What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tested my bg and its 4.9. Now I never get below 5 and I often test at this time of day in preparation for what I should eat for supper. I had a not especially lc lunch but what I am wondering is if h/m dishes (quiche in this case) are more lc than factory produced. I have had a small amount of m&s quiche previously and it did raise my bg for hours.
I wonder if there are things lurking in commercial items that arent in h/m versions that make a difference.

Reactions: Viv19 and ianpspurs

Viv19

I am a bit jealous about the IP. Can you let me know how you get on with it? One of the issues I had was we are trying to downsize and dont know what sort of situation I will find myself in. Though I am very aware that if we need to put in a new kitchen the IP could be our saviour while its happening.
There is no comparison between h/m quiche and shop bought IMO my friend was fine about me leaving the crust and the base was very thin but she did give me a generous slice filled with roasted tomatoes and basil. Glorious. Havent tested bg probably best for now.

Yes I’ll keep you informed! DCUK Mod mentioned a water test - hope it comes with all simple instructions for my aged brain. I am looking forward to using it even though we are usually just two. I usually cook Bolognese sauce, chilli con carne, assorted goulasch for a couple of hours in the oven for really good results so that’s already happening one direction I can use it.
Grey cells are fairly overloaded right now. So it might only have the simplest of uses at first.

Viv19

Today.
Woke with awful back pain so breakfast was tea and ibuprofen.
Lunch was 2 slices Lc bread with assorted cheese, 4 cherry toms. Yoghurt with berries. Tea
This afternoon I caved in - cwc woke me up finally.
White wine spritzer and 2 baby bels
Dinner, later than usual at home. Mixed salad (leaves, cucumber, mushrooms, tom, red onion slices) with jerk seasoned chicken slice fried. Dukkah on top (nut/seasoning mix) plus Parmesan shavings. What you might call fusion cooking. ;)))) I like my food well seasoned!
A glass of unadulterated Sauvignon Blanc. Good stuff for warmer weather.
No gym or walking (shoes still make the stupid toe shout) but a few hours of contortions wielding a paint brush. Pleased with our progress.

Viv19

Just tested my bg and its 4.9. Now I never get below 5 and I often test at this time of day in preparation for what I should eat for supper. I had a not especially lc lunch but what I am wondering is if h/m dishes (quiche in this case) are more lc than factory produced. I have had a small amount of m&s quiche previously and it did raise my bg for hours.
I wonder if there are things lurking in commercial items that arent in h/m versions that make a difference.

Home made food is definitely more ‘honest’ without all the preservatives that bought versions need. I keep thinking of a beautiful salmon and broccoli deep pan quiche - I would love to eat that now- with the light buttery pastry of course. :)))
It’s a problem- I just like my food! And I enjoy cooking.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Warm sunny day hereabouts and hopefully in your whereabouts. Just tea for B which Ianp likes best. Earlyish lunch to allow me to test before an appointment. Toasted and well buttered skinny bread and tea. Highly enjoyable even though both myself and Julie detected an initial taste of apricot. One of the ingredients is apricot kernel flour. Attended appointment then came home and ate Fage 5% and 10 cal jelly followed by some comte - doh! Evening meal was the 3 hb egg and avocado salad with chia seeds to which I am attached.
Appointment went well. I learned the phrase solar keratosis horn. I like the idea of being a unicorn. Dermatologist said no problem but will remove it surgically and test to be safe. Hope it doesn't ruin my Hollywood career:angelic:

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Day 5 of more mindful eating. Sunny morning but cooler and more grey now.
B. Boiled egg on buttered, Vegemited HiLo toast. Black tea, black coffee.
30 minute walk to restaurant.
L. Black bean chilli, sour cream, handful of nachos, black coffee, water.
20 minute walk home by shorter route.
Snack. Salted, mixed nuts, tea
D. Mackerel fillet, 2 Tuscan bites, salad of leaves, grilled artichokes, olives, tomatoes, avocado.
3 strawberries, Greek yoghurt.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 i remember when my youngest told me that his puppy Cooper had done well and graduated from puppy school - made me laugh, even puppies have graduation ceremonies now!he won the award for the friendliest puppy. Hope you’re saving up for the cap and gown hire! Seriously well done Dennis.
Early start into brum to see friend so just coffee and cream
Lunch in John Lewis took some nuts, cheese and 100% choc to have with my coffee
Dinner two lamb chops, cauliflower cheese and asparagus with white wine with soda water, pudding lastof rhubarb mousse with spoon of yoghurt and cream also coffee and bit more choc.
Still no results online - my dn appointment is in the am though so should hear then! They seem to hold them back at my surgery until your actual appt. would prefer to have before so could think about my responses after all it’s a partnership? I’m taking in some NICE materials from Dr Unwin for her that I have from the PHC hoping she’ll use them.........

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I’ll keep you informed! DCUK Mod mentioned a water test - hope it comes with all simple instructions for my aged brain. I am looking forward to using it even though we are usually just two. I usually cook Bolognese sauce, chilli con carne, assorted goulasch for a couple of hours in the oven for really good results so that’s already happening one direction I can use it.
Grey cells are fairly overloaded right now. So it might only have the simplest of uses at first.

Viv - Could I suggest you join the Facebook official IP UK group? It really is excellent, and it's a bit like here for the IP. There's alsways someone around - now and very experienced to answer any queries, or I'll help where I can, obviously.

I'm no fan of Facebook (or FaceAche as we call it at home), but it was worth joining that group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotUKCommunity/?ref=bookmarks

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @DJC3 and @Dr Snoddy I definitely need to join you both in reigning in eating, but that will have to wait until after the Real Food Rocks Festival this weekend.

Eaten far too much the past couple of days. Yesterday involved bacon and eggs 3 times, plus rather too much almond butter and cream and a few nuts. Today lunch was smoked salmon and whipped creamy cheese with some macadamias and salted almonds and way too much Hotel Chocolat chocolate (all day meeting around the corner from HC). Dinner tried out a new Greek takeaway and had a box of mixed pork and chicken gyros (no bread) with onion followed by a whipped cream and cocoa dessert.

@shelley262 good luck tomorrow

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Evening all. @DJC3 and @Dr Snoddy I definitely need to join you both in reigning in eating, but that will have to wait until after the Real Food Rocks Festival this weekend.

Eaten far too much the past couple of days. Yesterday involved bacon and eggs 3 times, plus rather too much almond butter and cream and a few nuts. Today lunch was smoked salmon and whipped creamy cheese with some macadamias and salted almonds and way too much Hotel Chocolat chocolate (all day meeting around the corner from HC). Dinner tried out a new Greek takeaway and had a box of mixed pork and chicken gyros (no bread) with onion followed by a whipped cream and cocoa dessert.

@shelley262 good luck tomorrow
Unfortunately lots of what you ate today sounds really tempting. I am going to the National Geographic International Food Festival this weekend so mindful eating might suffer! Enjoy your food festival!!

Reactions: DJC3 and Viv19

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately lots of what you ate today sounds really tempting. I am going to the National Geographic International Food Festival this weekend so mindful eating might suffer! Enjoy your food festival!!

Enjoy - sounds fun.

Have realised I forgot to list several items, namely packets of Whisps.....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over cauliflower rice kedgeree followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coconut chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: chicken, coconut and lemongrass stir fry followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Viv19

This is totally off the subject. But has anybody ever seen a movie called The Money Pit? With a very young Tom Hanks, it’s basically very funny slapstick comedy. Not my usual kind of thing, but it makes me laugh, even having seen it before. If you’re having a bad day I recommend it.
It just came up on Netflix.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m quite excited waiting for my Instant Pot. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Throwing things in and cooking for the freezer suits my way of thinking.
I used to make quiche quite often- the pastry was something that I worked hard at to get light, without soggy bottoms, and I liked eating that as much as the filling.

You can do crustless quiche, and/or @Rachox 's egg bites in your cauldron.

You'll soo be looking at silicone moulds and steamer baskets in a whole new way. :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
62D93B8F-AA74-4AAC-BD9A-5F09972E22F7.jpeg
You can do crustless quiche, and/or @Rachox 's egg bites in your cauldron.

You'll soo be looking at silicone moulds and steamer baskets in a whole new way. :)

I love my silicone moulds! :)

Reactions: Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 good to hear about Dennis at school. Has he got homework?
I like the sound of and carb count of the Masala salmon burgers. Will seek them out, are they new?

Yes he has tons of homework but is trying to skive off now.
I think the masala burgers are new, they were part of the 3 for £10 deal and come in packs of 2. Very tasty, my youngest daughter had the other and loved it - she thought they were homemade and asked for the recipe!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m quite excited waiting for my Instant Pot. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Throwing things in and cooking for the freezer suits my way of thinking.
I used to make quiche quite often- the pastry was something that I worked hard at to get light, without soggy bottoms, and I liked eating that as much as the filling.

I’m looking forward to hearing what your first IP meal will be.

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes he has tons of homework but is trying to skive off now.
I think the masala burgers are new, they were part of the 3 for £10 deal and come in packs of 2. Very tasty, my youngest daughter had the other and loved it - she thought they were homemade and asked for the recipe!
Thanks will seek them out though my Simply M&S may not have them! Probably the homework more pressure for you than Dennis! Loved the sound of your walks yesterday.

Reactions: DJC3 and gennepher

Viv19

@DCUKMod, @Rachox, I’m really looking forward to trying this ‘cauldron’ out. There are those who might say that cauldron was exactly the correct description. But I don’t listen to them.
I do have a question. On the reviews on Amazon, a few people said that some food can make the seals smell of that food - I imagine curries etc - and that extra seals should be bought. I had the impression that the smell wears off eventually. Have you found this? Should I order extra seals? And any ‘impossible to do without’ extras?

Reactions: gennepher