What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG this am was 5.8..a repeat of last tuesday morning according to my chart.
so happy with that.

All this talk of bread had me curious and as i'm off my food i thought a childhood fav might be useful.

Now i thought i had hung up my egg cups for the last time when i got serious about getting my T2 under control.

But i've been toying with 90 second bread, and so far it's the closest i've got, using the LC recipes to a BUN.
LINK

And i think i had a eureka moment.
Set the mix up in a square dish, toasted then buttered.. then cut up into
slices

Ok..soldiers..;)....:D

very tasty.

View attachment 34701

i do a mix of 15g of walnuts (cos i have them most mornings)
and 15g of Linseed/flaxseed, because i bought a packet or two when i was 'trying' to learn to bake..
(don't ask :sorry:...:banghead:.)..around 6g of carbs per bun. 20% of daily fibre, 14% of magnesium, 31% of calcium
IF i'm reading the nutrition guide right.

What a cool egg cup! (And it's so pretty too.) I've read about toast soldiers for years and years but this is the first time I've ever seen some. Actually I've probably tried making some for myself at some point during those years but it's nice to see some made by someone who actually knows what they are.

FBG 6.5 and the lovely fog that greeted me at the window has lifted. :( I love a nice fog, as long as I don't have to drive through it.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:facepalm:You shouldn’t talk bread. I love bread. But it spikes me.

I have been wanting some for awhile. But was resisting...then all this talk of bread here sent me to Lidl to get their freshly baked low GI seeded batch.

So I had a slice (well, more of a chunk since you have to slice it yourself...)

Absolutely delicious, loads butter. Fell asleep in potting shed after with cat on top of me. Woke 3 hours later. Checked blood sugar. It was 7.7 before bread. Three hours later after bread it is now 10.1.

That is how much it usually rises. But had a lovely sleep because of it, and the sun shining on potting shed.

Rest of bread is now torn up and in bin. Yes I usually do this because I will be tempted tomorrow. And then my blood sugars will then be in the 12’s. So I am not going there. I enjoyed this little relapse...

No bread at all now for a few months...
Don’t even like cuppa Keto bread. I would honestly sooner go without.

I used to love Burgen bread, but it’s not available any more round here.

By the way do you remember Energen rolls. My mum bought them in the 50’s. I used to love them as a child. No one else I know used to like them, they just pull a face.

So, no more talk of bread. You don’t want me to go off the straight and narrow again...do you?

:arghh::bag::banghead::bigtears::facepalm::eek::shifty:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a cool egg cup! (And it's so pretty too.) I've read about toast soldiers for years and years but this is the first time I've ever seen some. Actually I've probably tried making some for myself at some point during those years but it's nice to see some made by someone who actually knows what they are.

FBG 6.5 and the lovely fog that greeted me at the window has lifted. :( I love a nice fog, as long as I don't have to drive through it.

Hidden away in the Cupboard saskia..one of mums items i kept.
have some steel ring ones somewhere, so first call was that one..( Kinda nice coincidence, now i think of it...x)
and yeah FOG..:wideyed:..can't say i like it in any form..hate driving in it.:***:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:facepalm:You shouldn’t talk bread. I love bread. But it spikes me.

I have been wanting some for awhile. But was resisting...then all this talk of bread here sent me to Lidl to get their freshly baked low GI seeded batch.

So I had a slice (well, more of a chunk since you have to slice it yourself...)

Absolutely delicious, loads butter. Fell asleep in potting shed after with cat on top of me. Woke 3 hours later. Checked blood sugar. It was 7.7 before bread. Three hours later after bread it is now 10.1.

That is how much it usually rises. But had a lovely sleep because of it, and the sun shining on potting shed.

Rest of bread is now torn up and in bin. Yes I usually do this because I will be tempted tomorrow. And then my blood sugars will then be in the 12’s. So I am not going there. I enjoyed this little relapse...

No bread at all now for a few months...
Don’t even like cuppa Keto bread. I would honestly sooner go without.

I used to love Burgen bread, but it’s not available any more round here.

By the way do you remember Energen rolls. My mum bought them in the 50’s. I used to love them as a child. No one else I know used to like them, they just pull a face.

So, no more talk of bread. You don’t want me to go off the straight and narrow again...do you?

:arghh::bag::banghead::bigtears::facepalm::eek::shifty:

Yeah i made the same mistake..:***:

(and why do i hear that in Joe Pesci voice ? )

hugs for the Bread embargo :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are lots of bread police around (not on this thread where we are all openminded friends I hasten to add) but the last piece of the eating jigsaw when I went LC was to find a breakfast I knew I could really enjoy and not pretend to. I had to find a slice of toast that worked with my tea first thing and after trying lots of recipes, shop bought I finally settled on HiLo because it (to me) was the closest to real bread and wasnt too thin at 5g/ slice. I know some adore sourdough and homemade in a breadmaker and maybe a slice every now and again (as I did this last weekend) wouldnt burn the house down.
@jjraak lovely you had eggs in your mums egg ups and soldiers to comfort you young JJ. Hope you turn the corner soon. @gennepher glad you enjoyed your bread you should have put the rest in the freezer. Thats what I do with my HiLo, its already sliced and I freeze individual slices and toast only one each morning, cooled with loads of butter.
I remember Weightwatchers Worldwide stated that the hardest thing for people to reduce or eliminate was bread above everything else. It is such a basic food in every country on earth in all its forms.

Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hope your day gets better
Thanks PM...after a short snooze I finally managed to get myself organised...hair tidied threw some mascara on then off to London...all paperwork done...invoices delivered looking forward to doing absolutely nothing tomorrow apart from tidying this place.

Reactions: Viv19

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
remember Weightwatchers Worldwide stated that the hardest thing for people to reduce or eliminate was bread above everything else. It is such a basic food in every country on earth in all its forms.
I have bread every day...Tescos high protein bread at the moment...it's around 9 carbs per slice however I have to have bread.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have toast for breakfast almost every morning. I usually buy oat bread because oats are said to be heart-healthful.

@PenguinMum I like your practice of freezing bread. When I was growing up, if we had a little leftover bread no one would eat we would tear it up and toss it out onto the patio for the birds to eat. They always flocked right to it and Mama didn't like to overindulge in starchy foods.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks PM...after a short snooze I finally managed to get myself organised...hair tidied threw some mascara on then off to London...all paperwork done...invoices delivered looking forward to doing absolutely nothing tomorrow apart from tidying this place.

I wouldn't even do any tidying. ...

Well, I might make the bed ... do the dishes ... oh, shoot, so much for my dream of doing absolutely nothing ... and now I remember I was going to mop the bathroom floor ....

Don't do as I do. Take a proper day off! You deserve it.

So do I ...

Off now to empty the vacuum cleaner. ... Must get back to the KittenCat on how to scoop one's own litterbox ...

:D

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are lots of bread police around (not on this thread where we are all openminded friends I hasten to add) but the last piece of the eating jigsaw when I went LC was to find a breakfast I knew I could really enjoy and not pretend to. I had to find a slice of toast that worked with my tea first thing and after trying lots of recipes, shop bought I finally settled on HiLo because it (to me) was the closest to real bread and wasnt too thin at 5g/ slice. I know some adore sourdough and homemade in a breadmaker and maybe a slice every now and again (as I did this last weekend) wouldnt burn the house down.
@jjraak lovely you had eggs in your mums egg ups and soldiers to comfort you young JJ. Hope you turn the corner soon. @gennepher glad you enjoyed your bread you should have put the rest in the freezer. Thats what I do with my HiLo, its already sliced and I freeze individual slices and toast only one each morning, cooled with loads of butter.
I remember Weightwatchers Worldwide stated that the hardest thing for people to reduce or eliminate was bread above everything else. It is such a basic food in every country on earth in all its forms.

I would know the bread is in the freezer. And I would be longing for it. I have tried that. It didn’t work for me. I kept opening the freezer.

So I am happy in one of the bluest of blue moons to buy that particular one just for one slice and ditch the rest. One day I may actually totally get over that occasional urge for bread. I’ve done it with other foods. Like you say it is the hardest thing, but there is a chance I will get there.

Depends what my fbg is tomorrow morning. If it has gone into double figures because of the bread, then I can assure you, it will be months before I am tempted again...

>^..^<

Reactions: Viv19

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would know the bread is in the freezer. And I would be longing for it. I have tried that. It didn’t work for me. I kept opening the freezer.

So I am happy in one of the bluest of blue moons to buy that particular one just for one slice and ditch the rest. One day I may actually totally get over that occasional urge for bread. I’ve done it with other foods. Like you say it is the hardest thing, but there is a chance I will get there.

Depends what my fbg is tomorrow morning. If it has gone into double figures because of the bread, then I can assure you, it will be months before I am tempted again...

>^..^<

I do that with chocolate.

Reactions: Viv19 and Debandez

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You will get it done.
Nothing like a short deadline to focus the brain.
The sword of Damacles will not be hanging over you any more...with this particular issue.

A very short deadline focuses my brain pin sharp. And then when it’s done..how come that was so easy, I think...

You’ll do it @Krystyna23040

Hugs from the basket of bottomless hugs for when you need them!
Thank you @gennepher - I think my brain works like that also. Am already feeling a lot more positive about the challenge.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the way to Wednesday ...

30783-bd15d871c85abcacb020228301f2df63.jpg

Attachments

• image (1).png
    image (1).png
    664.2 KB · Views: 111

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surprise surprise...
fbg is 8.7 at 5am

I have no idea how. It usually takes me a couple of days to get my sugars down after eating bread and my reading going high because of it. Yet this time...

No rhyme or reason...

Windy out there
Have a good day
Got to dash...
Lots to do...

>^..^<

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good choice, I think it should be something established that many could have in stock,

But I wonder if it needed to really be the same for all of us..(though that would be better for comparisons) bread does seems the bogey, and it's pretty uniform in shape-ish so easy to see the measures. IE; one slice

We would after all only be measuring OUR OWN reactions and changes in this experiment so if we kept it uniform to ourselves, as to what we could find locally, the data would still be valid

Is kingsmill no crust an actual product, debs?

As for bread per se...much as I like it, I reckon many see it as empty calories or carbs wastage, if on a low carb diet...?
Yes kingsmill no crust you can get from Tesco or Morrisons. Or you could just cut crusts off bread of your choice!!! Haha

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a 6.0 this morning, need to get to the hospital nice and early to return their machine. Had a restless night, which I put down to wearing the darn thing so it will be interesting to see the results in Nov. Have a great day :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think yesterday I was very unwise. I confided in a group of my long term clients that I was struggling to get started on some coursework. My problem is that I work really well to deadlines and for this particular qualification I have been told that there is no deadline - I can complete it at anytime in the future. So for the last two years there have always been more pressing things to do.

My other problem is that I am a perfectionist and this coursework is difficult and the questions ambiguous so I know that I won't get really high marks like I usually do and actually might not pass - which is another reason I can't complete it.

My clients promptly decided that they would set me a deadline - that I must have it finished and submitted by Sept 2 when classes start back again. They will check up on me and as I really know these clients very well I know that they will check up on me. They are a very assertive group!

So today I am torn between the horror of actually doing this very hard coursework over my 3 week break - and relief that I actually might complete it and it will be no longer hanging over me like a dark cloud.
Could you put the question into Google. Someone may have been in the same boat and left help for others. I did this for my son who was applying to become prison officer. Big help.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never seen hi-lo on my travels sadly.

Reactions: HarryBeau