Type 1'stars R Us

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
not sure if anybody is interested but at the meet up in crewe last saturday there was a combined total of 327 years of T1d experience from the 14 T1d's that attended

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
not sure if anybody is interested but at the meet up in crewe last saturday there was a combined total of 327 years of T1d experience from the 14 T1d's that attended

I'm sure many T 1's would be interested and I hope the day went very well :)

Reactions: Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
My parents and I usually pop into an asian super market to get certain types of rices and spices. :D

Ours closed down a few years ago. We have a Polish supermarket but they're really into spicy sausages and stuff.... Not quite our scene.

I miss our Asian supermarket!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ours closed down a few years ago. We have a Polish supermarket but they're really into spicy sausages and stuff.... Not quite our scene.

I miss our Asian supermarket!
We have a small Eastern European shop and it's a sausage fest in there. :hilarious:
I know a fair amount of Asian supermarkets are not doing well in this economy because a lot of imported items are very expensive. Theres this Vietnamese mung bean cake that I love and it's £7-8 here. When my dad went to Vietnam, it's less than £1.50. :arghh::banghead:

Reactions: WuTwo and SueJB

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Elvis is Taking Care of Business.
ummmm......what happens when Elvis leaves the building?!!!!!!

4.2 this morning, yesterday I was sailing on calm waters with perfect numbers all day then got home to find the wife decided we're having pizza for tea/dinner/supper, wasn't too bad peaked at 10.something before bed, perhaps I should have doen a correction when I tested at 9.something before then but I still had some IOB at the time. Pizza!:sour:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Blimey - it seems sitting around all day for three days in a row is more exhausting than my usual levels of activity.

Woke up to the alarm, turned over went back to sleep, woke up again to the bladder alarm, did basal and breakfast bolus before another hour's snooze and finally made it out of bed to breakfast.

Sitting contemplating what to do with the day now... not sure I've got enough energy to move far yet. It may also depend on whether that unintentional breakfast pre-bolus is causing chaos and if I need second breakfast before either tackling the grass and weeds, the shopping, or abandoning any pretence at being a responsible adult and toddling off to spend this year's pay rise once I've checked just how much I've got this time. (We always seem to get a back-dated lump sum amount around now. I'm not over-excited about it as our pay rises haven't kept up with price rises for quite some time now.)

Reactions: hh1 and SueJB

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@ert quote: Oh, is anyone else excited about the cricket starting today?

Erm, no, I don't mind playing it, as kids we used to play it outside my mum and dad's house, by the garages and mark the walls with chalk wickets :oops::angelic: but watching it .................... zzzzzzzz

It's worth me knowing about it as I regularly walk in the general area of Edgbaston and the cricket ground and prefer not to when major matches are being played! Not least because my best sunny day hat is of a variety which has people assuming I am on my way to or from the cricket and I've had to fend off drunken incredulity that I really don't have any interest.

It's also worth keeping up with the score as a vast number of my friends do care about it in a way I don't.

But, personally, no, I don't care about it. Except for the historic occasion last year where Scotland Beat England at cricket. I was very, very excited then.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the sensor was too busy illustrating the difference between spikes (of 35.1) and high plateaus. I decided to go sensorless for a couple of days.

That sensor sounds like it was a bit stressed, and might have benefited from a massage. We'll never know now though, and my extremely dodgy theory on Libre sensor having feelings will stay unproven.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
ummmm......what happens when Elvis leaves the building?!!!!!!

4.2 this morning, yesterday I was sailing on calm waters with perfect numbers all day then got home to find the wife decided we're having pizza for tea/dinner/supper, wasn't too bad peaked at 10.something before bed, perhaps I should have doen a correction when I tested at 9.something before then but I still had some IOB at the time. Pizza!:sour:
I go old school!

@Knikki - not bad, had a chap “vomiting coffee grounds”, which was fun. We think it was a bleed from a hernia he’d had treated a while ago. Para took his BG, and it was 6.2 - his partner was convinced that was terribly high (he’s not diabetic) - and he reassured her that anywhere between 4 and 12 was normal! Not in my body it ain’t. I didn’t say anything but was internally raising my eyebrows. She seems to think it should be about 2-3, so there's a lot of misinformation out there, it seems.

Steady in the fives overnight, just off to sewing club and then on call again. Getting as much experience as I can over the holidays. Have a good one, my lovelies.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
The black rice leaves the cooking water a dark, dark really intense purple and the rice itself is so dark it looks black (but is a deep purple really. We get it from Sainsburys! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_rice

I've not tried the red rice. Must get some!
I cook Basmati rice to go with the curries my OH loves (rice is off the menu for me, I'm afraid). I've never tried cooking other rice types. Would they go with Thai curries?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning teabags,
Favourite word from catch up session - diasoddingbetes. Yup. It’s proving harder than a hard thing to beat the morning lows and the late day rises. Just have to keep focussed, with the addition of a few choice words, sit back, let adjustments bed. I really just want to be left on a foreign beach with sounds of the sea, perfect climate and no need to calculate.
Been pondering anthropomorphism. I don’t use it as a flight from reality but as a way of viewing reality. Hamish isn’t me, it’s a couple of bits of titanium and wear-resistant plastic, but it’s my own body that had work to do to accommodate it, and it was painful. It helped to give it a name that reminded me it was other.
T1 is me, double cat, no tatty ones onboard. Real cat had a visit to the vet again yesterday after a lovely lump of blood in the poo. Yuk. Poor cat. He’s been expensively treated, irritatingly just £3 above the insurance excess. He’s big, and heavy, and the carrying of cat in a box from house to car then car to vet was tough. Where’s Schrodinger when you need him? Cat’s still very much alive though, he sang all the way there and all the way back. Do you need another band member @Jaylee?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I saw the needle and thought of what T1s in ye olden days had to cope with.
Vet said the steroid injection might or might not work. I valued his honesty and loved his teddy bear bow tie. Serious and fun.
Had to take my badge off and I know why. Scary!
Going to force myself into the garden, no sun, no energy or I could go back to bed
"Vomiting coffee grounds" @Mel dCP sounds awful
Really lucky in Oxford @WuTwo @MeiChanski as there are Asian, Indian, Polish so I can get most things
Girding loins, got to, vet said there's muscle wastage. I wonder if it's edible

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@ert nope I have no interest in cricket. Himself watched the last 45 minutes of the World Cup and kept saying "I never knew cricket could be so exciting" and then I reminded him it was 45 minutes of excitement out of 45 days of sport.

I love actual test cricket - don't mind the one days but can't abide the 20 20 cricket where there's no time to get into it before it's over.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw the needle and thought of what T1s in ye olden days had to cope with.
Vet said the steroid injection might or might not work. I valued his honesty and loved his teddy bear bow tie. Serious and fun.
Had to take my badge off and I know why. Scary!
Going to force myself into the garden, no sun, no energy or I could go back to bed
"Vomiting coffee grounds" @Mel dCP sounds awful
Really lucky in Oxford @WuTwo @MeiChanski as there are Asian, Indian, Polish so I can get most things
Girding loins, got to, vet said there's muscle wastage. I wonder if it's edible

Love the sound of the doctor's bow tie. Can't you get yourself a 4, 6, and a 7 badge, they are just as virtuous, and you could have different colours, and they'd look pretty "all in a row".

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I cook Basmati rice to go with the curries my OH loves (rice is off the menu for me, I'm afraid). I've never tried cooking other rice types. Would they go with Thai curries?

Totally! Takes a little longer to cook and it is done when the texture is chewy. It's chewy but doesn't have that hard little bit in the middle that not quite cooked rice gets.

It is one of the highest anti-oxidant foodstuffs available, chockful of potassium, good source of protein and iron. Not like ordinary rice which is a mouthful of carb and not a lot else. The deep purple colouring in it comes from the anthocyanins it contains which are a known anti-cancer agent and do other good things - anti inflammatory and anti viral benefits.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Steroids can raise blood sugars, @SueJB, so don’t panic if you see them go up.
I suppose in the old days we didn’t know there’d be smaller, finer needles, pumps that didn’t require Olympic levels of strength to carry around and ways of testing blood and interstitial sugars that didn’t mean regularly stabbing our selves so we were generally unfazed. Like Knikki, I didn’t bother with the big old finger pricked machine, just aim and and stabbed.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most certainly, A good Thai coconut curry with black or red rice is very yummy. :hungry:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB fairgodmother beat me to it, don't be surprised if your BGs are high for 'no apparent reason' after the steroid injection! One of the reasons I didn't go through with it a few years ago and my shoulder had started to ease by the time my GP said about the injection anyway.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Para took his BG, and it was 6.2 - his partner was convinced that was terribly high (he’s not diabetic) - and he reassured her that anywhere between 4 and 12 was normal! Not in my body it ain’t.
I can imagine how 4-12 is normal in paramedic terms, as they usually check bg of people in great bodily distress with illnesses and stuff. And possibly also normal as in 'this is not an emergency situation'. Should I be vomiting coffee grounds, having a heart attack or a burst appendix, and a bg of 11.8 I wouldn't in any way expect a diabetes team next to my bed upon arriving in the hospital.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I love actual test cricket - don't mind the one days but can't abide the 20 20 cricket where there's no time to get into it before it's over.

Cricket commentary:
Well, I would say that things could only get better as Warner should have been out the first ball, but he wasn't as the umpire didn't see that he nicked the ball and was caught behind. But he's out for 2 on ball 14 LBW. The video replay showed he wasn't out this time. Restorative justice? Lots of cheering. Me: I'm covering my ears. (I don't have Sky TV.)

I want to buy tickets for Lords. They only have blocks unseated 5 and 6 left? Does anyone know if they're any good?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison54321