What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 - low enough to comfortably get away with a full Lidl protein roll toasted for breakfast. If only I had one left! Oh wait a minute, I cleared out my freezer yesterday and only went and found one hiding behind the ice!!! Imagine my excitement. Brought 15 back from Dublin earlier in the year (they don't sell in UK anymore sadly ).

I jumped out of bed (very unusual for me) and eagerly showered. 'I will put the kettle on' I said to hubby. 'It won't suit you' was his reply. If I had a £1 for every time I've heard that! Anyway I sprinted downstairs (i don't do running!) WHERE WAS THE ROLL I HAD LEFT ON THE WORKTOP DEFROSTING! I noticed a plate and a soup bowl. My heart sank. My son who was on a late night shift had come in, spotted it and the rest is history, including my Lidl roll. Oh well worse things happen. omelette it is then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

Eating Chinese food, and Indian is a minefield. It varies so much between different places - a safe meal in one will send bg sky high in another. Hope you enjoyed it though. I haven’t dared try since starting this woe.

I did try to pick out the veg and duck from the sauce but unless I wiped it off with a napkin that wasn’t very successful . Even scraping off the sauce, it still tasted too sweet for my adapted palate now.
We went there because some of OH’s nieces/their OHs/daughters and SIL go there on a Friday lunchtime.

Viv19

Menu just became whole lot harder. Chickens had, 1 by 1, begun roosting in trees and refused to go in to secure coop. 1 left so sourcing vaguely similar eggs an issue now. Reports say Borisa the hen said no more vassalge and a fox called Donald was eagerly waiting to devour them. It couldn't be, could it?

A friend who has chickens in her garden, and whose chooks were attacked by foxes on two separate occasions, says that she doesn’t lock them up anymore. She reckons that they are ‘sitting ducks’ (whoops) and that the fox can easily kill them all in their run, whereas if they are free they have a chance to escape.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

My sister and her friends had collections of the loops. It was like counting coup to pull the loop off the shirts of the boys they liked. By the time my age group started high school it was no longer a thing.

Reactions: Viv19 and ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did try to pick out the veg and duck from the sauce but unless I wiped it off with a napkin that wasn’t very successful . Even scraping off the sauce, it still tasted too sweet for my adapted palate now.
We went there because some of OH’s nieces/their OHs/daughters and SIL go there on a Friday lunchtime.

Sometimes it’s an impossible task. Hard not to be a difficult customer or fussy guest and most people just don’t realise the difference it makes. I certainly didn’t. But an occasional lapse, or slightly higher bg is just part of living I reckon. It could have been a lot worse looking at the carb content of most Chinese restaurant food.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last night's storm that never was. Lots of nice clouds and heat lightning but no thunder or rain.

thumbnail

Attachments

• storm1.jpg
    storm1.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 226

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Had lovely day in Kent (garden of England) friend got me some amazing things from the Lavender Fields aka The Hop Shop, some quite pure Kentish Lavender hand cream being my fave. Very naughty tonight fish and some chips for supper. Will work it off over next few days. Hope you all have had a good day.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs can you explain about your chickens? Why did they all go into trees and refuse to come to shelter and are they now lost causes?
All but 1 was eaten overnight. Over the last few weeks they have gradually, 1 by 1, been roosting in the trees at night. Nothing would get them down. Eventually only one would sleep in the coop which was secure.

Reactions: Viv19

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All but 1 was eaten overnight. Over the last few weeks they have gradually, 1 by 1, been roosting in the trees at night. Nothing would get them down. Eventually only one would sleep in the coop which was secure.

I am sad to hear about your chickens.

Reactions: gennepher

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All
Had lovely day in Kent (garden of England) friend got me some amazing things from the Lavender Fields aka The Hop Shop, some quite pure Kentish Lavender hand cream being my fave. Very naughty tonight fish and some chips for supper. Will work it off over next few days. Hope you all have had a good day.

I'm glad you had a good time. Your description of Kent as the garden of England made me think about New Jersey, the "Garden State," and wonder if it ever came close to being named after Kent instead of Jersey.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another day dawns

I am up very early so I decide to go for a walk by the beach. Fortunately I decide to take my phone and its camera along.

I am a keen amateur photographer. A hobby that has been a source of great pleasure over the years as I love travelling around Cyprus discovering new places through the unique perspective that a camera lens offers.

Yet for months now I have fealt reluctant to engage in this most favourite of activities, that eye on the world has remained firmly shut to me.

Until today.

I wish I had my proper camera along but that is just details.

Here are some of this mornings shots for you to enjoy (hopefully).

Maybe you will also see why I am always so keen to come away to our beach house on weekends.

Pavlos

PS Glucose at 6.2 this morning

20190714_063143.jpeg
20190714_063041.jpeg
20190714_063025.jpeg
20190714_062911.jpeg
20190714_062813.jpeg
20190714_062606.jpeg
20190714_062729.jpeg
20190714_061304.jpeg
20190714_062524.jpeg
20190714_062507.jpeg
20190714_060635.jpeg
20190714_062444.jpeg

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I had 120g of protein more than double what I usually eat and always - with no exceptions over the last 3 years - it raises my fbs. Except this morning! Fbs 5.0 - which is brilliant.

Just had my Portobello mushrooms and stilton and am relaxing with coffee before I start on the bacon and eggs and sausage and more mushrooms.

I'm longing for this for breaky now! Do you have 2 course breakfasts every day? I like your style and will be copying asap. Not today though as saving myself (and my carbs) as its my father in laws 90th birthday and we are taking him out for lunch. 3 courses. Maybe even 4!!! With wine or prosecco....or both! So just coffee and cream this morning for me.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best wishes to your father in law on his birthday. Enjoy your day out and remember it is a special occasion so you you are aloud a bit of a treat ( should you want one).
I'm longing for this for breaky now! Do you have 2 course breakfasts every day? I like your style and will be copying asap. Not today though as saving myself (and my carbs) as its my father in laws 90th birthday and we are taking him out for lunch. 3 courses. Maybe even 4!!! With wine or prosecco....or both! So just coffee and cream this morning for me.