1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Blimey - it seems sitting around all day for three days in a row is more exhausting than my usual levels of activity.

Woke up to the alarm, turned over went back to sleep, woke up again to the bladder alarm, did basal and breakfast bolus before another hour's snooze and finally made it out of bed to breakfast.

Sitting contemplating what to do with the day now... not sure I've got enough energy to move far yet. It may also depend on whether that unintentional breakfast pre-bolus is causing chaos and if I need second breakfast before either tackling the grass and weeds, the shopping, or abandoning any pretence at being a responsible adult and toddling off to spend this year's pay rise once I've checked just how much I've got this time. (We always seem to get a back-dated lump sum amount around now. I'm not over-excited about it as our pay rises haven't kept up with price rises for quite some time now.)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Japes

It's worth me knowing about it as I regularly walk in the general area of Edgbaston and the cricket ground and prefer not to when major matches are being played! Not least because my best sunny day hat is of a variety which has people assuming I am on my way to or from the cricket and I've had to fend off drunken incredulity that I really don't have any interest.

It's also worth keeping up with the score as a vast number of my friends do care about it in a way I don't.

But, personally, no, I don't care about it. Except for the historic occasion last year where Scotland Beat England at cricket. I was very, very excited then.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That sensor sounds like it was a bit stressed, and might have benefited from a massage. We'll never know now though, and my extremely dodgy theory on Libre sensor having feelings will stay unproven.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I go old school!

@Knikki - not bad, had a chap “vomiting coffee grounds”, which was fun. We think it was a bleed from a hernia he’d had treated a while ago. Para took his BG, and it was 6.2 - his partner was convinced that was terribly high (he’s not diabetic) - and he reassured her that anywhere between 4 and 12 was normal! Not in my body it ain’t. I didn’t say anything but was internally raising my eyebrows. She seems to think it should be about 2-3, so there's a lot of misinformation out there, it seems.

Steady in the fives overnight, just off to sewing club and then on call again. Getting as much experience as I can over the holidays. Have a good one, my lovelies.

• Like Like x 7
  5. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I cook Basmati rice to go with the curries my OH loves (rice is off the menu for me, I'm afraid). I've never tried cooking other rice types. Would they go with Thai curries?

6. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning teabags,
    Favourite word from catch up session - diasoddingbetes. Yup. It’s proving harder than a hard thing to beat the morning lows and the late day rises. Just have to keep focussed, with the addition of a few choice words, sit back, let adjustments bed. I really just want to be left on a foreign beach with sounds of the sea, perfect climate and no need to calculate.
    Been pondering anthropomorphism. I don’t use it as a flight from reality but as a way of viewing reality. Hamish isn’t me, it’s a couple of bits of titanium and wear-resistant plastic, but it’s my own body that had work to do to accommodate it, and it was painful. It helped to give it a name that reminded me it was other.
    T1 is me, double cat, no tatty ones onboard. Real cat had a visit to the vet again yesterday after a lovely lump of blood in the poo. Yuk. Poor cat. He’s been expensively treated, irritatingly just £3 above the insurance excess. He’s big, and heavy, and the carrying of cat in a box from house to car then car to vet was tough. Where’s Schrodinger when you need him? Cat’s still very much alive though, he sang all the way there and all the way back. Do you need another band member @Jaylee?

• Like Like x 4
    • Hug Hug x 2
  7. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I saw the needle and thought of what T1s in ye olden days had to cope with.
    Vet said the steroid injection might or might not work. I valued his honesty and loved his teddy bear bow tie. Serious and fun.
    Had to take my badge off and I know why. Scary!
    Going to force myself into the garden, no sun, no energy or I could go back to bed
    "Vomiting coffee grounds" @Mel dCP sounds awful
    Really lucky in Oxford @WuTwo @MeiChanski as there are Asian, Indian, Polish so I can get most things
    Girding loins, got to, vet said there's muscle wastage. I wonder if it's edible

• Like Like x 4
  8. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I love actual test cricket - don't mind the one days but can't abide the 20 20 cricket where there's no time to get into it before it's over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Love the sound of the doctor's bow tie. Can't you get yourself a 4, 6, and a 7 badge, they are just as virtuous, and you could have different colours, and they'd look pretty "all in a row".

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Totally! Takes a little longer to cook and it is done when the texture is chewy. It's chewy but doesn't have that hard little bit in the middle that not quite cooked rice gets.

It is one of the highest anti-oxidant foodstuffs available, chockful of potassium, good source of protein and iron. Not like ordinary rice which is a mouthful of carb and not a lot else. The deep purple colouring in it comes from the anthocyanins it contains which are a known anti-cancer agent and do other good things - anti inflammatory and anti viral benefits.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Steroids can raise blood sugars, @SueJB, so don’t panic if you see them go up.
    I suppose in the old days we didn’t know there’d be smaller, finer needles, pumps that didn’t require Olympic levels of strength to carry around and ways of testing blood and interstitial sugars that didn’t mean regularly stabbing our selves so we were generally unfazed. Like Knikki, I didn’t bother with the big old finger pricked machine, just aim and and stabbed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Most certainly, A good Thai coconut curry with black or red rice is very yummy. :hungry:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@SueJB fairgodmother beat me to it, don't be surprised if your BGs are high for 'no apparent reason' after the steroid injection! One of the reasons I didn't go through with it a few years ago and my shoulder had started to ease by the time my GP said about the injection anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I can imagine how 4-12 is normal in paramedic terms, as they usually check bg of people in great bodily distress with illnesses and stuff. And possibly also normal as in 'this is not an emergency situation'. Should I be vomiting coffee grounds, having a heart attack or a burst appendix, and a bg of 11.8 I wouldn't in any way expect a diabetes team next to my bed upon arriving in the hospital.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Cricket commentary:
    Well, I would say that things could only get better as Warner should have been out the first ball, but he wasn't as the umpire didn't see that he nicked the ball and was caught behind. But he's out for 2 on ball 14 LBW. The video replay showed he wasn't out this time. Restorative justice? Lots of cheering. Me: I'm covering my ears. (I don't have Sky TV.)

I want to buy tickets for Lords. They only have blocks unseated 5 and 6 left? Does anyone know if they're any good?

• Like Like x 1
    #19535 ert, Aug 1, 2019 at 11:21 AM
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  16. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Also I guess there aren't that many of us having Coffee this morning ......................

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I guess I'm spoilt rotten with Libre. I just found out it's change day today (4 hours left on current sensor) and I forgot to shoot in a new one yesterday.
    Let's see how long I can keep myself from activating this one...

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Japes

Garden won and it's now looking tidy enough to keep the unofficial Neighbourhood Watch off my case (Being the only one my end of the road with a garden who is under 65, maybe 70?, in excellent health and in full-time employment, I do get some leeway from them once they realised that I do my best with a job I hate.)

Henry the Hoover is about to emerge from the cupboard for a half an hour's whizz around before lunch, then I'm off to spend my pay rise.

• Winner Winner x 3
  19. Japes

Well, maybe not Proper Coffee!

20. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Dyou know, I was just thinking that would be fun @Alison54321

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook