What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal am deeply envious of your trip!
And well done @DJC3 :D

Had a chiropractic appt earlier this week, and he kind of confirmed that the grumbling knees I have had for years are arthritis. He did lots of tests, measurements and assessing. Back next week for his treatment plan. Very impressed with him, actually.

So in the meantime, have stocked up on bone broth, and glucosamine and chondroitin, and doing my usual research thing.

So:

B: bone broth
L: bone broth
D: cheesy mince

May have Gouda, later
:D:D:D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I am so envious of you going to the Real Food Rocks festival. I see Ivor Cummings is replacing Assem Malhotra now. Should be good, have a great weekend.
My food today was CWC this morning.
L: 2 scrambled eggs and a slice of butchers roast ham (50g) then SF jelly and cream and 1 square of the gorgeous 90% American chocolate.
D:Lamb shanks cooked in IP (34 mins) with a glut of red wine and some home made chicken stock. Bay leaf, herbs some carrot and onion for Mr C. I chucked some cauliflower in for me at the end. Glass of red and a bit of Yarg afterwards

Glut of red wine? Does not compute.

Did you mean glug?

I've never actually done lamb shanks in the pot, but the gammon hocks I've done in the past for stock mainly have been fab, plus the skin I removed made fab crackling.

bachstrad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
All I've eaten is a cheese salad and my blood is 8.4 ! My GP knows nothing about keto so anyone here know anywhere I can get help?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Day 6 of getting a grip.
B. 2 slices of HiLo toast, one with crunchy peanut butter, the other with butter and vegemite. Black tea, black coffee.
5 mile walk around the Swale estuary near Faversham in Kent. Walking partner was hungry before we finished so we went to the only available pub, expensive and small portions. Doing me a favour really!
L. Undercooked whitebait and aioli, small piece of white bread and butter, diet coke.
Snack. Mixed, salted nuts, carrot batons, little bit of beetroot dip.
D. Leftover courgette frittata, boiled cauliflower, broccoli and fresh peas from the garden.
2 strawberries and Greek yoghurt.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So food today. No food tiil Milton Keynes - little known Motorhead alternative title. Awfully posh pork scratchings in the car for lunch/brunch. Not sure what they are all about bit like eating air. Buckingham to Bicester was raclette and skinny bread carefully fed by my dear sweet wife who knew how delighted I was with the whole idea of these next 2 days so played along. (Yes, I know A1 M25 is shorter but I hate the M25.) Stopped somewhere to pick up cwc with cinnamon from starbucks. Pushing my luck a bit so water and naproxen to cover the damage. Took my own ingredients and made an avocado and h/b egg (last 3 of our own ) salad. No idea what I might eat from hotel breakfast or at Peppa Pig World tomorrow - unlikely to be a very nice kind little boy by tomorrow evening. @shelley262 great Hbaca1 as usual. @DJC3 and Dennis stars of the national press. @bachstrad welcome and I would say a fair few in this thread know plenty about keto.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @bachstrad :)

Personally, I think the best foodie and keto intro site is the www.dietdoctor.com
It is a good mix of recipes, info, success stories and video
And don’t worry about paying the monthly premium. You can access a lot of the site without signing up. And if you do sign up, you get a 30 day free trial that you can cancel at any time.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All I've eaten is a cheese salad and my blood is 8.4 ! My GP knows nothing about keto so anyone here know anywhere I can get help?
Welcome - like @Brunneria, I totally agree that diet doctor.com is the way to go. I started out with the diet doctor 2 week low carb challenge.
It's free but it gives you your recipes, shopping lists etc for a full 2 weeks.
It's a good introduction to low carb/keto and it's a lot more flexible to when I did it as you can swap recipes if you dont fancy them. I would warn though that it's a lot of eating and I found myself deleting meals as it was just too much food.

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Did you mean glug?

I've never actually done lamb shanks in the pot, but the gammon hocks I've done in the past for stock mainly have been fab, plus the skin I removed made fab crackling.

Haha yes a glug of wine sorry - autocorrect, I really should check. There is never a glut of wine here, it goes too quickly.

Reactions: Viv19 and maglil55

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
18-07-19
Gosh, going home to UK in five days. No wonder he is stressed. We have to lay 25m square terratzzio tiles. Grout and seal them. Looks like motorhome maintainance isn't happening today. What else is missing today is the sunshine. After weeks of dry weather its raining, and not just a little. This complicates the job immensely. For one thing it's a bit dark, no lights in there yet. For another the tile cutter is electric, but also sprays dirty water. Needs a suitable location. Ends up just inside the barn, of course he now has to carry the huge heavy tiles to it. With his sore shoulders and twingy back, thats not good. Am amazed how he manages to cheerfully keep going. Also not good, the barn has a dirt floor, so soon we will be paddling in mud. The kitchen units have been stored in there. The columbage construction means it's very dusty, so they all need cleaning, well, secondhand they all needed that anyway, but again best not done on a dirt floor.
MrSlim is making heavy weather with the tiles, it's looking like a four day job at current rate of progress. Maybe once he is confident in this system it will be faster.
Breakfast: large handful of nuts, avocado and 2 egg omelette. Still on the lemon and ginger tea.
Coffee time, had two biscuits with my lg tea 11g carbs.
Lunch: smoked salmon, found a bargain pack, bit of baguette, salad. Lump of emmental to keep the calories up.
Mid afternoon
Smaller piece of emmental, a plain biscuit and two more of the choc ones from this morning. Silly thing is, they are not very nice, so why eat them?
More kitchen units cleaned, we seem to have an endless supply of them.
6.pm Rain has stopped. MrSlim has had enough of tiling. (Think it's probably back, shoulder and knees. Am feeling similarly about kitchen units. Without any real excuse.
Dinner is going to be a frozen lasagne, will take 55 mins to cook. So getting on with the pickled walnuts. Prod them all again, discard any hard ones. only five. Simner and boil the jars, no time for a shower now.
MrSlim, does the veg, carrots and green beans, think he is getting desperate for dinner. After all it is nearly 9pm.
Have six jars of pickled walnuts. Retrieve my dinner fron the oven, where it was keeping warm. Should really do Bg as its a new meal, but hey, now it's nearly 10pm, hope to be in bed before two hours.
So now huge pile of washing up. Eyes streaming from simmering vinegar.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Did you mean glug?

Tom Kerridge's lamb shank madras done in the IP is amazing!

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Reheated corned silverside sandwiches with HE mustard.
Dinner: Steak and veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no additives, water.

Early start today as I have a early podiatrist appointment for my 10 week feet checkup, get my toe nails cut and polished as well.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Made some changes today partly for pleasure and partly for experimentation. Had breakfast - 2 slices of well buttered skinny bread toast with 2 large mugs of tea. Can't lie, very few things I have eaten in last 4 years have given as much pleasure. Had cheese after swimming then egg (1) and avocado salad. Piece of cheddar whilst visiting no 1 son and 10 cal jelly quite late when we came home. Quite concerned by how much cheese I am eating but until gout has disappeared from rear view mirror not willing to try anything else. Who'da thunk tea and toast would have seemed such a feast.
For me it's all about the butter, toast with anything else is resistable.

Reactions: ianpspurs

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Haha yes a glug of wine sorry - autocorrect, I really should check. There is never a glut of wine here, it goes too quickly.
We have same scenario here. Never a glut of wine.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sympathies for the long drive @ianspurs but happy for you that you packed your favourite salad ingredients. Good luck with the next couple of days food.

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

Viv19

@DCUKMod and @DJC3. Thank you both for your advice. It’s really appreciated. The pot was supposed to arrive today, but then this morning they changed it to Monday. It’s soon enough.
I ordered a steamer thingummy that looked as though it would be useful, and didn’t order extra seals. ;)) it will be interesting to play with it.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on a mini catch up as I've been out of circulation with the boys here while Mum & Dad went off to Manchester to see Book of Mormon (which I've been told was hilarious). Just worked my way through a myriad of posts what with @ianpspurs going through the town of the concrete cows and many identical roundabouts and Peppa Pig world? I share your joy with buttered toast. Will be making another loaf tomorrow having taken delivery of another 10 packs. @shelley262 - great results. Well done! @Goonergal - enjoy the festival. @Viv19 - I've seen the Money Pit more than once and I still laugh at it. The building crew are really funny. Welcome to the potter cult. You'll soon wonder what you did without it. I too bought extra seals but haven't used them yet. I do also have a silicon steamer and a silicon trivet with handles.
Tuesday
Bed 7.2 FBG 8.2 - no idea why but it returned to normal levels after.
Up bright and early to deposit Mum & Dad at the station and then get the boys to lunch Club.
B. TAG with ADOC and a slice of Skinny Bread toasted with lurpack.
L. Before getting the boys - 2 scrambled eggs with a slice of smoked salmon.
Blackmailed the boys into coming with me to M&S with a promise of a toy from Smyths as a reward for good behaviour. Also ended up with mini M&S Shopping Trolleys from their Little Shop promotion and the first of the mini groceries.
D. By the time I fed everyone else, got the boys ready then bedded down I was almost past eating but had a burrata, 4 mini tomatoes, spoonful of anchovies, spoonful of pickled peppers and a couple of roasted artichokes. Yet another creme brulee.

No 2 was asleep by 8pm tonight thanks to the kids bedtime meditation stories - trouble was I was almost out for the count too.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Lots of travel today. London to Newcastle for work, Newcastle to Lancaster via Carlisle to check out my former Uni town 30+ years later. Tomorrow to Ambleside for Real Food Rocks on Saturday - really looking forward to it @DJC3 and @Brunneria - and hugs for the arthritic knees Brunneria.

@Tipetoo today’s photo is MUCH nicer than the spider

@shelley262 great HbA1c

@bachstrad welcome - another vote for the dietdoctor.com website

Food today a bit of a mixture. Bacon, egg and sausage on the train. Lunch in Newcastle - Five Guys and Hotel Chocolat conveniently close for a combo of a bunless cheeseburger with a bit of onion and mayonnaise and some 70% hazelnut chocolate.

Dinner was an assortment picked up at Newcastle and Carlisle stations. M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos, Awfully Posh Pork crackling (very surprised to find that in WH Smith) and some salted peanuts.

Currently downing copious cold drinks in the hottest hotel I’ve been in outside the tropics.