So finally it is type 1.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got my hba1c this time higher then ever.
My doctor do now think i have type 1 diabetes looking at my GAD results. Doctor was suggesting some insulin, but As I am still making some I opted to not take it at present.
I am very scared, i Don't know what should i do.
I cannot have pumps as they are very coslty.

Reactions: deborabaratto

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, well at least you know and can make a choice about what to do.

I don't know what your glucose levels are like? But I am not sure why you wouldn't want to start insulin, even if only in small doses.

Anything you can do to bring your a1c down is likely to be beneficial in the longer term.

Reactions: Prem51

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin is really beneficial in the early stages of T1. It bought my BG levels down to a safe level and I'm still making some of my own 2 years after diagnosis.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Plenty of T1s survive fine without a pump, me included. I've been T1 for 49 years, had 2 successful pregnancies, still lead an active life with limbs, eyes, kidneys etc etc all intact and working. I've been offered and have turned down a pump in the past.

Of more concern is access to insulin and blood testing strips. I really hope you don't live in the US, where insulin is unaffordable for many....
As a T1, insulin is your friend.

Good luck

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Insulin is the only treatment for T1.../ so you are only putting off the inevitable.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally your lucky that you've been given an option

Many of us (including myself) haven't had that, I was taken into hospital one night and put on a sliding scale and not allowed home until I showed I could inject myself

Most of us Type 1's still produce small amounts of insulin at the beginning it's called the "honeymoon" I produced some of my own up until the end of last year so that was 2 years, I still required bolus insulin for food but I was only taking 1 unit of basal but that came to an abrupt end so personally I'd take the offer of insulin before things got out of hand

MDI is generally what folk are started on so no need to jump straight to the thought of a pump either

Reactions: Prem51 and EllieM

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
How are your blood glucose levels looking?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
In your shoes, I would do what I could to protect what beta cell function is left for as long as possible; this means taking as much pressure off of the pancreas as possible. I know metformin can help with protection, so it might be worth asking your HCP if this is viable.

I think you may need to understand what is fuelling your objection to exogenous insulin, as this is in simple terms like a person with limited vision wearing glasses or contact lenses (apologies for the bad analogy, the point is that insulin is required). I am framing this response in what I would do with the education I have picked up; I would follow the Bernstein protocol, and become expert at the foods / lifestyle which work for my body to have the minimal amount of insulin intervention.

Whilst your anxiety is understandable, your path has been trodden by the Type 1 experts on this site, so you can decide either a higher carb approach or lower, with full confidence of the best advice. You are not going into this without support.

Reactions: Prem51 and Diakat

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Doctor was suggesting some insulin, but As I am still making some I opted to not take it at present.

Being type 1....you have very little choice in the matter

What was your A1C?

Has your GP referred you to hospital to the diabetes team there?

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hey!
I'm sorry you fell this way!
But try to see insulin as an ally other than the enemie - taking it, maybe just once a day, will probably protect the rest of your beta cells (which are the producers of insulin) and make your blood sugars better in the long run.
And there's a lot of techniques about how to apply the insulin which are painless - I use insulin pens and the small needles and I hardly feel it.
I hope you feel better!
And if there's anything else I can do, just ask :)
Debora.
My doctor do now think i have type 1 diabetes looking at my GAD results. Doctor was suggesting some insulin, but As I am still making some I opted to not take it at present.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Taking insulin will become second nature to you once you start. Just scary at first, it's an unknown factor and if you don't take it maybe you don't have the disease? But you will have to have it, you won't be able to live without it. I am assuming that your levels aren't that bad because they gave you a choice, so in the long run it's up to you. But I think it's easier to learn in small steps while you can right now?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @Veryanxious ,

Finally. Though, not as you can see with most of us as T1, "a finale.." A diagnosis need not bring the curtain down.

As others have enquired. What was your A1c?

What was the result of your GAD test?

Your Doc suggested insulin. Did he give any detail of what type was proposed?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Veryanxious, I thought your previous results indicated that you didn't have diabetes. You were just veryanxious. Type 1 and taking insulin isn't something that I'd wish on anyone.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Veryanxious, I thought your previous results indicated that you didn't have diabetes. You were just veryanxious. Type 1 and taking insulin isn't something that I'd wish on anyone.

Yeeeeah, thought that too... But sometimes I feel i'd like to develop a phone app like a T1 tamagotchi (for the non initiated.) or a "family planning " American inspired "baby think again?" Birth control for when your actually ready for kids...

But hey ho, there are also surprises regarding the preventative measures...

Reactions: porl69

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry being away for long, i was trying to cope up with the diagnosis.
I visited another endocrinologists according to him as my GAD antibody was 9.64 which is almost 10, suggest autoimmune and this correlates with my increased hba1c of 5.4 even afted low carb, which was 5.0 and 5.1 in past.
I am not taking insulin because i can still manage it on my own released insulin.
I am trying pkd to see if i can extend or may be increase my c peptides in future.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Diakat Lol, glad you asked, I was wondering that too. I just guessed at paleo keto diet lol. or partial keto diet, protein keto diet, possible keto diet ?????.....................Of course that counts on keto diet for the kd part, I'm sure it doesn't even have to be that!

@Veryanxious At least you know, that's important.

I could be wrong but I don't think a type 1 with antibodies can increase their c-peptide by how they eat? Your body will keep attacking your beta cells that make insulin no matter what you eat? There is controversy over if taking insulin early might help. I think the theory behind keto early for a type 1 is more along the lines of what your pancreas is making has a chance of still controlling your BG levels because your carb intake is low along with your insulin production being low/compromised. So hence you can delay the onset of insulin if you choose. Type 1/LADA's if caught early can delay taking insulin. You have time before you stop making insulin. Eventually a type 1 needs insulin.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me!.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diakat

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Sorry being away for long, i was trying to cope up with the diagnosis.
I visited another endocrinologists according to him as my GAD antibody was 9.64 which is almost 10, suggest autoimmune and this correlates with my increased hba1c of 5.4 even afted low carb, which was 5.0 and 5.1 in past.
I am not taking insulin because i can still manage it on my own released insulin.
I am trying pkd to see if i can extend or may be increase my c peptides in future.

These are all still normal results. You shouldn't have a care in the world with those numbers. Be happy. Enjoy life.

Reactions: Fairygodmother