What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had to go to the top of the forum to check out which one it was - all this talk of fancy tailoring and sheltered accommodation. I’m confused enough when unsupervised and even typing is a confusion - the army taught me to type on a four bank imperial typewriter and then on fancy Creed and Seimens teleprinters - this keyboard however is organised in a different fashion; I do sometimes reach for the carriage return handle.

Oh dear! I’m rambling, the wonder wheel of high expectations and lowered outcomes raced home with a sparking fanfare and a 5.1 in the green.

With mum at the opticians this morning - she has a prescription - in French - so will spend up to 4 nano-seconds choosing the cheapest black frames in the place - not being one for the Edna Everage look. A set for reading, a set for distance.

Have a wonderful Friday and if you are all continental - Bon Weekend!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@pavlosn glad the bg is good for you this morning. How's the aircon? @karen8967 enjoy the last day of your holiday. @Viv19 bg coming down nicely so sub 6 will be along soon - don't sweat the small stuff. @DJC3 fantastic news on scan result so today's fbg is irrelevant. @dunelm Ben Sherman shirts - you as well ? Brogues and a trilby? So, my fbg was alleged to be 4.8 . Meter initially said it was full of fury and signifying nothing then later texted me saying I shall do such things, I know not what, but they shall be the terrors of the earth. Charming. Stay calm and drink tea - you know it makes sense Rodney.

Ben Shermans, thin ties, crombie coat, brogues - never bothered with the trilby as I wore a beret all day at work. I sometimes wonder if we looked smart or just daft.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.7 today which is fine.
@karen8967 enjoy last day of your hols. @HarrisonK that made me laugh. @gennepher well done for stepping away from the late night choc and just having two roasties at lunch I try to stick to one but Christmas is two and roast parsnip. I dont test that day!@dunelm really funny about the suit, the apartment for your mum sounds good hope it works out.@Krystyna23040 have a great weekend in London.
I am going down to my friend in Kent tomo and we are having our annual outing to a marvellous garden centre and I’m staying overnight. Lookng forward to a good girly catch up. OH has plans to cook liver for supper which I wont have in the house so all happy.
Have a great Friday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A pleasing 5.3 this morning, probably because of champagne yesterday celebrating clear scan. I’m cancer free and have 6 more months of happiness ahead. It’s difficult to describe how that feels.
Just to bring me down to earth with a bump I checked Patient Access for my blood results last night. Lo and behold HbA1c had gone up to 41 so I am clinging to non- diabetic status by the skin of my teeth! Time to throw off my slapdash ways and start keeping proper records again.
@dunelm I loved the story of your grandad’s suit and can imagine the horror that would invoke in a teenage boy.
@gennepher well done on your restraint yesterday with your roast/ afternoon tea. Very impressive.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good achievement - if you are weaning yourself off potatoes then the trick is to cook them the day before, let them go cold and leave them in the fridge overnight before re-heating the next day - this method locks about a third of the carbs as resistant starch and has lots of benefits - including lower carb loading and improving gut function.

You can do the same with pasta and rice if you are still weaning off these also.

One bit of research on retrograde rice (don’t know if results have been repeated) concluded that retrograded rice had higher resistant starch levels compared with those of common rice powder, and it lowered body weight gain and improved lipid profiles and gut function in rats.

You can read that report here if you like: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296917/

Again - well done you.

Thanks @dunelm

Just read the report.

So, simply put, the rice was heated/cooked 3 times and cooled 3 times and that reduced the starch content. About a third I think it said.

I did a wee bit of research online, and it seems that depending on local cooking processes and times and whether oil was added to the water and more stuff etc etc also can reduce the starch somewhat.

I will look into that further later today.

Thanks for the potato hint.

>^..^<

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher well done for stepping away from the late night choc and just having two roasties at lunch I try to stick to one but Christmas is two and roast parsnip. I dont test that day!
I am going down to my friend in Kent tomo and we are having our annual outing to a marvellous garden centre and I’m staying overnight. Lookng forward to a good girly catch up. OH has plans to cook liver for supper which I wont have in the house so all happy.
Have a great Friday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

Thank you @PenguinMum :)

You have a great weekend and enjoy yourself!

>^..^<

Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A pleasing 5.3 this morning, probably because of champagne yesterday celebrating clear scan. I’m cancer free and have 6 more months of happiness ahead. It’s difficult to describe how that feels.
Just to bring me down to earth with a bump I checked Patient Access for my blood results last night. Lo and behold HbA1c had gone up to 41 so I am clinging to non- diabetic status by the skin of my teeth! Time to throw off my slapdash ways and start keeping proper records again.
@gennepher well done on your restraint yesterday with your roast/ afternoon tea. Very impressive.

@DJC3 Congratulations! Enjoy your happiness :) :) :)

I think we probably all need to keep our own proper records to keep this diabetic monster under control But it can get tiring.

Thanks for the compliment!

>^..^<

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm I loved the story of your grandad’s suit and can imagine the horror that would invoke in a teenage boy.
In the grand scheme of things all results are great. You are still non D and you know what to do and I think you have had a lot of stress lately so it will all be fine. Enjoy the weekend with Dennis and the family.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...slightly hung over today friends for dinner last night as it was such a lovely evening we ate in the garden... dinner followed by (several) Gin & Tonics.. a wonderful cool breeze good food & conversation so possibly I hadn't noticed my glass was being refilled;)...later caught up with an old friend we chatted on the phone until 01:30...will have to make a major effort to get the bin out for emptying I can't miss the highlight of the week...woke to a 6.8

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @dunelm

Just read the report.

So, simply put, the rice was heated/cooked 3 times and cooled 3 times and that reduced the starch content. About a third I think it said.

I did a wee bit of research online, and it seems that depending on local cooking processes and times and whether oil was added to the water and more stuff etc etc also can reduce the starch somewhat.

I will look into that further later today.

Thanks for the potato hint.

>^..^<

I just kept it simple when I did it - boil potatoes, shove in fridge overnight, roast in oven for dinner or mash and make potato cakes - good luck.

Reactions: HarryBeau

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just kept it simple when I did it - boil potatoes, shove in fridge overnight, roast in oven for dinner or mash and make potato cakes - good luck.
When I prep veg for Christmas Day by necessity its done morning of day before and potatoes soak in big bucket of water in the garage for 24 hours. I am always surprised when I rinse them off before cooking how much starchy water gets left in the bucket so maybe theres a trick there!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
fbg 7.3

An amazing downturn again.

Warning...this is a bit of a long post About what i think is the reason for this going down of my fbg (and my during the day numbers)...maybe make a coffee first if you want to read further.

I have been making more notes and stuff in my notebook. And trying to design a spreadsheet to help with what I want to make concise notes on. The spreadsheet has been developing for a week now. So I will draw the final copy out today on an A4 sheet of paper. It is a weekly spreadsheet. And I will photocopy it. I don't crunch data and do statistics, but I like a more visual way of seeing my data.

The main thing for this reduction in fbg ( and other daily numbers) appears to be by eating everything before midday. And absolutely nothing after midday. Not even a packet of pork scratchings, not even a piece of chocolate, not even a babybel cheese.

Depending on my day, whether I am at home or going out etc, determines when in the morning I eat the bulk of my food.

If I have to go out, and I am going out by myself then I eat the bulk of my morning food for breakfast. Maybe pop a babybel or two in my bag for midmorning.

If I am going out to meet friends, then wherever we meet (it is usually in the morning, but not always), I have to make sure beforehand that I can choose the food I have decided is the best for my diabetes and blood sugar.

I am meeting friends tomorrow and they wanted the afternoon teas (all those cream cakes, and no I dont fancy them or even hanker for them, but it's at 2 pm), so there is absolutely nothing there for me, so I renegotiated with them and we have agreed to meet at 12:30. So I will have the roast lunch minus potatoes and they will have a coffee. Then at 2pm they can have their afternoon tea and I will have a pot of tea. it is in a location where any of us can wander off during the afternoon (it's a fabric and craft mills)to do a little shopping or look around. And I think it is better than everyone sitting round an afternoon tea afternoon finally getting bored, and possibly thinking thank goodness we can go home now (I know I do, and some people go silent for a bit and fidgety). This is the first time I have been assertive as this and stated my needs (I did initially say I wouldn't go so they could have their afternoon tea, but they said no we wil find a compromise). So I will be eating a wee bit later, but not so much that it will impact on my readings or GERD for an odd occasion. I will probably have a breakfast of scrambled eggs and cheese first thing.

I have also renegotiated with another friend who i meet for a meal about locations and time. I have come up with some new places which satisfies her need for browsing in shops. (I absolutely hate browsing in shops, especially clothes, she tries all this stuff on with no intention to buy, but we all have to compromise somewhere)

So, if I am at home for the day, then all my food is eaten before midday. Depending on how my body feels that day, then i will have the bulk of the morning's food at breakfast. Or two smaller meals before midday. Either way seems to work in stabilising blood sugars.

I do live on my own, only have to see to myself as regards food, so this is probably easier for me than most of you. You have families, partners, probably frequent family gatherings. It must be very hard. I just have to deal with myself and my own mindset, which can be nuisance at times, but if I am 'strict' with myself, at least at this stage, then I still have room for experimentation adding different foods, but still sticking to my before 12 noon rule of eating.

I have written this as record to myself, as well, for my journey in this.

Also I am losing weight on a daily basis by eating everything before noon.

I was eating the same amount of food before, but spreading further into the afternoon probably up to about 3 pm. And I was not losing any weight with that time window even if i didnt start to eat until 11am.

I don't understand how I can lose weight just by eating the same foods, but in an earlier time window, the morning, but that is what is happening.

Anything can change in diabetes. But I hope this way of eating continues for me.

I did read somewhere that when you get your blood sugar under control, then the weight will naturally fall off. I can't remember the exact explanation but it was something to do with the body using the sugar input more correctly (bad explanation, but best I can do).

Thank you for reading. I will go and make a coffee, and then come back and edit any mistakes or spelling mistakes or predictive text mistakes (predictive text can make a whole different story to what you are actually writing, and I am typing from a separate keyboard to my iPad with my eyes shut, a longer post is hard to write for me, strains my eyes).

So back in a bit to check.

Take care.

>^..^<
We can all learn from posts like this. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Reactions: Shas3 and jjraak

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My new DN is young enthusiastic and knows a bit about the success of low carb. We had a good conversation, she agreed starches arent good but as regards offering meters on dx she said it would be too costly. She and her mum are currently doing the Mosely 800 cal diet for her mum to lose weight (neither Diabetic) but she said they feel hungry a lot of the time. I pointed her to this website which she agreed was far more informative than the other one. She concluded that most of her older patients just dont want to give up the basics (ie. bread, potatoes) so she encourages them to cut back. All interesting! I got a smiley sticker btw.
They dont want to give them up as they think taking the meds enables them to eat anything they like with no adverse effects. If the complications were emphasised we might see more success stories.

Reactions: jjraak

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As we know not in the long term Pm...how short sighted many of our HCP's are we all know how debilitating diabetic complications are and of course how costly they are in addition to the psychological/societal damage they cause...the positive effect of testing our BG's should be recognised & offered on prescription to those who want to test.
I'm wondering if a change.org could be started. Most on this forum would sign I'm sure. Then we can all throw it around on our social media links.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm wondering if a change.org could be started. Most on this forum would sign I'm sure. Then we can all throw it around on our social media links.
Thats a good idea Debs but ref my post above talking with my new DN, what I saw on the Desmond course, etc I think we are not going to persuade a lot of folk in the older sector who cant envisage a meal without carbs and those that arent that bothered..one chap on my course c.70? Said “if this doesn't get me something else will”. I think there is a lot of fingers in ears and la la la. Its still worth giving hope to people though as so many get dxd younger and could be persuaded its worthwhile. Btw this is just my experience and no way reflects on the seniors I have met on the forum who are so enlightened and enthusiastic and have taught me a thing or two. Hey at 61 I guess I’m a senior now, just because I have two kids in their 20s I always feel middle-aged lol.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its a thought Debs however due to my technological incompetence I'd have no idea how to do that...testing strips on prescription is something I feel strongly about...my own GP said he would prescribe them but said our local CCG would stop/question that so I challenged the CCG...read the NICE guide lines & the minutes of the CCG meetings where they discussed this issue in detail.. wrote to them.finally they conceded and I have had testing strips & a meter on prescription ever since...no doubt the issue will arise at some future point but it can be done.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think there is a lot of fingers in ears and la la la.
I agree PM I have a friend who is in the most terrible mess with her T2...on ever increasing amounts of insulin has multiple complications badly advised initially she is now so far 'down the track' she believes she can't recover any ground..when we discussed her treatment she told me a 'trouble shooter' was brought in specially to address her lack of control insulin was prescribed then increased regularly...my friend had no idea what an HbA1c test was obviously she must had them but had never the result...she came to the DESMOND course with me...one of the facilitators was the 'trouble shooter' she saw from her surgery...after the course I could see why she was in such a mess...her view 'doctor knows best' is how she manages her diabetes & she refuses to make any changes at all.