Vegan/Vegetarian Products You Love and Recommend Trying!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Robinredbreast - this in the U.K. packaging for the vegan Beyond Meat beefburgers - the front says gluten and soy free as well. £5.50 in the frozen section of Tesco.

7EC0EEE6-71B4-4956-8D52-D094C50F0B78.jpeg

Tesco do Oomph too.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@Robinredbreast - this in the U.K. packaging for the vegan Beyond Meat beefburgers - the front says gluten and soy free as well. £5.50 in the frozen section of Tesco.

Tesco do Oomph too.

Our local Tesco tends to give me claustrophobia - the aisles are very high, and not very wide. I feel like they're closing in on me! I'll go if I have to, but I usually ask husband to come too.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought the Vivera shawarma kebab today and tried a piece straight from the packet to taste and my first impression is that it tastes better than regular supermarket shawarma (meat) :)
Too bad it's twice as expensive as well :(. But the difference in price between the Vivera one and the biological meat one isn't too big, and as that was the one I usually bought it's just fine.
So I'm off to make some scary garlic sauce :jimlad::hungry:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I need to explore cauliflower more. Its quite expensive fresh, is frozen cauli ok and does it need special preparation? I wasnt planning on buying it as frozen cauliflower rice, but just buy bags of frozen caulie florets.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Frozen cauliflower is great. Some say frozen is better because it’s frozen right after picking. Cauliflower rice is really good, of course I’ve been hooked on it lately. Here a bag is only 6 grams carbs and the texture is just like rice and it’s not a strong flavor! It’s sort of a pain to try to get the texture right for “rice” so you might buy it once to try it out.

It doesn’t need much of anything just cook like it says on pack or until it “soft” enough for you. It can be plain or does well with seasonings from cheese, aminos, nutritional yeast or WuTwo’s Parmegan topping is really good with it (nut and nutri yeast mix) the recipe is on a thread of its own .

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think I need to explore cauliflower more. Its quite expensive fresh, is frozen cauli ok and does it need special preparation? I wasnt planning on buying it as frozen cauliflower rice, but just buy bags of frozen caulie florets.
Don’t forget broccoli too! Both make great rice if you roast it for half an hour to dry it out a little, and I often roast big chunks of both veg in the oven until soft. Broccoli is lower in carbs than cauliflower.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t forget broccoli too! Both make great rice if you roast it for half an hour to dry it out a little, and I often roast big chunks of both veg in the oven until soft. Broccoli is lower in carbs than cauliflower.
Great - I love broccoli. I wont be buying the packs of frozen cauliflower rice already made, as it too expensive. But buying fresh or frozen florets sounds good. Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I buy a chilled container as and when I want some in Aldi - think it’s about 79p. I don’t have space in my freezer!

I have the Aldi brocoli and the cauliflower 'rice' in my freezer too, but my freezer actually needs defrosting :meh:

Reactions: Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Vegan pork scratchings! I wonder what the carb count will be? So many of the keto/low carb recipes suggest using pork scratchings ground up to make a crispy coating - wonder if it could work with these? Some “breaded” crispy spicy chunks of tofu would be amazing...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1563021390

Wow! I wonder, if they're a success in pubs, if they'll be available in shops as well. They sound interesting and I'd be happy to try them.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mel dCP I’m tagging @maglil55 who makes a very successful crispy coating using various seeds and nut flours. Might be useful if the veggie pork scratchings aren’t easy to come by.

Reactions: WuTwo

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Vegetarian Shoes, the shop in Brighton (also online). We went today, hubby (meat eater) purchased a lovely new pair of shoes there.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vegetarian Shoes, the shop in Brighton (also online). We went today, hubby (meat eater) purchased a lovely new pair of shoes there.

I noticed when last in M&S, they now have some tote bags, marked vegan.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First off. I’m not vegan or vegetarian so if anything I post upsets anyone I apologise now.
Currently on holiday and this always involves eating, lots of eating especially out.
So today was in an establishment that had a limited menu. On the menu was a “ vegan flatbread .”
My open mind decided it sounded okay and different. It was ordered and also shared with wife.
We both agreed it was really nice and tasty.
Now here is my concern. Was the marketing correct ? How many people would pass this by on the menu when they read
“ vegan?” To me it would’ve been a huge mistake not to have ordered it purely based on the fact it was marketed at a dietary belief I don’t have. Just felt the eatery was kinda shooting itself in the foot.
How should it have been marketed? Obviously this is only a light hearted question, but would just calling it a flatbread have been wrong for those following a vegan/ vegetarian diet?

Reactions: WuTwo

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
First off. I’m not vegan or vegetarian so if anything I post upsets anyone I apologise now.
Currently on holiday and this always involves eating, lots of eating especially out.
So today was in an establishment that had a limited menu. On the menu was a “ vegan flatbread .”
My open mind decided it sounded okay and different. It was ordered and also shared with wife.
We both agreed it was really nice and tasty.
Now here is my concern. Was the marketing correct ? How many people would pass this by on the menu when they read
“ vegan?” To me it would’ve been a huge mistake not to have ordered it purely based on the fact it was marketed at a dietary belief I don’t have. Just felt the eatery was kinda shooting itself in the foot.
How should it have been marketed? Obviously this is only a light hearted question, but would just calling it a flatbread have been wrong for those following a vegan/ vegetarian diet?
I suppose it depends if it was a topped bread? Did it have began cheese or meat substitutes on it? Quite often veggie things are marked V and vegan ones VV or Ve - so maybe they’ve had requests for specifically vegan dishes and they’re making a marketing feature out of it?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@therower just calling it flatbread is fine by me. Most places also use a v or ve symbol if someone is worried about specifics. Not sure about lack of popularity due to the name, most omnivores would still consider it I think.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose it depends if it was a topped bread? Did it have began cheese or meat substitutes on it? Quite often veggie things are marked V and vegan ones VV or Ve - so maybe they’ve had requests for specifically vegan dishes and they’re making a marketing feature out of it?
Ingredients were.
Bread
Avocado
Hummus
Peppers.
Really simple, really tasty and something I was glad I didn’t miss.

Reactions: WuTwo and Diakat