What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with that. Always interesting to read experimental bread recipes. Will you be using a finely ground almond flour?
Hi there. Yes, I like the nutty taste of the milled linseed (flax) "bread" but even when blitzed I think 100% linseed is too heavy to rise. I'm thinking that an even split of linseed/almond, finely ground in my food processor, plus eggs, a little oil, lukewarm water, salt and some baking powder should work. Very few carbs in this, but lots of fibre. I will share details when I have repeated a success. Note: Apologies to the American lady if I end up just copying her recipe. Credits will appear.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.5 today. Happy.

I've put my leaflet out on my social media platforms. Just want to share this with you from someone trying to help their dad.

'Thank you very much Debra for spending the time to send these.
I'm going to print them and sit with my dad to explain them.
I switched his cereal for eggs/bacon/greek yog /berries earlier this year after following David Unwin and his latest checkup showed a large fall in HbA1c. It was tough to get him to listen and change for a long time. But I realised trying to change lots was confusing him a lot so thats why I reverted to just starting with breakfast and that's now become routine for him. So now it's time to step it up a level and these materials will help so much with that'

What a great way to do it, in stages.

Thank you for your feedback on the 2 x LC lists. Really helped. Just off for an 11am meeting about the presentation so have to dash. Catch up later.

Have a good day everyone.

What a great way to begin.
Top marks that person.

Good luck out there @Debandez

A pert 5.6 at 11am..

Could quite get used this 'being a gentleman of leisure" lark...;)

A delicious breakfast while listening to the train battering down, stopped for the moment but predicted and expected to restart in a bit.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2nd reply from the same gentleman. Just fir info.

'A bit more detail on the breakfast change is that he and my mum were telling that their beloved shredded wheat was fine for him because the box shows it has "no sugar". I explained (as you know) about the carb content that breaks down into glucose and they looked at me as though I was tryi g to trick them.

So I asked them not to trust me, but to trust the blood glucose test. So I asked them to do an experiment and to do a test 1 hour after his cereal the next morning. His bc went from 6 to 16! The next morning their challenge was to eat bacon and eggs and to repeat the bc test. This time his bc went from 6.1 to 6.2! They were both gobsmacked with the effect the cereal was having. And suddenly they completely trusted me now that there was actual evidence in front of their eyes.

And best of all my dad is enjoying his new breakfasts more than he ever did his cereal. With the benefit of not craving mid morning snacks'

Getting some very positive messages coming through. I'm absolutely delighted.

Been to the meeting about the presentations. It's a 20 minute slot shared between the 2 pts that help other pts. But every little helps. Lots of influential people there so great networking op. Happy with that. Will keep you informed.

Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fbg 8.1

Looks like a nicer day outside than yesterday.

I have been thinking a week or so now of re reading my book eat right for your blood type.

I bought it early 2000's and I thought nah, at the time.

About 2010 a friend insisted it was good and it solved her fibromyalgia and this that and the other. So I read it again. But again I thought nah...

Yesterday I re read it properly. And I think I could be more into trying it out. At least to the point of perhaps avoiding all the foods it says avoid. There are neutral foods which are ok. But it is better to go with the good foods for your blood type.

According to this book I am eating too much meat for my blood type. And this is the reason I am not losing weight. I have been losing weight, but I plateaued again.

I was already thinking maybe I was eating a lot of meat and maybe to try and introduce more fish. And the book tells me I should be eating more fish. So I am okay with that.

By the way I am AB positive.

So, I will be looking into it more today. And researching online about this and diabetes.

Any thoughts any of you had would be welcomed, even if you are dead set against it and give me a reason why.

I will be doing this gradually anyway, because I have only relatively recently got out of the double figures. I want to be able to get nearer to a 6 to 7 more regularly in my during the day readings.

Have a good day. It looks nice outside. Hopefully it continues.

>^..^<

A friend of mine told me about that book ages ago and I've wanted to read it but I've had a horrible time trying to get a doctor to find out what my blood type is. How did you find out yours? Regular doctors don't test for it here, you have to go to a special place and the only one I know of is a long way from where I live and in a neighborhood that's basically a no-go area.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A friend of mine told me about that book ages ago and I've wanted to read it but I've had a horrible time trying to get a doctor to find out what my blood type is. How did you find out yours? Regular doctors don't test for it here, you have to go to a special place and the only one I know of is a long way from where I live and in a neighborhood that's basically a no-go area.
That sounds strange to me. Surely it should be in your medical records. If you were unfortunate enough to have a catastrophic bleed that would be the most urgent piece of information required. Have you ever had any surgery in your lifetime, again it would be in your notes. Good luck, hope you find out, just for peace of mind.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yes, a no go area is no good.

I was tested when I had my eldest child and got given a blood donor card with the details on.

Could you offer to become a blood donor ? And presumably they would find out your blood type?

You need only go the once...probably?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much @PenguinMum Yes I have an allergy to Chlorhexidine which is a common antiseptic. The evil eye drops could contain this, which would explain my severe adverse reaction last time. I will ask, as you suggest.

Edit + 90 mins. Contacted the regional NHS Retinopathy Testing Unit. Told them of my allergy. Their response? NO WAY am I to be given ANY eye drops, without a prescription from my doctor! Complete ban! (Phew, what a relief.)
Thats a job well done..glad you got it sorted. I have to avoid iodine because of a severe allergy to lobster (but no other shellfish so far, which is odd but I am thankful cos I just love seafood).

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@True Blue just to add many years ago I had bouts of Uveitis (aka Iritis) and couldnt tolerate the usual treatment drops and was put on preservative free single use drops that I had to keep in a fridge. With eyes I kind of think you are always going to need the gentler option if that way inclined. Of course these cost a lot more for the NHS God bless them! Always hugely grateful for good treatment.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So glad to hear that Ian, hope its enough for a gentler time on Thursday :)
Thanks but Thursday will, hopefully, settle 1 issue gentle or not . May have spoken too soon though- not a good idea to try more moving and less drinking. Hopefully, lesson learned but I really can't stand just sitting about unless there is sport to watch:arghh:

Last edited:

Viv19

Offer to become a blood donor??

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopefully you enjoyed/liked it. Played that whole album but specifically that song to distraction back in the day. Never did knit my own muesli though (but it appears every contributor to Diet Doctor does.)

I love that. I first heard it in Love Actually. Thank you for posting this link, Ian. :)

I can't even remember which number needles were best for knitting muesli. I never learned macrame either. Wonder if these would work? ;)

KKT-KCP0119A.jpg

Reactions: Debandez

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love that. I first heard it in Love Actually. Thank you for posting this link, Ian. :)

I can't even remember which number needles were best for knitting muesli. I never learned macrame either. Wonder if these would work? ;)

KKT-KCP0119A.jpg
Had to google Love Actually - don't really do fillums. Sound track includes Joni Mitchell (Both sides now) so at least I would like 2 parts of it.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
fbg 8.1

Looks like a nicer day outside than yesterday.

I have been thinking a week or so now of re reading my book eat right for your blood type.

I bought it early 2000's and I thought nah, at the time.

About 2010 a friend insisted it was good and it solved her fibromyalgia and this that and the other. So I read it again. But again I thought nah...

Yesterday I re read it properly. And I think I could be more into trying it out. At least to the point of perhaps avoiding all the foods it says avoid. There are neutral foods which are ok. But it is better to go with the good foods for your blood type.

According to this book I am eating too much meat for my blood type. And this is the reason I am not losing weight. I have been losing weight, but I plateaued again.

I was already thinking maybe I was eating a lot of meat and maybe to try and introduce more fish. And the book tells me I should be eating more fish. So I am okay with that.

By the way I am AB positive.

So, I will be looking into it more today. And researching online about this and diabetes.

Any thoughts any of you had would be welcomed, even if you are dead set against it and give me a reason why.

I will be doing this gradually anyway, because I have only relatively recently got out of the double figures. I want to be able to get nearer to a 6 to 7 more regularly in my during the day readings.

Have a good day. It looks nice outside. Hopefully it continues.

>^..^<

Is the book talking about lectins, the so called blood type diet?
Never quiet sure about this sort of stuff and would want to see evidenced based research; something like a double blind large group piece of research that has been replicated, not something based upon observational so called “research”.
Anyhow, good luck with it.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is the book talking about lectins, the so called blood type diet?
Never quiet sure about this sort of stuff and would want to see evidenced based research; something like a double blind large group piece of research that has been replicated, not something based upon observational so called “research”.
Anyhow, good luck with it.

Yes, it is.

I can't find much online about it, except it was popular at one time, as many things are.

I've some friends who are looking into it at the moment. So, I thought I would look again since I have the book.

I am still sticking with LCHF, because that has helped me the most so far stabilise my blood sugar figures. And I think there are some suggestions in the book I wouldn't do because of my type 2 diabetes, and because of meds I take (but that is true of any way of eating). And I am still sticking with my protein breakfast in the morning because that seems to stabilise my blood sugars for the day. But I want to see if there is anything I can take from this book. Obviously I will be checking my blood sugar readings as I go along.

Thank you :happy: