NHS England seeking community views for new type 2 diabetes website

DCUK NewsBot

The views of people with type 2 diabetes are being sought to help inform the development of a new NHS England website. The NHS is creating the resource for adults with the condition to provide education and information, offer emotional support and help and advice about lifestyle, diet and exercise. The website will be the first service of its kind from NHS England. As part of the consultation, NHS England also wants to hear from family or friends who may support someone with type 2 diabetes as well as healthcare professionals. While type 2 diabetes rates have increased in recent years, there is significant research to show that eating a healthy, real-food diet can help people put the condition into remission. Last year, the one-year outcomes of Diabetes Digital Media's Low Carb Program revealed one in four users achieved type 2 diabetes remission. To complete the 10-question survey, click here. It will be live until Monday 2 September, 2019. Once the feedback is gleaned, the website will be developed by NHS England and Improvement as well as Public Health England and charity Diabetes UK. An NHS England spokesperson said: "The new offer will mean people with type 2 diabetes have evidence-based information and support available at the touch of a button, via an online portal, giving them convenient and quick help to deal with the physical and mental challenges of diabetes. "The resource will make the right advice available from home, work or on the move, helping people manage their health and wellbeing independently, potentially preventing the need for extra medical attention or the condition becoming worse. "The survey will take less than five minutes to complete and your answers will help to shape the new website. Responses will be completely anonymous and there are no right or wrong answers."

Continue reading...

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to break off taking the survey - it is some sort of joke, surely - they are bothered about the name - should it take this or that tone, how about role play? - what should it offer - well not some PR exercise that's for sure.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to break off taking the survey - it is some sort of joke, surely - they are bothered about the name - should it take this or that tone, how about role play? - what should it offer - well not some PR exercise that's for sure.

And the survey monkey doesn’t work with an iPad - text fields don’t bring up the keyboard.

DawnOfTheZed

Well I tried to complete but unable to add anything to Q5 using iphone. So I don't think my survey views were added. Not impressive but this is from NHS who push Eatwell so what to expect. Disappointing!

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And the survey monkey doesn’t work with an iPad - text fields don’t bring up the keyboard
Same problem and looking at questions it does not fill me with confidence the survey will be of any help.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same problem and looking at questions it does not fill me with confidence the survey will be of any help.

Well if they can’t design a survey there’s very little hope for the website. Probably about as much use as the Eatwell plate.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also tried and got very annoyed both by the survey not working on iPad and the questions most of them about name and appearance and very little about content which is what should be most of the consult - or maybe they already know the content?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also tried and got very annoyed both by the survey not working on iPad and the questions most of them about name and appearance and very little about content which is what should be most of the consult - or maybe they already know the content?

Will it just be Eatwell 1.1..or a full on rollout of 2.0
with a starter pack of ND for 12-20 weeks as per
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(19)30068-3/fulltext

Its NHS England.
Not surprised by the ineptitude.

Reactions: Goonergal

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Done on laptop...no issues.

agree some obscure question, i guess based on how they want to market it,
and we are the experts and the market, to a large degree.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would encourage everyone to fill this in, if possible.

I did, and found plenty of opportunities to point out the importance of using up to date research, with good references (so that readers can verify that information on medications and dietary control, etc. are being supported by rigorous evidence based research) ;)

I also managed to point out that the whole ethos of the site needs to be placing the patient firmly in control, with encouragement and information on reversing their T2 (where possible) using low carb, defatting liver (with low carb), halting complications (via low carb) and reaching an understanding of why their bodies had failed (on a high carb diet).

Another important point (IMHO) was the unfortunate association of the blue NHS colour scheme, and the Diabetes UK blue colour scheme, giving a lot of T2s the impression that DUK speak with NHS authority. When in fact DUK is a charity with an ongoing reluctance to encourage new and proven low carb efficacy.

So I suggested that the new website have a new colour scheme and logo to distance themselves from DUK (blue) and DCUK (red). Since I feel that many people associate the blue DUK logo with the NHS and then take their advice as gospel, when much of it is outdated.

Obviously this would have a double benefit that this DCUK website and this DCUK forum (with red logos) will not be associated with it either - since it is very likely to revert to standard Eatwell CICO East Less Move More advice. :)

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess they don’t really want people completing the survey. I don’t have a desktop or laptop, and the survey won’t work on phone or iPad.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
This is, presumably, an issue with Survey Monkey?
Which is a surprise, because Apple kit is all over the place in the NHS.

Edit: you can apparently get a SurveyMonkey App for the iPad; this might be worth trying.
Also, make sure that you are using the phone or tablet in landscape mode.
On my Android tablet a lot of web sites don't work properly (or at least work differently) in portrait. Including one well known Diabetes Forum.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up mainly because the screen kept fading out on me (using a PC). I'm in agreement with @Resurgam - and from the questions I actually managed to see and answer I got the impression it wouldn't end up as a genuinely useful information resource.

Robbity

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think any survey that dictates "This question requires an answer" is hardly user friendly.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up mainly because the screen kept fading out on me (using a PC). I'm in agreement with @Resurgam - and from the questions I actually managed to see and answer I got the impression it wouldn't end up as a genuinely useful information resource.

Robbity

Same here. They kept fading out on my PC, and I cannot for the life of me see how our answers will be helpful.