on a square full of the same. There are emergency pull cords in each room. However she is now either in a wheelchair or a stroller for getting around her little abode.
The place that we have found is like an apartment block, so your own small apartment. On the ground floor are cafe’s, a restaurant, hairdresser, beauty salon, sport facilities and other handy amenities together with live in staff and a medical centre. She has been assessed as being eligible to join this community and hopefully will take the opportunity to check the place out.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not been in long after being out all day.

It was supposed to be our yearly cream tea day. But I cannot partake of all that carby stuff now, so we ended all having a roast lunch. They all had my favourite strawberry cream tartlet for afters. Sigh...

I know any spuds put my glucose readings up, but I had promised myself just two roast spuds. But the lady put 6 beautiful roast potatoes on my plate even though I had just asked for two. So I was fighting with myself not to eat them. I won the battle, roast spuds lost...

My prize for being good was an evening blood glucose reading of 7.3! One of my lowest readings for in ever. View attachment 34237

Anyway I wanted to post a pic of something I saw before I went into the restaurant.

>^..^<
Good achievement - if you are weaning yourself off potatoes then the trick is to cook them the day before, let them go cold and leave them in the fridge overnight before re-heating the next day - this method locks about a third of the carbs as resistant starch and has lots of benefits - including lower carb loading and improving gut function.

You can do the same with pasta and rice if you are still weaning off these also.

One bit of research on retrograde rice (don’t know if results have been repeated) concluded that retrograded rice had higher resistant starch levels compared with those of common rice powder, and it lowered body weight gain and improved lipid profiles and gut function in rats.

You can read that report here if you like: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296917/

Again - well done you.

Reactions: Viv19 and ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.6 this morning at 4:30 am
Which is great anyway for me and great since I met friends for a meal. I ate the good stuff for me in the meal, and allowed myself two lovely roast potatoes.

Going to bed last night, I was making a cup of tea when I noticed a piece of chocolate inviting me to eat it. It was left over from my morning cashew nuts and bits of dark chocolate.

I didn’t even reach out for it. So I didn’t have to slap myself on the wrist. I was a very good girl.

I have noticed from my food diary that if some chocolate tempts me in the evening just because I saw it lying there all on its lonesome, then my fasting fbg next morning is raised by quite a lot. And it is raised during the night as well. it was one of those occasions when I reached automatically when I saw the piece of chocolate lying there all lonely, and I popped it automatically in my mouth to keep it company. And I was mad with myself for doing it because I didn’t need it or desire it. It was automatic reflex. So I made myself test in the night when I did that, and was shocked that it raised blood sugar levels and even into the next day. So, now I am not even tempted.

Yet I can eat dark chocolate in the morning and it doesn’t raise the levels.

So that piece of chocolate had to wait on its lonesome until this morning when it joined the rest of the chocolate bits and cashew nuts.

There is a time for everything...

>^..^<

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope. Levi stay-prest though and one of these https://www.modshopping.com/categories/men-suits/two-tone-suit.html in a very fetching green and blue:angelic:

I once bought a two tone (tonic) suit and wore it with a Ben Sherman shirt on a visit to my grandparents house.
My grandfather took one look at it, disappeared to his bedroom and returned with his own two tone suit. He held it aloft and announced to my grandmother, “been saving this since 1950 - and now that they are back in fashion, will give it a brush”.
Very deflating to a so called fashionista teenager.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@pavlosn glad the bg is good for you this morning. How's the aircon? @karen8967 enjoy the last day of your holiday. @Viv19 bg coming down nicely so sub 6 will be along soon - don't sweat the small stuff. @DJC3 fantastic news on scan result so today's fbg is irrelevant. @dunelm Ben Sherman shirts - you as well ? Brogues and a trilby? So, my fbg was alleged to be 4.8 . Meter initially said it was full of fury and signifying nothing then later texted me saying I shall do such things, I know not what, but they shall be the terrors of the earth. Charming. Stay calm and drink tea - you know it makes sense Rodney.