WHAT TO DRINK IN A PUB

toonerwife

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi can anyone help me im going out for my birthday tomorrow but want something cold to drink other than water only snag is it has to be sugar free and caffeine free any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dry red wine, any unsweetened spirit with water or seltzer.
( vodka, rum, gin, whiskey,bourbon, tequila) just now juice or sweet mixers.
You can have a lemon or lime in it.

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's why j said unsweetened spirits. Nothing with cinnamon or other flavors as they're usually sweetened. I favor absolut citron with water and a lemon. Very refreshing. Or red wine

Reactions: 4 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Happy birthday for tomorrow, @toonerwife !

If I'm driving I go for just a slimline tonic with a slice of lemon or lime - or indeed both. Do check the brand of tonic, though, and get them to serve you the actual bottle with the glass on the side, for slimline double-checking purposes.

The brand of tonic is important, because Fevertree's slimline tonic has carbs, Schweppes does not. I've been caught out with this before.

Enjoy your birthday!

:)

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If the pub has 7-Up Free, that's what I would drink. It does have sweeteners but no sugar (afaik)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Happy birthday @toonerwife

Best wishes.

It's great to see you getting out and about, so you must be feeling a bit better!

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Toonerwife, I have found some lagers do not spike me, but I drink very seldom and half a pint at most, some may have only 3 grams of carb. Worth a little research, there are Atkins sites on the net that list them. Heinekin light has only 3grams of carb. Have a good birthday . atb Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Hi, have recently stopped smoking and drinking due to being Diabetic 2 and fear of high blood sugars & eye problems...any ideas what to drink instead of just plain water when out with friends...Thanks....x

Reactions: 1spuds

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I will have diet coke with 3 wedges of lemon and lime if I am in a pub, with Ice..Especially in this heat. Some pubs do diet Fanta. I will sometimes have that with a couple of wedges of lemon and lime, Ice and a shot of vodka in. This heat I wont touch wine as I find it makes me feel even hotter.

Reactions: 1spuds

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi can anyone help me im going out for my birthday tomorrow but want something cold to drink other than water only snag is it has to be sugar free and caffeine free any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

I am ok on extra dry Martini and soda water at the moment but always have a nibble with it e.g. olives

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Toonerwife, I have found some lagers do not spike me, but I drink very seldom and half a pint at most, some may have only 3 grams of carb. Worth a little research, there are Atkins sites on the net that list them. Heinekin light has only 3grams of carb. Have a good birthday . atb Derek

I would love to drink the occasional glass of lager. The last one gave me a full blown hypo but I didn’t eat with it so that was entirely my fault!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would love to drink the occasional glass of lager. The last one gave me a full blown hypo but I didn’t eat with it so that was entirely my fault!
Lager is chock full of sugars, carbs, which turns to glucose very quickly. Beer is called liquid bread because of the amount.
Regardless of eating, you still would have triggered a hypo!

If your liver can't cope with alcohol, because of your condition, it is advisable to be very careful with alcohol in most forms.

Best wishes

Reactions: KarenTh