What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A pleasing 5.3 this morning, probably because of champagne yesterday celebrating clear scan. I’m cancer free and have 6 more months of happiness ahead. It’s difficult to describe how that feels.
Just to bring me down to earth with a bump I checked Patient Access for my blood results last night. Lo and behold HbA1c had gone up to 41 so I am clinging to non- diabetic status by the skin of my teeth! Time to throw off my slapdash ways and start keeping proper records again.
@dunelm I loved the story of your grandad’s suit and can imagine the horror that would invoke in a teenage boy.
@gennepher well done on your restraint yesterday with your roast/ afternoon tea. Very impressive.
Just the best post to read!!! So happy for you. Champagne most certainly the best way to celebrate. And you hba1c is still well into non diabetic range so well done on that too.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its a thought Debs however due to my technological incompetence I'd have no idea how to do that...testing strips on prescription is something I feel strongly about...my own GP said he would prescribe them but said our local CCG would stop/question that so I challenged the CCG...read the NICE guide lines & the minutes of the CCG meetings where they discussed this issue in detail.. wrote to them.finally they conceded and I have had testing strips & a meter on prescription ever since...no doubt the issue will arise at some future point but it can be done.
This should be a sticky post! Great result!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree PM I have a friend who is in the most terrible mess with her T2...on ever increasing amounts of insulin has multiple complications badly advised initially she is now so far 'down the track' she believes she can't recover any ground..when we discussed her treatment she told me a 'trouble shooter' was brought in specially to address her lack of control insulin was prescribed then increased regularly...my friend had no idea what an HbA1c test was obviously she must had them but had never the result...she came to the DESMOND course with me...one of the facilitators was the 'trouble shooter' she saw from her surgery...after the course I could see why she was in such a mess...her view 'doctor knows best' is how she manages her diabetes & she refuses to make any changes at all.
It's just so sad.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 today.
Yesterdays food: breakfast = full fat Greek yogurt with a couple of blueberries @7g . Lunch = choc and nut bar from Aldi 5.9g dinner was bolognese sauce made with a jar of lloyd Grossman tomato and basil sauce, mince, onions, mushrooms, not sure of exact carbs! Served on a bed of green beans washed down by a glass of Merlot. Few extra carbs in the green beans but the wine will balance that out ;-)
No @ianpspurs I'm not in the wrong thread, I just thought I would share my days nutrition :) And to continue the theme of today's post..... This morning I've had a slice of no crust Kingsmill bread 7.4g toasted with scrambled eggs, splash of cream. Seldon have bread. But spotted this whilst looking for low carb options for BIL who is t2 but cant give up bread (or cereals!). Thought I would do BIL a favour and test to see if it's a good investment!

Currently watching peppa pig with granddaughter. This means I can catch up on forum! One eye on her, one on my mobile.

Happy Friday everyone.

Viv19

Its a thought Debs however due to my technological incompetence I'd have no idea how to do that...testing strips on prescription is something I feel strongly about...my own GP said he would prescribe them but said our local CCG would stop/question that so I challenged the CCG...read the NICE guide lines & the minutes of the CCG meetings where they discussed this issue in detail.. wrote to them.finally they conceded and I have had testing strips & a meter on prescription ever since...no doubt the issue will arise at some future point but it can be done.

My GP prescribes the testing strips and lancets but as yet we have no idea whether our health insurance will allow them. I’ve only had the tester since March so expect we’ll find out soon.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as yet we have no idea whether our health insurance will allow them.
I'm not sure how the health insurance works Viv )but some T2's I know in the states have their strips & meters supplied on their health insurance ( some are required to pay a small contribution) as many insurance companies recognise the benefits of T2's testing better managements for the recipients & cheaper in the long run for the insurance companies

Reactions: Viv19

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
t's just so sad.
It is Debs but it's not uncommon...I cannot figure out how T2 diabetes is so pitifully dealt with considering it's often identified as the impending cause of our NHS bankruptcy...given the proportion that 90% of diabetics in the UK are T2 & set to rise further still they need to invest more and give the positive news that it is possible to make changes that will lead to better control...the fatalistic 'it will get you in the end so just take the meds' needs to stop.

Reactions: Viv19

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This should be a sticky post! Great result!
It was hard work Debs...I devoured the NICE guidelines re: testing strips for T2's...I could have written a book on the CCG's meeting discussing those guidelines...they misinterpreted them woefully & it was useful to be able to quote them verbatim when I wrote to them...not everyone will want to test or will be consistent in testing however for those that do they should be able to irrespective of their financial status.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This has transmogrified into the what I wore when I were a lad thread for myself and @dunelm. Nutrition thread is third on the left and right at the end.:)
Oh dear, I'm hopeless with directions! Lived in Blackpool all my life and can still get lost !!! Where did you say again (memory of a geriatric goldfish too!!!)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was hard work Debs...I devoured the NICE guidelines re: testing strips for T2's...I could have written a book on the CCG's meeting discussing those guidelines...they misinterpreted them woefully & it was useful to be able to quote them verbatim when I wrote to them...not everyone will want to test or will be consistent in testing however for those that do they should be able to irrespective of their financial status.
I take my hat off to you. You have great drive.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bubbsie that is upsetting about your friend but you cant MAKE her change her mind. I met up recently for coffee with a group of ladies that I have known a very long time and one of their friends joined us who is Diabetic. They said to her that I am making good progress controlling D and out of interest I asked her how she coped. She literally snapped back that she had cut down on sweet stuff and that was enough for her. So convo over on that!
The old saying “you can lead the horse to water.....”

Reactions: Shas3 and Viv19

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've done a bit of research this morning on potatoes and got led to an old diabetic cookery book, published in 1916.

Since @dunelm and @PenguinMum were mentioning this earlier today, I've also included your names on here if that is okay.

I borrow online books from Archive.org

So looked on there. I found a book written by Rebecca Oppenheimer called Diabetic Cookery.

Here is the link. I hope it works.
https://archive.org/details/diabeticcookeryr00oppeiala
On page 135 she says "Peel potatoes, grate them, and let cold water run over them until all the starch has been washed out; this process takes some time.”

This particular book I was able to download a pdf and put it in my Apple Books app so I can read it any time, but other more recent books you have to borrow as in a library.

>^..^<

Update: If anyone is interested, these are the other diabetic books that came up in search at Archive.org
https://archive.org/search.php?query=Diabetic Cookery
I am going to have a peek at them now....
Another update: I cannot access the site using my phone's sim card (it tells me no internet connection, but there is, it seems others have the same problem), but as long as I am on wi fi on iPhone, iPad, or on wifi on my Android tablet the Archive.org site opens up just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This has transmogrified into the what I wore when I were a lad thread for myself and @dunelm. Nutrition thread is third on the left and right at the end.:)
When I was in juniors (primary school) it was welly boots with the tops turned right over, shorts and some short of Japanese General’s ganzey from the army and navy store.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done a bit of research this morning on potatoes and got led to an old diabetic cookery book, published in 1916.

Since @dunelm and @PenguinMum were mentioning this earlier today, I've also included your names on here if that is okay.

I borrow online books from Archive.org

So looked on there. I found a book written by Rebecca Oppenheimer called Diabetic Cookery.

Here is the link. I hope it works.
https://archive.org/details/diabeticcookeryr00oppeiala
On page 135 she says "Peel potatoes, grate them, and let cold water run over them until all the starch has been washed out; this process takes some time.

This particular book I was able to download a pdf and put it in my Apple Books app so I can read it any time, but other more recent books you have to borrow as in a library.

>^..^<

Update: If anyone is interested, these are the other diabetic books that came up in search at Archive.org
https://archive.org/search.php?query=Diabetic Cookery
I am going to have a peek at them now....
Another update: I cannot access the site using my phone's sim card (it tells me no internet connection, but there is, it seems others have the same problem), but as long as I am on wi fi on iPhone, iPad, or on wifi on my Android tablet the Archive.org site opens up just fine.

What a marvelous site. I have the Rebecca Oppenheimer book now in IBooks on my IPad and have bookmarked the second link - 45 or so books there, some available to borrow - great find @gennepher

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Out too early to even think of posting this morning but a 4.5 on my meter.
Lifeline safely fitted and all seems well. Off out for a meal to celebrate my father's and my uncles birthdays. I have solved the what do you buy for someone who doesn't want or need anything by taking them both out for a family meal!
Take care

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gennepher
As @dunelm said what a great find and thanks for the link. I will enjoy reading it when I can. Imagine the starch in potatoes was known to be a problem more than a century ago and still our Chief Medical Officer cant admit it. I often think our collective findings and observations on this forum is light years ahead of official advice.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was in juniors (primary school) it was welly boots with the tops turned right over, shorts and some short of Japanese General’s ganzey from the army and navy store.
Luxury. We shared a single welly with the nearest 3 hovels. Those who could afford to live in squalor were considered posh. (Nostalgia ain't what it used to be)

Reactions: Shas3 and Viv19