1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HarrisonK, Apr 24, 2019.

1. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Friendly Friendly x 6
  2. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 8
    #5282 ianpspurs, Jul 11, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  3. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

6.8 at 10:00

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Mr Pickle and his teammates and coaches! And hugs to the rest of y'all for the cricket and football disappointments (I prefer rugby too).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. pavlosn

pavlosn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good morning all
    Nice to be back below six with a 5.8 score this morning.
    Have a nice Friday

Pavlos

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 7
  7. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

Seriously? Haha that’s funny. Though we lived overseas for some time so we obviously missed that gem.
    @ianspurs. Those very fetching suits look like shot silk. Amazing.
    Bg last night was 6.8 and this morning it was 6.4. Better. Now to get it below 6.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. trick60

trick60 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Good morning folks, 5.9 on the dice, good with that after a Chinese meal last night, back to salads for a bit now.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 6
  9. HarrisonK

HarrisonK Type 2 · Well-Known Member

6.0 this morning, that's what I get for having protein with no carbs ;)

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 6
  10. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

That's interesting - had a lot more protein last night and I was 6.2 this morning. I will basically be carnivore until Monday as I find it easier when staying in a hotel. Will be interesting to see what my BS do.

Train journey to London yesterday was relaxing. Before I left I got my admin absolutely up to date - even got my tax self assessment paperwork to the accountant.

Hotel is lovely - it is 4 minutes away from my course venue and right next to the British Museum. This does not bode well for the amount of exercise I will do today. Hopefully I will get some steps in tonight when I go to the Edvard Munch Exhibition there tonight.

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

4.9 for me last day of holiday for us today have a good day everyone

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 5
  12. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@SaskiaKC - thanks - she currently lives in a one bed bungalow on a square full of the same. There are emergency pull cords in each room. However she is now either in a wheelchair or a stroller for getting around her little abode.
    The place that we have found is like an apartment block, so your own small apartment. On the ground floor are cafe’s, a restaurant, hairdresser, beauty salon, sport facilities and other handy amenities together with live in staff and a medical centre. She has been assessed as being eligible to join this community and hopefully will take the opportunity to check the place out.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    #5292 dunelm, Jul 12, 2019 at 7:24 AM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  13. dunelm

Good achievement - if you are weaning yourself off potatoes then the trick is to cook them the day before, let them go cold and leave them in the fridge overnight before re-heating the next day - this method locks about a third of the carbs as resistant starch and has lots of benefits - including lower carb loading and improving gut function.

You can do the same with pasta and rice if you are still weaning off these also.

One bit of research on retrograde rice (don’t know if results have been repeated) concluded that retrograded rice had higher resistant starch levels compared with those of common rice powder, and it lowered body weight gain and improved lipid profiles and gut function in rats.

You can read that report here if you like: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296917/

Again - well done you.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  14. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

7.6 this morning at 4:30 am
    Which is great anyway for me and great since I met friends for a meal. I ate the good stuff for me in the meal, and allowed myself two lovely roast potatoes.

Going to bed last night, I was making a cup of tea when I noticed a piece of chocolate inviting me to eat it. It was left over from my morning cashew nuts and bits of dark chocolate.

I didn’t even reach out for it. So I didn’t have to slap myself on the wrist. I was a very good girl.

I have noticed from my food diary that if some chocolate tempts me in the evening just because I saw it lying there all on its lonesome, then my fasting fbg next morning is raised by quite a lot. And it is raised during the night as well. it was one of those occasions when I reached automatically when I saw the piece of chocolate lying there all lonely, and I popped it automatically in my mouth to keep it company. And I was mad with myself for doing it because I didn’t need it or desire it. It was automatic reflex. So I made myself test in the night when I did that, and was shocked that it raised blood sugar levels and even into the next day. So, now I am not even tempted.

Yet I can eat dark chocolate in the morning and it doesn’t raise the levels.

So that piece of chocolate had to wait on its lonesome until this morning when it joined the rest of the chocolate bits and cashew nuts.

There is a time for everything...

>^..^<

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    #5294 gennepher, Jul 12, 2019 at 7:37 AM
  15. dunelm

I once bought a two tone (tonic) suit and wore it with a Ben Sherman shirt on a visit to my grandparents house.
    My grandfather took one look at it, disappeared to his bedroom and returned with his own two tone suit. He held it aloft and announced to my grandmother, “been saving this since 1950 - and now that they are back in fashion, will give it a brush”.
    Very deflating to a so called fashionista teenager.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  16. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

@pavlosn glad the bg is good for you this morning. How's the aircon? @karen8967 enjoy the last day of your holiday. @Viv19 bg coming down nicely so sub 6 will be along soon - don't sweat the small stuff. @DJC3 fantastic news on scan result so today's fbg is irrelevant. @dunelm Ben Sherman shirts - you as well ? Brogues and a trilby? So, my fbg was alleged to be 4.8 . Meter initially said it was full of fury and signifying nothing then later texted me saying I shall do such things, I know not what, but they shall be the terrors of the earth. Charming. Stay calm and drink tea - you know it makes sense Rodney.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  17. dunelm

Just had to go to the top of the forum to check out which one it was - all this talk of fancy tailoring and sheltered accommodation. I’m confused enough when unsupervised and even typing is a confusion - the army taught me to type on a four bank imperial typewriter and then on fancy Creed and Seimens teleprinters - this keyboard however is organised in a different fashion; I do sometimes reach for the carriage return handle.

Oh dear! I’m rambling, the wonder wheel of high expectations and lowered outcomes raced home with a sparking fanfare and a 5.1 in the green.

With mum at the opticians this morning - she has a prescription - in French - so will spend up to 4 nano-seconds choosing the cheapest black frames in the place - not being one for the Edna Everage look. A set for reading, a set for distance.

Have a wonderful Friday and if you are all continental - Bon Weekend!

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  18. dunelm

Ben Shermans, thin ties, crombie coat, brogues - never bothered with the trilby as I wore a beret all day at work. I sometimes wonder if we looked smart or just daft.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #5298 dunelm, Jul 12, 2019 at 8:02 AM
  19. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning All. 5.7 today which is fine.
    @karen8967 enjoy last day of your hols. @HarrisonK that made me laugh. @gennepher well done for stepping away from the late night choc and just having two roasties at lunch I try to stick to one but Christmas is two and roast parsnip. I dont test that day!@dunelm really funny about the suit, the apartment for your mum sounds good hope it works out.@Krystyna23040 have a great weekend in London.
    I am going down to my friend in Kent tomo and we are having our annual outing to a marvellous garden centre and I’m staying overnight. Lookng forward to a good girly catch up. OH has plans to cook liver for supper which I wont have in the house so all happy.
    Have a great Friday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A pleasing 5.3 this morning, probably because of champagne yesterday celebrating clear scan. I’m cancer free and have 6 more months of happiness ahead. It’s difficult to describe how that feels.
    Just to bring me down to earth with a bump I checked Patient Access for my blood results last night. Lo and behold HbA1c had gone up to 41 so I am clinging to non- diabetic status by the skin of my teeth! Time to throw off my slapdash ways and start keeping proper records again.
    @dunelm I loved the story of your grandad’s suit and can imagine the horror that would invoke in a teenage boy.
    @gennepher well done on your restraint yesterday with your roast/ afternoon tea. Very impressive.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook