What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Latest book has just landed on doormat - hope it’s as good as Billy Connolly suggested. Might be required reading for MP’s

upload_2019-9-2_13-57-52.jpeg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1 this Labor Day morning. Grumble grumble I hate holidays. The cable channels rearrange their schedules and the few good programs are replaced by some of the dumbest, un-funniest "reality" shows on TV. I hope their "plots" are not really reality for all their casts, crew, and fans.

Grumble over. Back to my own very good library book.
t9508.gif

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not long ago I watched two new programs about Woodstock that reminded me that we baby boomers -- the "Woodstock generation" -- were gonna change the world. Make love not money. Mm-hmm. Yeah yeah yeah.
I still don't know what happened.
Mr Tambourine Man (Melanie at Woodstock) and Jimi Hendrix - perhaps we all got wrapped up in the music or maybe Timothy Leary was right,
“We are dealing with the best-educated generation in history. ... The problem is that no one is giving them anything fresh. They've got a brain dressed up with nowhere to go.”

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mr Tambourine Man (Melanie at Woodstock) and Jimi Hendrix - perhaps we all got wrapped up in the music or maybe Timothy Leary was right,
“We are dealing with the best-educated generation in history. ... The problem is that no one is giving them anything fresh. They've got a brain dressed up with nowhere to go.”

One of the main reasons I wanted to study theology at Oxford was something I read in the prospectus, about coming away with more questions than answers. If an education gives a student anything, it should give the knowledge of how to ask more questions, to always seek for the fresh brain-food. I remember being in graduate school at the University of Alabama and being shocked by my two classmates from Harvard who answered most questions by quoting "authorities" instead of thinking out their own answers.

There is always somewhere for a brain to go ... as long as it's dressed up in hiking clothes.

Or leathers. ;)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the main reasons I wanted to study theology at Oxford was something I read in the prospectus, about coming away with more questions than answers. If an education gives a student anything, it should give the knowledge of how to ask more questions, to always seek for the fresh brain-food. I remember being in graduate school at the University of Alabama and being shocked by my two classmates from Harvard who answered most questions by quoting "authorities" instead of thinking out their own answers.

There is always somewhere for a brain to go ... as long as it's dressed up in hiking clothes.

Or leathers. ;)
There certainly are many more questions - quoting “authorities” - well, never quite sure about that - don’t “authorities” quote other “authorities” ...... a bit like published papers with loads of citations at the end in an incestuous loop of back slapping their peers - oh stop it. I do hope that Timothy Leary is not an authority though - except for perhaps taking drugs.
Love the idea of the leathers but I now wear textiles when riding my motorcycle - must be an age thing.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love the idea of the leathers but I now wear textiles when riding my motorcycle - must be an age thing.

Certainly an age thing in my case. Just goes to show how many ages it's been since I was riding. :) :(

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My day didn’t quite work out.
My foot appointment did. So that was sorted.

Then I went to the Designer Clearance Outlet to get my breakfast I promised myself at the Italian Restaurant. It was virtually zero carbs. A bit expensive but a treat I deserved.

I was also looking for shoes. But what I hadn’t realised was the children hadn’t gone back to school yet. So the place was heaving. I had been thinking Monday, so not many people...wrong, very wrong.

I went into Dr Martens. Not for me, but daughter from Oz is coming over and wanted some advance photos. I got permission and am photographing all the boots she is interested in and sending them to Australia via WhatsApp.

Then I went into a shoe shop for me, but it was bedlam. I sent her a pic of the screaming fractious fighting children, shoe fights, mothers who have totally lost control by the last couple of days of the summer holidays, and the mums trying vainly to keep their broods under control while trying to find school shoes that fitted...

“Leave!!!” she texted back.

“I am on hare speed, back to the car, on my mobility scooter” I replied

Then glowing in the dark recesses of an alley way I saw something...

“Detour...” I texted back to Australia...

Snapseed.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Hope there was no hypo overnight and that rises to where you need it to be. Take care.

I’m getting hypo after hypo at the moment during sleep hours

Daytimes are good so can’t complain

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes

Hmmmmm

Wondering if your weight loss and chocolate bar walking ( wispa ) means that you need to eat more prior to bed time to hold of on the night hypo's .

Reactions: Cumberland

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

You have my sympathy, Cumbs. Are the nighttime hypos something you can fix yourself, or do you have access to advice from health care providers? Either way, sincerely hope you can get relief as soon as. Take the best care you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cumberland

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My day didn’t quite work out.
My foot appointment did. So that was sorted.

Then I went to the Designer Clearance Outlet to get my breakfast I promised myself at the Italian Restaurant. It was virtually zero carbs. A bit expensive but a treat I deserved.

I was also looking for shoes. But what I hadn’t realised was the children hadn’t gone back to school yet. So the place was heaving. I had been thinking Monday, so not many people...wrong, very wrong.

I went into Dr Martens. Not for me, but daughter from Oz is coming over and wanted some advance photos. I got permission and am photographing all the boots she is interested in and sending them to Australia via WhatsApp.

Then I went into a shoe shop for me, but it was bedlam. I sent her a pic of the screaming fractious fighting children, shoe fights, and the mums trying vainly to keep their broods under control while trying to find school shoes that fitted...

“Leave!!!” she texted back.

“I am on hare speed, back to the car, on my mobility scooter” I replied

Then glowing in the dark recesses of an alley way I saw something...

“Detour...” I texted back to Australia...

View attachment 35423

So, although British babies perambulate while American babies stroll, once they grow to school age they all turn to fractious shoe fighting on both sides of the Atlantic!
t31048.gif

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1 this Labor Day morning. Grumble grumble I hate holidays. The cable channels rearrange their schedules and the few good programs are replaced by some of the dumbest, un-funniest "reality" shows on TV. I hope their "plots" are not really reality for all their casts, crew, and fans.

Grumble over. Back to my own very good library book.
t9508.gif

I HATE reality shows.

Shout, shout..scream scream, argue argue argue......aaggghh.

IF we must have them, lets make them interesting.

if they REALLY want to be FAMOUS so much...:rolleyes:

Let the public vote for them to die one by one..until only one is left alive
(think there should be a law about it)

did i mention i HATE reality tv shows.
cheap a**** tv.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I HATE reality shows.

Shout, shout..scream scream, argue argue argue......aaggghh.

IF we must have them, lets make them interesting.

if they REALLY want to be FAMOUS so much...:rolleyes:

Let the public vote for them to die one by one..until only one is left alive
(think there should be a law about it)

did i mention i HATE reality tv shows.
cheap a**** tv.
Oops
I get the slightest feeling you don’t like them?
I don’t even have a telly in my house, so I have no idea what delights I am missing.
Been tellyless for maybe 20 years now...

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a child I never thought I'd grow up to say this, but, I am always SO HAPPY when September comes and school starts again!
s0819.gif

I don't remember ever fighting over these, but back in the day they were THE school shoe:

4018233_orig.jpg

... for girls; for boys it was:

website-PF-flyers-1.jpg

(all too soon after the first day of school!) :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oops
I get the slightest feeling you don’t like them?
I don’t even have a telly in my house, so I have no idea what delights I am missing.
Been tellyless for maybe 20 years now...

And in the US we get the added delights (NOT!) of programs being abruptly interrupted by commercials which are even worse than the programs. I have sat here surfing from channel to channel and seeing nothing BUT commercials! One after the other, after the other, after the other ...

Typical ...

"Ask your doctor if the new miracle drug floxotonicdabbadotabmab will work for you!" While the people in the ad play in the park, swing on the swings, run up the mountain, swim 50 meters in one breath, hums with the hummingbirds, all to the voice-over: "Side effects may include mild-to-severe heartburn, chest/back/leg/toe/heel/stomach/elbow/litte finger pain, rupture of any or all vital organs, sudden shattering of leg/hip/ankle/toe/other bones, sudden loss of temper/appetite/ability to swallow/laugh/speak/hug/breathe ..."

followed immediately by a different commercial: "If you have taken the drug floxotonicdabbadotabmab and suffered hives/chills/sweats/headache/heartbreak/ or death, call the law firm of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe."