To lie or not to lie?

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, so I am a low carber! I am pregnant, I am on low levels of insulin... I had diabetes which resolved and now have gd back!

I am being harassed by the diabetes nurses and Dr's because they want me to eat carbs... I argued with them and refused, I explained that I had been able to low carb the entire last pregnancy and didn't need any medication (I am not in ketosis now which is why I feel I need meds) they told me I will loose my baby that it creates an acidic environment for baby and that she doesn't like being in that environment.

If I add carbs my bgls will rise dramatically and I will not be able to control them which I think is an even worse position for her to be in.

Everytime they call and each visit they ask me if I have been able to add carbs to my meals... I have been telling them the truth, telling them the meals I eat... but recently it just got really stressful, I had a group of them in hospital have a go at me trying to make out I'm going to kill my baby, I stood my ground but they called later and asked if I had added carbs (I told them no I wouldn't at the hospital because I disagree with them)...

I want them to see that low carb diet isn't harmful (I did have a baby on this diet at a different hospital which supports low carb and he was really good and actually he is now well built, tall, eats everything and very clever)... but I don't think they will listen or learn from this... so should I just tell them I'm eating carbs which isn't helpful to other woman in my position but keep my sanity and stop them harassing me or should I just keep standing my ground and telling them I'm not eating extra carbs?

Heatherlou18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wednesdays
Hey! Have they given you an idea of how many they want you to eat?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Are you able to consider in your diet, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, courgettes, cucumber or cabbage; this would satisfy them and keep you low carb. Slathering YOUR baby is insulin and sugar is not the best idea I have heard of.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wasn’t there a thread a while back where it was posted that baby is in ketosis in the womb?

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey! Have they given you an idea of how many they want you to eat?
Lol, chocolate, pizza, chips, bananas etc the diet sheet made me laugh... limit fish and meat, cheese etc and load up on carbs. 80g of porridge for breakfast that sort of thing. There was so much sugar I couldn't believe it... even my husband was shocked with the list. They follow the healthy living plate apparently. I should be having a pudding with lunch and dinner!

Last edited:

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you able to consider in your diet, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, courgettes, cucumber or cabbage; this would satisfy them and keep you low carb. Slathering YOUR baby is insulin and sugar is not the best idea I have heard of.
Yep I eat all of these veg but they want me to eat pasta, rice, bread, apple crumble with custard was on the list along with different chocolate bars like kitkat, I went through it with her and said that I would be on huge amounts of insulin if I followed that.
I eat loads of mushrooms and broccoli, cauliflower cheese, asparagus, much to my husband's dismay I also eat cabbage. I love coleslaw with omelette and lentil soup, but they still aren't happy! Each meal is balanced and healthy (healthier than what they want) it has plenty of veg, with meat or fish, cheese plenty of salad!
I told her I eat till I'm full on this diet... I am comfortable with this food!

Reactions: Mbaker

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rather than lie, could you count your carbs (carby veg) carefully, and respond with “yes I am eating carbs, I’m eating between 30-50g a day” (or however much, if it’s carbs they can assume it’s from their foods) Maybe up your milk intake, that’s surprisingly high in carbs.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rather than lie, could you count your carbs (carby veg) carefully, and respond with “yes I am eating carbs, I’m eating between 30-50g a day” (or however much, if it’s carbs they can assume it’s from their foods) Maybe up your milk intake, that’s surprisingly high in carbs.
Yes, I have a 200ml glass of full fat milk each day.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Yep I eat all of these veg but they want me to eat pasta, rice, bread, apple crumble with custard was on the list along with different chocolate bars like kitkat, I went through it with her and said that I would be on huge amounts of insulin if I followed that.
I eat loads of mushrooms and broccoli, cauliflower cheese, asparagus, much to my husband's dismay I also eat cabbage. I love coleslaw with omelette and lentil soup, but they still aren't happy! Each meal is balanced and healthy (healthier than what they want) it has plenty of veg, with meat or fish, cheese plenty of salad!
I told her I eat till I'm full on this diet... I am comfortable with this food!
I think you are doing a great considered job. I feel embarrassed for them if they feel custard and Kitkat will enable your baby to thrive; of the foods you mention only rice is "real" and a whole food. Glucose is demand driven, so if your body needs to make more, it will not be shy in doing so, so long as you also keep fat and protein adequate. The fact that you are doing carbs anyway covers all bases.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, so I am a low carber! I am pregnant, I am on low levels of insulin... I had diabetes which resolved and now have gd back!

I am being harassed by the diabetes nurses and Dr's because they want me to eat carbs... I argued with them and refused, I explained that I had been able to low carb the entire last pregnancy and didn't need any medication (I am not in ketosis now which is why I feel I need meds) they told me I will loose my baby that it creates an acidic environment for baby and that she doesn't like being in that environment.

If I add carbs my bgls will rise dramatically and I will not be able to control them which I think is an even worse position for her to be in.

Everytime they call and each visit they ask me if I have been able to add carbs to my meals... I have been telling them the truth, telling them the meals I eat... but recently it just got really stressful, I had a group of them in hospital have a go at me trying to make out I'm going to kill my baby, I stood my ground but they called later and asked if I had added carbs (I told them no I wouldn't at the hospital because I disagree with them)...

I want them to see that low carb diet isn't harmful (I did have a baby on this diet at a different hospital which supports low carb and he was really good and actually he is now well built, tall, eats everything and very clever)... but I don't think they will listen or learn from this... so should I just tell them I'm eating carbs which isn't helpful to other woman in my position but keep my sanity and stop them harassing me or should I just keep standing my ground and telling them I'm not eating extra carbs?

You need Mary Cronk! Or at least her sayings.

"any further discussion will be taken as harassment from you"
"please provide me with your PIN number"

As for the 'acidic environment...what a wollop of cods that is. Do they really think eating potatoes has some sort of advantage?
I'm a recently retired Midwife and if you had told me what you are doing, I would have high fived you.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are you able to change hospitals and/or contact your care team for the previous pregnancy? This team sound totally clueless but obviously the last team weren't....

Maybe print out a list of articles that explain how nutritional ketosis is fine in pregnancy and is not the same as diabetic ketoacidosis?

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are calorie counting so want me to eat at least 1500 calories a day... I've never been able to eat that much, they are asking me specifically "have you added some carbs to your meals?" So it's either a yes or no answer... I am not starving myself but they are making out that I am!

I can't drink milk unfortunately, I had to cut it out if my tea as that was sending me into the 9s, I tried loads of different alternative and found soya was best (almond split and sank, hazelnut was nice to drink and so was coconut but not good in tea). I really am that sensitive.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
A few reference points worth taking next time maybe?

I know they are all from the same site, so maybe one would be helpful in educating them. Or you may well already have your own, ridiculous to be in the position you are in.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/pregnancy

https://www.dietdoctor.com/pregnant-heres-some-reading-for-you

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/gestational-diabetes-pregnancy

No one can force you to eat a certain way, if you are being constantly bullied then perhaps you could consider changing hospitals if possible or telling them to jam it or make a complaint.

If your blood work is looking good in general, then it would seem your way of eating isn't harming you?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@busydiabeticmum - I'm firmly in the "no lies" club. That does nothing for anyone.

Have you asked your pre-natal team to share the science with you, supporting their beliefs? Whilst if I am talking about something brand new, or unexpected with an HCP, I might have to initially stay quiet about contra views, for fear of communicating from inappropriate orofices, but if and when I have already done my reading, I am much less inclined to go along with the "Trust me, I'm a Doctor" approach.

Of course, this is an approach lots of HCPs aren't familiar with, but it does lead to some "interesting debates, and over-running appointments.

As someone who has never had children, never mind gestational diabetes, I haven't read enough to make a comment based on anything other than what my brand of common sense might dictate. Other brands of common sense exist. :eek:)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too am in the “no lies club.” Just remain firm in your resolve. Your diet sounds very very healthy. As someone who bought a healthy 7lb boy into the world with the occasional glass of Complan only, in the first 4 months. And a very restricted diet til the day he was born (Severe Hyperemesis which 37 years ago you got no medical help with) I would say bravo! Baby’s survive by drawing from all reserves in us.
Just to add didn’t have diabetes at the time.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m in the “no lies” camp too. You are confident that low carbing did not affect your previous child. I feel that high blood sugars would be more harmful. I’d be inclined to say next time they ask, that you had a previous low carb pregnancy without problems and refer them to your previous hospital team for confirmation, then politely say that you don’t want to discuss your diet anymore and request that your notes are marked accordingly (I have done similarly with my refusal to take Statins and they are rarely ever mentioned these days!) Your actions will not only help you but may well educate your current team on low carbing during pregnancy. Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy and please tell us how you get on.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you able to change hospitals and/or contact your care team for the previous pregnancy? This team sound totally clueless but obviously the last team weren't....

Maybe print out a list of articles that explain how nutritional ketosis is fine in pregnancy and is not the same as diabetic ketoacidosis?
Unfortunately I can't go to the other hospital, I tried that last time, though they were brilliant it was just too far, If I went into labour I wouldn't be able to get there in time... I would give birth in the car and still be over an hr away! it was a huge decision to make because I really don't like this, I didn't tell them until I was in my 3rd trimester and only because I knew I had to do it for the baby's health.

The problem is I see a consultant and several diabetic midwives... they all think the same thing. I gave that information to all of them and it's like I've said nothing. I stood my ground and told them I disagree with their theory and want to limit the amount of medication I take... after all that they are still calling me asking if I am adding the carbs "like they said"... it's patronising and condescending.

In previous pregnancies that I was with them for (not including the last one) I was eating less than they wanted (I just can't eat that much!) I was on huge amounts of insulin several times a day and would have hypos between meals while still having too high readings after meals. My babies were born with rds and they would say it was because I wasn't controlling my bgl and told me I was eating too much, it really made me cry everytime they told me to cut back on food when I was starving hungry.
The diet I'm on means I have great control of my bgl and I'm not starving myself, I told them this, but it sounds like it goes in one ear and out the other. I don't want to lie because I don't want them to think that their way of doing it worked and was right (remembering how they made me feel b4) but the stress they are putting on me is not good for the baby and is making me feel sick to the point of not being able to eat. I think it's a huge dilemma that a lot of diabetics go through with a team like this.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need Mary Cronk! Or at least her sayings.

"any further discussion will be taken as harassment from you"
"please provide me with your PIN number"

As for the 'acidic environment...what a wollop of cods that is. Do they really think eating potatoes has some sort of advantage?
I'm a recently retired Midwife and if you had told me what you are doing, I would have high fived you.
Thank you that really makes me feel better.